Included in the PDF are the Likutei Torah, Hamaayan, Israel Report and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 6 – 7, 2021 – 29 Av 5781 – Re'eh/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:55 – Havdalah 8:57
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Florence & Larry Radkowsky to commemorate the Yahrzeits of their fathers, Emanuel Kramer, Menachem Nosson ben Mordechai HaKohen, Z”L, and Aaron Radkowsky, Aharon ben Leib Zalman HaKohen, Z”L.
* David Abrams on the birth of a great-grandson to Rena Greenfield & Ori Kanefsky of Berkeley, California.
* Faith Ginsburg on the birth of a great-grandson, Yitzchok Chaim Weixelbaum, born to parents Sarah Miriam & Zach Weixelbaum. Mazal Tov to grandparents Shulamit & Rabbi David Ginsburg, and to great-aunts and uncles, Sahra & Yale Ginsburg and Raphael Ginsburg.
* Chagit West on the passing of her husband, Avi West. The funeral took place on Thursday. Shiva is being observed at 11303 Monticello Ave. through Wednesday morning. In-person visits outside in backyard tent, Sunday/Monday/Tuesday, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM and 2:30 PM – 4:30 PM. Zoom visits Sunday/Monday/Tuesday, 4:30 PM – 6:30 PM, Meeting ID: 264 464 6605 Passcode: 2644646605 Mincha/Maariv outside in backyard tent, Sunday/Monday/Tuesday, 7:50 PM.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. All Sephardi Minyanim take place in the Beit Medrash.
* Light Candles by 7:55, and not before 6:46
* Mincha: 7:00 (B), 7:55 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:50 (B), 7:45 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:57
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Beinish Ginsburg
* 8:45 and 9:15 Kiddush in a Bag is sponsored by Melanie & Sandy Karlin in honor of their 36th wedding anniversary.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups will take place this week from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM, indoors. Masks required indoors for age 3+. Age 18-35 months will be located in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 3-5 years will meet in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Michal Merkin, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
* Masks are required for ALL people in the YISE Arcola building, whether vaccinated or unvaccinated, with the exception of children under the age of 3.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building. There are no in-person Kiddushes at this time.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:00 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Megillas Eichah, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, on break for the summer.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM, Zoom D.
* All other classes are on break for the summer.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, now taking place in person in the Social Hall. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org Registration required at gwckollel.org/scp
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, ¡§A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective¡¨, will resume in the fall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kiddushin on Wednesday evenings, 7:00 PM, will resume in August.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
YISE Programs and Listings
More Minyan Options – If you are interested in resumption of the Nusach Sefard Minyan (Friday night, Shabbos morning, Shabbos Mincha/Maariv), 8:00 Minyan (Shabbos morning) or 7:35 Minyan (Monday through Friday mornings), please send a message to email@example.com by August 9, including your name, number of men/women interested in attending, interest in regular vs. occasional attendance at the Minyan and whether or not you are a member of YISE. Please feel free to contact Rabbi Rosenbaum at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-4465, ext. 405 with any questions or concerns.
Ask the Rabbi – Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring Halachos of Shabbos and holidays! This month's topic: Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Sukkos. Tuesday, August 24, 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM on Zoom A. The first 45 minutes are for Shailos submitted in advance and the last 15 minutes are for Q & A. Send in your questions about Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Sukkos to: AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, August 22. For more information or to submit questions anonymously, contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 or email@example.com To sponsor the Shiur, contact firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Yizkor Guide – The Yizkor Guide is used in all Minyanim for four Yizkor services during the year (Yom Kippur, Shemini Atzeres, Pesach and Shavuos). Since Yizkor may be said without a minyan, we are prepared to home deliver some copies of the Yizkor Guide to our Shul members who regularly say Yizkor and feel more comfortable davening at home. If you would like a home-delivered copy, please contact the Shul office at 301-593-4465 x403 or email email@example.com
As before, an unlimited number of name listings are available in the new guide for a Yizkor Guide sponsorship of $180. Alternatively, individual name listings can be purchased for $18 each. The deadline for Yizkor Guide sponsorships or individual listings is August 9. To sign up online, go to www.yise.org/yizkor If you have questions, please contact Marc Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Let's cook (virtually) with Chef Yehuda Malka – Learn how to prepare tasty and healthy Yom Tov dishes and expand your culinary skills on Sunday, August 22, 7:30 PM. See flyer for menu and other details.
Kiddush in a Bag! While we are not yet back to regular in-Shul Kiddushes, we are happy to now offer Kiddush in a Bag for the 8:45 and 9:15 Minyanim. To sponsor the Kiddush in a Bag, contact Simi Franco at email@example.com
Update: Being Social – In the past few months, YISE's Social Committee has organized a range of programs to bring us together virtually, including: Jews (in our community) discussing their service in the US military, Trivia Nights, Painting with Talya, Purim Shpiel, Chagim goody bags … We have also expressed our thanks to the Holy Cross Hospital health workers, and treated the Wheaton Rescue Squad to a special dinner. As we come together again, we would like your ideas and help in organizing fun, interactive, and safe activities. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration for Shomrai Preschool 2021-2022 is now open! We are excited to be offering a Torah-rich, child-centered program for children entering 2 year-old Nursery – 4 year-old Pre-K. School day runs from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Extended care options available from 7:30 AM -8:30 AM and 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM. Register early for maximum savings! Visit our website for tuition rates and online registration at https://preschool.yise.org/registration For more information about the program email Sarah Dollman at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Shabbos Drasha is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* The Dimont, Ginsburg and Neuman families in memory of Chayim Dimont, Chayim ben Harav Avraham Mordechai, Z¡¨L.
* Judy & David Marwick in honor of Elaine & Robert Leichter
* Judy & Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum in memory of Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum's grandmother, Beatrice Groner, Rivka bas Yisroel, Z¡¨L.
* Lynn & Aron Trombka to mark the 5th Yahrzeit of Aron's father, Jacob Trombka, Yisrael Yaakov ben Yosef Natan, Z¡¨L.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Shabbos Drasha
* Ruthie & David Rider in appreciation of Rabbi Rosenbaum's unwavering guidance and support of our family.
Community Programs & Listings
The Yad Yehuda Clothing Exchang has available hours for all members of the community to shop at no cost this Sunday, August 8, from 10:00 AM – 12 Noon at 1910 University Blvd. West. This is an opportunity for people to come and shop for beautiful, Tzanua clothing in our wellequipped showroom. Everyone must be in good health and not have been in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19. If you have any questions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Beit Midrash for Women – Chavrusa style learning for women on Sunday nights at KMS, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the upstairs Beit Midrash. Questions? Contact Ellie Guberman at email@example.com
LinkedIn Headshots – On LinkedIn, a professional headshot can improve your chances of being ¡§found¡¨ by recruiters and prospective employers. In cooperation with Kemp Mill JobAssist, Dovid Fisher, a local photographer and videographer, will take free headshots on Sunday, August 8, 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM, in the YISE Social Hall. To reserve your specific time slot, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Golden Network – All programs will take place on Zoom B. For more information, call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com
* Lunch and Learn: ¡§Elul – A Journey to Love¡¨ with Rabbi Shmuel Leigh. Tuesday, August 10, 11:00 AM – 11:45 AM. Note time change, lunch cancelled and learning on Zoom instead of in person.
* Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Birkat Hamazon with Mrs. Esther Dziadek. Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM, beginning August 4.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, August 11, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Yad Yehuda School Supplies Drive – Donate school supplies including backpacks, paper, pens, pencils, notebooks, highlighters, folders, rulers, etc. Two drop-off locations in Kemp Mill: 1212 North Belgrade Road and 11613 Fulham Street. You may also donate online at yadyehuda.org/donate If you have any questions please contact: email@example.com
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more information.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? Izun is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Email us at email@example.com
Fundamentals of Prayer – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click ¡§Sign Up.¡¨
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 8 – Rosh Chodesh
Monday, August 9 – Rosh Chodesh
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 4:52 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:24 AM, Latest Netz: 6:21 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:44 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:49 PM, Earliest Shkia: 8:04 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 8:56 PM
August 13 – 14, 2021 – 6 Elul 5781
Light Candles: 7:47
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 11 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM;
Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager