Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 26 – 27, 2019 – 24 Tammuz 5779 – Parshas Pinchas, Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 8:07 – Havdalah 9:10
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week in commemoration of the Shloshim of Shira Yaffa Saperstein, Z"L. The family would like to thank everyone for their prayers, help, visits and donations.
* Rebbetzin Anemer on the marriage of her grandson, Chaim Anemer, son of Kendy & Rabbi Yisroel Anemer, to Ahuva Landau of Lakewood.
* Tenise & Joel Becker on the birth of a grandson, Menachem Aryeh, born to their children Hadassah & Yitzi Becker of Betar. Mazal Tov to siblings Avigayil, Shua, Shmuel Tzvi, Kalman, and Esti.
* Tzivia Bramson on the birth of a great-grandson, Shmuel, to Chava Rachel & Reuven Gleiberman and grandson of Renee & Mayer Weinstein. Mazal Tov to all of the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Adina & Fred Friedman on the birth of a grandson, Nesanel Simcha, to their children Laia & Raffi Abberbock of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to all of the relatives.
* Corey Heart on the Bar Mitzvah of her son, Avi. Mazal Tov to sisters Arielle and Ahava, and father George Heart.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss and Frieda Bart on the birth of a great-grandson. Parents are Bracha & Rabbi Barry Eichenbaum of Passaic, New Jersey. Mazal Tov also to great-uncle Jonathan Bart and to big sister Ahuva Miriam.
* Cassie & Hector Mariscal on the birth of their daughter and to the new Bubbe and Zayde, Gita & Ron Farbman, new aunt & uncle Julia & Jared Farbman, and the entire Mariscal family.
* Sara Elikan on the passing of her mother, Jaffa Munk. Shiva is being observed at 516 Ridgewell Way through Sunday morning. Shacharis Sunday 8:00 AM.
* Sheila Gaisin on the passing of her husband, Dr. Allen Gaisin, and Miriam Adler, Meredith Benschar, Arthur, Daniel, Jeremy, Reuven and Shlomo Gaisin on the passing of their father, and Gail Glicksman on the passing of her brother.Shiva is being observed at 806 Lamberton Drive through Sunday morning. The family will receive visitors on Motzei Shabbos until 11:00 PM. Maariv Motzei Shabos, 9:10 PM. Shacharis Sunday 8:00 AM.
* Naomi Meisler on the passing of her father, Sol Rosenstein. The funeral took place on Sunday in Baltimore.
* Edwin Zaghi on the passing of his father, Yehuda Zaghi. The funeral took place on Sunday in Los Angeles.
* Light Candles by 8:07, and not before 6:55
Ashkenazi: 6:40, 7:10, 8:10 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 8:05 Sephardi: 7:50 Nusach Sefard: 8:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:10
* 8:00, 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Sephardi Minyan, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Oded & Esti Tapiro in memory of their daughter, Noy Rut bat Esti, and by Nino & Joyce Srour as Hakarat Hatov to Hashem.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Cassie & Hector Mariscal, with gratitude to Hashem, in celebration of the Zeved Habat. May Hashem bless her now and forever with love, wisdom, and a passion for Torah.
* 9:15 Minyan – Rabbi Gedalia Walls and family, along with his parents, Miriam & Robert Allen Walls, to commemorate the Yahrtzeit of grandmother Devorah bas Eliezer v'Gittel, Z"L.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study, will resume August 3.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Social Hall.
Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter, will resume in the fall.
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 7:25 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics, will resume in the fall.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter,will resume in the fall.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume in the fall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:15 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this Shabbos.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva.
Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
Family Hike – Join YISE Youth for a family hike on Northwest Branch Trail, Sunday, August 4, 9:30 AM. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Kelim Mikvah Update – The Cheryl Stern Community Kelim Mikvah is open again! Please make sure to take boxes, bags, wrappers, labels and other trash with you after using the Mikvah.
Dedicate a brick in the path to the Keilim Mikvah at YISE. Your engraved brick will be placed on the sidewalk in front of the Mikvah.
* Brick: 4" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 3, Characters per line: 20, Cost: $ 180.00 each
* Double Brick: 8" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 6, Characters per line: 20. Cost: $ 500.00 each
Donations are 100% tax deductible. For more details visit: www.yise.org/brick
High Holiday Seats – Forms have been sent in the mail to members and are also available on the YISE website at www.yise.org/seats Please complete and forward to the Shul office as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com
Advances in Cancer Treatment – Sunday, July 28, 10:30 AM – 12 Noon in the YISE Small Social Hall. Learn about new techniques, their potential, how they work. Understand different treatment stages, how to advocate for yourself, and locate resources. Hear about coping with cancer and glean insights about quality of life issues. See flyer for details.
Community Service Day – Be part of a Community Service Day on Sunday, August 4 from 12 Noon – 2:00 PM, sponsored by YISE, KMS and Chabad of Silver Spring. Volunteer at A Wider Circle distribution center, 9159 Brookville Rd., Silver Spring, MD – 301-608-3504. Help sort through donations, stock shelves, or load trucks. Great activity for most ages – individuals, families, and groups welcome. Upper School students get community service hours. For more information and to RSVP, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org First-time volunteers should fill out the waiver form: http://awidercircle.org/wpcontent/ uploads/Volunteer-Packet-2019-Waiver-Only.pdf Directions: Take Georgia Ave. south toward Silver Spring, turn right onto 16th St., right onto 2nd Ave., left onto Luzerne Ave. and park at Woodlin Elementary and walk around the dividing fence to A Wider Circle. A Wider Circle furnishes roughly 20 homes a day, thanks to the wonderful help of volunteers like you!
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a Jewish history topic, Monday, August 5, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, August 7, 12 Noon, Social Hall. Dr. Alan Breitler, Great Scientists, Part 4 "Ada Byron, Countess of Lovelace, and Computer Programming"
Save the Date! YISE Annual BBQ – Sunday, August 18, 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM in the Social Hall. $10 per adult, $5 per child, family max. $45. Go to www.yise.org/bbq for see flyer for details.
Substitute Teachers – Shomrai Preschool is hiring substitute teachers for the 2019-2020 school year. Please contact Suri Kinzbrunner at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT¡¨L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs and Listings
Shabbos afternoon Shiur at University Towers – 1121 University Blvd W, Apt 516, on Shabbos, July 27 at 4:30 PM.
Tzurba M'Rabanan learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:30 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group at 4:45 PM at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday night, July 30, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. This week's Shiur will be given by Allison Ginsberg.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1- 1/2 hours before the YISE late Mincha.
Boys Sunday Summer Learning and Pizza – GWCK invites boys entering 5th and 6th grades to learning and pizza with Rabbi Chaim Biberfeld. Sunday, July 28 – 10:15 AM -11:15 AM at Ben-Yehuda Pizza. No charge. Please RSVP to email@example.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, July 31, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Ovadia Hayat at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Survival of the Caretaker – Hear and share your experiences and thoughts on this topic at The Golden Network Caregiver Support Group. The next meeting will take place on Sunday, August 4, 10:15 AM – 11:15 AM at KMS, room F. This group is geared towards Jewish women whose spouses are living at home or are in a medical facility and are affected by a chronic physical illness or a cognitive condition. For more information or if you plan to attend, please contact: Hedy Peyser, MSW, email@example.com 301-649-9870.
NechamaComfort – Please join NechamaComfort for a discussion on how to best support friends and family through infertility, miscarriage, and infant loss. Reva Judas, founder of NechamaComfort, will provide guidance and advice. Monday, August 5, 8:00 PM – 9:30 PM at the home of Avi & Brenah Siegel, 11536 Daffodil Lane. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP, with any questions, or to be a sponsor. No cost to attend, open to men and women.
The Greater DC Diaper Bank empowers families and individuals in need throughout DC, Maryland, and Virginia by providing an adequate and reliable source for basic baby needs and personal hygiene products. You can donate diapers and other items in Kemp Mill at the Licht home, 11609 Yeatman Terrace. Leave your donation in the red bin by the front door. Include your contact information so the Diaper Bank can let you know how much your donation is appreciated. To find out more about the work DC Diaper Bank does, visit www.dcdiaperbank.org If you have questions, contact Panina Licht at email@example.com
We accept the following NEW and unexpired items: Diapers & pullups (open packages accepted), formula, baby food & toddler snacks, new & unopened bottles and nipples, new & unopened pacifiers, food: non-perishable canned goods and dry goods, wipes, diaper rash cream, tampons/pads (open boxes OK if individually wrapped), shampoo/conditioner, deodorant, toothbrushes/toothpaste for adults and children, lotion for adults and babies, adult diapers- sealed packages only, cloth diapers, toilet paper, soap. We also accept the following gently used items: Potty training seats, baby bathtubs. We don't accept: postpartum hospital supplies, cribs/mattresses, breast pumps or pump parts, used bottles or feeding supplies, clothes.
Capital Kosher Pantry – The shelves at Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry need restocking. Please help us replenish the foods so very needed by your friends and neighbors. Items most needed at this time include: Almond or soy milk, apple juice, canned fruit, cereals, granola/snack bars, healthy grains (farro, rice mixes), juice packs, pancake syrup, pareve crackers, pasta sauce, pizza sauce, rice cakes and vegetarian baked beans. Please DO NOT donate pasta or matzah. All items must be factory sealed in unbreakable containers, Kosher and well within the use-by date.
Donation boxes are located in area shuls, Berman Hebrew Academy, Moti's Market, Shalom Kosher, Torah School, YGW Girls Division and in front of Yad Yehuda House at 1910 University Boulevard West. You may also visit yadyehuda.org/pantry to shop online and have products shipped directly to the Pantry. Our friends and neighbors in need rely on your generous assistance. Thank you so much for doing your part.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; firstname.lastname@example.org
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday July 28 Monday July 29 Tuesday July 30 Wednesday July 31 Thursday August 1 Friday, August 2
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 8:05 8:05 8:05 8:05 8:05 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:11 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:39 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM
August 2 – 3, 2019 – 2 Av 5779
Light Candles: Friday by 8:00 – Havdalah: 9:03
* Light Candles by 8:00, and not before 6:50
Ashkenazi: 6:35, 7:00, 8:00 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:55 Sephardi: 7:40 Nusach Sefard: 7:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:03
Shabbos, July 27 Bar Mitzvah of Avi Heart, 8:45 Main Minyan
Sunday, July 28 Advances in Cancer Treatment, 10:30 AM
Wednesday, July 31 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 8:30 PM
Wednesday, August 7 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Sunday, August 18 YISE Annual Barbecue. 3:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, July 31 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager