Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hamaayan, Likutei Torah and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
June 19 – 20, 2020 – 28 Sivan 5780 – Parshas Shlach/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 8:19 – Havdalah 9:26
• Tzivia Bramson on the engagement of her granddaughter, Esti Waidenbaum, daughter of Libby and the late Rabbi Nuta Waidenbaum, to Eli Potash of Brooklyn.
* Esther & David Hornestay on the marriage of their granddaughter, Ayelet, daughter of Shari & Rabbi Stuart Klammer of Ramat Beit Shemesh, Israel, to Benji Kaufman, son of Jill & Dr. Robert Kaufman of Efrat, Israel.
* Adina & Zach Neumann on the birth of a boy last Friday night, June 12th. Mazal Tov the extended Neumann and Goldwasser families.
* Chaya Topas on the passing of her grandfather, George Topas.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* Light Candles by 8:19, and not before Plag, 7:03
* Mincha: 6:55, 8:25
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (8:37 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (7:03 PM).
* Shacharis: 6:30, 8:00,9:30
One may say the entire text of the blessing of Birkas Hachodesh even when alone. Rosh Chodesh Tammuz is on Monday and Tuesday. The Molad will be Sunday morning 26 minutes and 14 Chalakim after 12, Jerusalem time.
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:00
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 9:26
* Shul reopening has begun! Go to https://wp.yise.org/planning-for-shul-reopening/ for more details.
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan for a registration form.
* All other activities at YISE are cancelled, including Minyanim, Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and updated times, go to https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:15 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua,Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com Zoom B.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom C.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom I.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, Zoom H.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom D (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom C.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics, Zoom J
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua
* For Women – Zoom E:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver. For more information, please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org – See flyer for details.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, ¡§A Second Look- Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective¡¨, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 784 431 8176
Zoom C: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
Zoom E: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom F: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
Zoom I: ID: 834 8407 1267, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom J: ID: 977 463 8680, password GWCK
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Chayie & Rabbi Hirsh Chinn, Ms. Julia Frankson-Morris & Mr. Shmarya Gasner.
Graduation Kiddush-to-Go – The Kiddush-To-Go was delivered to all YISE members in Kemp Mill, White Oak, Woodside and Rockville before Shabbos. See the attached pages for an updated list of graduates, sponsors and volunteers, including names not included on the list delivered with the Kiddush.
Come join Rabbi Koss's monthly Jewish History class now on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, July 6, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom. Direct link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87176978136?pwd=UCtwNGVSMHE3ckgrcktSWjJiZzk3QT09 Meeting ID – 871 7697 8136, password 329598 Phone number: 301-715-8592 For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Free Webinars on Job Search – 12 Steps to a Successful Job Search (free self-paced tutorial from Montgomery College). For more information, go to: https://www.ed2go.com/mcdistance/online-courses/twelve-steps-to-successful-job-search-self-paced-free/
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, June 24, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password 3671.
Can You Be a Hero? BHA Hair Drive for Zichron Menachem – If you have at least 12¡¨ of hair to donate, you can now cut it yourself, or schedule an appointment (when available) to have a professional cut your hair for donation. Contact Nancy Mehlman at 301-452-7080 to get complete instructions, to arrange pickup of your hair, or to arrange for a professional stylist to cut your hair for free when available. Please be a hero and be a part of an amazing group of people who have done this very important Mitzvah!
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them Daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Capital Kosher Pantry – Due to the closure of schools and shuls, the usual steady flow of food donations to the Capital Kosher Pantry has significantly decreased. We're greatly in need of the following very popular food products: Canned white tuna and salmon, sardines, plastic bottles of grape juice, pizza sauce, Near East brand rice mixes, crackers, cereal, whole grain and regular pasta (not spaghetti), Nature's Bakery fig bars. Please purchase these items from any store and then deposit them in one of our donation bin locations:
* In front of: YISE, KMS, Woodside Shul
* In Shalom Kosher, at the front of the store, or in Moti's Market, near the store entrance
* In front of the Capital Kosher Pantry – 1910 University Blvd., West, Silver Spring, MD 20902.
You can also purchase items online at Target, Amazon, Walmart and elsewhere and arrange shipment directly to Capital Kosher Pantry. Our online wishlist is at https://www.yadyehuda.org/pantry-wishlist.html Financial donations to Capital Kosher Pantry are always welcome too. We thank you for your continued generosity and Tizku L'Mitzvot! The Capital Kosher Pantry Team
Community Website for COVID-19 www.covidgw.com In an effort to simplify access to the plethora of available resources for COVID-19 assistance and information, Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington has created a stand-alone website that includes a wide range of resources for the Greater Washington Jewish community. Please visit covidgw.com Information on the site is culled from many volunteers and sources from within our community. New information is being added regularly; please visit often to view updated information and resources. May we all merit Hashem's mercy during this challenging time.
Please note: If you need assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out by visiting covidgw.com If you are not currently experiencing financial challenges, please consider a donation to assist others who are struggling during this crisis.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click ¡§Sign Up.¡¨
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Monday, June 22 – Rosh Chodesh
Tuesday, June 23 – Rosh Chodesh
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan is taking place at YISE – Mincha 7:00 PM, Mincha/Maariv 8:30 PM, Maariv 9:30 PM.
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 4:40 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:26 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:49 PM
June 26 – 27, 2020 – 5 Tammuz 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 8:20
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, June 24 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330 Eruv line: 301-593-5561
E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current inability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrtzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Chumash Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Silver's Tuesday Evening Parsha Shiur
* Rabbi Silver's Daily Chizuk Dose on WhatsApp
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor.
Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's morning and evening Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Fran & Alan Broder in honor of their anniversary
* Steve Kalin for a Refuah Shleimah for Leah bas Risa Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday morning Mussar Shiur
* Nechama & Ted Goodman to commemorate the 2nd Yahrzeit of Nechama's mother, Chaya Liba bas Yoseph v'Sima z"l (Hilda Stark)
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
Chani & Jay Parness
Rabbi Silver's Daily Chizuk
* Fran & Alan Broder in honor of their anniversary
* Fran & Alan Broder in honor of Moshe & Batsheva Broder's anniversary
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Parsha Drasha
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars in honor of Seth & Masha Katz and Family
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars in honor of Manasseh ¡§Kol Bo¡¨ Katz & Aliza Katz and Family
* Fran & Alan Broder in honor of their anniversary
* Bobbi & Jules Meisler to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Bobbi's aunt, Dorthy Peritz, Dubba bas Chaim Yankel, Z"L.
* Atara & Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum in honor of the upcoming marriage of Chaya Freitag, granddaughter of Judy & Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum, to Yisrael Nechamkin