Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Likutei Torah, Hamaayan and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
April 9 – 10, 2021 – 28 Nissan 5781 – Parshas Shemini/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:21 – Havdalah 8:22
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Jack Calman to commemorate the 6th Yahrzeit of his beloved mother, Ruth Calman, Z"L, and by Bev Morris & Art Boyars in honor of Ivan & Arleeta Lerner in gratitude for their friendship and caring of their beloved family.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
* Light Candles by 7:21
* Mincha: 6:00, 7:25, 7:20 (Sephardi)
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (7:39 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (6:18 PM).
One may say the entire text of the blessing of Birkas Hachodesh even when alone. Rosh Chodesh Iyar is on Monday & Tuesday. The Molad will be Monday morning, 47 minutes and 6 Chalakim after 7, Jerusalem time.
* Shacharis: 7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 8:30 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 5:00, 7:20, 7:15 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:22
* Outdoor Minyan – If you are interested in a Shabbos morning outdoor Minyan without a tent, subject to weather conditions, please email Ari Elias-Bachrach at firstname.lastname@example.org The outdoor Minyan location has changed – details will be sent with registration.
* Minyan Changes – We are making changes to the Minyan schedule to accommodate as many members as possible. Watch your email for details, and make sure to check your email every Friday morning to get your personalized Minyan schedule for the following week.
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original registration form, please send an email to email@example.com with details.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Youth Announcements
Fostering Friendships in Young Children and Other Life Skills – Presented by YISE Youth Committee. Featuring Anne Ciner, Psy.D., Sunday, April 18, 8:30 PM on Zoom A. See flyer for details. Lag Ba'Omer at Sandy Spring Adventure Park – Thursday, April 29, 5:30 PM – 9:00 PM. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 14. See flyer for details.
Camp Shomrai is back for another fun-filled summer with programming for children in preschool through ninth grade! Camp runs from July 5th through August 13th. For more info or to register online, visit our website at https://campshomrai.org See flyer for details.
* Tzivia Bramson on the birth of a great-grandson, Zev Nuta Getzel, to Rivky & Eliyahu Landman, daughter of Libby Waidenbaum.
* Janet Deneroff on the engagement of her son, Seth Deneroff, to Jenny Rosen, daughter of Dr. Sharon & Eric Rosen of Teaneck, NJ. An extra special Mazal Tov to grandparents Marilyn & Louis Dauber of Las Vegas, Nevada and Edythe & Rabbi Gabriel Maza of Deer Park, NY.
* Sarah & Matthew Karlin on the birth of a boy, Eliezer Aharon. Mazal Tov to the big brothers, Yakov Gedaliah, Akiva, Meir and Betzalel, the grandparents, Melanie & Sandy Karlin and Leo & Marjorie Sushner, the great-grandparents, Dolores & Len Schwartz and Trudi & Merv Levin and to all of the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Jessica & Kalman Knizhnik on the birth of a girl. Mazal Tov also to big brother Avi.
* Lois & Sid Meyers on the birth of a great-grandson. Parents are Shoshana & Moshe Gleich of Monsey, NY, and grandparents are Jessica & Rabbi Yekusiel Strauss of Fallsburg, NY.
* Brenah & Avi Siegel on the birth of a girl. Mazal Tov to brothers Pace and Jacob, grandparents Joyce & Nino Srour and Diane & Steve Siegel, and Phyllis Siegel, Z"L, and the Aunts and Uncles Eliana & Merric Srour and Randi & Jonny Mass.
* Lew Sosnowik on the engagement of his granddaughter, Dorit Zahava Sosnowik, to Ben Gelman of Woodmere, NY. Mazal Tov to Dorit's parents, Debbie (Rubin) & Dr. David Sosnowik.
* Kitty Wertheimer on the birth of a great-granddaughter, daughter of Iris & Rafi Cohen. Mazal Tov to grandparents, Irene & Barry Wertheimer and Yvonne & David Cohen, and to Iris and Rafi's siblings.
* Teresa Berman on the passing of her brother, Daniel Josephson. Teresa is observing Shiva through Monday morning. She can be reached during Shiva on her cell phone, 347-525-4040.
* Jerry Kaminetzky on the passing of his sister, Phyllis Rand. Jerry is observing Shiva through Wednesday morning. He can be reached during Shiva on his home phone, 561-338-5040, or on his cell phone, 561-400-7072.
* Esther Kantz on the passing of her husband, Sanford Kantz, and Yael Faleder and Sarah Reiss on the passing of their father. The funeral took place in Israel. Shiva is being observed in Israel at the home of Sarah Reiss, through Monday morning. The family can be reached during Shiva at 058-641-6613. Yael can be reached during Shiva by email at email@example.com or by WhatsApp at 301-706-7551.
* Sima Soskin on the passing of her mother, Estelle Rosen. Sima is observing Shiva through Tuesday morning. She can be reached during Shiva at 301-928-1229. Those wanting to know further Shiva details can also call that number.
Commemoration of the Eleventh Yahrzeit of Rav Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L
Please join YISE as we mark the 11th Yahrzeit of Morenu Harav Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, on the second day of Rosh Chodesh Iyar, Tuesday,
April 13, at 1:00pm on Zoom.
Zoom ID: 416 963 9000, phone 301-715-8592, password 492019
Mishnayos will be learnt and brief words of memory shared.
Those interested in sponsoring can contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:00 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM.
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, Zoom I.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom C (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom B.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM.
* For Women – Zoom D, will resume April 26:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program – YISE and GWCK invite men of the community to participate in SCP – a popular and innovative international Halachic study program. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Tuesdays at 9:00 PM on Zoom. New session begins April 20. Registration required at gwckollel.org/scp New topic: Selected Melachos of Shabbos. For more information please contact Rabbi Shaps at firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, ¡§A Second Look-Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom H.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom C: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom E: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom F: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom I: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Drasha
* Laurie & Stuart Cohen to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Stuart's mother, Roberta Cohen, Chiyah Rochel bas Yehudah Laib.
YISE Programs and Listings
41st Annual Yom Hashoah v'Hagvurah Program – Featuring Irma Pretsfelder. Sunday, April 11, 7:30 PM on Zoom A. Presented by YISE & KMS. See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, April 12, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Family Trivia Night – Sunday, April 25, 8:30 PM. Fun for all ages. You don't want to miss this fun & delicious YISE pre-Lag-B'omer Event! 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes awarded. Register by ordering your Ben Yehuda appetizer at https://www.yise.org/trivia Questions? Contact email@example.com See flyer for details.
Update: Being Social. In the past few months, YISE's Social Committee has organized a range of programs to bring us together virtually – Trivia Night, Painting, a Purim Shpiel… We have also expressed our thanks to the Holy Cross Hospital health workers and treated the Wheaton Rescue Squad to a special dinner. A second Trivia night is scheduled for Sunday, April 25. Watch for details. Want to help? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration for Shomrai Preschool 2021-2022 is now open! We are excited to be offering a Torah-rich, child-centered program for children entering 2 year-old Nursery – 4 year-old Pre-K. School day runs from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Extended care options available from 7:30 AM -8:30 AM and 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM. Register early for maximum savings! Visit our website for tuition rates and online registration at https://preschool.yise.org/registration For more information about the program email Sarah Dollman at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Birkas Ha'ilanos – Blessing for Blossoming Trees – There are currently blossoming trees in the backyard of the home of the Mond family, 812 Hyde Ct. The Mond family has given permission to the community to enter their backyard through the gate at the end of the driveway in order to make this Bracha. There is a sign near the tree with the bracha in it.
Sulam 9th Annual Linda Silverman Kahan, A"H, Virtual Memorial Lecture – Sunday, April 11, 10:00 AM on Zoom. All proceeds will benefit Sulam, the only Jewish special education program in the DC area. A generous Sulam donor has agreed to match every dollar raised. The event will feature guest speaker Dr. Joshua Milner on the topic “Judaism, Immunology and the Pandemic: The Road Ahead." To register, go to: https://www.sulam.org/lkml2021
JCRC Community Yom Hashoah Commemoration – Online on Sunday, April 11, 1:00 PM. Keynote speaker Elisha Wiesel, son of Elie Wiesel. For more details and to register, go to https://www.jcouncil.org/events/2021-community-wide-yom-hashoah-commemoration
A Time for Unity! – Special speaker series, Monday evening April 12 and Sunday evenings April 18 – May 9, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM, online at chabadsilverspring.com/zoom As we look forward to Shavuot, the season of the giving of our Torah, let us come together and find inspiration in the words of the Torah. Chabad of Silver Spring will be hosting distinguished rabbis again this year during the weeks between Pesach and Shavuot. This Monday, April 12, Rabbi Yankel Greiniman, Silver Spring Jewish Center.
Penetrating Thoughts and Practical Perspectives – Thoughts on life, Torah and Middos. Based on Michtav M'Eliyahu, from Rav Eliyahu Dessler, Z"L. Mondays, 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Zoom – Meeting ID: 736 4190 7086, Passcode: torah. Presented by YGW Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
What Happened at Sinai: An Exploration of the Sinai Revelation and the Ten Commandments – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Monday, April 12 – Rosh Chodesh
Tuesday, April 13 – Rosh Chodesh
Thursday, April 15 – Yom Haatzmaut
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE.
Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM; Monday/Tuesday/Thursday 6:15 AM/6:35 AM/8:45 AM; Wednesday/Friday 6:15 AM/6:55 AM/8:45 AM. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 7:30 PM.
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:14 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:43 AM, Latest Netz: 6:38 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:48 AM,
Earliest Mincha: 1:43 PM, Earliest Shkia: 7:41 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 8:30 PM
April 16 – 17, 2021 – 5 Iyar 5781
Light Candles: 7:28
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, April 14 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager