Parshas Mishpatim – February 17 – 18, 2023
Download the Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 17 – 18, 2023 – 27 Shevat 5783 – Parshas Mishpatim/Shekalim/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:29 – Havdalah 6:29
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Esther Edeson and the Edeson & Stern Families to commemorate the Yahrzeit of their dear friend, Mikhail Knizhnik.
* Rachel & Michael Harris on the birth of a granddaughter, Leah Temima, daughter of Ayala & Isaac Pearl. Mazal Tov to the big brothers, great-grandparents, aunts, uncle and all of the extended family.
* Judy & Sheldon Klein on the birth of a granddaughter, born February 14 to their children Adina & David Navon of Eilav, Israel. Mazal Tov as well to big brothers Asif, Shilo and Sinai, great-grandmother Libby, and all of the extended family.
* Marion Miller and the entire Miller/Parker family on the passing of her father, Ted Parker.
* Aviva Symes on the passing of her father, Arthur Symes. The funeral took place in London. Shiva is being observed in London through Sunday morning.
Minyan locations are B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash
* Light Candles by 5:29
* Mincha: 5:30 (B), 5:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:25 (B), 5:25 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends: 6:29
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Postelnek
Kiddush/Shalosh Seudos Sponsors:
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Lew Sosnowik in memory of his parents, Abraham & Sima Sosnowik, and his sister, Chana Sosnowik.
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by Tamar Keder & Eti Roitman Bardack in memory of their father, Noah Roitman, Z"L.
* The Sephardic Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Miri & Dror Shoshani in honor of the birth of their new baby daughter.
* People experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or other transmissible illnesses should not attend prayer, learning, social or other events at the Shul.
* If you have tested positive for COVID-19, please follow CDC guidelines before returning to Shul.
YISE Gala Banquet
RSVP Now for the 2023 YISE Gala Banquet
Sunday, February 26, 6:00 PM at YISE
Honoring Stuart & Judy Rosenthal, Josh & Sara Katz, and the 2023 high school graduating seniors who have served our congregation's youth.
RSVP at www.yise.org/banquet
See flyer for details.
YISE Youth Announcements
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan will NOT meet this Shabbos, February 18. The Teen Minyan will resume next Shabbos, February 25, in The House.
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, February 18, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shabbos Group for 5th and 6th Grade Girls will meet inside The House promptly at 10:00 AM.
Junior Congregation for boys in grades 4 – 6 with Jay Marcus. Meet in the Lower Lobby at 9:55 and walk to the Yeshiva at 10:00.
Bat Mitzvah Club for 6th grade girls. Pizza Melaveh Malka on Motzei Shabbos, February 18, 8:30 PM – 10:00 PM at The House. $10 per person. RSVP to email@example.com See flyer for details.
Presidents' Day Learning and Pizza at YISE! For Boys in Grades 7-12 at 11:00 AM on Monday, February 20, in the Social Hall. Come join friends, learn with Rabbi Hillel Shaps of the Greater Washington Community Kollel, and eat delicious pizza! See flyer for details.
Purimfest 2023 at YISE! Sunday March 5 at 1:00 PM. We will have a chesed project and a show by Mad Science, and delicious Hamentaschen will be served! See flyer for details.
Dor L'Dor – The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment! The next session will take place Motzei Shabbos, February 25, 8:00 PM in the Social Hall. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to sponsor. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura on the Parsha, now learning the Kedushas Levi. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Kedushas Levi's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos morning. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Postelnek.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Following the Hashkamah Minyan, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
The Unveiling for Rabbi David Hyatt will take place on Sunday, February 26, at 11:00 AM at Rosedale Cemetery, 6300 Hamilton Avenue, Rosedale, MD 21237.
Practical Prayer for a Busy Life: A two-part series for women given by Rabbi Postelnek. Part 2, Tuesday night, February 28, at 8:15 PM, at the home of Blima & Alex Maged, 812 Kersey Road. See flyer for details.
Seeing the Bigger Picture: A pre-Purim Melava Malka & Shiur for men with Rabbi Postelnek. Motzai Shabbos, March 4, 8:45 PM, at the home of Rami & Arly Mandelbaum, 1008 Kersey Road. See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee. Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, March 6, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Coat Room Cleanup – If you left anything in the coat room (coats, Seforim, Taleisim, etc.), please claim the item by the end of February 2023. All remaining items will be donated or disposed of.
Seeing the Hand of Hashem in Modern History – Rabbi Rosenbaum will speak on Sunday, March 5, at 8:00 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. Presented by the Meaningful Tefilah Project. Co-sponsored by KMS. Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/hand-of-hashem See flyer for details.
Chevra Kadisha Community Dinner – The Men's and Women's Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington invites the entire community to the Zayin Adar dinner on Monday, February 27, recognizing the work of the Chevra. Cost is $18 per person for the catered dinner. For more information and to make reservations, go to: https://www.chevrakadishagw.org/zayin-adar
Monthly Shalosh Seudos – To sponsor, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, ext. 103, or firstname.lastname@example.org Volunteers are needed to set up and clean up. Contact Ethan Cohen at email@example.com to be part of the rotation. See flyer for details.
Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. For questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For other questions, contact Seth Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, provides assistance to families undergoing medical crises. For information, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at https://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur and in memory of parents, Avraham Ben Tzvi HaLevi & Ada Bas Menachem Aryeh, Z"L, and Rabbi Hillel & Mrs. Myrna Klavan, Z"L.
* Margie & Michael Hourwitz in honor of Rabbi Grauman and his Talmidim, in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, ZT"L, in memory of Noach Roitman, Z"L, in memory of Katie Rogoff, Z"L, and in memory of Meir Rudner, Z"L.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Judy & Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum in memory of Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum's father, Rabbi Irving Rosenbaum, HaRav Tzvi Yosef Ben Dovid, ZT"L, whose Yahrzeit was on 19 Shevat.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
YISE continues to offer a number of different in-person and virtual learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15- minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15- minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM. Shiurim:
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys – Zoom D.
* SCP (Semichas Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM at YISE. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Register online at https://thegreaterwashingtoncommunitykollel.com/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:22 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Levy at 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 8:45 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", in-person in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom G.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Metzia, Daf 3a. Wednesday evenings at 8:00 PM on Zoom H.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 or 929-205-6099 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, passcode Winter (phone 667362)
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 849 3898 4989, passcode 161699
Purim – YISE and Beyond
Purim Night at YISE – Monday, March 6, Maariv/Megilla at 6:35 PM will be followed by a Break-Fast Dinner (dairy) and Purim Mesiba in the Social Hall. DJ, crafts, drinks, photo booth and more! To sponsor, go to www.yise.org/purimsponsor or email firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Yad Yehuda Matanot L'Evyonim – Donate now, distribution on Purim to those in need across Greater Washington. To donate, please visit www.yadyehuda.org/matonot-levyonim Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization. Tizku L'mitzvot!
Annual Purim Shiur on the occasion of the 22nd Yahrzeit of Jane Axelrod, Raizel Bas Simcha, will take place on Purim, Tuesday, March 7, promptly at 10:30 AM on Zoom, Meeting ID 684 6828 415, Password: 613613 The shiur ends by 11:00 AM.
Amit Purim Cards – Amit is selling beautiful Purim cards at $3 each. Please call Esther Edeson at 301-593-1468 or 301-593-4465 Ext. 101.
Rose & Bernard Singer Megilla Reading Program – If you can read the Megilla for others or if you need someone to read for you, contact Saul Singer at email@example.com or 301-593-1193 as soon as possible. Please do not wait for the last minute!
Community Programs & Listings
Kidney Donation Needed – Mr. Gerry Segelman, father of Micah Segelman, is in need of a kidney transplant. If you would consider being a kidney donor, please contact Rabbi Chaim Steinmetz at Renewal for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 718-431-9831 ext 209.
The Real Kosher Cheeseburger? Exploring the Halachos of Lab-Grown Meat Federal Holiday Learning Program with Kollel Zichron Amram, Monday, February 20, 9:30 AM, with Rabbi Moshe Holzer. In person at YGW Boys' campus and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 892 627 552, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at email@example.com or 240-858-2041.
The Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington is comprised of volunteers from all the Orthodox communities in the area. In a typical year, we perform more than 400. Our volunteer roster has been depleted due to age, Aliyah, and at-risk health situations. Volunteers are needed so that we can continue to provide Taharot to the Jewish community. To join the Men's Chevra, call Dean Grayson at (301) 908-2645. To join the Women's Chevra, call Devorah Grayson at (202) 438-7060. You may also visit our website at: www.chevrakadishagw.org and select "Join the Chevra Kadisha"
TGN Lunch and Learn – Wednesday, February 22, 12:00 Noon – 1:00 PM at YISE. For more information or to RSVP by February 15, contact Rabbi Shmuel Leigh: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Israeli Folk Dancing for Women – Wednesday at KMS. Beginners – 7:45 PM – 8:45 PM, Advanced Beginners/Intermediate – 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM. Fee: $5. For more information, contact email@example.com
Rays of Wisdom – Life Lessons From Pirkei Avos – Greater Washington Community Kollel invites women of the community to a weekday morning text-based Chaburah led by Mrs. Channah Cohen. Mondays at 9:30 AM in Kemp Mill. To be added to a list for information and weekly location, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-219-5397.
Please help our community complete these Siyumim:
* Mishnayos for the 1st Yahrzeit of Noah Roitman, Noach Ben Shalom Yaakov, January 4, 23 Tevet -https://www.lzechernishmas.com/signup.php?id=11081
* Mishnayos for the 1st Yahrzeit of Natalie Gabai, Nechama Naomi Bat Leib, December 21, 9 Tevet – https://www.lzechernishmas.com/signup.php?id=11044
* Mishnayos for the 1st Yahrzeit of Jerry Snyder, Yehoshua Ben Binyamin, December 21, 9 Tevet – https://hadranalach.com/2612
* Tanach for the 1st Yahrzeit of Marion Baras, Miriam Bas Menachem, January 1, 20 Tevet – http://hadranalach.com/2626
Kemp Mill Toastmasters Speech Contest – Wednesday, February 22, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM, in the YISE Small Social Hall. Winner will compete in the next level of the Toastmasters International Speech Contest. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more information.
Alshich on the Parsha with Rabbi Levy – Shabbat afternoon between Mincha and Maariv in the Franco Beit Midrash.
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
In G-d We Trust – Exploring the relationship and balance between Relying on G-d/Bitachon & Human Endeavor/Hishtadlus, based on the teachings of 11th century scholar, Rabbeinu Bachya's Treatise on Trust – Shaar Habitachon. Wednesdays, 12:15 PM – 1:00 PM on Zoom, Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. To register, visit https://linksgw.org/classes
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, currently learning Bava Metzia. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner), about 2.5 Daf covered each week.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person, 7:30 AM in the YISE Social Hall.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Monday, Feb. 20 – Washington's Birthday
Tuesday, Feb. 21 – Rosh Chodesh
Wednesday, Feb. 22 – Rosh Chodesh
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:35 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:02 AM, Latest Netz: 6:55 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:34 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM, Earliest Shkia: 5:49 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 6:37 PM
February 24 – 25, 2023 – 4 Adar 5783
* Light Candles by 5:37
* Mincha: 5:40 (B), 5:35 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:35 (B), 5:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 6:37
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 22, at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Closed Monday
Tuesday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager