Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 3 – 4, 2021 – 30 Kislev 5782 – Mikeitz/Chanukah/Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 4:27 – Havdalah 5:30
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Ezra Friedman in honor of Dr. Paul Berner, who when performing a Mitzvah, enables the performance by others and by Miriam & Steve Friedman – with Hakarat Hatov to Rabbi Koss for always working so hard to make the Jewish History class such a success, and in recognition of YISE and Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington for their sponsorship. Special thank you to Mrs. Koss, Ruthie Konick, and Mr. Marvin Konick for all of their dedication and assistance behind the scenes.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Miriam Devorah, to Chana & Menachem Guttman of Queens, NY. Mazal Tov to grandparents R' Simmy and Miriam, ZT"L, Guttman of Milwaukee.
* Diana & Leonard Ruchelman on the marriage of their granddaughter, Ilana Ruchelman, to Akiva Mace. Mazal Tov also to the parents, Cindy & Charles Ruchelman and Dana & Barry Mace.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash.
* Light Candles by 4:27
* Mincha: 3:30 (B), 4:25 (B), 4:25 (SH), 4:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
There will be a special Ruach Minyan in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. There will also be a regular Minyan in the Social Hall.
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen Minyan, SBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:25 (B), 4:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:30
Begin to say Vesain Tal Umatar Livracha at Maariv.
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Minyan Kiddush in a Bag is sponsored by the Jeff Weinstein Family in memory of Debbie's mother, Lillie S. Levine, Leah Bas Dovid, Z"L, on her birthday and by Faith, Raph, Sahra and Yale Ginsburg, and Yosef and Elisheva Kalinsky for the Yahrzeit of Ann Rita Schwartz and for Shabbos Chanukah.
* The 9:15 Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the members of the YP community. Thank you to the Kohrs, Hendrys, Goldscheins, Neufelds, Fields, Merkins, Honicks, Neumanns, Stolers, Goodmans, Ariella Gordon, and to Josh Katz for generously allowing the use of outside Ben Yehuda for the Kiddush space.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, December 4, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends, indoors. Masks required indoors for age 2+. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more info., contact Michal Merkin, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at email@example.com
Dor L'Dor – The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment! Next session will take place Motzei Shabbos, December 4, 7:15 PM in the Social Hall. This Dor L'Dor is sponsored by the Israel family in memory of Zayde Neil Israel, who used to love learning with his grandchildren at every Dor L'Dor when it first started. See flyer for details.
Chanukah Extravaganza – Sunday, December 5, 10:30 AM in the Social Hall. Fun for the whole family! Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. See flyer for details.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:30 PM, Zoom A, will not meet on Wednesday, December 8.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A, will resume on Wednesday, December 15.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Hillel Shaps – Unraveling the Navi: Melachim Aleph
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person (Social Hall) and on Zoom F.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys, is on break until further notice.
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Sefer Bereishis, is on break until further notice.
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. A new semester began on October 19. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoushua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Monday – Parasha, Tuesday – Halachos, 8:45 AM, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 7th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
* The YISE Board has mandated that everyone 16 and older who is medically eligible for an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to enter the Shul building.
* Masks are required for ALL people in the YISE Arcola building, whether vaccinated or unvaccinated, except for children under the age of 2.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building. There are no in-person Kiddushes at this time.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Programs and Listings
Chanukah Ruach Minyan! – There will be a Ruach Minyan in honor of Chanukah in the Belonofsky Sanctuary on Friday night, December 3, the 6th night of Chanukah, led by Judah Lifschitz. (A standard Minyan will be held downstairs in the Social Hall for those who would prefer it.) Please join us!
To Kindle a Soul – Panel discussion about inspiration and growth with some of our community's most effective mentors! Recording available at https://wp.yise.org/to-kindle-a-soul
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History Class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, December 6, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Save the Date for the Next Ruach Minyan – Friday, December 17. Mincha at 4:30 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary followed by Kabbalos Shabbos in the Social Hall. IY"H, our Baal Tefila will be Meir Kreitman! While there is no formal children's program, all Daveners are warmly welcomed. So bring your family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information, contact Adam Bashein at email@example.com.
Ashley Blaker – Let's have fun with Off-Broadway Comedian Ashley Blaker. Sunday, December 19, 8:30 PM. In-person at YISE. Sign up at www.yise.org/comedian See flyer for details.
Ask the Rabbi: Lashon Hara – Tuesday, December 21, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM on Zoom A. Watch your email for details.
Kiddush in a Bag! While we are not yet back to regular in-Shul Kiddushes, we are happy to now offer Kiddush in a Bag for the 8:45 Minyan. To sponsor the Kiddush in a Bag, contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteers Are Needed Weekly to help assemble Kiddush in a Bag. If you can help please contact Simi Franco at email@example.com or 301-593- 4465 x403.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to the Shiurim sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* Margie & Michael Hourwitz in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt, in gratitude to Rabbi Grauman and in honor of all the Talmidim in the Shiur.
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Community Programs & Listings
Lessons From the Lights: Takeaways for the Last Night of Chanukah – Greater Washington Community Kollel presents a special Chanukah presentation for women by Mrs. Sara Malka Winter, Sunday, December 5, 8:15 PM on Zoom. Meeting ID: 601 853 4021, online Passcode Winter, phone Passcode 667362.
Women's Online Shiur with Rabbi Yehoshua Levy- Free 1-hour shiur on Zoom on the first and third Sundays of each month at 7:15 PM. Topic: Eishet Hayil, with principles from Mesilat Yesharim and weekly Sidra. In English. All levels of ability are welcome. You needn't attend every shiur but RSVPs are requested. Contact Shiur Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, December 8, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Learning Tanach in Memory of Avi West, Z"L – Please join a Siyum Tanach for our friend and mentor, to be completed by his Yahrzeit, August 22, 2022, 25 Av, 5782. Learning from Chumash has been subscribed. There are a number of sections remaining in Neviim and Kesuvim. Sign up for as many as you wish and please share this info. with others who may be interested in joining this learning. Sign up at http://hadranalach.com/2090
Bring Some Warmth to the Capital Kosher Food Pantry – Please contribute warm soups, beverages and more to the Pantry's Winter Food Drive. You can drop off your donation in one of our local bins (located at YISE, KMS, Moti's & Shalom) or drop off/ship to the Pantry: Capital Kosher Pantry, 1910 University Boulevard West, Silver Spring, MD 20902. Suggested donations: boxed or canned soups, tea, hot cocoa, coffee, jarred gefilte fish, Shabbat & Yahrzeit candles, tea lights & olive oil.
Parsha Explorations with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Kemp Mill Synagogue, Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM at KMS and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. For men and women.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Birkat Hamazon with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
In Their Footsteps: Life Lessons From Our Patriarchs and Matriarchs – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom F. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Series began October 13. Register at https://linksgw.org/classes
Navigating the Dating Experience – The Shidduch Spot of Greater Washington presents a series of talks to enhance the dating journey, featuring Rachel Burnham, Shidduch Dating Coach for Marriage-Minded Singles. December 8 and January 5 on Zoom, Meeting ID: 776 143 4208, password 613613. Each session starts at 8:30 PM.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, December 5 – Rosh Chodesh, Chanukah
Monday, December 6 – Chanukah
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:51 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:20 AM, Latest Netz: 7:18 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:35 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:32 PM, Earliest Shkia: 4:45 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 5:30 PM
December 10 – 11, 2021 – 7 Teves 5782
* Light Candles by 4:27
* Mincha: 4:30 (B), 4:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:25 (B), 4:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:31
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 8 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager