Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
April 1 – 2, 2022 – 1 Nissan 5782 – Tazria/HaChodesh/Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 7:13 – Havdalah 8:14
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Lucy Benisti and Bernie Blitzstein in commemoration of the 7th Yahrzeit of Selma Blitzstein, Schlima Bas Dov Ber, Z"L, on the 5th of Nissan, of the 30th Yahrzeit of Maryse Benisti, Maisie Ida Bas Shimon, Z"L on the 10th of Nissan and of the 21st Yahrzeit of Nathan Blitzstein, Nassan Ben Shaul HaLevi, Z"L, on the 17th of Nissan
and by the Bramson Family to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Arnie Bramson, Alexandar Ziskind Ben Yehuda Leib HaLevi Z"L.
* Hadassah & Abie Franco on the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Simi Franco. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Howard Elling and Simi & Sammy Franco and to great-grandmothers Dottie Franco and Janet Rottenberg and to Simi's siblings, Rena, Devorah and Sammy. Mazal Tov to all of the Elling and Franco aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Fay Kasser on the birth of a granddaughter, Rivkah Tzivia, to Shira & Moshe Kasser of Rechovot and to siblings Avi, Ayelet, Shoshana and Yisroel.
* Moshe & Rose Litwack on the birth of their daughter, Orly Sarah. Mazal Tov to siblings Eliezer, Rivkah, Yaffa, Shifra and Azarya, grandparents Giliah & David Litwack and Ms. Terry Blynn and Mr. Ian Blynn, and to all of the aunts, uncles and cousins.
GWCK Shabbos of Inspiration
Thank you to Rabbi Menachem Winter, the Rabbis and families of the GWCK, and Uri Davidi for all the efforts they have put in to a very special Shabbos. We so look forward to a special Shabbos together!
* Following dinner (reservations required), Oneg Shabbos open to all, 9:00 PM, with Shiurim, dessert and a Kumzitz.
* Shiurim throughout Shabbos
* Special guest Baal Tefillah Uri Davidi
See flyer for details.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash
* Light Candles by 7:13, and not before 6:12
* Mincha: 5:55 (Plag, B), 7:15 (B), 7:05 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen Minyan, SBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:10 (B), 7:05 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:14
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Menachem Winter
* 9:15 Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Shiur before Mincha 6:15 (B) Rabbi Hillel Shaps – Haggadah Journey: Finding the Key to Redemption – for men and women.
* Shiur after Mincha (B) Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush Group.
* 8:45/9:15/Sephardic Minyan/Teen Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Moshe & Rose Litwack in honor of the birth of their daughter Orly Sarah and Naomi & Rabbi Hillel Shaps in honor of the birth, two years ago, of their daughter Tova.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 6:30 PM (note new time), Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A, will resume Wednesday, April 27.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Hillel Shaps – Unraveling the Navi: Melachim Aleph
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person (Social Hall) and on Zoom F.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women – Zoom I
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Sefer Bereishis
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. A new semester began on October 19. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B, will resume after Pesach.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 7th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 8:20 PM (note new time), Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom I: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
YISE Programs and Listings
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos mornings in the Social Hall. This week's Shiur will be given by Rabbi Postelnek.
Seeing the Hand of Hashem…In Nature – A lecture series presented by the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. Second lecture, "In Human Biology and Physiology," with Dr. Aaron Cypess from NIH took place on Sunday, March 27. Previous lectures are posted on yise.org
Do a Mitzvah! Join our park cleanup any time on Sunday, April 3, 11:30 AM – 1:30 PM! Meet at the steps near CVS in the Kemp Mill Park. Bags, gloves, and t-shirts will be distributed. Great for all ages! Good Deeds Day 2022 is produced in partnership with The Jewish Federation. Volunteers will receive a discount voucher for Ben Yehuda Pizza to be used on April 3. Volunteers needed to hand out t-shirts, gloves, and bags. For more information, contact: Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, April 4, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Yom HaShoah V'Hagvurah – 42nd annual program, featuring Irene Fogel Weiss. Presented by YISE and KMS on Zoom, Sunday, May 1, 7:30 PM, Meeting ID 655 813 1022, passcode 365636. Early Mincha at 5:00 PM and late Maariv at 9:30 PM at YISE. See flyer for details. Kashrus in the Kitchen – Learn the background and practical laws of Kashrus. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman: 11611 Kemp Mill Road. Given by Rabbi Postelnek. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group, contact Rabbi Postelnek at 571-340-0227 or firstname.lastname@example.org Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/kashrus-kitchen
Coping with Memory Loss – Virtual panel discussion took place on Sunday, March 27. Recording available online at https://wp.yise.org/coping-with-memory-loss
Volunteers Are Needed Weekly to help with Kiddushes. If you can help, please contact Simi Franco at email@example.com or 301-593-4465 x403.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
* Chani & Jay Parness in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L. Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha
* Rochelle Dimont and family in memory of Chayim Dimont, Chayim Ben HaRav Avraham Mordechai. Rabbi Rosenbaum's Navi Shiur
* Zach & Adina Neumann in commemoration of the 2nd Yahrzeit of Adina's father, Dr. Judah Gol dwasser, Yehuda Meir Ben Mordechai Gimpel, Z"L on the 27th of Adar. He led the Nach shiur in Woodside that went strong for over 20 years.
8:45 Minyan Drasha
* Daniel Ratner to commemorate the Yahrzeit of his father, Mordechai Ben Moshe Z"L.
* Sandie Thurman to commemorate the Yahrzeit of her mother, Etel Bas Yisrael Z"L.
Pesach – YISE and Beyond!
* Mechiras Chometz – Rabbi Rosenbaum will be available to arrange the sale of Chametz at Shul at the following days and times:
* Sunday, April 3, after Mincha/Maariv in the Belonofsky Sanctuary
* Monday, April 4, after Mincha/Maariv in the Belonofsky Sanctuary
* Tuesday, April 5, Noon in the Small Beis Medrash
* Thursday, April 7, after Mincha/Maariv in the Belonofsky Sanctuary
* Sunday, April 10, after 8:45 Shacharis in the Belonofsky Sanctuary
* Monday, April 11, after Mincha/Maariv in the Belonofsky Sanctuary
* Tuesday, April 12, 8:30 PM in the Social Hall
* Wednesday, April 13, Noon in the Small Beis Medrash
* Friday, April 15, after each Ashkenazi Siyum
If these times are not convenient for you, please feel free to contact Rabbi Rosenbaum at 301-593-4465 ext. 405 to make other arrangements.
* Youth Pesach Art Contest – Thank you to everyone who submitted their wonderful Pesach-themed artwork! The 3 lucky raffle winners are: Zahava Simon, Bina Chlewicki, and Shlomo Dollman- – CONGRATS! Stay tuned for our lower lobby display of ALL the beautiful art entries!
* Pesach Food Drive – Help our neighbors in need celebrate Pesach by donating to the Capital Kosher Pantry. Drop-off at YISE and other locations in the area. All food items should be labeled as Kosher for Passover. Please drop-off or ship to arrive by Monday, April 4. See flyer for details.
* Ask the Rabbi – Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring different Halachic Topics! This month's topic: Pesach. The first hour is for Shailos submitted in advance and the last 30 minutes is for Q & A. Times may vary depending on Shailos. Send in your questions about Pesach to: AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, April 3. The program will take place on Tuesday, April 5, 8:15 PM – 9:45 PM on Zoom A. For more information and to submit questions by phone or anonymously, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org To sponsor the program, please contact the YISE office. See flyer for details.
* Post-Pesach Pizza – Support YISE Youth and get a chance to eat the first and second pizzas from Ben Yehuda Pizza after Pesach. 2 pies, 2 winners! $10 for 1 chance to win, $ 18 for 2 chances to win. To participate, go to https://wp.yise.org/donate and put "Pizza" in the description. Deadline April 13. See flyer for details.
* Shmurah Matzah – The deadline was Monday, March 28. Watch your email for pickup details. Contact the YISE office if you have questions about your order.
* Hospitality – Once again it is our privilege to help bring people together for Yom Tov. Please sign up as a guest or host by contacting email@example.com
* Maos Chittim – Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet:
* YISE Charity Fund – People who would like Rabbi Rosenbaum to distribute Tzedakah for Pesach on their behalf can give cash or checks made out to YISE Charity Fund to him (also at Mechiras Chometz) or drop off at the YISE office. Please do not donate via PayPal.
* Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington assists individuals and families year-round in our region. To donate, please click on the Maos Chittim banner at www.yadyehuda.org
* Chometz Dumpster – A Dumpster will be available from Wednesday April 13 through Thursday April 14 at midnight at YISE. Please do not use this Dumpster for anything but Chometz type of items. Please do not use the regular (smaller) Shul Dumpster. Please do not park in the driveway on Friday until the Dumpster has been taken away.
* Community Chametz Burning – Erev Pesach, Friday, April 15, 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM at KMS. Chametz in paper bags/napkins only. Montgomery County Fire & Rescue will be on hand to display their fire-fighting and EMS equipment. See flyer for details.
* Pre-Pesach Car Cleaning – The YGW boys' class of 2023 presents a car wash at 1216 Arcola Avenue on April 3 from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM and on April 10 from 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM. Cars – $40, Minivans – $55, Vans – $70. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* Passover Car Cleaning to Benefit the Mikvah Emunah Society -Special discounted prices on car detailing with Shine My Ride by Empire. Aportion of the proceeds will benefit the MES. Interior Spruce – Cars – $45, Minivans – $65. Deluxe Interior Detail – Cars $120, Minivans $175. Child car seats $20 per seat. Located at 5006 Howard Ave., Beltsville, MD. Mobile service available (minimum 2 cars for Interior Spruce mobile service). Exterior wash $30, wash & wax $75. To book an appointment, email email@example.com or call 240-965-6095. For more information (not to book appointments), contact Rhonda Lehman firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-351-1725.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, April 2, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Talya Miller, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at email@example.com
Sky Zone – All teen boys are invited to a Motzei Shabbos event, leaving from YISE April 2, 9:00 PM for Sky Zone Gaithersburg. $ 10 per person. RSVP to Rabbi Holzer 305-922-1951. See flyer for details.
From Kemp Mill to the IDF – Hear from two different Kemp Mill residents who are now serving in the Israel Defense Forces. Recording available at https://wp.yise.org/idf
* The YISE Board has mandated that everyone 16 and older who is medically eligible for an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to enter the Shul building.
* Masks are now optional for adults and children.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Community Programs & Listings
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, April 6, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Challah Bake – Sunday, May 1, Rosh Codesh Iyar, 11:00 AM at the KMS tents with the Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington. A morning of song, dance, learning, inspiration and unity as we each mix, knead and shape our own Challah. Light refreshments will be served. Women only – students welcome. Registration required and space is limited. RSVP at www.mikvahemunah.com by April 10. Featuring Tzippy Levin and the Simcha Steps team.
Siyum Tanach for our friend and mentor Avi West, Z"L, is almost completely (91%) signed-up. Small portions of Tehillim and Yirmiya remain. The target completion date is the Yahrzeit, August 22, 2022, 25 Av, 5782. Sign up and let your friends know at http://hadranalach.com/2090
Women's Online Shiur with Rabbi Yehoshua Levy- Free 1-hour shiur on Zoom on the first and third Sundays of each month at 8:30 PM (new time). Topic: Eishet Hayil, with principles from Mesilat Yesharim and weekly Sidra. In English. All levels of ability are welcome. You needn't attend every Shiur, but RSVPs are requested. Contact Shiur Coordinator at email@example.com for details. The next Shiur is planned for Sunday, April 3.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu- Please join Dirshu as it began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
Parsha Explorations with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Kemp Mill Synagogue, Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM at KMS and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. For men and women.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Birkat Hamazon with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person at 7:30 AM in the YISE Social Hall.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:28 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:57 AM, Latest Netz: 6:50 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:55 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:44 PM, Earliest Shkia: 7:33 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 8:21 PM
April 8 – 9, 2022 – 8 Nissan 5782
Parshas Metzora/Shabbos Hagadol
* Light Candles by 7:20, but not before 6:17
* Mincha: 6:00 (Plag, B), 7:20 (B), 7:10 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 6:50 (B), 6:45 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:21
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, April 6 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager