Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 21 – 22, 2020 – 27 Shevat 5780 – Parshas Mishpatim/Shekalim/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:33 – Havdalah 6:33
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Dalia Weiss and family to thank the community for their phone calls, donations and visits in memory of my beloved sister, Ahuva Stein, Z"L.
* Yehudit & Rabbi Moshe Arzouan on the marriage of their daughter, Miriam, to Eliyahu Afrah. Mazal Tov to Yocheved & Rabbi Haim Arzouan and to Ruth & Bill Konick on the marriage of their granddaughter, and to Marvin Konick on the marriage of his greatgranddaughter. Mazal Tov to all of the siblings. aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Melanie & Sandy Karlin on the birth of a grandson, son of Shayna & Raphael Karlin of Elizabeth, NJ, and brother of Tova Kayla. Mazal Tov to the great-grandparents, Dolores & Len Schwartz, and to all of the aunts, uncles and cousins, Sarah & Matthew and family and Dalya & Benjy.
* Lois & Sid Meyers on the engagement of their granddaughter, Shoshana Strauss, daughter of Jessica & Rabbi Yekusiel Strauss of South Fallsburg, NY, to Moshe Gleich, son of Rivka & Doniel Gleich of Monsey, NY.
* Judy & Louis Morris on the marriage of their grandson, Yoni Lefkowitz, son of Rebecca & Yitzchak Lefkowitz, to Tzipporah DiPoce of Ramat Bet Shemesh,
* Karen & Howie Schulman on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Elie Levy Kramer, son of Miriam Kramer & Rabbi Aaron Levy. Mazal Tov also to great-grandmother Florence Binstock Avigan, grandparents Suzy & Sol Levy, and to all of the all aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Rachelli & Craig Simon and the extended Simon and James families on Bayla's Bas Mitzvah.
* Bob Levi, on the passing of his father, Fred Levi. The funeral took place on Wednesday. Shiva is being observed through Tuesday morning at 520 Lamberton Drive. Shacharis: Sunday 8:00 AM, Monday 6:45 AM, Tuesday 6:35 AM; Mincha/Maariv: Sunday/Monday 5:35 PM. The family requests no visitors 12 Noon – 1:00 PM, 6:30 PM – 7:30 PM or after 9:30 PM.
* Vida Yazdi, on the passing of her father, Yahya Yazdi. The funeral took place on Sunday.
* Light Candles by 5:33
Ashkenazi: 5:35 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:35
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:30 Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:30
* Shabbos ends: 6:33
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi – in honor of the Arzouan family on the marriage of Miriam to Eliyahu Afrah.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Bayla's family in honor of her becoming a Bas Mitzvah.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study, will resume February 29.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:45 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Large Social Hall. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, in the Small Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah,
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis, will resume March 2.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Large Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for men and women, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, in the Social Hall at 7:50 PM.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for Groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the balcony. 1st- 4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
Purim Carnival – Sunday, March 8, 10:00 AM – 12 Noon at YISE. $5 per child. Family max. $25. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Shloshim for Dr. Fred Dziadek, Asher Zelig ben Moshe Meir HaLevi, Z"L, will be held on Sunday, February 23, at 3:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
Ralph Wigs – Major wig event, Monday, February 24, 6:00 PM – 10:00 PM in the YISE Large Social Hall. Huge selection of classic wigs, lace tops, lace fronts, band falls & hat falls.
Shomrai Play Baby and Me! – For children 3 and under and their grown-ups. For our last session this month, Adrienne Suson "Auntie A" of Rhythm ‘N' Ruach will be joining us! Wednesday, February 26, 12 Noon – 12:45 PM at Shomrai Preschool, 811 University Blvd. W. For more information and to RSVP please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Taharas Mishpacha Review – Rabbi Rosenbaum will give a Taharas Mishpacha review for married men on Wednesday, February 26, at 9:00 PM in the Large Bais Medrash.
Ruach Minyan – Friday night, February 28, at 5:45 PM sharp. There will be a special children's story program going on during part of the Davening. Bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information, contact email@example.com
Dor l'Dor – Come join Dor l'Dor: the Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment, Motzei Shabbos, February 29, 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! To sponsor this program, contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, March 2, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman for more information – 301-754-1517.
Chevra Kadisha Community Dinner – The Men's and Women's Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington invites the entire community to the Zayin Adar dinner on Monday, March 2, at YISE.The cost is $18.00 per person for the catered dinner. For more information and to make reservations, go to www.chevrakadishagw.org/zayin-adar.html
Purim in China! A family Purim Seudah for young professionals. Purim, Tuesday, March 10, 5:30 PM at the Holy Chow Party Room. RSVP at www.yise.org/purim See flyer for details.
Ashley Baker, Comedian – The YISE Social Committee and the 9:15 Minyan invite you come out and hear comedian Ashley Baker, Motzei Shabbos, March 14, 9:30 PM. See flyer for details.
Supporting Children who are Struggling in School – A panel discussion on how to navigate schools, special education, assessments, therapy, and other resources to help your child. Sunday, March 15, 7:15 PM – 9:15 PM at KMS. See flyer for details.
Infant & Child CPR Class – Sunday, March 22, 12 Noon at YISE. This is a full certification class, administered by a trainer from NOVA Cert, LLC. If there is enough interest from teenagers, there will be a concurrent babysitting preparation class, including CPR certification and special training for new babysitters. This class will be infant & child CPR only – no adult CPR will be taught. The (subsidized) cost for the class is $35 per person. Payment may be made by cash, credit card, check, or PayPal. Estimated time is between 3 and 3.5 hours (slightly longer for the babysitting preparation class). Please sign up in advance by emailing LCypess@gmail.com Please specify if you are interested in babysitting preparation.
Camp Shomrai 2020 is open for registration! Programs for campers entering 2- year-old Preschool through 9th grade. Camp Dates: Monday, June 29 -Thursday, August 13. Register online at https://campshomrai.campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at email@example.com
Shomrai Preschool 2020-2021 – Online registration is now open for children ages 2 to 5 years old with customizable extended care options from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM. Visit preschool.yise.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to schedule a tour. Ask about our special, deeply reduced tuition for incoming 2- year-olds!
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681- 4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Tzurba M'Rabanan – text-based Halacha Sefer learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group Oneg at 4:15 PM, class at 4:30 PM, at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road. Each class is independent – drop-ins welcome.
Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, February 22, 4:00 PM, at 1121 University Blvd. West Apt. 516.
Kollel Zichron Amram Semi-Annual Yom Iyun – Join our local community Rabbis and the Kollel for an unparalleled Torah experience! Torah & the Environment – The Halachos of Recycling and Conservation. Sunday, February 23, at the YGW Boys Campus. 8:00 AM – Davening 8:50 AM breakfast, 9:40 AM introduction, "The Torah's Philosophy of Conservation" – Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh Hayeshiva, 9:55 AM learning Seder, 11:50 AM – 12:30 PM, Shiur – Rabbi Eli Reingold – Rosh Kollel. To RSVP or for more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate 404-273-3392 or email@example.com
YGW Girls Division Annual Production for Women & Girls – "EXTRAordinary", Sunday, February 23, and Monday, February 24, at Berman, 13300 Arctic Avenue, Rockville, MD. Sunday Performance – Doors open 2:30 PM, show begins 3:00 PM. Monday Performance – Doors open 6:30 PM, show begins 7:00 PM. Pizza, drinks, and "nosh" will be available for sale during intermission. Advance ticket sales, ads for the Playbill, and Performance DVDs at www.yeshiva.edu Order NOW! For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-962-5111 ext. 1407.
The Capital of Basketball: A History of DC High School Hoops – Wednesday, February 26, 7:00 PM at the Wheaton Library. Join us for a fun evening of book talk, basketball history, celebration, conversation, and light refreshments. Sponsored by Kemp Mill Village and MCPL. The discussion will be led by author John McNamara's wife Andrea Chamblee, a Kemp Mill resident, and local author David Elfin, who teamed up to finalize the book. The KMV can provide rides to this event for Village members if needed. Contact us at email@example.com or 1- 833-KMV-20902 if you would like to schedule a pick up.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets at the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
14th Annual Rose & Bernard Singer Megillah Reading Program – Do you or someone you know need Megillah read because you cannot get to Shul, are ill, or other reason? Volunteers are also needed to Lein the Megilla. Don't wait until the last minute. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-1193.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, February 26, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info.
The Good Book is the annual Orthodox Jewish directory published by Dr. Bert & Rachelle Miller in Greater Washington since 1995. The book is sent free to all interested Orthodox-affiliated households. Interested households should email their new or updated listing information to firstname.lastname@example.org The Millers thank you in advance for your participation. The deadline is March 1.
The Golden Network Caregiver Support Group will meet on Sunday, March 1, from 10:15 AM – 11:15 AM at 927 Clintwood Dr. (note new location). This group is geared toward Jewish women whose spouses are living at home or are in a medical facility and are affected by a chronic physical illness or a cognitive condition. Please RSVP by February 27 to Barbara Trainin Blank at email@example.com or (301)-681-2964.
Purim Masquerade "Bowl-a-thon" – Join Sulam for Purim fun and help us make a difference in the lives of our students! Sunday, March 8, 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM at Bowlero College Park, 9021 Baltimore Ave., College Park, MD 20740. Sign up at www.sulam.org/bowlathon
Purim Shiur – The annual Purim Shiur on the occasion of the 19th Yahrzeit of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) will take place on Purim, Tuesday, March 10 at 10:30 AM in the YISE Small Beis Medrash*. The shiur ends by 11:00 AM. * Please note new location!
Join Nefesh B¡¦Nefesh and come hear from experts to learn what's involved in creating a realistic budget for Aliyah and living in Israel, managing your investments and understanding your taxation issues. Monday, March 16, 7:00 PM – 9:30 PM at DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore North – Pikesville. Aliyah Dollars & Sense experts: Ron Zalben, US & Israel CPA and Partner at Aboulafia, Avital, Shrensky & Co., Aaron Djanogly, Senior Wealth Manager at Pioneer Wealth Management, and Marc Rosenberg, Aliyah Advisor at Nefesh B'Nefesh. Please register in advance at: www.nbn.org.il/baltimore
Census Bureau Is Hiring – The Census Bureau is gearing up for the decennial census. Most positions will last several weeks. They feature competitive wages ($29.50 an hour in Montgomery County), weekly paychecks, flexible hours, and paid training. For more information and to apply, please go to: www.2020census.gov/jobs or call 1-855-JOB-2020.
Capital Kosher Pantry – As we break our fast on Leil Purim and begin the festive celebrations¡KLet¡¦s make sure our neighbors have breakfast supplies in their pantry. Yad Yehuda¡¦s Capital Kosher Pantry needs cereal & oatmeal. Please place your donations in Yad Yehuda¡¦s Capital Kosher Pantry boxes in many area shuls and schools, Shalom Kosher, Moti¡¦s Market or at Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd West. Or order online at yadyehuda.org/pantry to ship directly to the Pantry. Thank you!
The Clothing Exchange – We have a full showroom of children¡¦s, women¡¦s and men¡¦s clothing and coats, offered to the community free of charge. Run by dedicated volunteers, the Clothing Exchange is a place where everyone can feel comfortable shopping and donating new clothing. We¡¦re open every Sunday from 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM at the Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd. West, unless otherwise noted. We accept donations of new or like-new Shabbos or business casual clothing in current styles. We only stock items that are new or in pristine condition, as is befitting members of our community. We are not able to accept baby clothing, toys & stuffed animals, housewares, linens, undergarments or shoes.
* Amit is selling beautiful Purim Cards for $3 each or 10 for $25. To purchase cards, contact Esther Edeson at 30l-593-4465 x402 or 30l-593-1468.
* Yad Yehuda All proceeds will go directly to fulfill Yad Yehuda¡¦s mission of helping local, needy Jewish families. Cards are available for $2 each. To purchase your cards, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org or go to https://www.yadyehuda.org/purim-cards
* BCGW – Help Bikur Cholim support people facing medical challenges. Donate $35 and receive a pack of 10 cards. To order cards or learn more about BCGW go to www.bikurcholimgw.org call 202 331-4481 or email email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; firstname.lastname@example.org
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at the YGW at 8:00 PM. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up." Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy¡¦s Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday February 23 Monday February 24 Tuesday, Feb. 25 – Rosh Chodesh Wednesday, Feb. 26 – Rosh Chodesh Thursday February 27 Friday February 28
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 5:40 5:40 / 7:30 5:40 / 7:30 5:40 / 7:30 5:40 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:35 5:35 5:35 5:35 5:35
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:57 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:31 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:52 PM
February 28 – 29, 2020 – 4 Adar 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 5:41 – Havdalah: 6:41
* Light Candles by 5:41
Ashkenazi: 5:45 Ruach: 5:45 Sephardi: 5:40 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:40 Sephardi: 5:25 Nusach Sefard: 5:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:41
Monday February 24 Ralph Wigs Sale 6 PM – 10 PM, Large Social Hall
Tuesday, February 25 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 8:00 PM
Friday, February 28 Ruach Minyan, 5:45 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 29 Dor L'Dor, 8:00 PM
Tuesday, March 10 Purim in China! 5:30 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 26 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager