Parshas Mikeitz/Rosh Chodesh/Chanukah – December 27-28, 2019
Download the December 27 – 28, 2019 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 27 – 28, 2019 – 23 Kislev 5780 – Parshas Mikeitz/Rosh Chodesh/Chanukah
Light Candles by 4:34 – Havdalah 5:38
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the Joseph family in gratitude to Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum for his visits and caring during Lou's illness as well as to the entire congregation for their Minyan participation, visits, meals, condolences, contributions and great warmth during this sad and difficult time. The love and respect for Lou and his life were greatly appreciated.
* Light Candles by 4:34
Ashkenazi: 3:00, 4:30 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:30 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:10
* Shabbos ends: 5:38
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Jonathan Bresler, Larry Korb, Arnie Sherman, Dr. Marc Katz, Michael Hourwitz, and Chaim Neustadter in memory of their parents: the 7th Yahrtzeit of Harvey Bresler, Chaim ben Yitzchak; the 8th Yahrtzeit of Minnie Korb, Minah Shifrah bas Yisrael; the 9th Yahrtzeit of Racie Sherman, Rivka bas Yosef Yona; Gerrie Katz, Chana Pesel bas Dovid; and
Albert Hourwitz, Avraham Mordechai ben Yitzchak HaLevi; the 26th Yahrtzeit of Goldie Neustadter, Sara Golda bas Harav Chaim Eliezer Alter; and the 34th Yahrzeit of Lawrence Katz, Leib ben Avigdor HaCohen; Dr. Howie & Karen Schulman in memory of: the 36th Yahrtzeit of Howie's mother Florence Schulman, Faige bas Yeshaiyah Baer, the 18th Yahrtzeit of Sherrie Schulman, Sahra
Leah bas Avraham Dov, the 8th Yahrtzeit of Howie's mother-inlaw, Irene Amernick (Sherrie's mom), Tzipora Chaya bas Zorach and their nephew, Shmuel Shulman, in memory of the 32nd Yahrtzeit of his father, Amnuel Yaakov ben Yitzchak Mordchai.
* Sephardi – David Mordehai & Shlomi Benita in memory of Nisim ben Rachel, Eddie Nadiv ben Sarah Vardah Shoshana bat Masudah, Eliyahu ben Sarah & Luis Ben Naomi.
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – friends of Ariella Gordon in honor of all of her hard work for the 9:15 minyan, and to wish her Hatzlacha, Bracha and Besoros Tovos as she departs to learn in Eretz Yisrael.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:40 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume January 8.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony, will resume January 8.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, will resume January 5.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:45 PM, in the Small Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa, will resume January 8.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah,
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall, will resume January 7. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women – discussing themes of Chanukah. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, in the Social Hall at 7:50 PM, will resume January 8.
The End (of the Year) is Near
End of the calendar year statements have been emailed and mailed. If you have not received yours please contact the office, email@example.com or call Simi Franco 301-593-4465×403.
YISE Programs and Listings
Gaming and Gelt – Join YISE Young Professionals on the 8th night of Chanukah, Sunday, December 29, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PM in the Social Hall. Life-sized games, Soup and Latke Bars (Pareve) and Donuts (Dairy), Divrei Torah. Cost: $20 per person. For more information, contact Bari Goldschein firstname.lastname@example.org RSVP at wp.yise.org/gaming-and-gelt See flyer for details.
Judaica and Seforim Sale – Tuesday, December 31 (9:00 AM – 9:00 PM) and Wednesday, January 1 (9:00 AM – 9:00 PM), YISE Social Hall. Come fill in the gaps in your library and find great gifts as well. Bring your Shaimos for proper disposal for a nominal fee.
Dor l'Dor – Come join Dor l'Dor: the Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment, Motzei Shabbos, January 4, 7:15 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! To sponsor this program, contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, January 6, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517.
GWCK Shabbaton – Save the date! Parshas Beshalach, February 7 – 8 at YISE. An Inspirational Shabbos Connecting through Torah, Tefillah, and Song! See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for Groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – special for Chanukah with Morah Yvette Epstein, 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
Preschool Shabbos Lunch – RSVP now for our first ever Shomrai Preschool Shabbos lunch! January 11, 2020 in the YISE Social Hall. For current, former, and prospective preschool families and staff. Early Bird pricing deadline extended through the end of Chanukah! Go to www.yise.org/lunch or see flyer for details.
Community Programs & Listings
Tzurba M'Rabanan – text-based Halacha Sefer learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group will not take place this Shabbos, December 28. Each class is independent – drop-ins welcome.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – will not take place this Shabbos, December 28.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday nights, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road, will resume January 7.
Boys Baseball – Early Registration is now open! This spring Ko-ach Sports is back for another great season of Boys Spring Sunday Baseball for 1st – 5th grade. Sign up before January 1 to reserve your spot and save on registration fees! For more information, go to www.Ko-achSports.com
New Year's Day Learning & Pizza for Girls – GWCK invites girls in 4th – 6th grade to join Mrs. Sara Malka Winter for learning and pizza on Wednesday, January 1, 10:15 AM – 11:15 AM at Ben Yehuda Pizza. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org Generously sponsored by Ben Yehuda Pizza.
Celebration of the 13th Global Siyum Hashas – Wednesday, January 1, 1:00 PM – 3:30 PM at Woodside Synagogue, 9001 Georgia Avenue, Silver Spring. Livestreaming of the Siyum from MetLife Stadium, Chinese buffet lunch, and programming for adults and children. Free of charge. RSVP by December 18 online at www.surveymonkey.com/r/SiyumHaShas or contact Sara Silver at email@example.com or 301-908-0794. Questions? Contact Arnie Rosenthal at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-532-3317.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters Winter Open House – Wednesday, January 8, 7:45 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. Bring a friend! See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Light refreshments. Contact Ovadia Hayat at email@example.com for more information.
Mikvah Emunah Society Appeal – User fees alone do not cover the cost of running the beautiful Wallerstein Mikvah. We depend on you, to ensure that the Mikvah remains an integral component of Jewish life and of our local Jewish community. Please respond today by sending a check to Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington, P.O. Box 1714, Silver Spring, MD 20915. You can also pay online or set up a recurring monthly subscription payment at https://www.mikvahemunah.com/Membership
Franco Foundation end-of-year appeal – Since it was launched 22 years ago, the Franco Foundation has been helping, in communities across the Greater Washington region, hundreds of individuals and families in very tight circumstances, unemployed, facing eviction, or otherwise unable to make ends meet. Your entire donation goes to those in need. Send your donation to The Franco Foundation, 613 Bromley St. Silver Spring, MD 20902 or Paypal at firstname.lastname@example.org
Yeshiva of Greater Washington Tiferes Gedaliah 56th Annual Banquet – Honoring Rabbi Zev Katz, Kesser Torah Award, and Mr. Merrill Kramer, Community Leadership Award. January 12, 5:00 PM at The Hotel at the University of Maryland. For more information, contact Donna Goldman 240-494-1552 or email@example.com or go to www.ygwevents.com to RSVP and/or to place your Journal Ad. Check out our video trailer and make your reservations now!
Camp Chaverim – Registration is OPEN for Summer 2020! Only one week left for early bird discount! New referral discount program! Two Sessions: June 24 – July 19 and July 20 – August 13. Camp Divisions: Camper Division, Senior Division, Masmidim Division. For more information and to see our new Camp Video, visit our website at chaverimovernight.com Contact us at 410-925-2257 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Capital Kosher Pantry – A bowl of hot soup is comforting this time of year…but Capital Kosher Pantry patrons need the essentials to get there. Donations of soup in all forms (consomme, packets, mixes, cartons, cans) are most welcome, along with "extras" such as barley, lentils and crackers. Other foods are also very welcome. Please place your donations in Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry boxes in many area Shuls and schools, Shalom Kosher, Moti's Market or at the Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd West. Or, you can order online at yadyehuda.org/pantry and have items shipped directly to the Pantry. Thank you!
Yad Yehuda's Clothing Exchange will be CLOSED this Sunday, December 29. We will re-open on Sunday, January 5, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM.
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM. Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; email@example.com
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up." Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, Dec. 29 Monday December 30 Tuesday December 31 Wednesday, Jan. 1 New Year's Day Thursday January 2 Friday January 3
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:30 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 4:40 4:40 / 7:30 4:40 / 7:30 4:40 4:40 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:48 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:44 PM
January 3 – 4, 2020 – 7 Teves 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 4:39 – Havdalah: 5:43
* Light Candles by 4:39
Ashkenazi: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:35 Sephardi: 4:15 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:43
Sunday, December 29 Gaming and Gelt, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 4 Dor L'Dor, 7:15 PM
Tue./Wed. Dec. 31/Jan. 1 Seforim Sale, 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Shabbos, January 11 Family Luncheon, 1:00 PM
Shabbos, February 7 – 8 GWCK Shabbaton
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 1 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Office Hours: Monday/Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM, Closed Wednesday, New Year's Day
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager