Parshas Toldos – November 25 – 26, 2022
Download the Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah -Shabbos Shorts
November 25 – 26, 2022 – 2 Kislev 5783 – Parshas Toldos
Light Candles by 4:30 – Havdalah 5:31
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by the Edeson & Stern Families to commemorate the Yahrzeits of their grandfathers & Esther Edeson's father-in-law, Joseph N. Edeson, Yosef Nosson Ben Moshe Sholom, A"H, on the 1st of Kislev and Esther's father, Nathan Salsbury, Nachum Ben Yaakov, A"H, on the 10th of Kislev,
and by the Franco Family to commemorate the 3rd Yahrzeit of their beloved father, grandfather and greatgrandfather, Nathan S. Franco, Nissim Ben Rachel, Z"L.
* Leah Covel of Jerusalem on the birth of twin grandchildren to Galya & Raphael Aderet of Leshem.
* Rene & Rami Isser on the birth of a grandson, Noah Zev, born to Ariel & Elana Isser of Teaneck, NJ. Mazal Tov to Noah Zev's aunts uncles and cousins: Pola & David and family, Esther & Yonatan and family, and Eitan.
* Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on being honored by the JLE (Jewish Learning Exchange) on November 14 for 25 years of service to London Jewry.
* Aliza & Adam Mervis on the birth of a boy. Mazal Tov to siblings Moshe, Miriam Bracha, and Elazar Simcha and to grandparents Sandee & Jay Mervis and Marcia & Larry Rosenthal. The Shalom Zachor will take place at 11501 Daffodil Lane this Friday night at 7:30 PM.
* Linda & Ed Zurndorfer on the birth of a grandson, Ezra Shalom (Aiden Theodore), son of Ariella & Dr. Juda Zurndorfer of East Brunswick, NJ. Mazal Tov to big brother Koby and the entire Zurndorfer and Roth families.
* Florence Binstock Avigan on the passing of her brother, Dr. Philip Plottel.
Minyan locations are B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash
* Light Candles by 4:30
* Mincha: 4:30 (B), 4:25 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:25 (B), 4:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends: 5:31
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Yonatan Gorin
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Hashkamah Minyan Group.
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by the Halpern and Wakschlag Families to commemorate the 4th Yahrzeit of Rabbi Jacob Halpern, Z"L (21 Marcheshvan), husband of Judith Halpern and father of Gila Wakschlag, and the 4th Yahrzeit of Mrs. Sheva Wakschlag, A"H (7 Kislev), mother of Rabbi Myron Wakschlag.
Thank you to Craig Simon, Seth Jacobson and all of the members of the Security Committee for the educational drill last Shabbos, and for consistently doing their utmost to help keep us safe.
* Any person eligible for a fully FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine (16 years of age or older), but who chooses to not be vaccinated may attend YISE Minyanim and events with the following guidelines. Unvaccinated individuals must remain masked at all times while in the Shul building, including at Kiddushes and/or other events containing food. Masks may not be removed to eat or drink. Exceptions will be made for private functions being held at the Shul, but that are not Shul sponsored events.
* Anyone with any of the following symptoms should not come to shul: fever of 100.4 degrees or higher, chills, muscle aches, sore throat, severe cough, headache, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose, or new loss of sense of taste or smell. If you have tested positive for COVID, you should follow the CDC guidelines.
* Masks are now optional for vaccinated adults and for children under 16.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Youth Announcements
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan will NOT meet this Shabbos, November 26.
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, November 26, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Shabbos Group for 5th and 6th Grade Girls will gather in the front yard of The House next to the Shul promptly at 10 am and go inside together. See flyer for details.
Junior Congregation for boys in grades 4 – 6 with Jay Marcus. Meet in the Lower Lobby at 9:55 and walk to the Yeshiva at 10:00. See flyer for details.
Dor L'Dor – The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment! Next session will take place on Motzei Shabbos, December 3, 7:00 PM in the Social Hall. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to sponsor. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura on the Parsha, now learning the Kedushas Levi. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Kedushas Levi's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos morning. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Rosenbaum. See flyer for details.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Following the Hashkamah Minyan, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
Trivia Night – December 17, 8:00 PM at YISE. RSVP at www.yise.org/trivia $12 in advance, $15 at the door. See flyer for details.
Ask the Rabbi – Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring different Halachic topics! This month's topic: Chanukah. The first 45 minutes is for Shailos submitted in advance and the last 15 minutes is for Q & A. Send in your questions to: AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, December 11. The program will take place on Tuesday, December 13, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM on Zoom A. For more info. and to submit questions by phone or anonymously, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com To sponsor the program, please contact the YISE office. See flyer for details.
Living Shabbos – Join YISE young professionals for a series on the laws of Shabbos with Rabbi Postelnek. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM. On Tuesday, November 29, the Shiur will take place at the Rubin home, 4 Fulham Court. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group contact Rabbi Postelnek at firstname.lastname@example.org Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/living-shabbos
Monthly Shalosh Seudos – First Shabbos of each month. To sponsor, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, ext. 103, or email@example.com Volunteers are needed to set up and clean up. Contact Ethan Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org to be part of the rotation.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee. Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, December 5 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Bug Checking Seminar – Hands-on presentation with Rabbi Sholom Tendler of the Star-K has been postponed to Sunday, December 11. For more info, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Kiddush Volunteers Needed from ALL Minyanim to help set up and
clean up for Kiddushes on Shabbos morning. Times vary. Let us know when you are available. Contact Barbara Price at 301-332-8181.
Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. For questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For other questions, contact Seth Katz at email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, provides assistance to families undergoing medical crises. For information, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at https://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all those who attend his Shiur.
8:45 Minyan Drasha
* Judith Halpern, to commemorate the 4th Yahrzeit of her husband, Rabbi Jacob Halpern, Z"L.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM, Zoom A, will not take place on Thursday, December 1.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM, will not take place on Sunday, November 20.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys – Zoom D.
* SCP (Semichas Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM at YISE. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Register online at https://thegreaterwashingtoncommunitykollel.com/scp See flyer for details.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM For more information, contact Rabbi Levy 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", in-person in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom G.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Metzia, Daf 3a. Wednesday evenings at 8:00 PM on Zoom H.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 or 929-205-6099 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, passcode Winter (phone 667362)
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 849 3898 4989, passcode 161699
Community Programs & Listings
Condolences to Rabbi Jeff Ifrah on the passing of his father, Avraham Amram Ifrah. Shiva is being observed at 3311 Heming Way, Pikesville, MD 21208, through Sunday morning. Visiting hours Motzei Shabbos from Maariv, 5:30 PM, until 8:00 PM. Shacharis Sunday morning 8:00 AM.
Kidney Donation Needed – Mr. Gerry Segelman, father of Micah Segelman, is in need of a kidney transplant. If you would consider being a kidney donor, please contact Rabbi Chaim Steinmetz at Renewal for more information at email@example.com or 718-431-9831 ext 209.
In Honor of Our Dear Friend Golda Jacobs, A"H, join Chabad of Silver Spring for an evening of women's learning and inspiration on November 30, 8:00 PM, at 519 Lamberton Drive and on Zoom at https://chabadsilverspring.com/zoom RSVP: ChayaWolvovsky@gmail.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, November 30, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM, in person in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
SHIFT – Shul Initiative For The Singles presents Meet the Shadchanim – Representatives from our many Shuls who know our local Baltimore singles. Sunday, December 4, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM for single men, 8:00 PM – 9:30 PM for single ladies. Motzei Shabbos, December 10, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM for single men, 8:00 PM – 9:30 PM for single ladies. *Representatives (e.g.,Married relatives, friends) of singles can come any time. Darchei, 3201 Seven Mile Lane. Pre-registration is required by email to email@example.comWe are looking forward to seeing you! Baltimore SHIFT.
"Light it Up – A Morning of Meaningful Music" – A free live, in-person, event for women (high school seniors and up), featuring Sorah Shaffren. Presented by The Robin Niman Mikvah Education Fund on Sunday, December 18, at 11:00 AM (doors open at 10:45), at YISE. Advance reservation required at https://mikvahemunah.com/2022/11/23/light-it-up
Siyum in Memory of Lisa Landy – Go to http://hadranalach.com/2514 to join a Siyum Mishnayos planned for the first Yahrzeit of Lisa Landy, Liba Hendel Bas Chayim.
Bring Some Warmth To Your Friends & Neighbors in Need – Donate warm food items to the Capital Kosher Food Pantry's Cold Weather Food Drive. We need your help to stock up on soups, hot beverages, hot breakfast cereals and more for the coming cold months. All food donations should be shelf-stable, factory sealed, well within the use-by date, and be marked with Star-K, OU, CRC, OK or Kof-K certification. For complete details, please visit: https://www.capitalkosherpantry.org/cold-weather-food-drive
Alshich on the Parsha with Rabbi Levy – Shabbat afternoon between Mincha and Maariv in the Franco Beit Midrash.
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, currently learning Bava Metzia. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday –
Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner), about 2.5 Daf covered each week. TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org The class will resume on Wednesday, November 30.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person, 7:30 AM in the YISE Social Hall.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:45 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:13 AM, Latest Netz: 7:11 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:29 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:28 PM, Earliest Shkia: 4:45 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 5:31 PM
December 2 – 3, 2022 – 9 Kislev 5783
* Light Candles by 4:27
* Mincha: 4:30 (B), 4:25 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:25 (B), 4:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:30
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 30 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: email@example.com
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager