Parshas Shoftim – September 6 – 7, 2019
Download the September 6 – 7, 2019 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
September 6 – 7, 2019 – 7 Elul 5779 – Parshas Shoftim
Light Candles by 7:13 – Havdalah 8:10
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Zippy & Jason Rosenblatt to commemorate the annual Rabbi Morris D. & Rebbetzin Esther Rosenblatt memorial lecture on Sunday, September 8, and by Judy Morris in honor of Louis Morris's special birthday.
* David Abrams on the marriage of his granddaughter, Aviva Strauss, to Mi'chael Apfel in Jerusalem.
* Tzivia Bramson on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Rivka, daughter of Chani & Yitzi Milstein and granddaughter of Libby Waidenbaum.
* Eva & Isaac Moses on the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Ilana, and to siblings Rafi, Abby and Asher. Mazal Tov to Aunt Carol & Uncle Tuvia Lazar and cousins Eli, Riki and Ami as well as all of the grandparents, great-grandparents and visiting family.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the marriage of their grandson, Meyer Meth, to Esther Berkowitz. Mazal Tov to the parents, Debra & Reuven and Shira & Aryeh Berkowirz
* Nechama & Rabbi Yonatan Zakem on the birth of a son. The Shalom Zachor will take place at the Zakem home, 11722 Fulham St., on Friday evening at 9:00pm.
* Mrs. Marion Baras will be moving into the Wasserman building of the Hebrew Home in Rockville on Monday. She would love to receive visitors, and – yes – she plans to continue teaching piano and voice at the Hebrew Home! Her new phone number there is 301-603-2529.
* Yossie Orlansky on the passing of his father, Yoel Orlansky. The funeral took place Monday in Brooklyn, followed by burial in Israel. Yossie is observing Shiva in NY through Sunday morning and may be reached during Shiva at 203-233-1705.
* Light Candles by 7:13, and not before 6:10
Ashkenazi: 6:30, 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:10 Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:10
* Shabbos ends: 8:10
* 8:00, 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Sephardi, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Judy, Moshe, Yehudah, Yehoshua and Tova Mehlman in honor of Herschel Mehlman making Aliyah.
* Sephardi Minyan – David Mordehai & Sammy Bitton in memory of Menachem Ben Devorah
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Eva & Isaac Moses in honor of the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Ilana.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:55 AM followed by Classes from 10:10 AM – 10:55 AM, in the Social Hall. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women – new topic: A 2nd Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, will begin learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, in the Social Hall at 8:00 PM.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project – Three pre-Yamim Noraim Programs, September 8, 15 and 21. See flyer for details.
Ruach Minyan – YISE welcomes MEOR to the neighborhood on Friday, September 13, at 7:00pm as they will run a special Ruach Minyan in the Large Social Hall, which will include a few short Divrei Torah. While there is no formal childrenfs story-telling program, all Daveners are welcome to attend! For more information, please contact Rabbi Koretzky at firstname.lastname@example.org or Adam Bashein at email@example.com
Doors Closing! – There are several emergency exit doors in the Arcola building. Please help keep the building secure by not propping the doors open nor blocking them with chairs or other items.
Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur Babysitting will be offered for 2- 10 year olds at $10 per child, per day from 10am-1pm. Spots are limited. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to pay and reserve a spot. Questions, contact email@example.com
High Holiday Seats – Rosh Hashanah is coming soon! Have you forgotten to reserve your seats? Blank forms are in the box outside the Belonofsky Sanctuary and the Beis Medrash. Forms are also available on the YISE website at www.yise.org/seats Please complete and forward to the Shul office as soon as possible.
Rabbi Rosenbaum is available by phone (no meetings are scheduled) from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM, Monday through Friday, barring extenuating circumstances. Of course, people can call at any time and either speak to him or leave a message. His office number is 301-593-4465, ext. 405.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
What to Do When a Family Member Dies: A Practical and Halachic Guide – The following document was prepared for members of YISE, by Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum and Hedy Peyser, MSW, as a practical and halachic guide to deal with the death of a family member. It will hopefully answer time]sensitive questions that may arise immediately following the loss of a family member.
Please feel free to contact Rabbi Rosenbaum with any specific questions. Additionally, it would be very worthwhile to consult an attorney and or an accountant for practical advice regarding legal and financial matters before and after the death of a family member. This document will not be providing legal or financial advice. To download the document, go to wp.yise.org/community-resources/death/
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZThL, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
Community Programs and Listings
Shabbos afternoon Shiur at University Towers – 1121 University Blvd W, Apt 516, on Shabbos, September 7, at 4:30 PM.
Tzurba M'Rabanan learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group at 4:45 PM at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road.
Pirchei is Coming! Calling all boys, first through sixth grade! Pirchei is starting this Shabbos, Parshas Shoftim, September 7, in the classrooms at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. See you there! To join our email list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Scouting – Are you looking for an adventure for your kids, an opportunity for your kids to grow and learn in a completely different environment from school but still maintain Torah values? Come check out the Orthodox family of Scouting. Pack 452 (boys K-5 Grade), Troop 613 (young men 11-18 years old) and Troop 614 (young women 11-18 years old) would like to invite you to an open house at KMS on Sunday, September 8, from 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM. Scouting has so much to offer our children, from first-aid skills to outdoor activities plus the Scouting values are right in line with the Torah. If you have any questions, contact Joel Straus, Unit Commissioner, email@example.com
Yom Tov Appeal Sustains Community Safety Net – The Franco Foundation needs your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests. The Foundation helps with life essentials, like rent, mortgage, utilities and food. Over the years The Franco Foundation has helped hundreds of families and individuals facing financial crisis and continues to do so with the help and commitment from our community. The Foundation is a tax deductible charitable corporation. Mail donations to Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through Paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org
In-Home Shofar Blowing – Do you, or someone you know, need to have the shofar blown this Rosh Hashanah because you can't get to Shul? To arrange for a Shofar blower to visit you at home, in Kemp Mill, please contact Aron Trombka at 301-681-3025, or email@example.com MitzvahCycle 2019 – Sunday, September 8. MitzvahCycle is an outdoor ride for men and women along the C&O canal or a road option nearby. Start and end at Riley's Lock. MitzvahSpin is an indoor option at Biker Barre in Cabin John, MD, for women only. Support your friends and neighbors facing medical crises and have fun at the same time! Ride. Sponsor. Volunteer: www.MitzvahCycle.org People facing medical challenges count on BCGW and we count on you!
Tefillin Awareness Day – Sunday, September 8, 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM, in the Ohr Hatorah Social Hall. Leave your Tefillin in Shul with the expert sofrim Rabbi Moshe Englander and Rabbi Levi Weiss, who will be inspecting Tefillin Battim for proper shape (Ribuah), fixing black paint on the Battim, inspecting Retzuos for minimum kosher size, fixing black paint, and inspecting Kesharim, retightening and affixing to the Battim. If you want the Parshiyos to be inspected or major repairs, they will take it to Baltimore and arrangements can be made on an individual basis. Two mezuzos per person can be brought to be checked.
More will have to be left with the sofrim and arrangements made on an individual basis for pickup. The cost is $15 per person. For more information please contact Tuvia Hanik, 301-801-5282 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual program in Memory of Rabbi Morris D. and Rebbetzin Esther Rosenblatt – Sunday, September 8, at Congregation Kneseth Israel, 1125 Spa Road, Annapolis. Sarah Hurwitz, former senior speechwriter for Barack & Michelle Obama, will discuss her new memoir on discovering meaning in Judaism, “Here All Along.” Free to the public: light breakfast at 10:15 AM, program at 11:00 AM.
Golden Network Caregiver Support Group – Sunday, September 8, 10:15 – 11:15 AM at KMS – room F .This group is geared towards Jewish women whose spouses are living at home or are in a medical facility and are affected by a chronic physical illness or a cognitive condition. For more information or if you plan to attend please contact Hedy Peyser, MSW, email@example.com
Chai Rollers – Did you know that Chai Lifeline is changing the lives of our neighbors, community members, and friends right here in the Greater Washington, DC area? By providing support through professional social workers and case managers that coordinate critical support services for a growing number of sick children – and their families – right here in our community, Chai Lifeline Mid-Atlantic is making a difference in the lives of our neighbors, friends and community members. Help support this amazing work at our first Chai Lifeline Mid-Atlantic fundraiser in the GW area on Sunday September 8. Chai Rollers will be an amazing Casino Night, at the iconic Fillmore Silver Spring.
There will be casino games, great food and drinks, and great prizes. Every dollar raised at this event directly impacts children in OUR community living with pediatric illness. Learn more or register at: www.chailifeline.org/chairollers
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday night, September 10, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. This week's Shiur will be given by Mrs. Herzberg.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, September 11, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Ovadia Hayat at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Kollel Zichron Amram and Mesorah Women's Learning Institute present: Discussions of Elul and Yamim Noraim from Michtav M'Eliyahu – the penetrating thoughts and practical perspectives of Rav Eliyahu Dessler, ZT”L. Experience how Rav Dessler's thoughts can provide us with a deeper look at Torah, life, and ourselves. For men: Thursdays at 8:00 PM at the Yeshiva of Greater Washington, starting September 5. For women: 8:00 PM on Mondays at the home of Mrs. Helene Goodman, 10711 Stoneyhill Drive, starting September 9.
Inspiration in the New Year – Join AMIT Birah Chapter of Greater Washington, DC on Tuesday, September 17 at 7:30 PM for keynote speaker: Dr. Miryam Kiderman, PsyD. The event will take place at a private home in Silver Spring. The cost is $18. Light refreshments will be served. Contact: AMIT 410-484-2223 or Robbiep@amitchildren.org for more information or register online at www.amitchildren.org/events
LinkedIn Head Shots – In cooperation with Kemp Mill JobAssist, Dovid Fisher, local photographer and videographer, will take free LinkedIn head shots on Sunday, September 22, between 2:30 and 4:00 PM, in the Small Social Hall. To reserve your specific time slot, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org
Census Bureau Is Hiring.- The Census Bureau will be hiring thousands of people for the 2020 Census. More information and apply at https://2020census.gov/en/jobs
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the YISE late Mincha.
13th Global Siyum Hashas – GWCK invites men and women of the community to join them for an inspiring trip to the 13th Global Siyum Hashas of Daf Yomi at Met Life Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ, January 1, 2020 – 1:00pm. GWCK will be arranging bus transportation to and from the Siyum Hashas. For more information and to reserve your seat on the bus www.gwckollel.org/siyumhashas
The Greater DC Diaper Bank empowers families and individuals in need throughout DC, Maryland, and Virginia by providing an adequate and reliable source for basic baby needs and personal hygiene products. You can donate diapers and other items in Kemp Mill at the Licht home, 11609 Yeatman Terrace. Leave your donation in the red bin by the front door. Include your contact information so the Diaper Bank can let you know how much your donation is appreciated. To find out more about the work DC Diaper Bank does, visit www.dcdiaperbank.org If you have questions, contact Panina Licht at email@example.com
Capital Kosher Pantry – The shelves at Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry need restocking. Please help us replenish the foods so very needed by your friends and neighbors. Items most needed at this time include: Almond or soy milk, apple juice, canned fruit, cereals, granola/snack bars, healthy grains (farro, rice mixes), juice packs, pancake syrup, pareve crackers, pasta sauce, pizza sauce, rice cakes and vegetarian baked beans. Please DO NOT donate pasta or matzah. All items must be factory sealed in unbreakable containers, Kosher and well within the use-by date.
Donation boxes are located in area shuls, Berman Hebrew Academy, Moti's Market, Shalom Kosher, Torah School, YGW Girls Division and in front of Yad Yehuda House at 1910 University Boulevard West. Please place only packaged food donations in the boxes. You may also visit yadyehuda.org/pantry to shop online and have products shipped directly to the Pantry. Our friends and neighbors in need rely on your generous assistance. Thank you so much for doing your part.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; firstname.lastname@example.org
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up.”
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday September 8 Monday September 9 Tuesday September 10 Wednesday September 11 Thursday September 12 Friday September 13
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30* 6:10*, 7:15 6:15*, 7:15 6:15*, 7:15 6:10*, 7:15 6:15*, 7:15
Ashkenazi 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:05* 7:05* 7:05* 7:05* 7:05*
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:56 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:54 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:38 PM
* Sephardi Selichot 50 minutes before 1st Shacharit, 50 minutes before Mincha
September 13 – 14, 2019 – 14 Elul 5779
Parshas Ki Seitzei
Light Candles: Friday by 7:02 – Havdalah: 7:59
* Light Candles by 7:02, and not before 6:01
Ashkenazi: 6:30, 7:05, 7:00 (Ruach) Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:00 Sephardi: 6:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:59
Shabbos, September 7 Parsha & Popsicles in the Park, 4:30 PM
Sunday, September 8 “How to Prepare for Meaningful Prayer”, 11:00 AM
Friday, September 13 Ruach Minyan, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Shabbos, September 14 “Meat” & Greet, 1:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 11 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-55c61 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager