Young Israel Shomrai Emunah -Shabbos Shorts
December 23 – 24, 2022 – 30 Kislev 5783 – Parshas Mikeitz/Chanukah/Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 4:32 – Havdalah 5:35
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Mel Farber to thank all of the people, particularly Scott Schlesinger, who offered to help with his perishable medication during the electrical outage on November 27.
* Fran & Alan Broder on their son, Rabbi Dr. Hillel, being appointed Head of School at Melvin J. Berman Hebrew Academy. Mazal Tov also to grandmother, Marilyn Broder, on her grandson's appointment.
* Sharon & Ivan Graff on the engagement of their son Shimon to Naama Berman of Petach Tikva.
* Mitra Khaldar and family on the marriage of daughter Rachel to Shimmy Trainer.
* Dina & Mark Livingston on the birth of a boy. Mazal Tov also to big sister Emuna Tova and big brother Avaraham Nahum. The Shalom Zachor and Bris are planned for 714 South Belgrade Road on Friday night at 7:30 PM, and Wednesday morning, respectively. Visitors should enter from the back of the house. Contact Mark for details.
* Lois & Sid Meyers on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Yehudis Gleich. Parents are Shoshana & Moshe Gleich of Monsey, NY. Grandparents are Jessica & Rabbi Yekusiel Strauss of Fallsburg, NY.
* Judy & Louis Morris on the birth of a great grandson in Ramat Beit Shemesh. (Grandparents are Rebecca (Morris) and Yitzchak Lefkowitz.)
* Judy & Louis Morris on the marriage of their grandson Aharon Morris (parents are Shelly & Michael Morris of Baltimore) to Esther Leah (parents are Yael & Rabbi Aaron Shlomo Lauer of Skokie).
* Caroline & Eric Namrow on the marriage of their son Zev to Kira Mazel, daughter of Sharon & Jay Mazel of Kemp Mill and Mazal Tov to the Namrow siblings, Shevi & Jacob, Dalya, Chani & Yossi and the Mazel siblings Daniella & Ben Dayanim, Arianne & Jeremy Kaye and Sophia Mazel.
* Judy & Stuart Rosenthal on the birth of a grandson to their children Samantha & Jeremy Rosenthal of Washington, DC.
* Anne & Scott Schlesinger on the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter, Elana Sandberg. Mazal Tov to Elana's parents, Sarah & Yitzie Sandberg, her siblings, Avigail and Tzvi Aryeh, her Aunt Chani & Uncle Stuey, Aunt Brittney & Uncle Joe and cousins from New York and her cousin Courtney from Delaware.
Minyan locations are B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Light Candles by 4:32
* Mincha: 3:00 (B), 4:30 (Ruach, B), 4:25 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:15 (B), 4:10 (Sephardi, LBM)
Everyone is invited to a Seudah Shlishit following Mincha, sponsored by Mitra Khaldar and family in honor of the marriage of daughter, Rachel, to Shimmy Trainer.
* Shabbos ends: 5:35
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Yonatan Gorin
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Binyamin Sanders
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Postelnek
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Sammy Franco, Jonathan Bresler, Larry Korb, Arnie Sherman, Dr. Marc Katz, Michael Hourwitz, Chaim Neustadter and Rick Greenberg in memory of their parents: the 3rd Yahrzeit of Nathan Franco, Nissim Ben Rachel; 10th Yahrzeit of Harvey Bresler, Chaim Ben Yitzchak; the 11th Yahrzeit of Minnie Korb, Minah Shifrah Bas Yisrael; the 12th Yahrzeit of Racie Sherman, Rivka Bas Yosef Yona; Gerrie Katz, Chana Pesel Bas Dovid; 12th Yahrzeit of Albert Hourwitz, Avraham Mordechai Ben Yitzchak HaLevi; the 29th Yahrzeit of Goldie Neustadter, Sara Golda Bas Harav Chaim Eliezer Alter; and the 8th Yahrzeit of Dr. Raymond Greenberg, Reuven Ben Shmuel; Dr. Howie & Karen Schulman in memory of: the 36th Yahrzeit of Howie's mother, Florence Schulman, Faige Bas Yeshaiyah Baer; the 18th Yahrzeit of Sherrie Schulman, Sahra Leah Bas Avraham Dov; and the 8th Yahrzeit of Howie's mother-in-law, Irene Amernick (Sherrie's mom), Tzipora Chaya Bas Zorach and Yale Ginsburg in memory of his aunt, Chana Rus Bas Naftali Herz.
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by Rami & Arly Mandelbaum in honor of the birth of their daughter, Thea (Adina Chaya).
* People experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or other transmissible illnesses should not attend prayer, learning, social or other events at the Shul.
* If you have tested positive for COVID-19, please follow CDC guidelines before returning to Shul.
YISE Youth Announcements
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan, led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, meets at 9:15 AM every Shabbos in The House next to the Shul. Kiddush is served after Davening.
Shabbos Groups for 18-36 months (Mommy & me), 2 – 5 years, 6 – 9 years, 5th – 6th grade girls will NOT take place this Shabbos, December 24, due to weather conditions.
Junior Congregation for boys in grades 4 – 6 will NOT take place this Shabbos, December 24, due to weather conditions.
Dor L'Dor – The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment! The next session will take place Motzei Shabbos, December 31, 7:00 PM in the Social Hall. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to sponsor. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruach Minyan in the Belonofsky Sanctuary – In honor of Shabbos Chanukah we will have a Ruach Minyan this Friday, December 23, led by Judah Lifschitz. Following Mincha, those interested in a regular Minyan will go to the Social Hall to Daven Kabbalos Shabbos and Maariv.
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura on the Parsha, now learning the Kedushas Levi. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Kedushas Levi's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos morning. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Postelnek. See flyer for details.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Following the Hashkamah Minyan, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Binyamin Sanders.
Save the Date for the 2023 YISE Gala Banquet – Sunday, February 26, 2023. Honoring Stuart & Judy Rosenthal, Josh & Sara Katz, and the 2023 high school graduating seniors who have served our congregation's youth.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee. Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, January 2 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
High Holidays Survey – YISE wants to learn from members of the community about your preferences and choices regarding High Holidays services. Fill out our short survey at https://wp.yise.org/high-holidays-survey Those who provide their names will be entered in a drawing for a $100 Shalom Kosher gift card.
Living Shabbos – Join YISE young professionals for a series on the laws of Shabbos with Rabbi Postelnek. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman, 11611 Kemp Mill Road. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group contact Rabbi Postelnek at firstname.lastname@example.org Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/living-shabbos
Ask the Rabbi – Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring different Halachic topics! This month's topic: Toveling and Kashering utensils, will take place on Tuesday, January 31, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM on Zoom A. The first 45 minutes is for Shailos submitted in advance and the last 15 minutes is for Q&A. Send in your questions to: AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, January 29. For more info. and to submit questions by phone or anonymously, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com To sponsor the program, contact the YISE office. See flyer for details.
Monthly Shalosh Seudos – First Shabbos of each month. To sponsor, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, ext. 103, or firstname.lastname@example.org Volunteers are needed to set up and clean up. Contact Ethan Cohen at email@example.com to be part of the rotation. See flyer for details.
Kiddush Volunteers Needed from ALL Minyanim to help set up and clean up for Kiddushes on Shabbos morning. Times vary. Let us know when you are available. Contact Barbara Price at 301-332-8181.
Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. For questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For other questions, contact Seth Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, provides assistance to families undergoing medical crises. For information, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at https://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* Margie & Michael Hourwitz in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend the Shiur.
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur and in memory of parents, Avraham Ben Tzvi HaLevi & Ada Bas Menachem Aryeh, Z"L, and Rabbi Hillel & Mrs. Myrna Klavan, Z"L.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray and Chani & Jay Parness in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all those who attend his Shiur.
* Ina Klinger (mother of Elaine Rubin)
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura
* Ina Klinger (mother of Elaine Rubin)
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
YISE continues to offer a number of different in-person and virtual learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will not meet on Thursday, December 29.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM, Zoom A, will not meet on Wednesday, December 28, or on Thursday, December 29.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resume on January 1, 2023.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A, will resume on January 4, 2023.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM. Shiurim:
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C, will resume on Sunday, January 1.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys – Zoom D.
* SCP (Semichas Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM at YISE. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Register online at https://thegreaterwashingtoncommunitykollel.com/scp See flyer for details.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Levy 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 8:45 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", in-person in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom G.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Metzia, Daf 3a. Wednesday evenings at 8:00 PM on Zoom H.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 or 929-205-6099 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, passcode Winter (phone 667362)
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 849 3898 4989, passcode 161699
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Community Programs & Listings
Kidney Donation Needed – Mr. Gerry Segelman, father of Micah Segelman, is in need of a kidney transplant. If you would consider being a kidney donor, please contact Rabbi Chaim Steinmetz at Renewal for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 718-431-9831 ext 209.
Imitating the Outside World – Join the Federal Holiday Learning Program with Kollel Zichron Amram on Monday, December 26, at YGW Boys' Campus and on Zoom – Meeting ID: 815 9130 9185, Passcode: 1216613. Davening 7:45 AM, breakfast 9:00 AM, learning 9:30 AM, Shiur with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 10:40 AM. Questions? Contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 240-858-2041 or email@example.com
In G-d We Trust – Exploring the relationship and balance between Relying on G-d/Bitachon & Human Endeavor/Hishtadlus, based on the teachings of 11th century scholar, Rabbeinu Bachya's Treatise on Trust – Shaar Habitachon. Wednesdays, 12:15 PM – 1:00 PM on Zoom, beginning December 14. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. To register, visit https://linksgw.org/classes
Ko-ach Sports Baseball and Basketball Registration is Now Open – Now in our 7th year! A Sunday sports program for boys K – 6th grade. To register, go to www.Ko-achSports.com Basketball starts Sunday, January 29. Baseball starts Sunday, March 26. Early bird and sibling discounts available! Play Ball!
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, January 4, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Siyum in Memory of Art Sapper – Go to http://hadranalach.com/2568 to join a Siyum Mishnayos planned for the first Yahrzeit of Art Sapper on November 27, 2023, Kislev 14, 5784.
Mikvah Emunah Society Membership Campaign is underway. It's time to renew or become a member of MES! Regardless of age, gender, or whether you currently use the Mikvah, the community has a responsibility for all its members' spiritual and physical needs. Membership is $360 a year ($30 per month), but all donations are needed and appreciated. If $360 is beyond your ability, please consider becoming a supporting member for $180 or make a contribution at a level that is meaningful for you. Pay online at https://mikvahemunah.com/membership
Bring Some Warmth To Your Friends & Neighbors in Need – Donate warm food items to the Capital Kosher Food Pantry's Cold Weather Food Drive. We need your help to stock up on soups, hot beverages, hot breakfast cereals and more for the coming cold months. All food donations should be shelf-stable, factory sealed, well within the use-by date, and be marked with Star-K, OU, CRC, OK or Kof-K certification. For complete details, please visit: https://www.capitalkosherpantry.org/cold-weather-food-drive
Alshich on the Parsha with Rabbi Levy – Shabbat afternoon between Mincha and Maariv in the Franco Beit Midrash.
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu
Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, currently learning Bava Metzia. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner), about 2.5 Daf covered each week.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person, 7:30 AM in the YISE Social Hall.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, Dec. 25 – Chanukah/Rosh Chodesh
Monday, Dec. 26 – Chanukah
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 6:01 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:30 AM, Latest Netz: 7:28 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:46 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:42 PM, Earliest Shkia: 4:51 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 5:40 PM
December 30 – 31, 2022 – 7 Teves 5783
* Light Candles by 4:36
* Mincha: 4:40 (B), 4:35 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:35 (B), 4:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:40
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 28, at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager