Parshas Matos/Masei – August 2 – 3, 2019
Download the August 2 – 3, 2019 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 2 – 3, 2019 – 2 Av 5779 – Parshas Matos-Masei
Light Candles by 8:00 – Havdalah 9:03
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Marla and Marty Teichman in memory of Jeffrey on his Yahrzeit.
* Batsheva & Moshe Broder on the birth of a daughter, Emma (Emunah Shalva). Mazal Tov to big sister, Serena, and to grandparents Fran & Alan Broder and Itty & Nathan Willner and great-grandparents Marilyn & Sol Broder and Glicka Creeger.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the birth of a great grandson. Parents are Puah & Yehoshua Goldberger.
* Light Candles by 8:00, and not before 6:50
Ashkenazi: 6:40, 7:00, 8:00 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:55 Sephardi: 7:40 Nusach Sefard: 7:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:03
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – sponsored by the many friends of Evelyn & Joel Davis to wish them a Tsaischem L'Shalom on their move to Florida and thank them for their devotion and service to YISE.
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – Siyum on Maseches Rosh Hashanah for GWCK's On the Same Page Gemara program. Sponsored by On the Same Page participants. Mazal Tov!
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Tsipi & Jerry Hawk and family for the Yahrzeit of his grandmother, Enya Dentzya bas HaRav Yosef.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, qsWednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Social Hall, will resume on September 1.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 7:20 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE, will resume on September 2. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume in the fall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:10 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this Shabbos.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva.
Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
Family Hike – Join YISE Youth for a family hike on Northwest Branch Trail, Sunday, August 4, 9:30 AM. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
High Holiday Seats – The High Holiday Seating Committee will be in the Arcola Social Hall Lobby on Sunday, August 4, from 10:00 AM to 12 Noon to accept and assist in completing any seating forms.
Community Service Day – Be part of a Community Service Day on Sunday, August 4 from 12 Noon – 2:00 PM, sponsored by YISE, KMS and Chabad of Silver Spring. Volunteer at A Wider Circle distribution center, 9159 Brookville Rd., Silver Spring, MD – 301-608-3504. Help sort through donations, stock shelves, or load trucks. Great activity for most ages – individuals, families, and groups welcome. Upper School students get community service hours. For more information and to RSVP, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com First-time volunteers should fill out the waiver form: http://awidercircle.org/wp-content/uploads/Volunteer-Packet-2019-Waiver-Only.pdf Directions: Take Georgia Ave. south toward Silver Spring, turn right onto 16th St., right onto 2nd Ave., left onto Luzerne Ave. and park at Woodlin Elementary and walk around the dividing fence to A Wider Circle. A Wider Circle furnishes roughly 20 homes a day, thanks to the wonderful help of volunteers like you!
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a Jewish history topic, Monday, August 5, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, August 7, 12 Noon, Social Hall. Dr. Alan Breitler, Great Scientists, Part 4 "Ada Byron, Countess of Lovelace, and Computer Programming"
Save the Date! YISE Annual BBQ – Sunday, August 18, 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM in the Social Hall. $10 per adult, $5 per child, family max. $45. Go to www.yise.org/bbq for see flyer for details.
Shabbos Groups Coordinator – The YISE Youth Committee is seeking a Shabbos Groups Coordinator starting in September. Excellent communications and organizational skills, an education background and experience working with pre-school and young school-aged children are required. For more information, contact Elise Saks at email@example.com Please spread the word!!
Substitute Teachers – Shomrai Preschool is hiring substitute teachers for the 2019-2020 school year. Please contact Suri Kinzbrunner at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Tisha B'Av Schedule
Those planning to walk to shul while it is still Shabbos to attend Maariv Saturday night should bring their non-leather shoes to Shul before Shabbos.
Shabbos, August 10 – Erev Tisha B'Av
* Fast Begins 8:09 PM
* Shabbos Ends 8:54 PM
* Maariv followed by Eicha – Sephardi 9:10 PM
* Maariv followed by Eicha (Belonofsky Sanctuary, Nusach Sefard, Youth Social Hall) 9:15 PM
Sunday, August 11 – Tisha B'Av
* Belonofsky Sanctuary 6:30 AM
* Sephardi 7:30 AM
* Belonofsky Sanctuary – including Kinos with Commentary by Rabbi Rosenbaum 8:30 AM
* Chatzos 1:14 PM
* Early Mincha (Belonofsky Sanctuary) 2:00 PM
* Video Programs (Social Hall) – annual Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation World-Wide Event – "V'ahavta l'rei'acha kamocha: The Blueprint for Rebuilding the Beis Hamikdash"
* Program A – 2:45 PM – Large Social Hall
HaRav Yitzchok Sorotzkin, Rabbi Ephraim Eliyahu Shapiro, Rabbi Fishel Schachter
* Program for Youth 2:45 PM – Small Social Hall
* Program B – 5:45 PM – Large Social Hall
Rabbi Moshe Weinberger, Rabbi Zecharia Wallerstein, Mr. Michael Rothschild
* Regular Mincha (Belonofsky Sanctuary) 7:35 PM
* Sephardi – Mincha / Maariv 7:45 PM
* Maariv (Belonofsky Sanctuary) 8:25 PM
* Fast Ends 8:52 PM
Community Programs and Listings
Shabbos afternoon Shiur at University Towers – 1121 University Blvd W, Apt 516, on Shabbos, August 3 at 4:30 PM.
Tzurba M'Rabanan learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at a NEW TIME, 3:00 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group at 4:45 PM at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road.
Survival of the Caretaker – Hear and share your experiences and thoughts on this topic at The Golden Network Caregiver Support Group. The next meeting will take place on Sunday, August 4, 10:15 AM – 11:15 AM at KMS, room F. This group is geared towards Jewish women whose spouses are living at home or are in a medical facility and are affected by a chronic physical illness or a cognitive condition. For more information or if you plan to attend, please contact: Hedy Peyser, MSW, email@example.com 301-649-9870.
NechamaComfort – Please join NechamaComfort for a discussion on how to best support friends and family through infertility, miscarriage, and infant loss. Reva Judas, founder of NechamaComfort, will provide guidance and advice. Monday, August 5, 8:00 PM – 9:30 PM at the home of Avi & Brenah Siegel, 11536 Daffodil Lane. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP, with any questions, or to be a sponsor. No cost to attend, open to men and women.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday night, August 6, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. This week's Shiur will be given by Rabbi Rosenbaum.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, August 7, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Ovadia Hayat at email@example.com for more info.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the YISE late Mincha.
13th Global Siyum Hashas – GWCK invites men and women of the community to join for an inspiring trip to the 13th Global Siyum Hashas of Daf Yomi at Met Life Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ, January 1, 2020 – 1:00pm. GWCK will be arranging bus transportation to and from the Siyum Hashas. To be seated with other members of the Greater Washington community at the Siyum Hashas, make your reservation by Aug 12 using the Greater Washington Group Code. For more information, to reserve your seat on the bus, and to receive the Greater Washington Group Code go to www.gwckollel.org/siyumhashas
The Greater DC Diaper Bank empowers families and individuals in need throughout DC, Maryland, and Virginia by providing an adequate and reliable source for basic baby needs and personal hygiene products. You can donate diapers and other items in Kemp Mill at the Licht home, 11609 Yeatman Terrace. Leave your donation in the red bin by the front door. Include your contact information so the Diaper Bank can let you know how much your donation is appreciated. To find out more about the work DC Diaper Bank does, visit www.dcdiaperbank.org If you have questions, contact Panina Licht at firstname.lastname@example.org
We accept the following NEW and unexpired items: Diapers & pullups (open packages accepted), formula, baby food & toddler snacks, new & unopened bottles and nipples, new & unopened pacifiers, food: non-perishable canned goods and dry goods, wipes, diaper rash cream, tampons/pads (open boxes OK if individually wrapped), shampoo/conditioner, deodorant, toothbrushes/toothpaste for adults and children, lotion for adults and babies, adult diapers- sealed packages only, cloth diapers, toilet paper, soap. We also accept the following gently used items: Potty training seats, baby bathtubs. We don't accept: postpartum hospital supplies, cribs/mattresses, breast pumps or pump parts, used bottles or feeding supplies, clothes.
Capital Kosher Pantry – The shelves at Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry need restocking. Please help us replenish the foods so very needed by your friends and neighbors. Items most needed at this time include: Almond or soy milk, apple juice, canned fruit, cereals, granola/snack bars, healthy grains (farro, rice mixes), juice packs, pancake syrup, pareve crackers, pasta sauce, pizza sauce, rice cakes and vegetarian baked beans. Please DO NOT donate pasta or matzah. All items must be factory sealed in unbreakable containers, Kosher and well within the use-by date. Donation boxes are located in area shuls, Berman Hebrew Academy, Moti's Market, Shalom Kosher, Torah School, YGW Girls Division and in front of Yad Yehuda House at 1910 University Boulevard West. Please place only packaged food donations in the boxes. You may also visit yadyehuda.org/pantry to shop online and have products shipped directly to the Pantry. Our friends and neighbors in need rely on your generous assistance. Thank you so much for doing your part.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; email@example.com
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday August 4 Monday August 5 Tuesday August 6 Wednesday August 7 Thursday August 8 Friday August 9
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:19 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:42 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:50 PM
August 9 – 10, 2019 – 9 Av 5779
Parshas Devarim/Shabbos Chazon
Light Candles: Friday by 7:52 – Havdalah: 8:54
* Light Candles by 7:52, and not before 6:43
Ashkenazi: 6:25, 6:55 7:55 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 6:00 Sephardi: 5:00 Nusach Sefard: 6:00
* Shabbos Ends: 8:54
Wednesday, August 7 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Sunday, August 18 YISE Annual Barbecue. 3:00 PM
Shabbos, August 24 Scholar in Residence, Rabbi Shay Schachter
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 7 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager