Young Israel Shomrai Emunah -Shabbos Shorts
April 21 – 22, 2023 – 1 Iyar 5783 – Parshas Tazria/Metzora/Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 7:33 – Havdalah 8:35
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Janette & Jerry Rapp to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Jerry's mother, Molly Rapp, Malka Bas Pinchos, A"H, on 1 Iyar,
and by Debbie Rogal in honor of Jay Rogal on the 75th anniversary of his Bar Mitzvah.
* Lyn & Tad Downing and Leah & Alex Kott on the birth of a grandson born to their children, Aviva & Avery Downing of Seattle, Washington.
* Avi & Shoshana Rudack on the engagement of their daughter, Devorah Sarah, to Eli Abramowitz of Chicago.
* Rabbi Sanford H. Shudnow on being honored as an alumnus of the Hebrew Theological College, Skokie, Illinois, as part of the HTC Centennial.
* Rabbi Sanford H. Shudnow on his artwork being selected by the Bender JCC of Greater Washington to be included in their forthcoming exhibit, "A Lifetime of Perspective: Art by Older Adults," May 21 – June 11.
* Steve Friedman on the passing of his mother, Sandra (Sandi) Friedman.
* Helene Zeltser on the passing of her brother, Neil Olshan. Shiva is being observed in New York through Sunday morning. Helene may be reached during Shiva at 240-678-6115.
Minyan locations are B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Light Candles by 7:33, and not before 6:26
* Mincha: 6:10 (Plag, S), 6:35 (B), 7:35 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:15 (B), 7:10 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:35
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur before Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
Kiddush/Shalosh Seudos Sponsors:
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Hashkamah Minyan Group.
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by Julie & Jerry Brookler in honor of Jerry's 80th birthday.
* The Sephardic Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Tamar & Bitsu Balay to commemorate the Shloshim of Tamar's father, Avraham Abuhi Ben Yeshimevet.
* The Shalosh Seudos is sponsored in memory of Rav Anemer, ZT"L, on his 13th Yahrzeit. Thank you to all of the sponsors.
YISE Programs and Listings
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Kedushas Levi's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos morning This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Postelnek.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Following the Hashkamah Minyan, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
Shabbos Afternoon Shiur – Rabbi Rosenbaum gives a text-based Parsha shiur 45 minutes before the last Mincha in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Yom HaShoah v'Hagvurah Program – Featuring Rachel (Rae) Goldfarb. Recording available at: https://wp.yise.org/yom-hashoah-2023
Dr. Itzhak Brook will speak on Sunday, April 23 at 11:00 AM in the Social Hall to commemorate Yom Hazikaron and Yom Haatzmaut. See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee. Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, May 1 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Seeing the Hand of Hashem in History: How Rashi Saved the Torah and Other Historical Wonders with Rabbi Brahm Weinberg on Sunday, May 7, 11:00 AM at YISE in the Belonofsky Sanctuary and on Zoom A, followed by refreshments in the Social Hall. Part of the Meaningful Tefilah Project at YISE, co-sponsored by KMS. See flyer for details.
Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. For questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For other questions, contact Seth Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shalosh Seudos – To sponsor, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, ext. 103, or email@example.com Volunteers are needed to set up and clean up. Contact Ethan Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org to be part of the rotation.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, provides assistance to families undergoing medical crises. If you do not have a Helping Hands account, or if you have any questions, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at https://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan, led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, meets at 9:15 AM every Shabbos in The House next to the Shul. Kiddush is served after Davening.
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, April 22, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Shabbos Group for 5th and 6th Grade Girls will meet inside The House promptly at 10:00 AM.
Junior Congregation for boys in grades 4 – 6 with Jay Marcus. Meet in the Lower Lobby at 9:55 and walk to the Yeshiva at 10:00.
Boys Shiur – Rabbi Rosenbaum will resume his Shabbos afternoon shiur for 5th and 6th grade boys at 5:30 PM in the Social Hall, beginning this Shabbos, April 22. Bring your best questions! See flyer for details.
Chametz After Pesach Update
The Vaad HaRabanim of Greater Washington recently became aware that Giant, Safeway, and Target in this area are no longer being supplied by a distributor who previously raised concerns of Chametz ownership by a Jew over Pesach.
While we have still been unable to ascertain if the stores in our area are using the new supplier, we feel there is sufficient information to permit the purchase of Chametz from Giant, Safeway, and Target immediately after Pesach in the Greater Washington area.
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur and in memory of parents, Avraham Ben Tzvi HaLevi & Ada Bas Menachem Aryeh, Z"L, and Rabbi Hillel & Mrs. Myrna Klavan, Z"L.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Judy & David Marwick in honor of Jay Rogal's birthday.
8:45 AM Shabbos Drasha
* Susan & Bob Levi to commemorate the 8th Yahrzeit of Bob's mother, Lorraine Levi, Leah Bas Mordechai, Z"L, on the 7th of Iyar.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
YISE continues to offer a number of different in-person and virtual learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on anindividual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
4. Yom Tov Drashas are available for sponsorship of $72 each.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 6:30 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM. Shiurim:
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys – Zoom D.
* SCP (Semichas Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM at YISE. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Register online at https://thegreaterwashingtoncommunitykollel.com/scp New Semester begins Tuesday, May 2. See flyer for details.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:22 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Levy at 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 8:45 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", in-person in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom G.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning the 7th Perek of Maseches Bava Metzia. Wednesday evenings at 8:20 PM (note new time) on Zoom H.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 or 929-205-6099 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, passcode Winter (phone 667362)
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 849 3898 4989, passcode 161699
Community Programs & Listings
A Time for Unity – Special speaker series, Shabbos afternoons, 6:15 PM at Chabad of Silver Spring, 519 Lamberton Drive. This Shabbos, April 22, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Yeshiva of Greater Washington.
The Capital Closet will be open to this community this Sunday, April 23, from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM. Come peruse our beautiful, curated selection of clothing for women, men, and children, as well as Torah School uniforms! Our new address is 9601 Colesville Road, Silver Spring, MD 20901. The Closet entrance is in the back of the building up a full flight of stairs. There is no charge for items in The Capital Closet, but financial donations to Yad Yehuda are always appreciated. We are unable to accept clothing donations at this time; thank you for your understanding. Please feel to reach out with any questions or for more information to: email@example.com
Torah Tournament for Women Join fellow women from across Kemp Mill on Sunday, June 11, for a one-night, all-out Torah Tournament featuring friendly competition, engaging challenges, prizes, and fun for all! Sunday, April 23, is the LAST CALL to form a team to learn assigned Torah text and compete against other teams for the title of Tournament Champion! Non-competitors are encouraged to join the Tournament as live audience. Go to: https://forms.gle/L1HokQjN14VzWR3V8 to sign up.
Rays of Wisdom – Life Lessons From Pirkei Avos – Greater Washington Community Kollel invites women of the community to a weekday morning text-based Chaburah led by Mrs. Channah Cohen. Mondays at 9:30 AM at the home of Mrs. Aviva Werner, 815 Lamberton Drive. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-219-5397.
Pirkei Avos: Ethics for Everyday Living – presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps on Zoom. Wednesdays, 12:15 PM – 1:00 PM, beginning Wednesday, April 26. For Zoom info and registration go to https://linksgw.org/classes
Please help our community complete these Siyumim:
* Mishnayos for the 1stYahrzeit of Natalie Gabai, Nechama Naomi Bat Leib, December 21, 9 Tevet – https://www.lzechernishmas.com/signup.php?id=11044
* Mishnayos for the 1st Yahrzeit of Jerry Snyder, Yehoshua Ben Binyamin, December 21, 9 Tevet – https://hadranalach.com/2612
* Tanach for the 1st Yahrzeit of Marion Baras, Miriam Bas Menachem, January 1, 20 Tevet – http://hadranalach.com/2626
* Mishnayos for the Shloshim of Sandi Friedman, Sarah Bas Zalman, May 7, 16 Iyar – http://hadranalach.com/2760
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, April 26, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM, in person in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Sulam Gala – Save the date! Sulam is celebrating 25 years of inclusion honoring Denny and Debra Berman and Sharon Freundel. Monday, May 22 at the Rockville Hilton.
Alshich on the Parsha with Rabbi Levy – Shabbat afternoon between Mincha and Maariv in the Franco Beit Midrash.
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
In G-d We Trust – Exploring the relationship and balance between Relying on G-d/Bitachon & Human Endeavor/Hishtadlus, based on the teachings of 11th century scholar, Rabbeinu Bachya's Treatise on Trust – Shaar Habitachon. Wednesdays, 12:15 PM – 1:00 PM on Zoom, Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. To register, visit https://linksgw.org/classes
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, currently learning Bava Metzia. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner), about 2.5 Daf covered each week.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person, 1-1/2 hours before the latest YISE Mincha in the Yeshiva.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Tuesday, April 25 – Yom HaZikaron
Wednesday, April 26 – Yom Ha'atzmaut
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 4:54 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:25 AM, Latest Netz: 6:21 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:39 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM, Earliest Shkia: 7:53 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 8:42 PM
* Yom Ha'atzmaut – Wednesday, April 26, Shacharis Davening starting at 6:25 AM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary with expanded Davening and Tefilos in honor of Yom Ha'atzmaut. The other Shacharis Minyanim will meet at their regular times, without special additions.
April 28 – 29, 2023 – 8 Iyar 5783
Parshas Acharei Mos/Kedoshim
* Light Candles by 7:39, and not before 6:32
* Mincha: 6:15 (Plag, S), 6:40 (B), 7:40 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:35 (B), 7:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:42
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, April 26, at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager