Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 28 – 29, 2020 – 4 Adar 5780 – Parshas Terumah
Light Candles by 5:41 – Havdalah 6:41
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Esther Dziadek and family, with deep appreciation to this extraordinary community for the broad support extended to us with much love, care and concern, in our time of sorrow.
* Yael & Daniel Abadi on the birth of a daughter.
* Jodi & David Mazel on the birth of their first granddaughter, Eliana Fayga, Elizabeth Frances Rose, born to their children Suzanne & Jack Voystock of New York City. Mazel Tov to big brother William, Aunt Shayna & Uncle Jacob and to the extended Mazel and Voystock families.
* Ahuva & Aaron Orlosfsky on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Izzy, and to grandparents Joan & Meir Orlofsky and Rochelle & Baruch Wertenteil and to siblings Avigail & Elana.
* Lew Sosnowik on the marriage of his son, Daniel Sosnowik, to Vicki Rothschild of Brooklyn, New York.
* Kitty Wertheimer on the marriage of her granddaughter, Iris Wertheimer, to Rafi Cohen. Mazel Tov to their parents, Irene & Barry Wertheimer and her siblings and Yvonne & David Cohen and his siblings. The wedding took place on February 23 in Brooklyn.
* Light Candles by 5:41
Ashkenazi: 5:45 Sephardi: 5:40 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:40 Sephardi: 5:25 Nusach Sefard: 5:40
* Shabbos ends: 6:41
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Ahuva &Aaron Orlofsky in honor of Izzy's Bar Mitzvah which was celebrated in Israel on Parshat Yisro.
* Sephardi – Asher Weinberg in honor of the Gabbaim and Baalei Keriya.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:45 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, in the Small Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah,
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An indepth analysis
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Large Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for men and women, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, in the Social Hall at 7:50 PM.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for Groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the balcony. 1st- 4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
Purim Carnival – Sunday, March 8, 10:00 AM – 12 Noon at YISE. $5 per child. Family max. $25. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome a new member who was voted in at the last Board meeting: Jared Fusia.
YISE Safety Initiative – In view of recent tragedies in our neighborhood and in New Jersey, we encourage all members to wear reflector belts when walking home from Shul at night. We have a number of reflector belts available to encourage this safety initiative. We are ordering additional belts – 1 per YISE family If possible, please acquire additional reflector belts for your family's use. You can purchase reflector belts or vests online. If you do not currently own any reflector gear, please borrow and return belts that are available in the YISE lobbies.
Ruach Minyan – Friday night, February 28, at 5:45 PM sharp. There will be a special children's story program going on during part of the Davening. Bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information, contact email@example.com
Dor l'Dor – Come join Dor l'Dor: the Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment, Motzei Shabbos, February 29, 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! This Dor l'Dor is sponsored by Aliza and Gil Chlewicki in memory of Aliza's father, Robert Sacknovitz, Reuvain ben Shaul Zissel, on his sixth Yahrzeit.
YISE Membership Directory – YISE will be updating the Membership Directory this spring. Letters were mailed this week with the current information that the Shul has. The request is for each member to review the information and update and return with any corrections or acknowledge that it is correct. If you did not receive the letter, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org and a copy will be emailed to you.
Nominations Sought: The YISE Nominating Committee will be meeting soon to consider candidates for upcoming board vacancies, including five Trustees. Please send your nominations (including self-nominations) to email@example.com by March 13.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, March 2, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman for more information – 301-754-1517.
Chevra Kadisha Community Dinner – The Men's and Women's Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington invites the entire community to the Zayin Adar dinner on Monday, March 2, at YISE.The cost is $18.00 per person for the catered dinner. For more information and to make reservations, go to www.chevrakadishagw.org/zayin-adar.html
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, March 4, 12 Noon, Social Hall. Purim celebration with the YISE Preschool!
Ashley Blaker, Comedian – The YISE Social Committee and the 9:15 Minyan invite you come out and hear comedian Ashley Baker, Motzei Shabbos, March 14, 9:30 PM. See flyer for details.
Supporting Children who are Struggling in School – A panel discussion on how to navigate schools, special education, assessments, therapy, and other resources to help your child. Sunday, March 15, 7:15 PM – 9:15 PM at KMS. See flyer for details. Infant & Child CPR Class – Sunday, March 22, 12 Noon at YISE. This is a full certification class, administered by a trainer from NOVA Cert, LLC. If there is enough interest from teenagers, there will be a concurrent babysitting preparation class, including CPR certification and special training for new babysitters. This class will be infant & child CPR only – no adult CPR will be taught. The (subsidized) cost for the class is $35 per person. Payment may be made by cash, credit card, check, or PayPal. Estimated time is between 3 and 3.5 hours (slightly longer for the babysitting preparation class). Please sign up in advance by emailing LCypess@gmail.com Please specify if you are interested in babysitting preparation.
Camp Shomrai 2020 is open for registration! Programs for campers entering 2-year-old Preschool through 9th grade. Camp Dates: Monday, June 29 -Thursday, August 13. Register online at https://campshomrai.campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Shomrai Preschool 2020-2021 – Online registration is now open for children ages 2 to 5 years old with customizable extended care options from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM. Visit preschool.yise.org or email email@example.com for more information or to schedule a tour. Ask about our special, deeply reduced tuition for incoming 2-year-olds!
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Purim – YISE and Beyond!
Matanos L'Evyonim Options
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Matanos L'Evyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – 100% of the money collected will be distributed to local individuals and families in serious financial distress. This distribution will extend to all Jewish communities in our area, including but not limited to: AspenÂ Hill, Bethesda, Gaithersburg, Kemp Mill, Olney, Potomac, Rockville, White Oak, Woodside and Washington, DC. To donate, click on the Matanot LaEvyonim banner at https://yadyehuda.org
* The Franco Foundation – Helping our Community from within our Community. Donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley St. Silver Spring, MD 20902 or PayPal at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Amit is selling beautiful Purim Cards for $3 each or 10 for $25. To purchase cards, contact Esther Edeson at 30l-593-4465 x402 or 30l-593-1468.
* Yad Yehuda All proceeds will go directly to fulfill Yad Yehuda's mission of helping local, needy Jewish families. Cards are available for $2 each. To purchase your cards, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com or go to www.yadyehuda.org/purimcards
* BCGW – Help Bikur Cholim support people facing medical challenges. Donate $35 and receive a pack of 10 cards. To order cards or learn more about BCGW go to www.bikurcholimgw.org call 202 331-4481 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
14th Annual Rose & Bernard Singer Megillah Reading Program – Do you or someone you know need Megillah read because you cannot get to Shul, are ill, or other reason? Volunteers are also needed to Lein the Megilla. Don't wait until the last minute. Please contact email@example.com or 301-593-1193.
YISE Purim Seudah – Join us for your Purim Seudah with a meal fit for a king and queen (even princes & princesses)! Purim, Tuesday, March 10, 3:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. RSVP at www.yise.org/seudah See flyer for details.
Purim in China! A family Purim Seudah for young professionals. Purim, Tuesday, March 10, 5:30 PM at the Holy Chow Party Room. RSVP at www.yise.org/purim See flyer for details.
Purim Shiur – The annual Purim Shiur on the occasion of the 19th Yahrzeit of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) will take place on Purim, Tuesday, March 10 at 10:30 AM in the YISE Small Beis Medrash*. The shiur ends by 11:00 AM. * Please note new location!
Community Programs & Listings
Refuah Sheleimah/Tehillim – Ellyn Tanenberg's daughter, Cherna Chaya bas Eta Chana, is not well. Please consider joining the WhatsApp Tehillim group (send request to join to Ellyn Tanenberg at firstname.lastname@example.org ), and including her in your personal prayers.
Tzurba M'Rabanan – text-based Halacha Sefer learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group Oneg at 4:15 PM, class at 4:30 PM, at the Rubin home, 4 Fulham Court (new location for this week). Each class is independent – drop-ins welcome.
Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, February 29, 4:00 PM, at 1121 University Blvd. West Apt. 516.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets at the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Ko-ach Sports Boys Spring Baseball – Time is Running Out! Registration for 1st – 5th grade ends March 1. Thanks to everyone who has already signed up – now go tell your friends! All games/practices take place on Sundays at White Oak Middle School. Opening day is March 29. More information at www.Ko-achSports.com
The Golden Network Caregiver Support Group will meet on Sunday, March 1, from 10:15 AM – 11:15 AM at 927 Clintwood Dr. (note new location). This group is geared toward Jewish women whose spouses are living at home or are in a medical facility and are affected by a chronic physical illness or a cognitive condition. Please RSVP by February 27 to Barbara Trainin Blank at email@example.com or (301)-681-2964.
Simcha Leiner Kol Hakavod Tour – This Sunday, March 1, 7:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Also featuring the Silver Spring Boys Choir, led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer. VIP seats $75, upgraded seats $50, standard tickets $25. Tickets available online at simchaleiner.com/tour For more information, call 410-274-9224.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, March 4, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Bashert Baltimore's Masquerade Event – Featuring a mouthwatering menu, comedic entertainment, and first class service. Sunday, March 8, 4:00 PM, for Frum Professional Singles ages 27 to 45 attending from IL, MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA & Toronto. Registration closes this Sunday, March 1. Register at BashertBaltimore@gmail.com
Kemp Mill Civic Association Meeting – Wednesday, March 11, 7:30 PM at Kemp Mill Elementary School, 411 Sisson Street. Speakers include representatives from Montgomery County Police and Montgomery County Department of Transportation.
Joel's Women: Joel ben Simeon, the Washington Haggadah and the Ambivalent Feminine – Wednesday, March 18, 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM, with Marc Michael Epstein, professor of religion and visual culture, Vassar College. Inaugural lecture of the Lilian Cohen Solomon Lecture Series presented by the Hebraic Section of the African & Middle Eastern Division of the Library of Congress. Thomas Jefferson Building, Room 119. Passover Haggadot from the collections of the Library of Congress will be on display just before and after the lecture. Light Kosher refreshments will be served. For more information, contact Ann Brener, Hebraic Area Specialist email@example.com or 202-707-4186.
Baltimore Shalom Singles Shabbaton in conjunction with Ner Tamid of Greenspring for ages 45+. March 20 – 22. 3 Shabbos meals, home hospitality, interactive fun activities, dating game, speed dating, exciting speakers, featuring Baila Sebrow, an internationally acclaimed motivational speaker, author, events producer, matchmaker and dating coach, Melave Malka, music and food. Sunday Breakfast. Location: Ner Tamid of Greenspring shul. Call Helayne 410-764-3209 or Steve 410-446-8330 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info or go to nertamid.net and click on events to register.
Purim Masquerade "Bowl-a-thon" – Join Sulam for Purim fun and help us make a difference in the lives of our students! Sunday, March 8, 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM at Bowlero College Park, 9021 Baltimore Ave., College Park, MD 20740. Sign up at www.sulam.org/bowlathon
Hachnosas Sefer Torah for the Sefer Torah for Chayala Campaign, dedicating a Sefer Torah for Misaskim of Greater Washington, will take place, IY"H, on March 15 (details to follow)! There is still time to contribute before this special event at sefertorahforchayala.com Donors of $500 or more will have the opportunity to write one of the final letters of the Sefer Torah.
Join Nefesh B'Nefesh and come hear from experts to learn what's involved in creating a realistic budget for Aliyah and living in Israel, managing your investments and understanding your taxation issues. Monday, March 16, 7:00 PM – 9:30 PM at DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore North – Pikesville. Aliyah Dollars & Sense experts: Ron Zalben, US & Israel CPA and Partner at Aboulafia, Avital, Shrensky & Co., Aaron Djanogly, Senior Wealth Manager at Pioneer Wealth Management, and Marc Rosenberg, Aliyah Advisor at Nefesh B'Nefesh. Please register in advance at: www.nbn.org.il/baltimore
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
The Good Book is the annual Orthodox Jewish directory published by Dr. Bert & Rachelle Miller in Greater Washington since 1995. The book is sent free to all interested Orthodox-affiliated households. Interested households should email their new or updated listing information to email@example.com The Millers thank you in advance for your participation. The deadline is March 1.
Capital Kosher Pantry – As we break our fast on Leil Purim and begin the festive celebrations…Let's make sure our neighbors have breakfast supplies in their pantry. Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry needs cereal & oatmeal. Please place your donations in Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry boxes in many area shuls and schools, Shalom Kosher, Moti's Market or at Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd West. Or order online at yadyehuda.org/pantry to ship directly to the Pantry. Thank you!
The Clothing Exchange – We have a full showroom of children's, women's and men's clothing and coats, offered to the community free of charge. Run by dedicated volunteers, the Clothing Exchange is a place where everyone can feel comfortable shopping and donating new clothing. We're open every Sunday from 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM at the Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd. West, unless otherwise noted. We accept donations of new or like-new Shabbos or business casual clothing in current styles. We only stock items that are new or in pristine condition, as is befitting members of our community. We are not able to accept baby clothing, toys & stuffed animals, housewares, linens, undergarments or shoes.
Visual Artist? Join the monthly Jewish Women's Creative Makers group. We meet monthly to share works in any and every visual media that were created on a common theme. Any questions, please contact Chava Kern at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-913-3155 (texts preferred).
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; email@example.com
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at the YGW at 8:00 PM. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday March 1 Monday March 2 Tuesday March 3 Wednesday March 4 Thursday March 5 Friday March 6
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 5:50 5:50 / 7:30 5:50 / 7:30 5:50 / 7:30 5:50 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:45 5:45 5:45 5:45 5:45
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:48 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:25 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:51 PM
March 6 – 7, 2020 – 11 Adar 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 5:48 – Havdalah: 6:48
* Light Candles by 5:48
Ashkenazi: 5:50 Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:40 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:48
Friday, February 28 Ruach Minyan, 5:45 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 29 Dor L'Dor, 8:00 PM
Wednesday, March 4 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon
Sunday, March 8 Purim Carnival, 10:00 AM
Tuesday, March 10 Purim Seudah at YISE, 3:00 PM
Tuesday, March 10 Purim in China! 5:30 PM
Motzei Shabbos, March 14 Ashley Blaker, Comedian, 9:30 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 4 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager