Parshas Noach – November 1-2, 2019
Download the November 1-2, 2019 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 1 – 2, 2019 – 4 Cheshvan 5780 – Parshas Noach
Light Candles by 5:49 – Havdalah 6:48
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Fay Kasser in memory of her mother, Rivkah Tzivia bas Pinchas.
* Faith Ginsburg on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Michal. Mazal Tov to parents Bayla Yehudis & Avraham Dovid Ginsburg of Jerusalem, Israel, to grandparents Chana & Rabbi Benjamin Ginsburg and to great-aunts & uncles Sahra & Yale Ginsburg and Raphael Ginsburg and to all of the extended Ginsburg family.
* Enid & Eliyahu Gross on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson,Chanania Gross, son of Chai & Jonathan Gross of Jacksonville, FL.
* Arleeta and Rabbi Ivan Lerner on the birth of a great-granddaughter, daughter of their grandchildren Shayna (Lerner) & Gavi Sragow of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to grandparents Shoshana & Ari Lerner of Baltimore and Linda & Murray Sragow of Teaneck. Mazal Tov to great-grandparents Carole & Morty Pancer of Kemp Mill.
* Rivka & Oren Perez on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to grandparents Nancy Perez and Howard & Elainea Feldman and great-grandparents Edith Feldman and Natalie & Jerry Steinmetz. Mazal Tov to big sister, Ayelet, and to all of the aunts, uncles and cousins. The Shalom Zachor will take place Friday night at 908 Hoyt Street at 8:00 PM.
* Light Candles by 5:49
Ashkenazi: 5:50 Ruach: 5:50 (Social Hall) Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:45 Sephardi: 5:25 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
* Shabbos ends: 6:48
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Margie & Michael Hourwitz to commemorate the Yahrtzeits of Rabbi David Hyatt's parents, Rabbi Julius Hyatt, Z"L & Mrs. Ida Hyatt, Z"L; the 16th Yahrtzeit of Michael's mother, Florence Hourwitz, Z"L, and in memory of his grandparents, Sara Rogoff, Z"L, and Abraham Rogoff, Z"L.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Heimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – friends of Eric Golman & Liba Chaya Laswell in honor of their upcoming Chasuna. Mazal Tov!
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:40 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, will resume November 10.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, will meet this week in the Small Beis Medrash. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:45 PM, in the Small Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall. On November 5, the Shiur will be given by Rabbi Leigh.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women – new topic: A 2nd Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, in the Social Hall at 7:50 PM.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome a new member who was voted in at the last Board meeting: Eric Golman
Ruach Minyan – The next Ruach Minyan will take place this Friday night, November 1, in the Large Social Hall at 5:50 PM sharp! There will be a special children's story program during Maariv. So, bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic!
Stop the Bleed Training – Sunday, November 3, at YISE. Go to www.yise.org/stopthebleed or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Kristallnacht Commemoration – Sunday, November 3, 7:30 PM at YISE. In commemoration of Kristallnacht, the Night of Broken Glass, YISE and KMS will be hosting Mrs. Halina Silber, a survivor who worked in Oskar Schindler's factories during the Holocaust. Beginning at age 10, her story of survival through the war years included periods in forced labor, in the Slomniki Ghetto and in Auschwitz. Please join us to hear Mrs. Silber's story and to mark the 81st anniversary of Kristallnacht. Children ages 12 and above are encouraged to attend with their parents. Sign language interpreter available. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, November 4, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, November 6, 12 Noon, Social Hall. Dr. Alan Breitler, Great Scientists, Part 6, "Marie Curie and Radioactivity"
Dor l'Dor – Come join Dor l'Dor: the Family Chevrusah-style Learning In a fun environment! Next Motzei Shabbos, November 9, 7:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. This Dor l'Dor is sponsored by Dov & Aliza Chodoff and family & Yonah and Teanna Mainzer and family. See flyer for details.
Protecting Yourself in an Age of Fraud – Sunday, November 10, 10:30 AM – noon in the Small Social Hall. Organized by Bikur Cholim and YISE. Learn about senior financial fraud and exploitation. Panel discussion including Rabbi Rosenbaum, Leslie Kessler, Leah Nichaman and Tovah Kasdin. See flyer for details.
Veterans Day Dining Out – The Jewish Community is invited to the Jewish War Veterans' Post 360 first annual Veterans Day Dining Out., Sunday, November 10, 1800 hours (6:00 PM) at KMS. Join us as we honor the service of those who came before us and for those who are still serving. Guest speaker, Rear Admiral Paul Becker (USN, ret). Cost $65, sponsorship opportunities available. For more details, go to www.schlesingers.com Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs and Listings
Tzurba M'Rabanan learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group at 4:45 PM at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road.
Contraceptives 2.0, Options for You Medically & Halachically – Bracha Rutner KMS Yoetzet Halacha, and Ilana Eastman, CNM, WHNP-BC, midwife and women's health nurse practioner. Shabbos, November 2, 3:45 PM at the home of Ellie Kagan, 709 Kersey Road.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, November 2, 4:00 PM at 1121 University Blvd. West, Penthouse Party Room.
Pirchei – Calling all boys, first through sixth grade! Pirchei takes place every Shabbos at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. See you there! To join our email list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Yad Yehuda's Clothing Exchange is a free clothing store for new or gently-used modest, up-to-date, clothing. We stock men's, women's, children's and infants' clothes and winter coats. We currently have an overabundance of beautiful clothing and are opening our doors to the general Jewish community. Please drop in to see our selection this Sunday, November 3. from 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM and on Sunday November 10 at 9:30 AM and November 17 at 7:00 PM. The Clothing Exchange is located at Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Boulevard West, Silver Spring, MD 20902. There is no charge for items in The Clothing Exchange.
Koidenover Rebbe – All are invited to a special evening with the Koidenover Rebbe, Monday, November 4, at Chabad of Silver Spring, 519 Lamberton Drive (NEW LOCATION). Private meetings with the Rebbe will begin at 7:00 PM, followed by an uplifting Kumsitz at 8:00 PM. To schedule an appointment with the Rebbe or for more information, contact R Shlomo Slatkin at 443-570-7598 or email email@example.com
Post High School Girls Shiur – Wednesday night, November 6, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. This week's Shiur will be given by Rabbi Pepper.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, November 6, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Ovadia Hayat at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Project Akiva – Please join us on Sunday, November 10, from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM at 615 Hyde Rd, for the launch of Project Akiva, L'ilui Nishmas Akiva Leib ben Ezra Meshulam Eliezer. Project Akiva is an organization that will help families heal after the unimaginable loss of a child. There will be fun for the whole family (moonbounce, popcorn, face-painting and more) as a way to introduce Project Akiva and thank the community for the outpouring of love and support that was shown to our family during the life of our son, Akiva. This is an outdoor event, so please bring a jacket if it is chilly. The rain date will be Sunday, November 17. If you have any questions, please email Projectakiva@gmail.com or text 301-802-0558. Ezra and Yiscah Baldinger.
Get EGGcited About STEAM – Join Berman Hebrew Academy on Sunday, November 10, 10:00 AM – noon at Berman for an EGGciting STEAM event with hands-on activities allowing our youngest thinkers to create, problem-solve, innovate and invent. This event is open to the community and is geared towards preschoolers, kindergarteners and their siblings. To register, visit bit.ly/steamatberman or contact Ellie Levine at email@example.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Hope & Healing Gala – November 17, 10:00 AM at Beth Sholom Congregation. Honoring Betty Kramer, Judi Kranz, Max Rudmann and David Zierler. To register, go to www.bikurcholimgw.org For more information, call 202-331-4481 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; email@example.com
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
Fall Back to Standard Time
Don't forget to change your clocks Motzei Shabbos.
7:30 PM Maariv on weekdays, Monday through Thursday. begins this Monday, November 4, in the Large Beis Medrash.
There will also be a regular Mincha/Maariv – Ashkenazi in the Belonofsky Sanctuary and Sephardi in the Large Beis Medrash.
The Week Ahead
Sunday November 3 Monday November 4 Tuesday November 5 Wednesday November 6 Thursday November 7 Friday November 8
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 6:15, 7:15
Ashkenazi 4:50 4:50 / 7:30 4:50 / 7:30 4:50 / 7:30 4:50 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:45 4:45 4:45 4:45 4:45
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:50 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:14 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:22 PM
November 8 – 9, 2019 – 11 Cheshvan 5780
Parshas Lech Lecha
Light Candles: Friday by 4:42 – Havdalah: 5:41
* Light Candles by 4:42
Ashkenazi: 4:45 Sephardi: 4:40 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:40 Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:41
Sunday, November 3 Stop the Bleed, 12:00 noon/2:30 PM/5:00 PM
Sunday, November 3 Kristallnacht Commemoration, 7:30 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 9 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM
Sunday, November 10 Protecting Yourself in an Age of Fraud, 10:30 AM
Sunday, November 10 Veterans Day Dining Out, 6:00 PM at KMS
Sunday, November 24 Blood Drive, 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 6 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-55c61 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager