Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hamaayan and Likutei Torah, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
April 24 – 25, 2020 – 1 Iyar 5780 – Parshas Tazria/Metzora/Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 7:36 – Havdalah 8:39
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Ted & Nechama Goodman & family with tremendous Hakarat Hatov to Rabbi Rosenbaum, great neighbors–dear friends–who WERE and are here for us, the Chevra Kaddisha who carry out their work with sensitivity & dedication, our shul YISE & the Kemp Mill Kehilla. We appreciate you all!
* Melanie & Sandy Karlin on the birth of identical twin grandsons born to their children, Dalya & Benjy Karlin of Washington, DC. Mazal Tov to grandparents Sharon & Shlomo Lerner of Sharon, MA, and to greatgrandparents Dolores & Len Schwartz. Mazal Tov to the aunts, uncles and cousins, Sarah & Matthew Karlin and family and Shayna & Raphael Karlin and family.
* Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum on becoming great-grandparents to a great-granddaughter, Charna Bracha, born to Isabella & Akiva Garfinkel of Lincolnwood, Illinois. Mazal Tov to grandparents, uncles, aunts, and the extended family.
* Dina & Mark Livingston and family on the birth of a boy. Virtual Shalom Zachor will take place Motzei Shabbos, April 25, at 9:30 PM, and the virtual Bris will be on Monday, April 27, at 9:30 AM. Zoom details: Meeting ID: 646 626 8300, Password: 04 20 2020
* Avi West on the passing of his father, Dr. Raymond West, Yerachmiel ben Avraham Aryeh v'Sara Etyl. The funeral took place on Thursday. Quarantine Shiva at home through Wednesday April 29. Avi may be contacted during Shiva by phone at 301-649-3581. The family requests calls only from 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM and 2:00 PM to 9:00 PM.
* All public activities at YISE are cancelled, including Minyanim, Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
* Please continue to be vigilant regarding matters of personal hygiene as previously advised. If you are unwell, please do not enter the Shul or other public places. We urge you to adhere to all medical advice you may receive regarding self-quarantine.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Note that Davening times are listed for reference so that people may Daven at the same time as others. There are no Minyanim at YISE at this time.
* Light Candles by 7:36, and not before Plag, 6:29
* Mincha: Ashkenazi: 6:10, 6:40, 7:40 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00 If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos/Maariv prior to Shkia (7:54 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (6:29 PM).
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:25 Sephardi: 7:25 Nusach Sefard: 7:25
* Shabbos ends: 8:39
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list, go to https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday 9:00 AM/Monday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A. Tuesday, April 28, 7:00 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com Zoom B.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom D:
* Mondays: Rabbi E. Gayer – A to Z of Jewish Living
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua
* For Women – Zoom E:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An indepth analysis
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver. For more information, please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org – Zoom A.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom F.
For Zoom, go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID and password:
* Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
* Zoom B: ID: 784 431 8176
* Zoom C: ID: 349 754 2180
* Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195
* Zoom E: ID: 601 853 4021
* Zoom F: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Commemoration of the Tenth Yahrzeit of Rav Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L
Sunday April 26, 2020 – 11:00 AM
Zoom ID: 416 963 9000, phone 301-715-8592, password 492019
Reflections on the impact of Rav Anemer on our community and our lives.
Panelists: David Hornestay, Barbara Price, Debbie Katz, Rabbi Beinish Ginsburg. Moderated by Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Adina & Zach Neumann.
Membership Directory Updates – Last month we mailed out a sheet to each current member showing current information. If you have not sent in the form and may have misplaced it while doing Pesach clean-up, send a note to email@example.com and a copy will be emailed to you. Please send updates to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, April 30.
Camp Shomrai 2020 is open for registration! Programs for campers entering 2-year-old preschool through 9th grade. Camp Dates: Monday, June 29 -Thursday, August 13. Register online at https://campshomrai.campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at email@example.com
Shomrai Preschool 2020-2021 – Online registration is now open for children ages 2 to 5 years old with customizable extended care options from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM. Visit preschool.yise.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to schedule a tour. Ask about our special, deeply reduced tuition for incoming 2-year-olds!
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much-needed medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Chametz After Pesach 2020
* Chametz may be purchased from all Capitol K establishments and caterers.
* Chametz may be purchased from the following national stores: Aldi, BJ's, Costco, CVS, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Kmart, Lidl, Petco, PetSmart, Rite Aid, Royal Farms, Save-A-Lot, Sam's Club, Shoppers Food and Pharmacy, Trader Joe's, Walgreens, Walmart, Wegmans, Whole Foods Market, Winn-Dixie
* Chametz may be purchased from the following stores in our community: H Mart, MOM's Organic Market, ShopRite of White Oak
* Chametz may only be purchased from Snider's beginning four weeks after Pesach, May 15.
Due to possible Chametz distributed by a Jewish company, if one has the option of purchasing Chametz from other stores, it is commendable to not purchase Chametz from Giant, Safeway or Target until four weeks after Pesach, May 15, Due to a potential limited supply of food due to COVID-19, this would not be the year to be stringent on this matter if not feasible.
Community Programs & Listings
A Time for Unity – Special Sunday Evening Lecture Series – As we look forward to Shavuot – the Season of the Giving of our Torah – let us come together and find inspiration in the words of the Torah. Chabad of Silver Spring will be hosting distinguished rabbis again this year during the weeks between Pesach and Shavuot. This week’s speaker: Rabbi Michoel Frank of Ohr HaTorah, Sunday, April 26, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Zoom link: https://zoom.us/j/99088655463?pwd=RGEzNDdWWURVMGJEYmxVUW13d0p5dz09
Dr. Fred Dziadek Lift A Friend (LAF) Initiative – Presented by the Golden Network. Win 1 of 5 $50 Amazon gift cards. 1 – Call someone 65+ that would appreciate a call, 2 – Enter the drawing via email to email@example.com with name/address/phone and recipient’s city/state. 3 – Bonus ticket if recipient lives in Montgomery County, MD. One entry per person, April 24 – May 6. Ages 6+ may participate. Children should be supervised and entries must be submitted by an adult.
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, April 29, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password 3671.
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them Daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Community Helping Community: Yad Yehuda’s COVID-19 Crisis Relief – During this crisis, previously financially stable households in our community are already experiencing financial challenges. Yad Yehuda is receiving many more assistance requests than usual. Community financial donations are critical now. Please make an additional donation to Yad Yehuda today to help us address this unforeseen need at www.yadyehuda.org/donate
A COVID-19 Telephone Assistance Hotline is now available at 301-494-1010, Sunday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM. When you call, one of our dedicated Yad Yehuda volunteers will answer questions and help connect you with resources in the Jewish community and the area at large. If the volunteer is unable to answer your issue or question, they will, IY"H, ensure that someone gets back to you in a timely manner. Our friendly volunteers are there to help and will do so with the utmost discretion and privacy. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/covid19 for additional and updated information.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Wednesday, April 29 – Yom Haatzmaut
No Minyanim will take place at YISE next week. You are encouraged to Daven at home at your regular Minyan time.
Mincha was scheduled for April 26 – 30 at 7:45 PM (Ashkenazi)/7:40 PM (Sephardi).
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:19 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:36 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM
Sunday, April 26 10th Yahrzeit of Rav Anemer, 11:00 AM
May 1 – 2, 2020 – 8 Iyar 5780
Parshas Acharei Mos/Kedoshim
Light Candles: Friday by 7:43 Havdalah: 8:47
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday April 29 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561
E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday – 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager