Parshas Shoftim – August 21 – 22, 2020
Download the August 21 – 22, 2020 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hamaayan, Likutei Torah and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 21 – 22, 2020 – 2 Elul 5780 – Parshas Shoftim
Light Candles by 7:36 – Havdalah 8:35
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Melissa & Yosef Kalinsky in honor of Mom, Faith Ginsburg, and Uncle Raph Ginsburg for hosting our family for such a special summer, and to the Shul for hosting the Kalinsky pod, and in honor of Rabbi Rosenbaum, Seth Katz and Manasseh Katz for all they did for us while we were in Silver Spring.
* Leah & Yoni Bresler on the birth of a granddaughter, Noa Maayan, born to their children, Devorah (Bresler) & Azriel Gold, of Alon Shvut. Mazal Tov also to grandparents, Ariella & Yossi Gold and Great Aunt and Uncle, Elaine & Jerry Taragin, and Super Safta and Super Sabba, Donna & Morti Taragin, and great-grandmother Miriam Krantz and big sister Shvut and all the family!
* Yosef Frenkel on his Aufruf at the 9:30 Minyan this Shabbos morning in advance of his forthcoming marriage to Eliana Jacoby, daughter of Ricki & Rabbi Aaron Jacoby of Chicago, IL. Mazal Tov also to Debbie & Jacob Frenkel, and to siblings Menachem, Chaim, Shoshana and Eliana.
* Judy & Stuart Rosenthal on the engagement of their son, Jeremy, to Samantha Kahn, daughter of Robin & Matthew Kahn of Newton, MA. Mazal Tov also to Tova (Rosenthal) & Jeremy Felder of Mekor Chaim, Jerusalem.
* Miri Walls on her engagement to Yoni Schick of Clifton, NJ.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
* Light Candles by 7:36, and not before Plag, 6:30
* Mincha: 6:20, 7:45
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (7:54 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (6:30 PM).
* Shacharis: 6:30, 7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 10:35 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 4:30, 6:30, 7:00 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:35
* High Holiday Survey – Go to https://www.yise.org/hhsurvey to complete YISE Rosh Hashanah/Yom Kippur Survey to help us plan for the High Holidays.
* Shul reopening has begun! Go to https://wp.yise.org/planning-for-shulreopening/ for more details.
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register.
* All other activities at YISE are cancelled, including Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Youth Announcements
Youth Socially Distant Hike this Sunday, August 23, 10:00 AM. Registration at https://wp.yise.org/hike is required. See flyer for or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and updated times, go to https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua,Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com Zoom B.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom C.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom H.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, Zoom G.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom D (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom C.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics, Zoom I
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 7:30 PM
* For Women – will resume after Sukkos.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver. For more information, please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom J.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 784 431 8176
Zoom C: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
Zoom F: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom G: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
Zoom H: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom I: ID: 977 463 8680, password GWCK
Zoom J: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
YISE Programs and Listings
Yizkor Guide – The Yizkor Guide is used in all Minyanim for four Yizkor services during the year (Yom Kippur, Shemini Atzeres, Pesach and Shavuos.) Since Yizkor may be said without a minyan, we are preparing to home-deliver copies of the Yizkor Guide to all Shul members who regularly say Yizkor. As before, an unlimited number of name listings are available in the new guide for a Yizkor Guide sponsorship of $180. Alternatively, individual name listings can be purchased for $18 each. The deadline for Yizkor Guide sponsorships or individual listings he been extended to Thursday, August 27. To sign up online, go to www.yise.org/yizkor If you have questions, please contact Marc Katz at email@example.com
Navigating Emergencies in a Pandemic: Emergency Room or Not? When you should go and major differences when adults and children visit the ER. Avoiding repeat visits by following up with your primary care physicians, in-person and virtually. Some Halachic guidelines if you are in the ER over Shabbos or Yom Tov. Speakers: Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum, Young Israel Shomrai Emunah; Dr. Eva L. Moses, emergency medicine; Dr. Neil M. Siegel, family medicine. Organized by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and Sulam School, co-sponsored by KMS, YISE, SSJC, Kehilas Ohr Hatorah, SEHC and Chabad of Silver Spring. Sunday, August 23, 10:45 AM – 11:45 AM on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
Order your Lulavim & Esrogim from YISE and help support the Shul!
YISE is working this year with Josh Breitstein to bring you the finest quality Arba Minim sets. Complete details and order form at: www.yise.org/lulav
Aleph $ 80 Beis $ 65 Gimmel $ 55 Chinuch $ 36
Order deadline: Wednesday, September 16
Due to COVID-19 concerns, individual selection of Esrogim will not be possible. Pickup will be between Yom Kippur and Sukkos, with reserved appointment times. Details will be sent by email.
Payment at pickup – check payable to Josh Breitstein, or cash.
Come join Rabbi Koss's monthly Jewish History class now on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, September 7, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom. Connection Details: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87176978136?pwd=UCtwNGVSMHE3ckgrcktSWjJiZzk3QT09 Meeting ID – 871 7697 8136, password 329598 phone number: 301-715-8592. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Condolences on his passing to the family of Morris Wisotsky, husband to Rita, father to Sara (and Noam) and Burton (and Lisa), brother to Max (and Honey) and Rochelle (and Alan), David (and Lynn), grandfather to Guy, Itai, Maya and Shira, Rachel (and Michael), Seth, Daniel and Josh and great-grandfather to Gavi. The funeral took place on Tuesday in Israel. The family can be reached at 972-54-4-772-425 or email@example.com
Outdoor Social-Distanced Shofar Blowing – For those who will not be able to attend a Minyan on Rosh Hashanah, Kemp Mill Shuls are organizing Shofar blowing at outdoor locations throughout the community on Sunday, September 20, the second day of Rosh Hashanah. A list of times and locations is being developed and will be announced soon. Additional experienced Shofar blowers are needed. If you can help, please contact Aron Trombka at firstname.lastname@example.org
Joy Laughter, Hoda'ah & Bracha – The Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington invites you to join us in thanking all those who have worked tirelessly to keep The Wallerstein Mikvah open and safe during the pandemic, and share a laugh to boost our mental health with stand-up comedian Eli Lebowicz. Wednesday, September 9, 8:00 PM via Zoom. RSVP by September 3 at www.mikvahemunah.com We can't be together in person but join us online to help MES reach its important fundraising goals, ensuring our Mikvah keeps women safe and enhances the beauty of the Mitzvah of Taharat Hamishpacha.
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, August 26, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them Daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead Sunday
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE. Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM; Monday through Friday 6:00 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM.
Mincha and/or Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 6:30 PM/7:05 PM (Sephardi Selichot)/7:35 PM/9:30 PM.
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:40 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:49 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:44 PM
August 28 – 29, 2020 – 9 Elul 5780
Parshas Ki Seitzei
Light Candles: Friday by 7:25
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 26 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager
Hashomer Rosh Hashanah Greetings
The Rosh Hashanah issue of HaShomer will print the traditional New Year's Greetings from our members. Pricing is eighth page $18, quarter page $32, half page $54, full page $100. Please send in greetings by Friday, August 28. Questions? Call Simi at the Shul office, 301-593-4465 x403. The form is available at www.yise.org/hashomer-greetings-2020.pdf Please print the form and check off the size, and write your message below, on the reverse side or on another sheet of paper, and fax, scan or mail to YISE. You may also email your ad to email@example.com Preferred format is image file or PDF matching the ordered ad size. If you want the ad to appear as it did last year, please say so clearly in the email or on the form. Thank you for your support of YISE.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org – Sponsor name, Birthday or anniversary date, Name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
* Simi and Sammy Franco wish their anniversary buddies, Bruce & Nancy James and Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum a very happy anniversary! August 22nd was a great day to get married!
* Vivian Kirshenbaum wishes her husband Arnie a very happy 21st anniversary
* Happy Birthday to David Mazel with best wishes from your family!
* Bobbi & Jules Meisler wish our son, Jan, a Happy Birthday
* Bobbi & Jules Meisler wish our daughter-in-law, Naomi, a Happy Birthday.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Chumash Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Silver's Tuesday Evening Parsha Shiur
* Rabbi Silver's Daily Chizuk Dose on WhatsApp
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's morning and evening Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Judy & Dr. David Marwick to wish Mazal Tov to Esther Meisler & Yisrael Katz on their recent marriage and to their parents and grandparents.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Shiur
* Marisa Roy and David Ratner in memory of David's mom, Jacqueline Ratner, Yassi bat Yahshua Vavaol whose Yahrtzeit is the 28th of Av.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* Anne & Scott Schlesinger
* David Jaray for a Refuah Sheleima to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all who attend his shiur. Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Parsha Drasha
* Esther & Alan Baldinger in memory of Esther's father, Stanley Bloch, Shlomo Aharon ben Dov Michel, A¡¨H.
* Simi & Sammy Franco in honor of their son Nathan's Bar Mitzvah, Parshat Shoftim, 24 years ago and in gratitude to Judah Lifschitz for the many hours he spent teaching Nathan for the Bar Mitzvah!