Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 26 – 27, 2022 – 30 Av 5782 – Parshas Re'eh/Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 7:29 – Havdalah 8:28
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Florence & Larry Radkowsky to commemorate the Yahrzeits of their fathers, Emanuel Kramer, Menachem Nosson Ben Mordechai Hakohen, Z"L, and Aaron Radkowsky, Aharon Ben Leib Zalman Hakohen, Z"L.
* Masha & Seth Katz and Naomi & Jan Meisler on the birth of a granddaughter, Chana Leeba, to their children Esther & Yisrael Katz. Mazal Tov to great-grandparents Bobbi & Jules Meisler, and Beverly Rosenstein. Mazal Tov also to uncles Hershel, Meir, and Nossi, and aunt Chaya Malka, as well as to great-aunt and uncle Aliza & Manasseh Katz, and the extended Katz and Meisler families.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on the marriage of their granddaughter Malka Gittel Bart, daughter of Rivka & R' Evan Bart of Richmond, VA, to Tzvi Nash of Bergenfield, NJ. Mazal Tov also to Frieda Bart and Uncle Jonathan.
* Naomi & Nechemia Mond on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to the big brothers and sisters, grandparents Ita & Jimmy Mond and Betty & Stuart Ozar, aunt and uncle Elisheva & Yossi Katz and all of the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Sara Silver on the birth of a son to her children Nomi & Cobi Goldman of Skokie, Illinois. Mazal Tov as well to great-grandmother Vivian Silver.
* Linda & Ed Zurndorfer and Martha & Ed Karl on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Pitachya Shlomo (Tachy), son of Tova Leah & Donniel Karl of Ramat Beit Shemesh Aleph. Mazal Tov to all of the aunts, uncles, and cousins and to the extended families.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash
* Light Candles by 7:29, and not before 6:24
* Mincha: 6:10 (Plag, B), 7:30 (B), 7:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:25 (B), 7:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends: 8:28
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Hashkamah Minyan Group.
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by the Zeltser Family to commemorate the 10th Yahrzeit of Mel Zeltser, Elimelech Yehuda Ben Shmuel Zvi Hakohen, Z"L, and by Simi & Sammy Franco in honor of their 40th anniversary this past week.
* Any person eligible for a fully FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine (16 years of age or older), but who chooses to not be vaccinated may attend YISE Minyanim and events with the following guidelines. Unvaccinated individuals must remain masked at all times while in the Shul building, including at Kiddushes and/or other events containing food. Masks may not be removed to eat or drink. Exceptions will be made for private functions being held at the Shul, but that are not Shul sponsored events.
* Anyone with any of the following symptoms should not come to shul: fever of 100.4 degrees or higher, chills, muscle aches, sore throat, severe cough, headache, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose, or new loss of sense of taste or smell. If you have tested positive for COVID, you should follow the CDC guidelines.
* Masks are now optional for vaccinated adults and for children under 16.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, August 27, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years (girls only) will meet at Shomrai and walk over to The House. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer Shabbos Group Updates: Older boys summer Shabbos groups are canceled through August 27. Older girls and preschool summer Shabbos groups will continue as usual through August 27. There will be no Shabbos groups on Labor Day weekend, September 3. Our outstanding school year Shabbos groups begin again on September 10!!
Calling All Rising 5th and 6th Grade Boys!! Rabbi Rosenbaum is learning weekly with rising 5th and 6th grade boys one hour before Mincha in the YISE Social Hall. Bring your hard questions! Refreshments will be served.
Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos morning. The Shiur will be given by Rabbi Rosenbaum this Shabbos.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman will give the Gemara Shiur after the Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash.
Online YISE Cholim List – Our Cholim list is now automated. Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list will be used for the Mi Sheberach for Cholim made at the 8:45 Minyanim on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. If you have specific questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For any other questions about the Cholim list, contact Seth Katz at email@example.com
Protecting Our Children From Predators & Abusers – Presented by the Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington on Sunday, September 4, at 7:30 PM at YISE, featuring Dr. Norman Blumenthal, with Divrei Pesicha from Rabbi Aaron Lopiansky. See flyer for details.
High Holiday Mailing – The High Holiday mailing with information about seats, child care, Yizkor and Hashomer greetings has been sent to all members. You can also go to www.yise.org for more information, including downloadable seat forms, online registration for child care and online sponsorship of the Yizkor guide.
New Member Meat & Greet BBQ – Join us for a delicious BBQ and welcome newcomers to our community! Sunday, September 11, 4:00 PM – 6:30 PM, at the field at the Boys Yeshiva, 1216 Arcola Ave. RSVP by Tuesday, September 6 at www.yise.org/bbq $12 per adult, $7 per child, family maximum $40.
Lulavim & Esrogim – Order online at www.yise.org/lulav Deadline September 25. See flyer for details.
Living Shabbos – Join YISE young professionals for a new series on the laws of Shabbos with Rabbi Postelnek. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman, 11611 Kemp Mill Road. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group contact Rabbi Postelnek at firstname.lastname@example.org Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/living-shabbos See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, September 5, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Pre-Rosh Hashana Family Apple Picking – Sunday, September 18, 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM at Homestead Farms in Poolesville. $3 per person. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Shabbos Groups Leader – Are you a teenage boy who wants to make a real difference? Be a Shabbos Groups leader. Lead Tefillah, Parsha and games for boys ages 6 to 9. For more information, contact Esti Thurman at email@example.com
Kiddush Volunteers Needed from ALL Minyanim to help set up and clean up for Kiddushes on Shabbos morning. Times vary. Let us know when you are available. Contact Barbara Price at 301-332-8181.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, has a current need at this time. Please sign to volunteer if you can. For more information or if you need help signing up, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301- 681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Hannah & Robert Klein in memory of Mrs. Sarah Braun, Z"L, mother of Rebbetzin Atara Rosenbaum.
* Judy & David Marwick and Debi & Max Rudmann to commemorate the first Yahrzeit of Avi West, Z"L, on the 26th of Menachem Av.
* Diana & Leonard Ruchelman on the Yahrzeit of Diana's mother, Esna Bas Leah, whose Yahrzeit was the 21st of Av.
* Sue & Ray White in honor of the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Yedidya Langer.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
4. Yom Tov Drasha Sponsorships are $72 each.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 6:30 PM (Note new time), Zoom A, will not take place on Wednesday, August 31.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A, will not take place on Wednesday, August 31.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:50 AM breakfast, 10:05 AM Shiurim:
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – Zoom D.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman -Reading Responsa – Zoom E.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – YesodeiHatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter, is on summer break.
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Levy 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", is on summer break.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Metzia. Wednesday evenings, 8:15 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Rachel Bassan Horowitz Memorial Fund
Rachel Bassan Horwitz, a 32-year-old mother of three small boys, came to the United States from Israel for a hoped-for, life-saving transplant. However, Rachel passed away in February 1994. She grew up in Silver Spring and the community set up a fund in her memory to be used to help individuals with MEDICAL needs. We have distributed thousands and thousands of dollars to individuals living in our area as well as in communities in both the US and Israel requiring financial assistance with medical needs. Our funds are depleting and in order for us to continue this much needed Medical Needs Fund, we need your financial assistance. We hope we can count on you. Your support is critical.
Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to Young Israel Shomrai Emunah (YISE) Charity SPECIAL Fund, mark for Bassan Fund.
Send to: Howard Schulman, 707 Lamberton Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20902
For further information, call Howard Schulman at 301-213-2429.
Norma Burdett and Pearl Bassan may also answer some questions about the Bassan Fund.
Community Programs & Listings
Kidney Donation Needed – Mr. Gerry Segelman, father of Micah Segelman, is in need of a kidney transplant. If you would consider being a kidney donor, please contact Rabbi Chaim Steinmetz at Renewal for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 718-431-9831 ext 209.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, August 31, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Halacha and Design of a Modern Mikvah – The Mikvah Emunah Society invites men and women to a Shiur by Rabbi Hillel Shaps on Sunday, September 11, at 11:00 AM in the Kemp Mill Synagogue tent, followed by "A Look at the Inner-Workings of The Wallerstein Mikvah", a tour led by Alan Broder. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you're joining us, so we can prepare enough coffee and refreshments; however, walk-ins are welcome.
Alshich on the Parsha with Rabbi Levy – Shabbat afternoon between Mincha and Maariv in the Franco Beit Midrash.
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
The Book of Jonah – A 4-part series presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps on Wednesdays at 8:00 PM on Zoom D. August 31 through September 21. Plumb the depths of one of the Bible's most fascinating yet misunderstood episodes and uncover its great lessons in preparation for Yom Kippur! To register, go to https://linksgw.org/classes
MitzvahCycle/MitzvahRun 2022 – Join Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington on Sunday, September 11, to bike, run or walk to support patients and their loved ones in our community. Fun, food and family-friendly activities. Register at www.mitzvahcycle.org Email email@example.com for more info.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, which began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person 1-1/2 hours before the main YISE Mincha, at the Yeshiva.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 28 – Rosh Chodesh
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:16 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:45 AM, Latest Netz: 6:39 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:51 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:42 PM, Earliest Shkia: 7:35 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 8:26 PM
September 2 – 3, 2022 – 7 Elul 5782
* Light Candles by 7:18, but not before 6:15
* Mincha: 6:00 (Plag, B), 7:20 (B), 7:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:15 (B), 7:10 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:17
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 31 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager