Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Likutei Torah, Hamaayan and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 12 – 13, 2021 – 1 Adar 5781 – Parshas Mishpatim/Rosh Chodesh/Shekalim
Light Candles by 5:24 – Havdalah 6:25
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Lisa & Eli Landy in memory of Eli's mother, Russa Feiga bat Akiva, whose Yahrzeit was the 29th of Shevat,
Mrs. Elaine Millen & family in gratitude to the entire community that sent in donations, cards, meals, and condolences in memory of Rabbi William Millen, ZT"L
and Lucy & Bernie Blitzstein in loving memory of Lucy's father, Victor Benisti, Chaim ben Shlomo, Z"L, to commemorate his tenth Yahrzeit on Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh Adar.
* Nancy & Bruce James on Bruce's retirement after 35 years of Federal Service.
* Valerie & Dan Kugler on the upcoming wedding of their daughter, Tara, to Shai Kornblau of Lakewood, NJ. Mazal Tov to Mr. & Mrs. Yitzchok Kornblau. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Shonny Kugler, Harvey Kornblau and Miriam & Kolonymos Rafael Ehrenreich. Mazal Tov to the many siblings, aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Lisa & Eli Landy on the engagement of their daughter, Leora, to Josh Finkelstein of Fairlawn, NJ. Mazal Tov to Josh's parents Stacey & Yitz Finkelstein.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
* Light Candles by 5:24
* Mincha: 5:30, 5:25 (Sephardi)
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (5:42 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (4:35 PM).
* Shacharis: 6:55, 9:00, 9:30, 8:30 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 4:30, 4:45 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 6:25
* Registration for Parshas Zachor, Taanis Esther Davening and Purim Davening and Megillah Readings – Register online at www.yise.org/survey PLEASE REGISTER BY SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 14, in order to allow for Proper Purim Planning.
* Outdoor Minyan – If you are interested in a Shabbos morning outdoor Minyan without a tent, subject to weather conditions, please email Ari Elias-Bachrach at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original registration form, please send an email to email@example.com with details.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and updated times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement),Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays,6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying SeferYehoshua, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings at 7:30 PM, Zoom I.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom C (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom B.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM
* For Women – Zoom D:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look-Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom H.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
Zoom C: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom E: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom F: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom I: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
YISE Youth Announcements
Dor L'Dor – Motzei Shabbos, February 20, 7:45 PM. Parsha, pizza, prizes and more – but this year virtual! Register by 10:00 AM, Friday, February 19, at www.yise.org/dorldor If you have any questions or would like to sponsor, please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Purim Puppet Show – Morah Debby & Friends present Tzidky the Tzedakah Man. Sunday, February 21, 4:30 PM on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
Drive-Thru Purim Costume Parade – Sunday, February 21, 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM on Lamberton Court. RSVP to email@example.com See flyer for details.
Camp Shomrai is back for another fun-filled summer with programming for children in preschool through ninth grade! Camp runs from July 5th through August 13th. For more info or to register online, visit our website at https://campshomrai.org See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Registration for Shomrai Preschool 2021-2022 is now open! We are excited to be offering a Torah-rich, child-centered program for children entering 2 year-old Nursery – 4 year-old Pre-K. School day runs from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Extended care options available from 7:30 AM -8:30 AM and 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM. Register early for maximum savings! Visit our website for tuition rates and online registration at https://preschool.yise.org/registration For more information about the program email Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Ask The Rabbi! Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring Halachos of Shabbos and holidays! This month's topic: Purim. How does COVID-19 impact Purim Mitzvos? What should we do about Shalach Manos? When do we eat our Seudah since Purim is on a Friday? Tuesday, February 16, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM on Zoom A. The first 45 minutes are for Shailos submitted in advance and the last 15 minutes are for Q & A. Send in your questions related to Purim to: AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, February 14. For more information or to submit questions by phone, contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 or email@example.com To sponsor the Shiur, contact firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
YISE Board of Directors meeting – The next regular meeting will take place on Wednesday, February 17, at 8:00 PM, on Zoom. For more information, please contact email@example.com
Purim Shpiel – Sunday, February 21, 8:30 PM, on Zoom A. Contact Howie Schulman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-213-2429. See flyer for details.
Shatzer Matzah – Order Matzah at www.yise.org/matzah Regular, whole wheat, oat & spelt available. Order by March 1. See flyer for details.
Matanos La'evyonim may be brought to Shul Prim night for distribution on Purim. Checks to "YISE Charity Fund" or cash, in envelopes marked PURIM, may also be put through the mail slot at the home of Sahra & Yale Ginsburg at 11700 Fulham Street, from now through Purim night.
Amit Purim Cards – To order, contact the YISE office at 301-593-4465 x403 or email@example.com
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class – now on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, March 1, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
* Elaine & Jerry Taragin wish Sammy Franco a Happy Birthday and thank him for all of his help.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha and Halacha Shiur
* Nancy Karkowsky in memory of her father, Joseph Herskovitz, Z"L, Yosef ben Reb Shalom v'Chaya, whose Yarzheit is 29 Shevat.
* Bobbi & Jules Meisler in memory of Jules' mother, Anne Meisler, Chana bas Lazer Hakohen, and Jules' sister, Gladys Citrino, Golda Rivka bas Yitzhok.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray for a Refuah Sheleimah for Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend the Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men
* Ellen & Dr. Irving Haber to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Irv's mother, Chana Pesha bas Shlomo Kalman whose Yahrzeit is the 2nd of Adar.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Navi Shiur for Women
* Nancy Karkowsky in memory of her father, Joseph Herskovitz, Z"L, Yosef ben Reb Shalom v'Chaya, whose Yarzheit is 29 Shevat.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Drasha
* Anonymous in honor of YISE president Yale Ginsburg and all the hard work he does on behalf of YISE and all its members.
* Marsha & Yitz Kasdan in memory of Yitz's mother, Chaya Elka bas Yechiel Michel, A"H, whose Yahrzeit falls out on Beis Adar.
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars in gratitude to Judy & Dr. Manny Kanal for their long-standing and continued commitment & love of their dear family.
* Judy & Stuart Rosenthal to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Stuart's father, Leonard Rosenthal, Eliezer ben Shlomo, Z"L.
Community Programs & Listings
Bnei Akiva Rosh Application – Eleventh-graders are invited to apply to be a Bnei Akiva Rosh next year! Form is due March 1. Please fill out as soon as possible! https://forms.gle/SktT2eCyfQYxwE346
Vaccine Sign-up Support Project – Edlavitch JCC is matching GW students with seniors in Maryland, DC and VA to help with COVID-19 vaccine enrollment. Sign up at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSea3wSltndTqWX9V6p_kLKbIh5AuFYWRPCGlyarv3LcsYReZA/viewform
The Yad Yehuda Clothing Exchange will be open to all members of the community this Sunday, February 14, 10:00 AM – 12 Noon. We have a lot of coats for all sizes! This is your opportunity to shop, at no cost, for beautiful, modest clothing in our well-equipped showroom. Shoppers must be in good health, not have been in contact with someone who tested positive for Covid, wear masks and maintain social distancing. Please schedule an appointment at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fhBnGaaLIgwaEUT4rDFUwdVKGz1_U9CeOYD-f_A10iY/edit For questions or to schedule an appointment on another day: email@example.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, February 17, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
The Stories We Don't Tell: Pregnancy, Loss, High Risk & Other Experiences of Our Reproductive Lives – with Dr. Chavi Karkowsky and Yoetzet Halacha Bracha Rutner. Presented by KMS on Wednesday, February 17, 8:30 PM on Zoom. Meeting ID: 838 4169 7174, Passcode: 840286.
TGN Program: The Mishkon of Moshe and the Taiva of Noach- Presented by Rabbi Chaim Goldstein. Moshe and Noach are more similar than you may have thought! This Shiur will explore Gemoras and Midrashim which reveal beautiful insights into the parallel purposes and significance of the Taiva and Mishkan, as well as the Mishkan's successor, the Bais HaMikdash. Thursday, February 18, 10:15 AM – 11:15 AM on Zoom E. For more information, call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com
Outdoor Community Megillah Readings are planned on Purim: Thursday evening, February 25 and Friday, February 26. If you are an experienced Leiner, please contact Saul Singer at Saul.Singer@verizon.net and let him know when you are available.
20th Annual Purim Yahrzeit shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) – Friday, February 26, log on at 9:50 AM for Shiur at 10:00 AM SHARP! (The shiur will end no later than 10:20.) Zoom Meeting ID: 684 682 8415, Passcode: 613613, direct link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6846828415
Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington Matanot L'Evyonim – Donations are being collected between now and Purim. 100% of the money collected will be distributed as Matanot L'Evyonim to local individuals and families in serious financial distress in the Greater Washington area. To donate, please visit https://yadyehuda.org/matonot-levyonim Yad Yehuda is a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization. Tizku L'mitzvot and a Freilichen Purim!
Penetrating Thoughts and Practical Perspectives – Thoughts on life, Torah and Middos. Based on Michtav M'Eliyahu, from Rav Eliyahu Dessler, Z"L. Mondays, 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Zoom – Meeting ID: 736 4190 7086, Passcode: torah. Presented by YGW Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
What Happened at Sinai: An Exploration of the Sinai Revelation and the Ten Commandments – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Monday, February 15 – Presidents' Day
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE.
Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM; Monday through Friday 6:15 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 5:35 PM.
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:40 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:07 AM, Latest Netz: 7:01 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:37 AM,
Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM, Earliest Shkia: 5:44 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 6:32 PM
February 19 – 20, 2021 – 8 Adar 5781
Light Candles: 5:32
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 17 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager