Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hamaayan, Likutei Torah and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 14 – 15, 2020 – 25 Av 5780 – Parshas Re'eh/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:45 – Havdalah 8:45
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by in honor of SawYouAtSinai.com, as it celebrates, with the guidance of Hashem, bringing 3,534 Yehudim to the Chuppah. Please check out their engagement page to see the diversity of happy Kallahs and Chasanim.
* Shari & Rabbi Scott Hillman on the engagement of their daughter, Tova, to Zach Berman of Potomac.
* Esther & David Hornestay on the birth of a great-grandson, Naveh Shmaya, son of Ohr & Oren Hirschhorn of Haifa, Israel, and to grandparents Lisa & Shimon Hirschhorn of Raanana, Israel.
* Aliza & Russell Kwiat on their daughter, Tova, marrying Benny Ioschikhes on Tu B'Av in Israel. Mazal Tov also to grandparents, Nancy & Avi Weisberger, and to both families.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on the birth of a great-grandson to their grandchildren, Yehudis (Bleeman) & Hillel Miller. Mazal Tov to grandparents Susie & Aaron Bleeman of Toronto and D'vorah & Rabbi Shmuel Miller of Irvine, California.
* Bobbi & Jules Meisler and Naomi & Jan Meisler on the marriage of their granddaughter and niece, Nechama Elisheva, daughter of Sara & Marc Meisler of Baltimore, to Yisroel Zalman Weiner, son of Miriam Esther & Shammai Weiner of Providence, Rhode Island. Mazal Tov to her siblings, Esti, Shoshana and Devorah & Dovid Chaim and to cousins Nossi, Chaya and Esther & Yisrael.
* Hedy Peyser on receiving the Albert Nelson Marquis Who's Who Lifetime Achievement Award. The selection was based on “Career longevity, philanthropic endeavors, and lasting contributions to society.”
* Paula & Michael Schopf on the marriage of their grandson, Daniel Schopf, to Danielle Zukerman of Kemp Mill. Mazal Tov to Daniel's parents, Lisa & Simmy Schopf, and Danielle's parents, Jennifer & Jeffrey Zukerman.
* Yael & Rabbi Sanford Shudnow, Frida Zipor, Sara Leah & Rabbi Menachem Kovacs and Hadassah Kovacs, on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson Noam Kovacs, son of Sarrit & Yossi Kovacs. Mazal Tov to siblings Eitan and Liat and to Uncle Erez Safar.
* Sara Silver on the birth of a boy to her children, Nomi & Cobi Goldman, in Chicago this past week.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan
If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* Light Candles by 7:45, and not before Plag, 6:37
* Mincha: 6:25, 7:50
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (8:03 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (6:37 PM).
* Shacharis: 6:30, 7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 10:35 (Sephardi)
One may say the entire text of the blessing of Birkas Hachodesh even when alone. Rosh Chodesh Elul is on Thursday and Friday.
The Molad will be Wednesday morning, 54 minutes and 16 Chalakim after 1, Jerusalem time.
* Mincha: 2:30, 5:00, 7:00
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:45
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and updated times, go to https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A, will not meet Monday through Wednesday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A, will not meet Monday through Wednesday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A, will resume on Friday, August 21.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A, will resume on August 26.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua,Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A, will resume on August 26.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com Zoom B.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, will resume in Elul.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom H.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, will resume in Elul.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361. CLAS will resume in Elul.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver. For more information, please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom F.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 784 431 8176
Zoom F: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom H: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
* High Holiday Survey – Go to https://www.yise.org/hhsurvey to complete YISE Rosh Hashanah/Yom Kippur Survey to help us plan for the High Holidays.
* Shul reopening has begun! Go to https://wp.yise.org/planning-forshul- reopening/ for more details.
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register.
* All other activities at YISE are cancelled, including Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Programs and Listings
Yizkor Guide – The Yizkor Guide is used in all Minyanim for four Yizkor services during the year (Yom Kippur, Shemini Atzeres, Pesach and Shavuos.) Since Yizkor may be said without a minyan, we are preparing to home-deliver copies of the Yizkor Guide to all Shul members who regularly say Yizkor. As before, an unlimited number of name listings are available in the new guide for a Yizkor Guide sponsorship of $180. Alternatively, individual name listings can be purchased for $18 each. The deadline for Yizkor Guide sponsorships or individual listings is August 21. To sign up online, go to www.yise.org/yizkor If you have questions, please contact Marc Katz at email@example.com
Rabbi Rosenbaum will be on vacation from Monday, August 17, through Wednesday, August 19. If you need to contact him about an urgent matter, please contact the office and a staff member will notify him.
Navigating Emergencies in a Pandemic: Emergency Room or Not? When you should go and major differences when adults and children visit the ER. Avoiding repeat visits by following up with your primary care physicians, in-person and virtually. Some Halachic guidelines if you are in the ER over Shabbos or Yom Tov. Speakers: Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum, Young Israel Shomrai Emunah; Dr. Eva L. Moses, emergency medicine; Dr. Neil M. Siegel, family medicine. Organized by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and Sulam School, co-sponsored by KMS, YISE, SSJC, Kehilas Ohr Hatorah, SEHC and Chabad of Silver Spring. Sunday, August 23, 10:45 AM – 11:45 AM on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
YISE Board of Directors meeting – The next regular meeting will take place on Wednesday, August 19, at 8:30 PM, on Zoom. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Come join Rabbi Koss's monthly Jewish History class now on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, September 7, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom. Connection Details: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87176978136?pwd=UCtwNGVSMHE3ckgrcktSWjJiZzk3QT09 Meeting ID – 871 7697 8136, password 329598 phone number: 301-715-8592. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Outdoor Social-Distanced Shofar Blowing – For those who will not be able to attend a Minyan on Rosh Hashanah, Kemp Mill's Shuls are organizing Shofar blowing at outdoor locations throughout the community on Sunday, September 20, the second day of Rosh Hashanah. A list of time and locations is being developed and will be announced soon. Additional experienced Shofar blowers are needed. If you can help, please contact Aron Trombka at firstname.lastname@example.org
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, August 19, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them Daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Community Website for COVID-19 www.covidgw.com In an effort to simplify access to the plethora of available resources for COVID-19 assistance and information, Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington has created a stand-alone website that includes a wide range of resources for the Greater Washington Jewish community. Please visit covidgw.com Information on the site is culled from many volunteers and sources from within our community. New information is being added regularly; please visit often to view updated information and resources.
May we all merit Hashem's mercy during this challenging time. Please note: If you need assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out by visiting covidgw.com If you are not currently experiencing financial challenges, please consider a donation to assist others who are struggling during this crisis.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up.”
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Thursday, August 20 – Rosh Chodesh
Friday, August 21 – Rosh Chodesh
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE. Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM; Monday through Friday 6:00 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM.
Mincha and/or Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 7:00 PM/6:40 PM (Sephardi)/7:45 PM/9:30 PM.
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:33 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:47 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:47 PM
August 21 – 22, 2020 – 2 Elul 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 7:36
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 19 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager
Hashomer Rosh Hashanah Greetings
The Rosh Hashanah issue of HaShomer will print the traditional New Year's Greetings from our members. Pricing is eight page – $18, quarter page $32, half page $54, full page $100. Since each greeting requires typing or specific lettering and layout, we ask that you please reply by Friday, August 28, to give time for this additional work. Questions? Call Simi at the Shul office, 301-593-4465 x403.
The form is available at www.yise.org/hashomer-greetings-2020.pdf Please print the attached letter and check off the size, and write your message below, on the reverse side or on another sheet of paper, and fax, scan or mail to YISE. You may also email your ad to email@example.com Preferred format is image file or PDF matching the ordered ad size. If you want the ad to appear as it did last year, please say so clearly in the email or on the form. We thank you for your support of YISE and wish you good health & best wishes in the coming year.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org – Sponsor name, Birthday or anniversary date, Name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Chumash Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Silver's Tuesday Evening Parsha Shiur
* Rabbi Silver's Daily Chizuk Dose on WhatsApp
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's morning and evening Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi & Mrs. Haim Arzouan in memory of Yocheved Arzouan's mother, Messody bas Yehudah, Z"L, Messody Lasry whose Yahrzeit is on the 22nd of Av.
* Bobbi & Jules Meisler in memory of Bobbi's Uncle, David Peritz, Shlama Dovid ben Hirsch Velvel.
* Judy & Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum in memory of Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum's maternal grandmother, Beatrice Groner, Rivka bas Yisroel.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray for a Refuah Sheleima to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all who attend his shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Parsha Drasha
* Leah Paretzky and family on the first Yahrzeit, L'ilui Nishmas Harvey Paretzky, Rafael Yisrael Chaim ben Harav Mordechai Aryeh, Z"L.