Parshas Shoftim – August 13 – 14, 2021
Download the Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Included in the PDF are the Likutei Torah, Hamaayan, Israel Report and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 13 – 14, 2021 – 6 Elul 5781 – Shoftim
Light Candles by 7:47 – Havdalah 8:47
Please join us in welcoming our new Assistant Rabbi, Rabbi Yosef Postelnek. We so look forward to learning from him and getting to know him, Rebbetzin Aliza, and their children Shlomo and Tehillah, and wish them all much happiness and success in our community.
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Monica and Ezra Friedman in honor of Dr. Marc S. Katz and the staff of Kindness Animal Hospital for the years of dedicated care provided our cat, Cameron, and the sensitivity with which we were treated in her final days.
* Leah & Yehoshua Scheininger on the birth of a boy.The Shalom Zachor will take place tonight at 9:30 PM at their home, 906 Lamberton Drive.
* Gila & Rabbi Myron Wakschlag on the birth of a grandson, Yisroel Chanina, born to parents Alana & Efraim Wakschlag of Chicago. Mazal Tov to Savta Raba Judith Halpern, and to Yisroel Chanina's aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Joseph Gamson on the passing of his father, Robert Gamson. Shiva is being observed at 2708 Summerson Road, Baltimore, MD 21209, through Wednesday morning. Visitors are requested Sunday, Monday and Tuesday 12 Noon – 2:00 PM and 6:30 PM – 7:30 PM. Masks are required and please attend Shiva only if you are fully vaccinated.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. All Sephardi Minyanim take place in the Beit Medrash.
* Light Candles by 7:47, and not before 6:39
* Mincha: 6:50 (B), 7:50 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:45 (B), 7:40 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:47
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 and 9:15 Kiddush in a Bag sponsored by members of the community in honor of our new Assistant Rabbi, Rabbi, Yosef Postelnek, and in welcome to Rabbi Yosef & Rebbetzin Aliza Postelnek and their children Shlomo and Tehillah, wishing them much happiness and success in our community.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups will take place this week from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM, indoors. Masks required indoors for age 3+. Age 18-35 months will be located in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 3-5 years will meet in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Michal Merkin, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
* Masks are required for ALL people in the YISE Arcola building, whether vaccinated or unvaccinated, with the exception of children under the age of 3.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building. There are no in-person Kiddushes at this time.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM, will resume August 22.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:00 PM, will resume August 22.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, will resume August 22.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, will resume August 24.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Megillas Eichah, will resume August 25.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, will resume August 25.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, on break for the summer.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM, Zoom D.
* All other classes are on break for the summer.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, now taking place in person in the Social Hall. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org Registration required at gwckollel.org/scp
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, ¡§A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective¡¨, will resume in the fall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kiddushin on Wednesday evenings, 7:00 PM, will resume in August.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
YISE Programs and Listings
Rabbi Rosenbaum will be on vacation from Sunday, August 15 through Friday, August 20. Individuals with halachic questions can contact Rabbi Postelnek at 571-340-0227 or email@example.com Those wanting to contact Rabbi Rosenbaum about pressing matters should contact the shul office and a staff member will notify Rabbi Rosenbaum.
Understanding the 13 Attributes of Mercy – A 3-part series with Rabbi Postelnek, August 15, 22 and 29 at 8:45 PM on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
Order Lulavim and Esrogim from YISE – YISE is working this year with Josh Breitstein to bring you the finest quality Arba Minim sets. Aleph $80, Beis $65, Gimmel $55, Chinuch $36. Order deadline: Friday, September 3. Pickup will be on Sunday, September 19, 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM. Due to COVID-19 concerns, individual selection of Esrogim will not be possible. Order online at www.yise.org/lulav See flyer for details.
High Holiday Babysitting – YISE is pleased to offer High Holiday babysitting on Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. Details at https://wp.yise.org/babysitting Space is limited – first-come, first-serve. If you have questions, please contact Michal Merkin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ask the Rabbi – Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring Halachos of Shabbos and holidays! This month's topic: Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Sukkos. Tuesday, August 24, 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM on Zoom A. The first 45 minutes are for Shailos submitted in advance and the last 15 minutes are for Q & A. Send in your questions about Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Sukkos to: AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, August 22. For more information or to submit questions anonymously, contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 or email@example.com To sponsor the Shiur, contact firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Let's cook (virtually) with Chef Yehuda Malka – Learn how to prepare tasty and healthy Yom Tov dishes and expand your culinary skills on Sunday, August 22, 7:30 PM. See flyer for menu and other details.
Kiddush in a Bag! While we are not yet back to regular in-Shul Kiddushes, we are happy to now offer Kiddush in a Bag for the 8:45 and 9:15 Minyanim. To sponsor the Kiddush in a Bag, contact Simi Franco at email@example.com
Update: Being Social – In the past few months, YISE's Social Committee has organized a range of programs to bring us together virtually, including: Jews (in our community) discussing their service in the US military, Trivia Nights, Painting with Talya, Purim Shpiel, Chagim goody bags … We have also expressed our thanks to the Holy Cross Hospital health workers, and treated the Wheaton Rescue Squad to a special dinner. As we come together again, we would like your ideas and help in organizing fun, interactive, and safe activities. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration for Shomrai Preschool 2021-2022 is now open! We are excited to be offering a Torah-rich, child-centered program for children entering 2 year-old Nursery – 4 year-old Pre-K. School day runs from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Extended care options available from 7:30 AM -8:30 AM and 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM. Register early for maximum savings! Visit our website for tuition rates and online registration at https://preschool.yise.org/registration For more information about the program email Sarah Dollman at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Shabbos Drasha is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Yitzchak & Chana Esther Gedalowitz in memory of Marilyn Gorlin, Yitzchak's Tante.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Shabbos Drasha
* Susan & Bob Levi in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of Bob's Bar Mitzvah
* Douglas & Michelle Shelling in memory of Michelle's beloved mother, Greta Weiner, Golda Rochel bas Dovid, Z¡¨L.
Community Programs & Listings
The Yad Yehuda Clothing Exchange has available hours for all members of the community to shop at no cost the next three Sundays, August 15, 22 & 29, from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM at 1910 University Blvd. West. This is an opportunity for people to come and shop for beautiful, Tzanua clothing in our well-equipped showroom. Everyone must be in good health and not have been in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19. If you have any questions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Beit Midrash for Women – Chavrusa style learning for women on Sunday nights at KMS, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the upstairs Beit Midrash. Questions? Contact Ellie Guberman at email@example.com
The Golden Network – Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Birkat Hamazon with Mrs. Esther Dziadek. Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information, call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Rosh Hashanah Shofar Blowing 5782/2021 – Do you, or someone you know, need to have the shofar blown this Rosh Hashanah because you can't get to Shul? To arrange for a Shofar blower to visit you at home in Kemp Mill, please call or text Aron Trombka at 301-385-9348 or email email@example.com We are also working with neighborhood shuls to possibly schedule a number of outdoor Shofar blowings in the neighborhood. We will monitor government health regulations and the effect of COVID-19 on the Kemp Mill community and will announce more details before Rosh Hashanah. Contact Aron Trombka if you are interested in volunteering to blow shofar at homes in the Kemp Mill community or at Holy Cross Hospital, if the hospital will allow visitors.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, August 18, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Yad Yehuda School Supplies Drive – Yad Yehuda is requesting school supply donations. Our fellow community members benefit so much from your donations. All supplies needed but we especially would like donations of new, high quality backpacks! Please donate funds at yadyehuda.org/donate Drop off supplies in Kemp Mill at 1212 North Belgrade Road or 11613 Fulham Street. If you have any questions contact: email@example.com
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more information.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? Izun is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Email us at email@example.com Fundamentals of Prayer – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up.”
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:01 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:32 AM, Latest Netz: 6:28 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:47 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:47 PM, Earliest Shkia: 7:54 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 8:46 PM
August 20 – 21, 2021 – 13 Elul 5781
Parshas Ki Seitzei
Light Candles: 7:37
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 18 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM;
Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager