Included in the PDF are the Likutei Torah, Hamaayan, Israel Report and Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shofar Shorts
September 3-4, 2021 – 27 Elul 5781 – Nitzavim – Light Candles by 7:17 – Havdalah 8:14
September 6-8, 2021 – 1-2 Tishrei 5782 – Rosh Hashanah – Light Candles by 7:12 – Havdalah 8:08
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Simi Franco in gratitude to Sylvia Dorfman & Esther Edeson for their help assembling the Kiddushes in a Bag, and by Goldie and her mom, Sheila Manevitz, with deep gratitude, in honor of Dr. Marc Katz for always being there!
* Esther & David Hornestay on the birth of a greatgranddaughter, Noa, to Shira & Barak Klammer of Ramat Beit Shemesh, Israel, and also to the grandparents, Shari & Rabbi Stuart Klammer of Ramat Beit Shemesh.
* Lois & Sid Meyers on the engagement of their grandson, Eliyahu (Eli) Meyers, son of Hadassa & Dr. Oren Meyers of Cleveland, to Yehudis Dick, daughter of Esther & Simcha Dick of Toronto.
* Eva & Nissy Moskowitz on the engagement of their granddaughter, Leora, daughter of Gabi & Aryeh Moskowitz of Teaneck, NJ to Stephen, son of Leslie & Barry Yoffie of St. Louis.
* Gloria & Arnie Sherman and Sharon & Aaron Weinberg on the birth of a granddaughter, Aviva Maayan, to their children, Dahlia & Yoni Weinberg of Sharon, MA, and Mazal Tov to the big sisters, Yardena, Merav, and Ayelet, and to all the aunts, uncles and cousins
* Rabbi Sanford H. Shudnow on the selection of 3 of his original artworks in the Montgomery Art Association 2021 Paint The Town Art Show, Labor Day Weekend at the Kensington, MD Town Hall/Armory.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. All Sephardi Minyanim take place in the Beit
* Light Candles by 7:17, and not before 6:14
* Mincha: 6:20 (B), 7:20 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:15 (B), 7:10 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:14
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups will take place this week from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM, indoors. Masks required indoors for age 3+. Age 18-35 months will be located in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 3-5 years will meet in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Michal Merkin, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Popsicles in the Park – Shabbos afternoon, September 4, 4:00 PM in Kemp Mill Park. See flyer for details.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15- minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resume Thursday, September 9.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15- minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:30 PM, Zoom A. Note new time. This Shiur will resume Sunday, September 19.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A, will resume Friday, September 17.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A, will resume October 6.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A, will resume October 6.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Hillel Shaps – Unraveling the Navi: Melachim Aleph
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps,firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361. .
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person (Social Hall) and on Zoom F, will resume September 13.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D, will resume October 6.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H, will resume October 7.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 8:30 PM, Zoom D, will resume after Sukkos.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys, will resume after Sukkos.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 8:45 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, now taking place in person in the Social Hall. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com Registration required at gwckollel.org/scp will resume September 14.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Monday – Parasha, Tuesday – Halachos, 8:45 AM, Zoom B. Shiurim will resume Monday, September 13.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, learning concepts of Elul and Yamim Noraim, Zoom E, will resume on September 14. ¡§A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective¡¨, will resume October 5.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 7th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, Zoom G, will resume after Sukkos, time to be announced.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Rosh Hashanah Schedule
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. All Sephardi Minyanim take place in the Beit Medrash.
Monday September 6
* Light Candles 7:12 PM
* Mincha (Sephardi) 7:10 PM
* Mincha (B, S) 7:15 PM
Tuesday September 7
* Shacharis (B, S) 7:30 AM
* Sephardi 7:45 AM
* Shofar – Ashkenazi 10:00 AM
* Mincha (B, S), followed by Tashlich 6:30 PM
* Mincha (Sephardi), followed by Tashlich and Maariv 6:40 PM
* Maariv (B, S) 8:00 PM
* Light Candles/Kiddush after 8:10 PM
Wednesday September 8
* Shacharis (B, S) 7:30 AM
* Sephardi 7:45 AM
* Shofar – Ashkenazi 10:00 AM
* Mincha (B, S, Sephardi) 7:05 PM
* Maariv/Yom Tov ends 8:08 PM
Shofar will be blown again on Tuesday & Wednesday in the Belonofsky Sanctuary at 4:45 PM.
Rosh Hashanah Drasha Sponsors
* Belonofsky Sanctuary sponsored by Simi & Sammy Franco in gratitude to Rafi Katz and Judah Lifschitz for their inspiring and beautiful Shacharis and Musaf Davening.
* Social Hall sponsored anonymously as a Zechus for a Refuah Sheleimah for Ephraim Avraham ben Rachel.
Tzom Gedaliah – Thursday, September 9
* Fast Begins 5:23 AM
* Early Mincha (B) 1:45 PM
* Mincha (B, Sephardi) 6:50 PM
* Maariv (B) 7:40 PM
Kemp Mill Outdoor Shofar Blowing 5782
The shofar will be sounded at the following outdoor locations of each day of Rosh Hashanah, Tuesday, September 7 and Wednesday, September 8:
Chabad of Silver Spring, 519 Lamberton Drive 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, 4:00, 5:00
Kemp Mill Synagogue, 11910 Kemp Mill Road 6:30
Yeshiva of Greater Washington, 1216 Arcola Avenue 4:00
Cosgrave Court 5:00
Spring Mill MCPS Building, corner of Kemp Mill Road and Fulham Street 5:30
North Belgrade Court 4:45
University Towers (grass field by pool, Warwick side) 5:00
* As endorsed by area Rabbis, 30 shofar blasts will be sounded.
* We will blow shofar in light rain but will cancel in case of dangerous weather (lightning, strong winds). Note that shofar blowing at the KMS and Chabad locations will be under cover.
* As these sessions could result in a number of people congregating in a relatively small area, mask wearing is encouraged.
We also are offering shofar blowing for those unable to leave their homes.
We will not enter homes but will blow shofar from a front or back lawn. If you or someone you know needs this service, please contact Aron Trombka at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-385-9348 by September 5.
* Masks are required for ALL people in the YISE Arcola building, whether vaccinated or unvaccinated, with the exception of children under the age of 3.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building. There are no in-person Kiddushes at this time.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Programs and Listings
Welcome new members voted in last week at the latest board meeting: Seth Cohen, Michelle & Yoni Goldstein, Elazar Ginsburg & Dr. Devora Moore, Baila & Adir Haim, Benjamin Kreitman, Maurissa & Chananyah Pinsky, Dr. Patricia & Dr. Eric Towler.
The Annual Teshuva Drasha – Rabbi Yissocher Frand – Monday, September 13, 8:30 PM. See flyer for details.
The Yizkor Guide will be available in Shul. If anyone would like a copy to use at home, please contact Simi at email@example.com
Understanding the 13 Attributes of Mercy – A 3-part series with Rabbi Postelnek, Videos available online at: https://wp.yise.org/understanding-the-13-attributes-of-mercy
Order Lulavim and Esrogim from YISE – Pickup will be on Sunday, September 19, 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM. Due to COVID-19 concerns, individual selection of Esrogim will not be possible. If you have questions about your order or if you are unable to pick up at the designated time, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call Josh Breitstein at 301-346-7838 as soon as possible to make arrangements.
Ask the Rabbi – Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring Halachos of Shabbos and holidays! This month's topic: Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Sukkos. Video available at https://wp.yise.org/ask-the-rabbi
Kiddush in a Bag! While we are not yet back to regular in-Shul Kiddushes, we are happy to now offer Kiddush in a Bag for the 8:45 and 9:15 Minyanim. To sponsor the Kiddush in a Bag, contact Simi Franco at email@example.com
Rabbi Koss's Jewish History Class will not take place in September. It will resume again in October. Shana Tova!
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* Yale Ginsburg in memory of Rebbetzin Myrna Klavan, Z¡¨L.
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Judy & David Marwick in memory of Avi West, Z¡¨L, on the occasion of his Shloshim.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Shabbos Drasha
* Judy Morris in honor of her husband Louis's birthday.
Community Programs & Listings
Condolences to Audrey Haar Siesser on the passing of her mother, Ethel Haar. The funeral took place on Thursday. Audrey may reached during Shiva at 443-257-8878 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tefilah Mehalev – Those who would like to get into the High Holiday spirit are encouraged to listen to the beautiful tracks kindly recorded last year by Judd Lifschitz on his Tefilah Mehalev website www.yomtovnusach.com
Pre-Rosh Hashana Virtual Symposium -The Greater Washington Community Kollel invites men and women for an evening of inspiration, Sunday, September 5, 8:15 PM on Zoom F, featuring words of insight and inspiration from some of the Rabbis of our community, Rabbi Meir Bulman, Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum, Rabbi Yosef Singer, Rabbi Moshe Walter, & Rabbi Menachem Winter.
The Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington (MES) is pleased to offer use of the Wallerstein Mikvah in Kemp Mill to men on Erev Rosh Hashanah and Erev Yom Kippur. One of several major changes from previous years is that there will be no showering at the Mikvah. It's important to check our website in advance for all the new rules and information: https://mikvahemunah.com/men/ Thanks to all those who volunteered.
The Golden Network – Pre-Rosh Hashanah Class: The Trick of Teshuva – Rabbi Chaim Goldstein. Sunday, September 5, 10:15 AM – 10:45 AM. Pre-Yom Kippur Class: The Key to a Meaningful Yom Kippur Mussaf – Mr. Alan Sussman. Sunday, September 12, 10:00 AM. All classes on Zoom B. For more information please call 301-732-1773, email@example.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Monday, September 13, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Capital Kosher Pantry Pre-Yom Tov Collection – Help us bring Simchas Yom Tov to our friends and neighbors! Please donate:
* Hygiene items; hand soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouthwash, floss, deodorant
* Yom Tov items: grape juice, honey, Shabbos candles, Havdalah candles, Yahrzeit candles
Drop-off locations: 1212 North Belgrade Road and Yad Yehuda, 1910 University Blvd. West. Financial donations at yadyehuda.org/donate
Yad Yehuda Yomim Noraim Appeal – Between Rosh Hashanah and Sukkot, Yad Yehuda plans, B'ezrat Hashem, to distribute over $85,000 to provide Shabbos and Yom Tov meals and Lulav and Etrog sets as needed to households across our community who are struggling financially. These Yom Tov expenses are above and beyond the ongoing financial assistance we provide our recipient households every single month. Please help us bring Simchat Yom Tov to your fellow community members by donating generously at yadyehuda.org
Rosh Hashanah/Yom Kippur/Franco Foundation Appeal – More of our community, hurt by COVID-19, rely on the Foundation to cover basic needs, such as rent, mortgage and utilities. Your entire donations go to support this safety net. Please send today to: The Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring, MD 20902, or through Paypal, at email@example.com Tax ID: 52-2172267
Lulav and Etrog sets – The Franco Foundation will be offering to our local community Lulav and Etrog sets to those who are struggling financially. Please contact Allan Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org Your information will remain confidential.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more information.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? Izun is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click ¡§Sign Up.¡¨
Kemp Mill Village is merging into the larger, well-established Silver Spring Village (SSV) as of September 1. All current members will have several additional months to try out the many services offered by Silver Spring Village. Non-members will also be able to experience a trial period to decide if they want to join. To learn more about SSV's varied offerings, visit https://silverspringvillage.org
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Monday, Sept. 6 – Labor Day
Tuesday, Sept. 7/Wednesday, Sept. 8 – Rosh Hashanah
Thursday, Sept. 9 – Tzom Gedaliah
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:25 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:53 AM, Latest Netz: 6:47 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:53 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:39 PM, Earliest Shkia: 7:22 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 8:13 PM
September 10 – 11, 2021 – 5 Tishrei 5782
Parshas Vayeilech/Shabbos Shuvah
Light Candles: 7:06
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Thursday, September 9 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Monday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM; Closed Tuesday/Wednesday;
Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM; Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager