Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hamaayan and Likutei Torah, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
April 17 – 18, 2020 – 24 Nissan 5780 – Parshas Shemini/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:29 – Havdalah 8:31
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Debi and Max Rudmann to observe the Yahrzeit of Chaya Rivka (Bubby Irma) bas Leibel and all those whose Yahrzeits occur in Nissan.
* Esther & David Hornestay on the birth of a great-grandson to Aviva & Matt Weiser. Grandparents are Shari & Rabbi Stuart Klammer.
* Dr. Rachel Ravin on the passing of her father, Dr. Stevan Levy. The funeral took place on Chol Hamoed. Shiva is being observed through Wednesday morning. Shiva visits may be made via Zoom as follows: Meeting ID: 977 4962 9305, Password: Ravin; Motzei Shabbos: 9:00 PM – 10:30 PM; Sunday/Monday/Tuesday: 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM, 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM and 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
* Elissa Weisblatt on the passing of her mother, Fanny Weisblatt. The funeral will take place on Sunday. Elissa will observe Shiva from Sunday afternoon at 1:00 PM through Friday afternoon at 4:00 PM. Elissa may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-404-7284. Elissa's brothers can be reached as follows: Joe: email@example.com or Israel: 972-54-497-0140; Michael: firstname.lastname@example.org or 718-791-7675.
* All public activities at YISE are cancelled, including Minyanim, Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
* Please continue to be vigilant regarding matters of personal hygiene as previously advised. If you are unwell, please do not enter the Shul or other public places. We urge you to adhere to all medical advice you may receive regarding self-quarantine.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep us all in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Note that Davening times are listed for reference so that people may Daven at the same time as others. There are no Minyanim at YISE at this time.
* Light Candles by 7:29, and not before Plag, 6:24
* Mincha: Ashkenazi: 6:30, 7:30 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos/Maariv prior to Shkia (7:47 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (6:24 PM).
* Shacharis: Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:25 Sephardi: 7:25 Nusach Sefard: 7:25
* Shabbos ends: 8:31
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list, go to https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com conference call A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom D:
* Mondays: Rabbi E. Gayer – A to Z of Jewish Living
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua
* For Women – Zoom E:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An indepth analysis
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver. For more information, please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org – Zoom B.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, conference call B.
For Zoom, go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call in using the listed number:
* Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, phone 301-715-8592, password 492019
* Zoom B: ID: 226 175 681, phone 929-205-6099, password 044308
* Zoom C: ID: 349 754 2180, phone 301-715-8592
* Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, phone 301-715-8592
* Zoom E: ID: 601 853 4021, phone 301-715-8592
* Conference call A: Dial in: 480-660-5302 PIN: 565-527
* Conference call B: Dial in: 717-275-8940 PIN: 345-0663
YISE Programs and Listings
Yom HaShoah v’Hagvurah Program – Tuesday, April 21, 7:30 PM. Please join us ONLINE for this year's YISE/KMS Yom HaShoah program, featuring Mr. Alex Raden, a child survivor of the Warsaw Ghetto. The Program link will go “live” on the night of the program and connects to the KMS website as follows: https://www.kmsynagogue.org/yom-hashoah-program-2020.html The online program will begin at 7:30 PM. Please encourage your children and grandchildren, grades 6 and above, to attend. Looking forward to seeing you there. See flyer for details.
Blood Drive – The community blood drive originally scheduled for Sunday, April 19, will not take place due to COVID-19 restrictions. The blood drive will be rescheduled as soon as possible.
Camp Shomrai 2020 is open for registration! Programs for campers entering 2-year-old preschool through 9th grade. Camp Dates: Monday, June 29 -Thursday, August 13. Register online at https://campshomrai.campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at email@example.com
Shomrai Preschool 2020-2021 – Online registration is now open for children ages 2 to 5 years old with customizable extended care options from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM. Visit preschool.yise.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to schedule a tour. Ask about our special, deeply reduced tuition for incoming 2-year-olds!
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Chametz After Pesach 2020
* Chametz may be purchased from all Capitol K establishments and caterers.
* Chametz may be purchased from the following national stores: Aldi, BJ's, Costco, CVS, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Kmart, Lidl, Petco, PetSmart, Rite Aid, Royal Farms, Save-A-Lot, Sam's Club, Shoppers Food and Pharmacy, Trader Joe's, Walgreens, Walmart, Wegmans, Whole Foods Market, Winn-Dixie
* Chametz may be purchased from the following stores in our community: H Mart, MOM's Organic Market, ShopRite of White Oak
* Chametz may only be purchased from Snider's beginning four weeks after Pesach, May 15.
Due to possible Chametz distributed by a Jewish company, if one has the option of purchasing Chametz from other stores, it is commendable to not purchase Chametz from Giant, Safeway or Target until four weeks after Pesach, May 15, Due to a potential limited supply of food due to COVID-19, this would not be the year to be stringent on this matter if not feasible.
Community Programs & Listings
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, April 22, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password 3671.
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them Daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Community Helping Community: Yad Yehuda’s COVID-19 Crisis Relief – During this crisis, previously financially stable households in our community are already experiencing financial challenges. Yad Yehuda is receiving many more assistance requests than usual. Community financial donations are critical now. Please make an additional donation to Yad Yehuda today to help us address this unforeseen need at www.yadyehuda.org/donate
A COVID-19 Telephone Assistance Hotline is now available at 301-494-1010, Sunday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM. When you call, one of our dedicated Yad Yehuda volunteers will answer questions and help connect you with resources in the Jewish community and the area at large. If the volunteer is unable to answer your issue or question, they will, IY”H, ensure that someone gets back to you in a timely manner. Our friendly volunteers are there to help and will do so with the utmost discretion and privacy. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/covid19 for additional and updated information.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up.”
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
No Minyanim will take place at YISE next week. You are encouraged to Daven at home at your regular Minyan time. Mincha was scheduled for April 19 – 23 at 7:35 PM (Ashkenazi)/7:30 PM (Sephardi). In addition to Shiurim listed above, conference calls are scheduled with Rabbi Rosenbaum for Tehillim and a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha in the mornings (Sunday 9:00 AM, Monday through Friday 8:30 AM) and for Tehillim and a 15-minute Shiur in the evenings (Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM) using Zoom A listed above.
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:41 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:42 PM
Tuesday, April 21 Yom HaShoah v’Hagvurah Program, 7:30 PM
April 24 – 25, 2020 – 1 Iyar 5780
Parshas Tazria/Metzora/Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles: Friday by 7:36 Havdalah: 8:39
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday April 22 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561
E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday – 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager