Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Likutei Torah, Hamaayan and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 19 – 20, 2021 – 8 Adar 5781 – Parshas Terumah/Zachor
Light Candles by 5:32 – Havdalah 6:32
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Aliza & Gil Chlewicki in memory of Aliza's father, Robert Sacknovitz, Reuvain ben Shaul Zissel, on the occasion of his 7th Yahrzeit on the 13th of Adar and by Merrily Katz to celebrate her forthcoming Aliyah to Karney Shomron to be with her family. She wishes the YISE congregation good health and best wishes.
* Bayla & Jeremy Goodman on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Amram, and to siblings Eliana, Azi, Doni and Mo. Mazal Tov to grandmother Gloria Feldman and grandparents Helene & Gary Goodman and all the great-grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Ali & Seth Jacobson on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Tuvyah. Mazal Tov to his sisters, and to grandparents, Robert Lederer and Hedy & Bruce Jacobson.
* Seth and Tuvyah Jacobson on completion of Shas Mishnayos in honor of Tuvyah's Bar Mitzvah.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss and Frieda Bart on the marriage of their granddaughter, Shoshana Bart, to Shlomo Gallor, both of Dallas. Parents are Rivka & Rabbi Evan Bart of Richmond. Mazal Tov also to Uncle Jonathan.
* Melissa & Chad Miller and Revital & Armo Hayun on the birth of a grandson to Allie & Lidor Hayun. Mazal Tov to the great-grandparents, Harriet & Ernie Brodsky, Jane & Stephen Miller, Jackie & Mazal Hayun, Moshe Perez and Terez Perez, and great-great-grandmother Chanina Hayun. Mazal Tov to all of the many aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Donna Lawrence on the passing of her mother, Minya Yudenfriend. The funeral took place on Tuesday. Donna is observing Shiva in Pennsylvania through Monday morning. She can be reached during Shiva at 240-355-6202. Please no calls from 12:00 Noon to 1:00 PM or from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM.
* Ephraim Natelson on the passing of his mother, Arleen Natelson. The funeral took place on Monday in New Jersey. Ephraim is observing Shiva through Sunday morning in New Jersey. He can be reached during Shiva at 301-500-6266.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan
If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* Light Candles by 5:32
* Mincha: 5:40, 5:35 (Sephardi)
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (5:50 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (4:41 PM).
* Shacharis: 7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 8:30 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 4:30, 4:45 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 6:32
* Outdoor Minyan – If you are interested in a Shabbos morning outdoor Minyan without a tent, subject to weather conditions, please email Ari Elias-Bachrach at email@example.com
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original registration form, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with details.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A, will not meet on Friday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A, will not meet on Thursday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A, will not meet on Friday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings at 7:30 PM, Zoom I.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom C (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the SamePage Gemara, Zoom B.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM, will resume March 4.
* For Women – Zoom D:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look-Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom H.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
Zoom C: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom E: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom F: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom I: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
YISE Youth Announcements
Dor L'Dor – Motzei Shabbos, February 20, 7:45 PM. Parsha, pizza, prizes and more – but this year virtual! Register by 10:00 AM, Friday, February 19, at www.yise.org/dorldor If you have any questions or would like to sponsor, please contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Communal Youth Zoom Hamantaschen Bake – Sunday, February 21, 11:00 AM. Joint event with YISE, Chabad, KMS and Ohr HaTorah. See flyer for details including Zoom ID and ingredients.
Purim Puppet Show – Morah Debby & Friends present Tzidky the Tzedakah Man. Sunday, February 21, 4:30 PM on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
Drive-Thru Purim Costume Parade – Sunday, February 21, 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM on Lamberton Court. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Camp Shomrai is back for another fun-filled summer with programming for children in preschool through ninth grade! Camp runs from July 5th through August 13th. For more info or to register online, visit our website at https://campshomrai.org See flyer for details.
Thursday, February 25
Fast Begins: 5:37 AM
Early Mincha: 1:00 PM
Late Mincha: 5:00 PM
Maariv/Megillah 6:30 PM
Registration required for all Davening and Megillah reading.
Fast Ends: 6:37 PM
YISE Programs and Listings
Registration for Taanis Esther Davening, Purim Davening and Megillah Readings – Register online at www.yise.org/survey The deadline has passed. Contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
Purim Shpiel – Sunday, February 21, 8:30 PM, on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
Purim Hamizrachi Magazines – Limited quantity available. If you are interested in getting one, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Matanos L'Evyonim may be brought to Shul Purim night for distribution on Purim. Checks to "YISE Charity Fund" or cash, in envelopes marked PURIM, may also be put through the mail slot at the home of Sahra & Yale Ginsburg at 11700 Fulham Street, from now through Purim night.
Amit Purim Cards – To order, contact the YISE office at 301-593-4465 x403 or email@example.com
Shatzer Matzah – Order Matzah at www.yise.org/matzah Regular, whole wheat, oat & spelt available. Order by March 1. See flyer for details.
Ask The Rabbi – This month's topic: Pesach. Tuesday, March 9, 8:00 PM on Zoom A. Send your Pesach questions to AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, March 7. For more information and to submit questions by phone, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org To sponsor the Shiur, contact email@example.com
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class – now on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, March 1, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration for Shomrai Preschool 2021-2022 is now open! We are excited to be offering a Torah-rich, child-centered program for children entering 2 year-old Nursery – 4 year-old Pre-K. School day runs from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Extended care options available from 7:30 AM -8:30 AM and 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM. Register early for maximum savings! Visit our website for tuition rates and online registration at https://preschool.yise.org/registration For more information about the program email Sarah Dollman at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha and Halacha Shiur
* Michal & Duvie Merkin for a Zechus for a Refuah Sheleimah for Michal's parents, Asher Zelig Menachem ben Mindel and Masha Sara bas Nissel Rivka.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray for a Refuah Sheleimah for Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend the Shiur.
* Ellen & Dr. Irving Haber to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Irv's mother, Chana Pesha bas Shlomo Kalman whose Yahrtzeit was the 2nd of Adar.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men
* Ellen & Dr. Irving Haber to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Irv's mother, Chana Pesha bas Shlomo Kalman whose Yahrzeit was the 2nd of Adar.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Shiur for Women
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner in memory of Sheftel Meir ben Naftali HaLevi.
* Diana & Leonard Ruchelman in honor of their children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren and their 60th wedding anniversary on February 12.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Drasha
* Simi & Sammy Franco in honor of five very special people: Bayla & Jeremy Goodman, Gloria Feldman and Helene & Gary Goodman and wishing them a heartfelt Mazal Tov on Amram's Bar Mitzvah.
Community Programs & Listings
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, February 24, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. International Speech contest! Cheer on your local Toastmasters. Winner goes on to Area contest. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Outdoor Community Megillah Readings are planned on Purim: Thursday evening, February 25 and Friday, February 26. Register online at https://wp.yise.org/kemp-mill-megillah beginning Motzei Shabbos, February 20, at 8:30 PM. See flyer for details.
20th Annual Purim Yahrzeit shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) – Friday, February 26, log on at 9:50 AM for Shiur at 10:00 AM SHARP! (The shiur will end no later than 10:20.) Zoom Meeting ID: 684 682 8415, Passcode: 613613, direct link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6846828415
The Franco Foundation Matanot L'Evyonim – The Franco Foundation helps Jewish individuals and families in our neighborhoods meet basic needs of food, clothing, and shelter. The need has soared because of COVID-19 Your entire donation for Matanot L'Evyonim goes directly to financial assistance for our local Jewish communities and will be distributed on Purim. Send your generous tax-deductible contributions (earmarked Purim) to: The Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street Silver Spring, MD 20902, or donate through Paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org You can email Allan at the same address if you know of individual or families that need assistance. Thank you for your support.
Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington Matanot L'Evyonim – Donations are being collected between now and Purim. 100% of the money collected will be distributed as Matanot L'Evyonim to local individuals and families in serious financial distress in the Greater Washington area. To donate, please visit https://yadyehuda.org/matonot-levyonim Yad Yehuda is a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization. Tizku L'mitzvot and a Freilichen Purim!
Bnei Akiva Rosh Application – Eleventh-graders are invited to apply to be a Bnei Akiva Rosh next year! Form is due March 1. Please fill out as soon as possible! https://forms.gle/SktT2eCyfQYxwE346
Vaccine Sign-up Support Project – Edlavitch JCC is matching GW students with seniors in Maryland, DC and VA to help with COVID-19 vaccine enrollment. Sign up at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSea3wSltndTqWX9V6p_kLKbIh5AuFYWRPCGlyarv3LcsYReZA/viewform
The Yad Yehuda Clothing Exchange will be open to all members of the community this Sunday, February 21, 10:00 AM – 12 Noon. We have a lot of coats for all sizes! This is your opportunity to shop, at no cost, for beautiful, modest clothing in our well-equipped showroom. Shoppers must be in good health, not have been in contact with someone who tested positive for Covid, wear masks and maintain social distancing. Please schedule an appointment at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fhBnGaaLIgwaEUT4rDFUwdVKGz1_U9CeOYD-f_A10iY/edit For questions or to schedule an appointment on another day: email@example.com
Penetrating Thoughts and Practical Perspectives – Thoughts on life, Torah and Middos. Based on Michtav M'Eliyahu, from Rav Eliyahu Dessler, Z"L. Mondays, 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Zoom – Meeting ID: 736 4190 7086, Passcode: torah. Presented by YGW Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
What Happened at Sinai: An Exploration of the Sinai Revelation and the Ten Commandments – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Thursday, February 25 – Taanis Esther
Friday, February 26 – Purim
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE. Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM;
Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday 6:15 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM. Thursday/Friday 5:55 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM
Mincha/Maariv: Sunday through Wednesday: 5:45 PM; Thursday 1:00 PM/5:00 PM/6:30 PM
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:32 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:59 AM, Latest Netz: 6:52 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:32 AM,
Earliest Mincha: 12:52 PM, Earliest Shkia: 5:52 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 6:39 PM
February 26 – 27, 2021 – 15 Adar 5781
Parshas Tetzaveh/Shushan Purim
Light Candles: 5:39
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 24 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – Closed
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager