Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 4 – 5, 2022 – 2 Adar II 5782 – Pekudei
Light Candles by 5:45 – Havdalah 6:45
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Arleeta Lerner in memory of her mother, Raizel Bas Simcha, whose Yahrzeit is 14 Adar (Purim) and by Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner in memory of his mother, Dena Bas Yehuda Leib, whose Yahrzeit is 4 Adar 2 and by Sheila Gaisin and Family in commemoration of the 23rd Yahrzeit, on 5 Adar, of Sheila’s mother, Nora Millman, Necha Gittel Bas Abraham Zalman. Her birthday and her Yahrzeit both coincide on the 5th of Adar.
* Malya & Lucas Druskin on the birth of a daughter, Adina Miriam, born on 2/15/22. Mazal Tov to grandparents Ilana & Rabbi Binyamin Levin , Janie Kreger and Brian Druskin.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on the engagement of their grandson, Betzalel Miller, son of D'vorah and Rabbi Shmuel Miller of St. Louis, MO, to Daniella Brody, daughter of Suri and Steven Brody, of Cedarhurst, NY.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash
* Light Candles by 5:45
* Mincha: 5:45 (B), 5:35 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen Minyan, SBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:40 (B), 5:35 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 6:45
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* 9:15 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush Group.
* 8:45/9:15/Sephardic Minyan/Teen Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Masha and Seth Katz in honor of their 25th wedding anniversary and by the Khaldar family Leilui Nishmat Moshe Khaldar, Moshe Tuvia Ben Mordechai HaKohen.
Isaac and Eva Moses are planning to sponsor a Kiddush next Shabbos to celebrate all of YISE's young men and women who have attained the status of Bar/Bat Mitzvah in the past two years, while YISE's kiddushes were interrupted. We have an initial list based on Shabbos Shorts announcements, but would like to make sure to get it right. If you are a YISE member whose son or daughter attained majority during this period, and if you would like to make sure that your child is listed or, if you prefer, not listed, please contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday March 8th.
* The YISE Board has mandated that everyone 16 and older who is medically eligible for an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to enter the Shul building.
* Masks are now optional for adults and children.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Women’s Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Hillel Shaps – Unraveling the Navi: Melachim Aleph
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt’s Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person (Social Hall) and on Zoom F.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women – Zoom I
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Sefer Bereishis
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. A new semester began on October 19. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy’s Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart’s Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher’s Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, “A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective”, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan’s Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 7th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom I: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
YISE Programs and Listings
Welcome new members voted in last week at the latest board meeting: Tamar & Bitsu Balay.
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom’s weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos mornings in the Social Hall. This week’s Shiur will be given by Rabbi Rosenbaum.
Daf Yomi Siym on Seder Moed – All are cordially invited to join the local Daf Yomi group to celebrate the siyum of Mesechas Chagiga and Seder Moed. Shabbos Parashas Zachor, March 12. Mincha at 5:30 PM, followed by a festive Shalosh Seudos in the Social Hall.
Seeing the Hand of Hashem…In Nature – A lecture series presented by the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. Second lecture, “In Human Biology and Physiology,” Sunday, March 27, 8:00 PM on Zoom. See flyer for details. Previous lectures are posted on yise.org.
Kashrus in the Kitchen – Learn the background and practical laws of Kashrus. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman: 11611 Kemp Mill Road. Masks optional. Given by Rabbi Postelnek. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group, contact Rabbi Postelnek at 571-340-0227 or firstname.lastname@example.org Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/kashrus-kitchen
Come Join Rabbi Koss’s Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, March 7, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Anti-Semitism and Hate Crimes – A briefing and interactive discussion with John McCarthy, Montgomery County State’s Attorney, and Captain Stacey Flynn, Director, Community Engagement Division, MCPD. Sunday, March 13, 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 863 0551 8383, Passcode: 410077. Questions? Contact Yosefi Seltzer: Yoseltzer2@gmail.com See flyer for details.
Learn about Memory Loss – Please reserve Sunday, March 27, 11:00 AM, for a virtual panel discussion: Diagnosing, Treating, and Providing Care at Different Stages. Dr. Lynn Deutsch (geriatric psychiatrist); Mary Ann Buckley (care manager); Karen Miller (recreation activities specialist); a caregiver; and YISE’s Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum. This is part of Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington’s Healthy Communities Initiative.
Volunteers Are Needed Weekly to help with Kiddushes. If you can help, please contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-4465 x403.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much-needed medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, March 5, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Talya Miller, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at email@example.com
The Science of Techeles – Sunday, March 6, 1:30 PM, in the Social Hall. A live science experiment with Chanokh Berenson. See flyer for details.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt’s Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt’s Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Rochelle Dimont & Family in memory of Chayim Dimont, Chayim Ben HaRav Avraham Mordechai, Z”L.
* Steve Kalin in memory of his mother, Leah bat Baruch
Purim – YISE and Beyond
Get Ready for Purim with a 2-Part Mini Series by Rabbi Postelnek on Zoom A:
* Hashem’s Love Letter – A timeless message to His tired nation in exile – Sunday, March 6, 8:15 PM
* The Fragrance of Purim – How our sense of smell and the Ketores relate to Purim – Monday, March 14, 8:15 PM
Pre-Purim Celebration – Sunday, March 13, 11:00 AM, in the Social Hall. Exciting Mega Magic Show with Crickett
the Entertainer! Come in Costume for a special Costume Parade. Ages 2-11, accompanied by an adult. Stay Tuned
for even MORE exciting Purim FUN with YISE YOUTH! Sponsorships Available: $36, $50, $100, $360 – Please contact
email@example.com to sponsor at any level. See flyer for details.
YISE is back! Family Friendly Megillah Reading, 7:45 PM in the Social Hall, followed by a dairy Break-Fast Meal (RSVP requested but not required), and then a Purim Mesiba with Photo Booth, Bounce House, Snacks & Cocktails, and Pumping Music! Sponsorships available. Please contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP for the Break-Fast or to sponsor any of the events.
21st Annual Purim Yahrzeit Shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel Bas Simcha) – Thursday, March 17. Can join via Zoom at 9:50 AM for Shiur at 10:00 AM SHARP! Meeting ID: 684 682 8415, Passcode: 613613. Direct link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6846828415 The shiur will end no later than 10:30.
Purim Food Drive – Please donate Purim foods to the Capital Kosher Pantry. All items should be factory sealed, well within the use-by date, and certified kosher. Suggested items include flour, sugar, oil, Pareve chocolate, canned fillings, vanilla, yeast, individual sized snack bags and juice boxes. Drop off at Shalom Kosher Market, Moti’s Market, KMS, YISE and the Capital Kosher Pantry, 1910 University Blvd. West.
Purim is coming and AMIT is selling beautiful Purim Cards at $3 each or 10 for $25, Please call Esther Edeson at 301-593-1468 or 301-593-4465 ext. 402 to order.
The Franco Foundation Matanot L'Evyonim – The Franco Foundation helps Jewish individuals and families in our neighborhoods meet basic needs of food, clothing, and shelter. The need has soared because of COVID-19. Your entire donation for Matanot L'Evyonim goes directly to financial assistance for our local Jewish communities and will be distributed on Purim. Send your generous tax-deductible contributions (earmarked Purim) to: The Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street Silver Spring, MD 20902, or donate through Paypal to email@example.com You can email Allan at the same address if you know of individuals or families that need assistance. Thank you for your support.
Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington Matanot L'Evyonim – Donations are being collected between now and Purim. 100% of the money collected will be distributed as Matanot L’Evyonim to local individuals and families in serious financial distress in the Greater Washington area. To donate, please visit https://yadyehuda.org/matonot-levyonim Yad Yehuda is a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization. Tizku L’mitzvot and a Freilichen Purim!
Send and Receive Mishloach Manot greetings and packages to your friends and neighbors throughout the area through Berman Hebrew Academy’s Happy Purim program. For only $2.75 per name, you can share Purim greetings with up to anyone on our 2,000 family list. If you wish to be added to the database to allow others to send to you, and also to receive your personalized login code, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
16th Annual Rose and Bernard Singer Megilla ReadingProgram – The purpose of the program is simply to ensure that no Jew in our community misses out on hearing a megillah reading because of illness, infirmity, or due to some other reason that prevents him or her from getting to shul on Purim. Volunteer readers are needed – please contact Saul Singer ASAP to sign up. If you need someone to read for you, or know of someone who might need a reading, please let Saul know ASAP. Email is preferred, email@example.com, or call 301-593-1193.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
* Simi and Sammy wish Mitch a happy birthday!
Community Programs & Listings
The Men’s Chevra Kadisha is comprised of volunteers with representation from all the Orthodox communities in Maryland and DC. In a typical year, we perform over 185 Taharot for Jewish families requesting one under the Halachic guidance of the Vaad of Greater Washington. With special pandemic protocols in place, we have provided this Chesed without a break in service, in spite of losing a number of volunteers to age, Aliyah, and at-risk volunteer health situations. Consequently, we need your help. Additional volunteers are needed to replenish the ranks of our team so that we can continue to provide effective Taharot to the DC, Maryland, and Virginia communities. To join the Men’s Chevra please contact us at: www.chevrakadishagw.org and select the “Join the Chevra Kadisha” option or call 301-908-2645.
Hidden Miracle: Behind the Scenes in the Book of Esther – New LINKS series with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Wednesday nights at 8:00 PM, January 19 – March 9 on Zoom F. Register at https://linksgw.org/classes
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, March 9, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
YGW Girls Division Annual Production for Women & Girls – “The Way Back” – An Original Play. Two in-person showings at Berman Hebrew Academy, 13300 Arctic Avenue, Rockville, MD. Sunday, March 6, 1:00 PM and Monday, March 7, 7:00 PM. Doors open 30 minutes before showing. Tickets available online and at the door. To purchase tickets or place an ad, go to www.yeshiva.edu Streaming Option Available after the performances. For more information, contact YGWproduction@yeshiva.edu
Linda Silverman Kahan 10th Yahrzeit Memorial Lecture and Brunch – Featuring Guest Speaker Eliot Cohen, Starting with Shylock: How Shakespeare Teaches Empathy. Sunday, March 27, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM. For more information and to register, visit https://www.sulam.org/lkm22
Women’s Online Shiur with Rabbi Yehoshua Levy- Free 1-hour shiur on Zoom on the first and third Sundays of each month at 8:00 PM (NEW TIME). Topic: Eishet Hayil, with principles from Mesilat Yesharim and weekly Sidra. In English. All levels of ability are welcome. You needn't attend every Shiur, but RSVPs are requested. Contact Shiur Coordinator at email@example.com for details.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT”L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu- Please join Dirshu as it began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
Parsha Explorations with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Kemp Mill Synagogue, Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM at KMS and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. For men and women.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Birkat Hamazon with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person at 7:30 AM in the YISE Social Hall.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up.”
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:14 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:41 AM, Latest Netz: 6:34 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:21 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:50 PM, Earliest Shkia: 6:06 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 6:52 PM
March 11 – 12, 2022 – 9 Adar II 5782
* Light Candles by 5:53
* Mincha: 5:55 (B), 5:45 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:30 (B), 5:25 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 6:52
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 9 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465
Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager