Parshas Shemos – January 17 – 18, 2020
Download the January 17 – 18, 2020 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 17 – 18, 2020 – 21 Teves 5780 – Parshas Shemos
Light Candles by 4:53 – Havdalah 5:56
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the Edeson & Stern families on the 1st Yahrzeit, 19 Teves, of their beloved husband, father, brother & grandfather, Jacob S. Edeson, Yaakov Shlomo ben Yosef Nosson, Z"L.
* Tzivia Bramson on the birth of a great-grandson, Shmuel, son of Devorah & Yaakov Ryp and grandson of Renee & Mayer Weinstein.
* Chava & David Katzoff on the occasion of their son, Simcha, becoming a Bar Mitzvah. Mazal Tov to his sister Tova, and to his grandparents Rivka & Hershi Berman, and Cecile & Jerry Katzoff.
* Sima & Richard Soskin on their son, Yonah, graduating from the Sy Syms School of Business of Yeshiva University. Yonah received a B.S. degree in Marketing.
* Yocheved Arzouan on the passing of her brother, Moshe Lasry. The funeral took place in Israel. Shiva is being observed at 1111 University Blvd. W., Apt. 505, until Tuesday morning. The family requests visitors from 9:00am – 12 noon, from 1:00pm – 5:00pm, and from 6:00pm – 9:00pm.
* Light Candles by 4:53
Ashkenazi: 4:55 Sephardi: 4:50 Nusach Sefard: 4:55
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:50 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:50
* Shabbos ends: 5:56
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi – Moria and Gay Dahan and by Abby and Chaim Tor in appreciation for the Sephardic Minyan.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Chava and David Katzoff in honor of their son, Simcha, becoming a Bar Mitzvah.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:05 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the balcony, will resume Tuesday, January 28.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume January 29.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony, will resume January 29.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Large Social Hall.
Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, in the Small Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah,
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Large Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, in the Social Hall at 7:50 PM.
YISE Programs and Listings
Rabbi's Vacation – Rabbi Rosenbaum will be on vacation from Monday, January 20, through Sunday, January 26. Shaalos can be addressed to Rabbi Silver, 917-363-5840. Anyone who needs to speak with Rabbi Rosenbaum regarding an urgent matter can call the Shul office, 301-593-4465, and Rabbi Rosenbaum will be contacted.
Attention 8:45 Minyan Attendees: Our Spirits are Low – Our supply of liquor has been depleted. Thank you to the previous contributors. For those who would like to assist in replenishing the liquor, please send payment to YISE, earmark: 8:45 Minyan L'Chaim Group. Unfortunately, the liquor store does not accept pledges. Suggested donation $80.
Shomrai Preschool 2020-2021 – Online Registration is now open for children ages 2 to 5 years old with customizable extended care options from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM. Visit preschool.yise.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to schedule a tour. Ask about our special, deeply reduced tuition for incoming two-year-olds!
Dor l'Dor – Come join Dor l'Dor: the Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment, Motzei Shabbos, January 25, 7:30 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! To sponsor this program, contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, February 3, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517.
GWCK Shabbaton – Save the date! Parshas Beshalach, February 7 – 8 at YISE. An Inspirational Shabbos Connecting through Torah, Tefillah, and Song! See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for Groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
Pizza Making – for Middle school boys, Sunday, January 26, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM at Ben Yehuda Pizza. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 24. $9 per person, including tour, pizza making, 2 slices of pizza and a soda. See flyer for details.
Midrash, Manicures and Milkshakes – for women and girls of all ages, Motzei Shabbos, February 1, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM in the Social Hall. $5 per person, max. $20 per family. RSVP to email@example.com See flyer for details.
Community Programs & Listings
Tzurba M'Rabanan – text-based Halacha Sefer learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group Oneg at 4:00 PM, class at 4:15 PM, at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road. Each class is independent – drop-ins welcome.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, January 18, 3:00 PM at 1121 University Blvd. West Apt. 516.
Rabbi, Can I Take This Pill? – Halachos of Medication – Kashrus and Shabbos. Shiur by Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate, Rosh Chaburah,Kollel Zichron Amram. Federal Holiday Learning Program, Monday, January 20, MLK Day, 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM at the Yeshiva Boys Campus, Belonofsky Beis Medrash. For men and women. Light refreshments will be served.
Free Webinars on Interviewing. – Andy LaCivita of Milewalk Academy will provide a series of four free webinars on interviewing, on January 21, 23, 28, and 30, all at 12:00 Noon. For more information and to register, go to: https://www.milewalkacademy.com/andrew-lacivita-job-interview-mastery-workshop
Free LinkedIn Training – A free webinar on LinkedIn by Lisa Rangel of Chameleon Resumes is scheduled for Tuesday, January 21, and Thursday, January 23, both at 1:30PM. To register, go to https://chameleonresumes.com/lireg-01-20
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday night, January 21, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. This week the Shiur will be given by Rabbi Milikovsky.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets at the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, January 22, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. Bring a friend! See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
On the Same Page – Inspired by the recent Siyum Hashas to learn Gemara, but Daf Yomi is a little too fast for you? Try "On the Same Page" – GWCK's Amud (page) a week learning program! Attend weekly classes in a location near you. Men's classes currently in Kemp Mill, Sundays at 9:45 AM and Mondays at 8:15 PM at YISE; Potomac, Sundays at 8:15pm at YIEIP; White Oak, Mondays and Thursdays, 9:00 PM at SEHC and Woodside, Mondays at 9:00 PM at WSAT. Study on-the-go with weekly audio/video lectures. Everything you need to study the Amud on your own is provided. Now Studying Maseches Taanis. To register or to view our archives visit: gwckollel.org/onthesamepage For more info, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com or 347-869-9361.
Capital Kosher Pantry – A bowl of hot soup is comforting this time of year…but Capital Kosher Pantry patrons need the essentials to get there. Donations of soup in all forms (consommé, packets, mixes, cartons, cans) are most welcome, along with "extras" such as barley, lentils and crackers. Other foods are also very welcome. Please place your donations in Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry boxes in many area Shuls and schools, Shalom Kosher, Moti's Market or at the Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd West. Or, you can order online at yadyehuda.org/pantry and have items shipped directly to the Pantry. Thank you!
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; firstname.lastname@example.org
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday January 19 Monday January 20 Tuesday January 21 Wednesday January 22 Thursday January 23 Friday January 24
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 5:00 5:00 5:00 / 7:30 5:00 / 7:30 5:00 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:55 4:55 4:55 4:55 4:55
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:28 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:50 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:51 PM
January 24 – 25, 2020 – 28 Teves 5780
Parshas Vaera/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles: Friday by 5:01 – Havdalah: 6:03
* Light Candles by 5:01
Ashkenazi: 5:05 Sephardi: 5:00 Nusach Sefard: 5:05
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00 Sephardi: 4:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:03
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 25 Dor L'Dor, 7:30 PM
Shabbos, February 7 – 8 GWCK Shabbaton
Sunday, February 9 Tech Café, 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 22 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager