Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 8 – 9, 2021 – 3 Marcheshvan 5782 – Noach
Light Candles by 6:21 – Havdalah 7:18
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Jack Calman on the birth of two beautiful identical twin grandsons, Noah and Lev. Mazal Tov to the parents, daughter Judy Calman and son-in-law Mark Roccaforte, of Albuquerque, NM.
* Nancy & Pesach Mehlman on the engagement of their son Shlomo to Yocheved Herbst of Inwood, NY. She is the daughter of Tzivia & Hertzel Yaakov. Mazal Tov to Yocheved and Shlomo and to both families. Special Mazal Tov to grandfather Jack Mehlman.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. All Sephardi Minyanim take place in the Beit Medrash.
* Light Candles by 6:21
* Mincha: 6:25 (B), 6:15 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi), 9:15 (Teen Minyan – 1101 North Belgrade Road)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 6:20 (B), 6:15 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 7:18
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Teen Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* 8:45 and 9:15 Kiddush in a Bag is sponsored by Rabbi Saul & Susan Koss in honor of all those who worked so hard to make the Rosh Hashanah & Yom Kippur davening so beautiful, from the seating to the sermons to the melodies, plus everything inbetween and in honor of our newest great-grandson, Yitzchak Dov Caplan.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:30 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Women’s Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Hillel Shaps – Unraveling the Navi: Melachim Aleph
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt’s Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person (Social Hall) and on Zoom F.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women, Zoom I
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Sefer Bereishis
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) begins a new semester Tuesday, October 19, 8:45 PM. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp See flyer for details.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart’s Shiurim for men & women, Monday – Parasha, Tuesday – Halachos, 8:45 AM, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher’s Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, “A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective”, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan’s Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 7th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom I: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
* The YISE Board has mandated that everyone who is medically eligible for an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to enter the Shul building, effective November 1.
* Masks are required for ALL people in the YISE Arcola building, whether vaccinated or unvaccinated, with the exception of children under the age of 2.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building. There are no in-person Kiddushes at this time.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Programs and Listings
IZUN – Go to https://wp.yise/izun for a special message from Rabbi
Rosenbaum about IZUN, a community resource that provides financial
education and decision-making support for young couples, growing
families, and those facing changes in their financial states.
The Laws and Lessons of Shemitta – Sundays at 8:15 PM on Zoom A.
Join us in learning about Shemitta in a 4-part series with Rabbi Rosenbaum
and Rabbi Postelnek, October 17, October 24, October 31 and November
14. See flyer for details.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim and Parsha Shiur – Videos of past Shiurim are now available at https://wp.yise.org/parsha
Kiddush in a Bag! While we are not yet back to regular in-Shul Kiddushes, we are happy to now offer Kiddush in a Bag for the 8:45 and 9:15 Minyanim. To sponsor the Kiddush in a Bag, contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups will take place this Shabbos, October 9, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends, indoors. Masks required indoors for age 2+. Age 18-35 months will be located in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 3-5 years will meet in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Michal Merkin, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at email@example.com
Mezuzah Workshop – With JCRAFTS. Explore the Mitzvah of Mezuzah! Decorate your own brass Mezuzah case! October 17, 10:00 AM – 12 Noon, in the YISE Social Hall. For ages 4+. Parental supervision is required. Sponsorships are available for this event! Please contact DKatz@Yise.org for more information.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt’s Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week’s Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Mussar Shiur
* Elaine & Robert Leichter
Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Fay Kasser to commemorate the Yahrzeit of her mother, Rivkah Tzivia bas Pinchas, on 29 Tishrei.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
* Eric Golman wishes Liba a happy anniversary
Community Programs & Listings
Rosenblatt Memorial Lecture – You are cordially invited to the 36th annual program in memory of Rabbi Morris and Rebbetzin Esther Rosenblatt on Sunday, October 10, from 11:00 AM to Noon. The featured guest will be Abigail Pogrebin, in conversation with Gary Rosenblatt. The program will take place on Zoom and will include time for participants to interact with the guest. Abigail Pogrebin is an award-winning author, popular moderator, Jewish communal leader and former Emmy-nominated producer for 60 Minutes. Zoom Meeting ID: 642 309 9281
Parsha Explorations with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Kemp Mill Synagogue, Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM at KMS and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. For men and women.
The Mikvah Emunah Society and The Robin Niman Mikvah Education Fund present “De-stress the Dip: Debunking Common Misconceptions about Mikvah Preparation”, an educational evening for women via Zoom, featuring Chayie Chinn. Tuesday, October 12, 8:30 PM. Zoom Meeting ID: 853 8395 0543. Passcode: 056926. Call in number: 301-715-8592. See http://www.mikvahemunah.com for the full flyer.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Birkat Hamazon with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
In Their Footsteps: Life Lessons From Our Patriarchs and Matriarchs – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom F. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Series begins October 13. Register at https://linksgw.org/classes
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, October 13, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Koidenover Rebbe – All are invited to a special evening with the Koidenover Rebbe on Monday, October 18, at the home of Dr. Nick Muzin, 800 Stonington Road. Private meetings with the Rebbe will begin at 7:00 PM. To schedule an appointment or for more information, please contact R Shlomo Slatkin at 443-570-7598 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Hope and Healing Virtual Gala – Honoring Bill Kominers, Jill Goldwater, Ari Shapiro and Miriam Weiss. October 24, 10:00 AM. Register at https://www.wizevents.com/bikurcholimgw-gala2021
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more information.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up.”
Kemp Mill Village is merging into the larger, well-established Silver Spring Village (SSV) as of September 1. All current members will have several additional months to try out the many services offered by Silver Spring Village. Non-members will also be able to experience a trial period to decide if they want to join. To learn more about SSV’s varied offerings, visit https://silverspringvillage.org
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:59 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:27 AM, Latest Netz: 7:20 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 10:03 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:25 PM, Earliest Shkia: 6:27 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 7:17 PM
October 15 – 16, 2021 – 10 Marcheshvan 5782
Parshas Lech Lecha
* Light Candles by 6:11
* Mincha: 6:15 (B), 6:05 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 6:10 (B), 6:05 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 7:08
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, October 13 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager