Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Likutei Torah, Hamaayan and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 21 – 22, 2021 – 11 Sivan 5781 – Nasso, Light Candles by 8:01 – Havdalah 9:08
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Manasseh Katz and Seth Katz and their families on the Shloshim of Howard Katz, Henoch ben Zindel, Z"L, in thanks to Rabbi Rosenbaum, YISE and the entire community for Shiva meals, visits, cards, donations and expressions of sympathy and by the Franco Family in memory of Maurice Grazi, father of Shirlee Franco and David Sporn, brother of Karen Franco.
* Esther & David Hornestay on the birth of a greatgranddaughter, Ahava Sophia, to Ayelet & Benji Kaufman. Mazal Tov also to the grandparents Shari & Rabbi Stuart Klammer of Ramat Bet Shemesh.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner and Joan Pinchus on the graduation of their granddaughter, Rena Lerner Mozorosky, from Brooklyn Law School. Rena is the daughter of Alyson & Rabbi Daniel Lerner of Baltimore.
* Eileen Goldschmidt on the passing of her mother, Manya Weisman. The funeral and Shiva took place before Shavuos.
* Sharona Katz on the passing of her mother, Lorraine Vogel, Liba Devorah bas Aharon Shimon. The funeral took place on Thursday. Shiva information will be sent when available.
* Donna Lawrence on the passing of her father, Herbert Yudenfriend. The funeral and Shiva took place before Shavuos.
* David Lerner on the passing of his father, Herbert J. Lerner. The funeral took place on Friday. David is observing Shiva in New York through Thursday morning. Zoom visits Sunday through Wednesday from 12 Noon to 1:00 PM at https://ramaz.zoom.us/j/97165087300?pwd=ZExlZW5YcW55ZTVlWjUzL28raUxhUT09 or David may be reached during Shiva at 212-932-0953 or 917-251-5270.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
* Light Candles by 8:01
* Mincha: 6:30, 8:05, 8:00 (Sephardi)
If you Daven Kabbalas Shabbos prior to Shkia (8:19 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (6:49 PM).
* Shacharis: 7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 8:00 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 5:00, 8:00, 8:00 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv:9:08
YISE Youth Announcements
Camp Shomrai is back for another fun-filled summer with programming for children in preschool through ninth grade! Camp runs from July 5th through August 13th. For more info or to register online, visit our website at https://campshomrai.org See flyer for details.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:00 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM.
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, Zoom I.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom C (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom B.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM.
* For Women – Zoom D
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com Registration required at gwckollel.org/scp
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom H.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kiddushin on Wednesday evenings, 7:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom C: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom E: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom F: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom I: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
* Outdoor Minyan – This Shabbos, May 22, is the last planned outdoor Minyan.
* Minyan Changes – We are making changes to the Minyan schedule to accommodate as many members as possible. Watch your email for details about major changes coming soon to Minyanim based on changes in Montgomery County COVID-19 regulations.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Debbie Rogal and Jay Rogal in memory of Jay's mother and Debbie's grandmother, Belle Rogal, whose Yahrzeit is on Shabbos, 11 Sivan.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Drasha
* Lee & Craig Oppenheim on the Yahrzeit of Craig's father, Yaacov ben Hershal, on the 11th of Sivan and Lee's mother, Chana Razel bat Avraham Ha'levi, on the 16th of Sivan.
Beautifying Our Shul – Yom Tov Paroches
Thanks to a generous donation from the Hawk family, YISE now has a special Paroches, Bima cover and Torah cover for use on the Sholosh Regolim in the Belonofsky Sanctuary, first used this week for Shavuos.
YISE Programs and Listings
Annual Congregational Meeting – The meeting for election of YISE officers and trustees will take place on Tuesday, May 25 at 7:30 PM on Zoom A.
YISE Regular Board Meeting will take place on Tuesday, May 25, at 9:00 PM on Zoom. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Memorial Day Program: "I didn't know there were Jews in the military" – Monday, May 31, 11:00 AM -12:15 PM on Zoom A. You won't want to miss this program. Questions? Contact email@example.com for more information. See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, June 7, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming YISE Parenting Lecture: Picky Eaters YISE Youth Committee parenting lecture series presents "Picky Eaters Demystified! Addressing feeding difficulties in young children" with Rebecca Begtrup Broniatowski, D.O, M.P.H., Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist Children's National Medical Center. The lecture has been postponed. Updated details will be sent out when available.
Update: Being Social. In the past few months, YISE's Social Committee has organized a range of programs to bring us together virtually – Trivia Night, Painting, a Purim Shpiel… We have also expressed our thanks to the Holy Cross Hospital health workers and treated the Wheaton Rescue Squad to a special dinner. Want to help? Please contact email@example.com
Registration for Shomrai Preschool 2021-2022 is now open! We are excited to be offering a Torah-rich, child-centered program for children entering 2 year-old Nursery – 4 year-old Pre-K. School day runs from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Extended care options available from 7:30 AM -8:30 AM and 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM. Register early for maximum savings! Visit our website for tuition rates and online registration at https://preschool.yise.org/registration For more information about the program email Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Saw You At Sinai Free Memberships – SawYouAtSinai.com is sponsoring an unlimited number of free 2 month gold memberships during June and July 2021 to anyone who has not already tried this successful matchmaking initiative. To obtain the offer, sign up at SawYouAtSinai.com and enter the marketing code YISE on the initial member registration page. This offer has been generously sponsored by an anonymous donor in memory of the precious Neshamos who were lost in Meron.
Women's Institute of Torah Seminary & College – Earn college credits online this summer at WITS (formerly Maalot). Zoom open house June 9. Classes begin June 20. For more info. call 410-358-3144 or email email@example.com or go to www.wits.edu/summer21
Capital Kosher Pantry Summer Collection – Please donate non-perishable items. Specially needed: canned pineapple, graham cracker crusts, olives, olive oil, Wacky Mac, yeast. Always needed: paper napkins, paper towels, tissues & toilet paper. You can buy items at your local store & place them in a Capital Kosher Pantry donation bin at Shalom, Moti's and area Shuls, or buy online & ship directly to us! Go to: www.yadyehuda.org/kosher-pantry for more information.
Yad Yehuda Donation Policy Update – Many unsolicited items are being dropped off at Yad Yehuda's office. We incur costs to dispose of those items. Please do not drop off: clothing/shoes/coats, household and baby items, electronics, books, Judaica/sheimos. Donations of non-perishable food for the Capital Kosher Pantry are welcomed and appreciated.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, May 26, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? Izun is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Email us at email@example.com
What Happened at Sinai: An Exploration of the Sinai Revelation and the Ten Commandments – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE. Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM; Monday/Thursday 6:15 AM/6:45 AM/8:45 AM; Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday 6:15 AM/6:55 AM/8:45 AM; Mincha/Maariv: Sunday through Thursday: 8:10 PM.
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 4:11 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 4:47 AM, Latest Netz: 5:49 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:25 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:43 PM, Earliest Shkia: 8:21 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 9:14 PM
May 28 – 29, 2021 – 18 Sivan 5781
Light Candles: 8:07
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 26 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Monday/Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Closed Wednesday,
Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager