Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hamaayan, Likutei Torah and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
September 11 – 12, 2020 – 23 Elul 5780 – Parshas Nitzavim/Vayeilech
Light Candles by 7:04 – Havdalah 8:01
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Hillel & Dalia Weiss in honor of the marriage of their grandson, Harel Weiss, son of Zvi and Limor Weiss of Givat Shmuel, Israel, to Tafat Attia of Jerusalem.
* Leah & Michael Bandler on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Tani Menashe, son of Stacy & Ari Bandler of Bexley, OH.
* Great grandmother Dottie Franco and grandparents Shirlee & Steven Franco on the birth of twins ùéøìé øçì (Shirlee) and ùàåì ðøéä (Steven) born to Nathan and Batya Franco. Mabrook to all the extended Franco and Sadek Families.
* Judy & Louis Morris on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Rochel Rena, born to Michal & Yossi Marchette of Lakewood, NJ. The parents are Rebecca (Morris) & Yitzchak Lefkowitz of Ramat Bet Shemesh, Israel.
* Sheridan & Melvin Sassoon on the birth of a granddaughter, Kira Jacklyn, second child for Rachel & Josh Reznick of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents Dvora Sora & Howard Reznick of Baltimore. Mazal Tov also, to great-grandparents in England, Israel and Baltimore.
* Dalia & Hillel Weiss and family on the marriage of their grandson Harel, son of Zvi and Limor Weiss of Givat Shmuel, Israel, to Tafat Attia of Jerusalem.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
* Light Candles by 7:04, and not before Plag, 6:03
* Mincha: 5:50, 7:10, 6:10 (Sephardi)
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (7:22 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (6:03 PM).
* Shacharis: 6:30, 7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 10:35 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 4:30, 6:30, 6:30 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:01
* High Holiday Registration – The registration deadline has passed. Emails will be sent out soon with details for everyone who has reserved a seat. Very limited space is available at some times/locations. If you have any questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original registration form, please send an email to email@example.com with details.
* All other activities at YISE are cancelled, including Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and updated times, go to https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua,Wednesdays will meet at 7:45 PM this week.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org Zoom B.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom C.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom H.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:40 PM, Zoom G.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom D (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom C.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics, will not take place this week.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 8:15 PM
* For Women – will resume after Sukkos.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver. For more information, please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom J.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 784 431 8176
Zoom C: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
Zoom F: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom G: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
Zoom H: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom I: ID: 977 463 8680, password GWCK
Zoom J: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
YISE Youth Announcements
Holiday Story Time – Join YISE Youth for a three part story time, with holiday stories about the Chagim. September 17, September 24 and October 1 at 5:30 PM on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Elul and Tishrei: At the Intersection of Love and Fear – A Shiur for women by Rebbetzin Atara Rosenbaum, Sunday, September 13, 8:00 PM on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
Rosh Hashanah Mussaf: Just You & Hashem – a shiur by Rabbi Rosenbaum, will take place on Sunday, September 13, from 11:00 AM to noon on Zoom A. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Order your Lulavim & Esrogim and support YISE – Order online at www.yise.org/lulav Deadline: Wednesday, September 16. See flyer for details.
Rosh Hashana and Sukkot To-Go – A limited quantity of printed copies of the YU Rosh Hashana and Sukkot-To-Go is available. If you are interested, please contact Simi Franco at email@example.com or 301-346-8752.
Save the date! Pre-Rosh Hashana Kumzitz with Simcha Leiner on Zoom, Wednesday, September 16. Sponsorships are available, please contact the YISE office at firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. See flyer for details.
The Annual Teshuva Drasha – Rabbi Yissocher Frand – Thursday, September 24, 8:30 PM. See flyer for details.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Kemp Mill Communal Shofar Blowing – For those who will not be able to attend a minyan on Rosh Hashanah, Kemp Mill's shuls are organizing Shofar blowings at outdoor locations throughout the community on Sunday, September 20, the second day of Rosh Hashanah. A list of times and locations are attached, along with procedures for making this experience safe. Shofar blowing will also be arranged for those unable to leave their home; please contact Aron Trombka at email@example.com or 301-385-9348 by September 13. See flyer for details.
Inspiration in the New Year – AMIT Birah Chapter presents Rabbi Yitzchak Breitowitz, Zooming from Israel, Sunday, September 13, 10:00 AM. Go to: https://amitchildren.cmail19.com/t/j-l-allltg-mlriujiyh-y/ for more information.
Hear my voice see my tears YGW Girls Division invites Talmidos, alumnae and the women of the community to its Annual Selichos Shiurim for Women on Zoom. September 12, Mrs. Herzberg 9:15 – 10:00 PM, Mrs. Winter 10:05 – 10:50 PM, Meeting ID: 861 9560 7498, Passcode: ci351E September 26, Mrs. Rosenbaum 9:15 – 10:00 PM, Mrs. Teitelbaum 10:05 – 10:50 PM, Meeting ID: 813 9246 0378, Passcode: Wfz0ry For information contact Rabbi Katz, firstname.lastname@example.org
Pre-Rosh Hashana Symposium – Greater Washington Community Kollel invites men and women to a Virtual Pre-Rosh Hashana Symposium featuring words of insight and inspiration from Rabbis of our community. Tuesday, September 15, 8:15 PM, Zoom C.
Mikvah Update – The Wallerstein Mikvah will not be available this year for use by men prior to Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. Thank you to all those who helped support MES through our recent virtual event. If you were unable to participate, please consider donating to our important work. In addition to covering our normal operating expenses, we have additional costs to keep the Mikvah secure and clean during the Covid-19 outbreak. To donate, please visit. www.mikvahemunah.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, September 16, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Journey to Virtue: Self-Development through Jewish Study – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Discover the great wisdom of the Jewish tradition to help you reach your full potential, enhance your relationships, and live life with greater meaning! Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. The journey continues. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Yom Tov Appeal Sustains Community Safety Net – The Franco Foundation needs your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests by individuals and families in our community unable to make ends meet, and hurt by the COVID plague's impact on our local economy. The Foundation helps with life essentials, like rent, mortgage, utilities and food. Over the years, the Franco Foundation has helped hundreds of families and individuals facing financial crisis and continues to do so with the help and commitment from our community. Mail donations to Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or send through PayPal at firstname.lastname@example.org
Silver Spring Eruv Association Annual Appeal – SSEA is now an IRS 501(c)(3) organization. Donations made directly to SSEA will now be tax deductible to the maximum extent permitted by law. Details of the appeal are on www.yise.org/eruv Donations may be made using the Eruv PayPal button on that page or by mail to SSEA, 707 Lamberton Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20902.
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
Zichron Menachem Hair Drive – Covid-19 caused us to cancel our usual drive, but this did not deter our wonderful donors. They just cut their braids at home. Starting in July, one of my amazing hairdressers Susan Kwak, from Style Salon, cut hair once again. She told me that she would continue to offer free donation haircuts to anyone with 12 inches of hair or more. If you or anyone you know would like to donate hair, please call or text Nancy, at 301- 452-7080. Don't hesitate to leave a message. Susan works Sundays and Tuesdays. You can pick your time. Thank you and Tizku L'Mitzvot!
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE.
Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM; Monday through Friday 6:00 AM/6:45 AM/8:30 AM.
Mincha and/or Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 6:30 PM/6:35 PM (Sephardi Selichot)/7:05 PM/9:30 PM.
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:01 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:55 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:35 PM
September 18 – 20, 2020 – 1-2 Tishrei 5781
Light Candles: Friday by 6:52
Havdalah: Sunday 7:48
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 16 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager
Virtual High Holy Day Sponsorships
Help support YISE with Virtual High Holy Day Sponsorships:
* Virtual Rosh Hashanah/Yom Kippur Seats ($120)
* Virtual Appeal ($180) Please specify Kol Nidrei (general fund) or Yizkor (Youth programming)
* Virtual Kibud ($100)
Other donation amounts will be gratefully received. All ¡§Virtual High Holiday Sponsorships¡¨ above $100 will be acknowledged both in a display in Shul and via an official YISE communication. Details at:
All submissions are due by September 11. Deadline extended through Sunday, September 13. Please contact the office with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org Virtual Seat Sponsorships are separate from registering for physical seats, which can be reserved at https://www.yise.org/hhreg
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com – Sponsor name, Birthday or anniversary date, Name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Chumash Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Silver's Tuesday Evening Parsha Shiur
* Rabbi Silver's Daily Chizuk Dose on WhatsApp
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support. Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha and Halacha Shiur
* Yocheved and Rabbi Haim Arzouan to commemorate the Yahrzeit of their son, Gavriel Yehuda ben Harav Chaim, whose Yahrzeit is Yud Tet Elul.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray for a Refuah Sheleima for Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend the shiur.
* Chani and Jay Parness in memory of parents and grandparents and a Refuah Sheleima for Rabbi Hyatt.
* Anne and Scott Schlesinger in honor of a Refuah Sheleima for Rabbi William Millen.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Parsha Drasha
* Sheridan and Melvin Sassoon in honor of their new granddaughter, Kira Jacklyn, sister of Sophia and daughter of Rachel and Josh Reznick.
* Debby and Rabbi Barry Greengart to commemorate the Yahrzeit, on the 22nd of Elul, of Joe Lichtenstein, Yosef Yaakov ben Mordechai, Z¡¨L, cousin and family benefactor to Debby Greengart and Shaine Spolter.