Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 11 – 12, 2022 – 4 Adar I 5782 – Parshas Tetzaveh
Light Candles by 5:22 – Havdalah 6:23
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387
* Jennifer & Yitzhak Cohen and Abby & Chaim Tor on the birth of a grandson to Rachel & Natan Tor. Mazal Tov to Big Sister Nava and to great-grandmothers, aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Arlette Jacobson and Cheryl & Ken Jacobson on the birth of a grandson, Yoseph Shalom, to Elisheva & Gabriel Jacobson of Monsey, NY.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on the birth of a great-granddaughter, daughter of their grandchildren, Yehudis & Hillel Miller of Yerushalayim. Mazal Tov to grandparents D'vorah & Rabbi ShmuelMiller and Susie & Aron Bleeman and to great-grandmother Ilene Miller.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. LBM = Large Beis Medrash
* Light Candles by 5:22
* Mincha: 5:25 (B), 5:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), No Teen Minyan this Shabbos.
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:20 (B), 5:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 6:23
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Minyan Kiddush in a Bag is sponsored by the 8:45 Haimish Kiddush Group.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Teen Minyan will NOT meet this Shabbos, February 12.
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, February 12, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Masks required indoors for age 2+. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Talya Miller, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at email@example.com
Dor L'Dor – The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment! Next session will take place on Motzei Shabbos, February 12, 7:30 PM in the Social Hall. This Dor L'Dor is anonymously sponsored in honor of Rabbi Rosenbaum, for his remarkable leadership during COVID. See flyer for details.
Bat Mitzvah Program – YISE Youth presents a fun chesed program for Bikur Cholim! Sunday, February 13, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM in the Social Hall. RSVP by 2/7 to firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
* The YISE Board has mandated that everyone 16 and older who is medically eligible for an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to enter the Shul building.
* Masks are required for ALL people in the YISE Arcola building, whether vaccinated or unvaccinated, except for children under the age of 2.
* Given the current surge in COVID cases, we ask that you not remove your mask in Shul for any reason. If you need to remove your mask, please step out of the Shul.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building. There are no in-person Kiddushes at this time.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Hillel Shaps – Unraveling the Navi: Melachim Aleph
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person (Social Hall) and on Zoom F.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – YesodeiHatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women – Zoom I
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Sefer Bereishis
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. A new semester began on October 19. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studyingParashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 7th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom I: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
YISE Programs and Listings
First Aid and Infant/Child CPR Training – February 27, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM in the Social Hall. Learn life-saving skills from the experts. This class is perfect for young babysitters, new parents and grandparents! $5 per person. Registration required as space is limited. Register atwww.yise.org/cpr Please note: This class is NOT for certification. Contact LKor@yise.org with questions. See flyer for details.
Ruach Minyan – The next Kabbalos Shabbos Ruach Minyan will take place in the Social Hall this Shabbos, February 11. IY"H, our Baal Tefilah will be Adam Bashein! Mincha is at 5:25 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary, and following Mincha, those who are interested in the Ruach Minyan will go to the Social Hall for Kabbalos Shabbos. Bring your family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Seeing the Hand of Hashem…In Nature – A lecture series presented by the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. First lecture, "In Astronomy and Physics", Sunday, February 27, 8:00 PM on Zoom. See flyer for details.
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos mornings in the Social Hall. This week's Shiur will begiven by Rabbi Postelnek.
Kashrus in the Kitchen – Learn the background and practical laws of Kashrus. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & TamaraGoodman: 11611 Kemp Mill Road. Masks optional. Given by Rabbi Postelnek. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group, contact RabbiPostelnek at 571-340-0227 or email@example.com Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/kashrus-kitchen
Membership Directory and Shul Database Updates – If you have not already responded to our request to review the information sent about your phone numbers and email addresses in our Shul database in preparation for an updated Membership Directory, please do so as soon as possible. Please remember to confirm the information and/or send any changes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Kiddush in a Bag! While we are not yet back to regular in-Shul Kiddushes, we are happy to now offer Kiddush in a Bag for the 8:45 Minyan. To sponsor the Kiddush in a Bag, contact Simi Franco at email@example.com
Volunteers Are Needed Weekly to help assemble Kiddush in a Bag. If you can help please contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593- 4465 x403.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact:Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
* Simi Franco wishes her husband Sammy a very happy birthday!
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to the Shiurim sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Hedy Peyser in memory of her mother-in-law, Anna Peyser, Chana Leah Bas Rav Kalman, whose Yahrzeit is the 3rd of Adar.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday morning Mussar Shiur
* Elaine & Robert Leichter
* Leah Paretzky to commemorate the upcoming Yahrzeit of her father-in-law, Rabbi Martin Paretzky, Harav Mordechai Aryeh Ben Koppel, Z"L.
Community Programs & Listings
Mazal Tov to former YISE member Yitz Stokes on his engagement to Elizabeth Beneke of Greensboro, NC.
Kemp Mill Chills 5K/10K Race – The Montgomery County Road Runners Club will hold a race in the neighborhood on Sunday, February 13,starting at Kemp Mill Elementary School at 8:30 AM, and finishing by 10:30 AM. Course marshals with safety vests and flags will be stationed along the route to help vehicles safely cross the race course. We are not expecting major disruptions in traffic, but drivers should expect minor delays along the neighborhood roads. Additional details can be found at https://mcrrc.org/calendar-event/kemp-mill-chills-5k-10k-2022/ If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact the race director, Jefferson Lunsford, at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Capital Closet (formerly The Clothing Exchange) will be open to this community this Sunday, February 13, 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM. Come peruse our beautiful, curated selection of winter clothing for men, women and children. Our address is 1910 University Blvd. West in Silver Spring. We're in the brick house at the back of the parking lot. Masks are required in The Capital Closet. There is no charge for items in The Capital Closet, but donations to Yad Yehuda are always appreciated. For more information contact: email@example.com
Purim is coming and AMIT is selling beautiful Purim Cards at $3 each or 10 for $25, Please call Esther Edeson at 301-593-1468 or 301-593-4465 ext. 402 to order.
Hidden Miracle: Behind the Scenes in the Book of Esther – New LINKS series with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Wednesday nights at 8:00 PM, January 19 – March 9 on Zoom F. Register at https://linksgw.org/classes
Healthy Communities Program – Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington will host Rabbi Dr. Aaron Glatt, a noted infectious disease specialist, on Wednesday, February 16, 8:00 PM – 8:30 PM, for a virtual COVID-19 update. Registration information will be sent via community email lists.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, February 16, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Women's Online Shiur with Rabbi Yehoshua Levy- Free 1-hour shiur on Zoom on the first and third Sundays of each month at 7:15 PM. Topic: Eishet Hayil, with principles from Mesilat Yesharim and weekly Sidra. In English. All levels of ability are welcome. You needn't attend every Shiur, but RSVPs are requested. Contact Shiur Coordinator at email@example.com for details.
Send and Receive Mishloach Manot greetings and packages to your friends and neighbors throughout the area through Berman Hebrew Academy's Happy Purim program. For only $2.75 per name, you can share Purim greetings with up to anyone on our 2,000 family list. If you wish to be added to the database to allow others to send to you, and also to receive your personalized login code, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu- Please join Dirshu as it began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
New Year – New Volunteers – BCGW is growing and looking for more volunteers. If you have an interest in volunteering your time to help patients and their loved ones, we need you! BCGW provides professional volunteer training and ongoing support. Please visit our website www.bikurcholimgw.org and go to the volunteer tab to sign up.
Parsha Explorations with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Kemp Mill Synagogue, Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM at KMS and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. For men and women.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Birkat Hamazon with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person at 7:30 AM in the YISE Social Hall.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Purim Katan – Wednesday, February 16
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:41 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:09 AM, Latest Netz: 7:02 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:38 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM, Earliest Shkia: 5:41 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 6:31 PM
February 18 – 19, 2022 – 18 Adar I 5782
Parshas Ki Sisa
* Light Candles by 5:30
* Mincha: 5:30 (B), 5:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:25 (B), 5:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 6:31
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 16 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager