Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 28 – 29, 2022 – 4 Marcheshvan 5783 – Parshas Noach
Light Candles by 5:54 – Havdalah 6:52
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by the Zuckerman Family in honor of Eli's Aufruf and his upcoming marriage to Rina Breger.
* Florence Binstock Avigan on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Tali, born to Batya & Moti Schecter of Petach Tikva. Mazal Tov also to great aunt and uncle Karen & Howie Schulman and the whole family.
* Hedy Bauman on the birth of a great-granddaughter to new parents Devora & Eli Lehmann of Lakewood, NJ. Mazal Tov to grandparents Rachel & Moty Lehmann of Lakewood and Aviva & Arthur Marks of Baltimore.
* Eva & Nissy Moskowitz on the engagement of their granddaughter Leora, daughter of Gabi & Aryeh Moskowitz of Teaneck, NJ, to Zack, son of Debbie Pine & Mark Orenshein of Teaneck.
* Marina & Gregory Shmunis on the birth of a granddaughter, Florence Val (Fruma Brocha). Mazal Tov to the parents Esther & Shlomo Leibtag of Baltimore, to the grandparents Hadassah & Rabbi David Leibtag of Woodmere, NY, to the great-grandparents Sarra Ferd & Bronya Shmunis, to the Silver Spring aunts and uncles Ahava & Ephraim Leibtag, Shira & Misha Shmunis, and all aunts, uncles and cousins in the US and Israel.
* Eli Zuckerman on his Aufruf, and to his parents Miriam & Jeff Zuckerman, his siblings, nieces and nephews, his future Shver, Kalman Breger, and his future brothers-in-law, who are here to celebrate with him.
Minyan locations are B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Light Candles by 5:54
* Mincha: 5:55 (B), 5:50 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:50 (B), 5:45 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends: 6:52
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Margie & Michael Hourwitz to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Rabbi David Hyatt's parents; 23rd Yarhzeit of Mrs. Ida Hyatt, Z"L, the 14th Yahrzeit of Rabbi Julius Hyatt, Z"L, and the 19th Yahrzeit of Michael's mother, Florence Rogoff Hourwitz (Fayge bas Avraham Mayer), Z"L, 60th Yahrzeit of his grandmother, Sara Rogoff (Sahra Rivka bas Moshe Tzvi) Z"L and the 74th Yahrzeit of his grandfather, Abraham Rogoff (Avraham Meir ben Yehuda Lev) Z"L.
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by Bruce & Nancy James in honor of Bruce's 65th birthday and by the Zuckerman Family in honor of Eli's Aufruf and his upcoming marriage to Rina Breger.
* Any person eligible for a fully FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine (16 years of age or older), but who chooses to not be vaccinated may attend YISE Minyanim and events with the following guidelines. Unvaccinated individuals must remain masked at all times while in the Shul building, including at Kiddushes and/or other events containing food. Masks may not be removed to eat or drink. Exceptions will be made for private functions being held at the Shul, but that are not Shul sponsored events.
* Anyone with any of the following symptoms should not come to shul: fever of 100.4 degrees or higher, chills, muscle aches, sore throat, severe cough, headache, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose, or new loss of sense of taste or smell. If you have tested positive for COVID, you should follow the CDC guidelines.
* Masks are now optional for vaccinated adults and for children under 16.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Youth Announcements
Animal Meet and Greet in honor of Parshas Noach with Ferrets and Friends! – Join YISE Youth this Sunday, October 30, at 11:00 AM in the Social Hall. Meet and learn about different small mammals, reptiles, and amphibians! See flyer for details. For more info., contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan, led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, meets at 9:15 AM every Shabbos in The House next to the Shul. Kiddush is served after davening.
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, October 29, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Shabbos Group for 5th and 6th Grade Girls will gather in the front yard of The House next to the Shul promptly at 10 am and go inside together. See flyer for details.
Junior Congregation for boys in grades 4 – 6 with Jay Marcus Meet in the Lower Lobby at 9:55 and walk to the Yeshiva at 10:00. See flyer for details.
Calling All Rising 5th and 6th Grade Boys!! Rabbi Rosenbaum is learning weekly with rising 5th and 6th grade boys one hour before Mincha in the YISE Social Hall. The Shiur will not take place this Shabbos, October 29.
YISE Programs and Listings
Welcome new members voted in at the latest board meeting: Elisheva & Binyamin Carl, Joshua Chiel, Dassy (Gabai) & Adin Diamond, Yelena Lazdun & Rashid Abramov, Blima & Rabbi Alex Maged, Dr. Shoshana & Mr. Jacob Moer and Avital & Akiva Stone.
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos morning. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Postelnek.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Following the Hashkamah Minyan, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
Kristallnacht Commemoration Program – Featuring Ruth Zimbler, presented by YISE and KMS on Sunday, October 30, 7:30 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. See flyer for details.
Living Shabbos – Join YISE young professionals for a series on the laws of Shabbos with Rabbi Postelnek. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman, 11611 Kemp Mill Road. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group contact Rabbi Postelnek at firstname.lastname@example.org Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/living-shabbos
Mazal Tov to the participants of the Semichas Chaver Program for completing the topic of Hilchos Beis Haknesses and Hilchos Tefillah! Special Mazal Tov to the following people who successfully completed the test on the subject: Paul Berner, Rafi Cattan, Lee Cohen, Rabbi Joshua Dachman, Eric Kjeldergaard, Meir Kramer, Jay Marcus, Judah Mogilensky, Isaac Moses, Robert Rubinoff, Richard Soskin, Merric Srour, and Yaacov Yunger. The new SCP semester begins this Tuesday, November 1. See flyer for details.
Monthly Shalosh Seudos – First Shabbos of each month, starting November 5. To sponsor, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, ext. 103, or email@example.com Volunteers are needed to set up and clean up. Contact Ethan Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org to be part of the rotation.
Bug Checking Seminar – Hands-on presentation with Rabbi Sholom Tendler of the Star-K has been postponed to Sunday, December 11. For more info, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee, Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, November 7 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Return of the Ruach Minyan! Friday, November 4, led by R' Ozzie Burnham. Mincha in the Belonofsky Sanctuary, followed by Kabbalos Shabbos and Maariv in the Social Hall. There will be a special children's story program during part of Maariv with Mrs. Susan Koss! Bring your family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For questions, contact Adam Bashein: 301-943-4370 or email@example.com
Jewish War Veterans' Dining Out Banquet – Thursday, November 10, 6:30 PM at KMS. $55 per person. RSVP at https://diningout.kempmilljwv.com See flyer for details.
Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. For questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For other questions, contact Seth Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Kiddush Volunteers Needed from ALL Minyanim to help set up and clean up for Kiddushes on Shabbos morning. Times vary. Let us know when you are available. Contact Barbara Price at 301-332-8181.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, provides assistance to families undergoing medical crises. We have a current need and more volunteers are required. For information, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at https://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Shiur
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss in honor of a Refuah Shelaimah for R' Reuven Yehudah Ben Zeesa.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur and in memory of parents, Avraham Ben Tzvi HaLevi & Ada Bas Menachem Aryeh, Z"L, and Rabbi Hillel & Mrs. Myrna Klavan, Z"L.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Fay Kasser in memory of her mother, Rivka Tzivia bas Pinchus Z"L, whose Yahrzeit is the 29th of Tishrei.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all those who attend his Shiur.
8:45 Minyan Drasha
* The Zuckerman Family in honor of Eli's aufruf and his upcoming marriage to Rina Breger.
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars in honor of their beloved niece Rachel Feldman and her Chosson, Mendy Fine, on their engagement. Mazal Tov to Chani & Rabbi Shmuel Feldman and the Gantza Mishpacha, including siblings and grandparents Elaine & Neil Gross and Mendy's parents, Bonnie & Jayson Fine of Staten Island.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM, Zoom A, will resume on Tuesday, November 1.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resume on Sunday, November 6.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A, will resume on Friday, November 4.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM. Shiurim:
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter, Zoom D.
* SCP (Semichas Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM at YISE. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Register online at https://thegreaterwashingtoncommunitykollel.com/scp See flyer for details.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM For more information, contact Rabbi Levy 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, “A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", in-person in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom G.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Metzia, Daf 3a. Wednesday evenings at 8:00 PM on Zoom H.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 or 929-205-6099 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, passcode Winter (phone 667362)
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 849 3898 4989, passcode 161699
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
* Elyse & Haim Gabay wish Noam Feldman a Happy Birthday!
Community Programs & Listings
Kidney Donation Needed – Mr. Gerry Segelman, father of Micah Segelman, is in need of a kidney transplant. If you would consider being a kidney donor, please contact Rabbi Chaim Steinmetz at Renewal for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 718-431-9831 ext 209.
Free: Beacon 50+ Expo on Sunday, October 30, 12 Noon – 4:00 PM, at a NEW location: Margaret Schweinhaut Senior Center, 1000 Forest Glen Rd. (down the street from Holy Cross Hospital). Featuring a keynote speaker, more than 75 government, non-profit and business exhibitors, free health screenings, vaccines (flu, bivalent Covid, pneumonia, tetanus and Shingrix — bring your Medicare/insurance cards), entertainment, giveaways and door prizes.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, November 2, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Jerusalem of the Balkans – The Sephardic Jewish Community of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sunday, November 6, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom. Register at https://shindc.org/JBalkans1 SHIN-DC Jewish Communities of the Balkans Series.
From Rhodes to Zimbabwe, Africa – Sephardic history, culture, language (Ladino), community and culinary traditions between the Zambezi and Limpopo Rivers. Sunday, November 13, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom. Register at https://shindc.org/JAfrica1 SHIN-DC Jewish Communities in Africa Series. Questions? Email Sephardic Heritage International (SHIN-DC): firstname.lastname@example.org
Koidenover Rebbe – All are invited to a special evening with the Koidenover Rebbe, Thursday, November 3, at the home of Dr. Nick Muzin, 800 Stonington Rd. Private meetings with the Rebbe will begin at 7:00 PM. This is a unique opportunity to meet the Rebbe, who is much sought after for his Brachos and advice. To schedule an appointment or for more info, contact R' Shlomo Slatkin at 443-570-7598 or email email@example.com
MES and The Robin Niman Mikvah Education Fund presents: "Understanding Menopause Through the Lens of Halacha, Medicine, and Intimacy," an educational evening for women via Zoom. Tuesday, November 8 at 8:30 PM EST. Meeting ID: 818 8834 3481. Passcode: 172732. See https://www.mikvahemunah.com for the full flyer.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Hope and Healing Gala – Honoring volunteers: Julie Brookler, Ellen Haber, Dr. Marc Levitt and Dr. William (Buddy) Stern. Sunday, November 13, 10:30 AM at at B'nai Israel Congregation, Rockville, MD 20852. To reserve or place a journal ad, go to https://www.wizevents.com/bikurcholimgw-gala2022/ For information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Camp Chaverim Early Bird Registration for 2023 is now open! Lock in your spot today by signing up at https://chaverimovernight.com
Alshich on the Parsha with Rabbi Levy – Shabbat afternoon between Mincha and Maariv in the Franco Beit Midrash.
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, which began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com The class will resume on Wednesday, November 30.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person 1-1/2 hours before the main YISE Mincha, at the Yeshiva.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 6:18 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:46 AM, Latest Netz: 7:41 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 10:12 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:22 PM, Earliest Shkia: 6:02 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 6:51 PM
November 4 – 5, 2022 – 11 Marcheshvan 5783
Parshas Lech Lecha
* Light Candles by 5:46
* Mincha: 5:50 (B), 5:45 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:30 (B), 5:25 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 6:45
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 2 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM,
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager