Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hamaayan, Likutei Torah and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 30 – 31, 2020 – 13 Cheshvan 5781 – Parshas Lech Lecha
Light Candles by 5:51 – Havdalah 6:49
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Marilyn & Morris Edeson on the occasion of their 58th Wedding Anniversary on November 4, and by Faith Ginsburg and family to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Gil Ginsburg (Gershon Yosef ben Yisroel Moshe)
* Leah & Michael Bandler on the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter, Elisheva Keren Bandler, and to her parents, Clare Goldwater & Jeremy Bandler of Jerusalem.
* Teresa Berman on the engagement of her grandson, Natan Siegel, to Gavriella (Gabi) Lerner of Teaneck, NJ.
* Laurie & Stuart Cohen on the birth of a granddaughter, Chava Shaina (Lila Belle), to Mira & Chaim Abramson of Baltimore. Mazal Tov also to siblings Judah, Ayden, and Noah.
* Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum on the engagement of their grandson, Morrie Rosenblum, to Aviva Lidagoster of Riverdale, NY. Mazal Tov to all of the aunts, uncles and cousins in Baltimore, New York and Lincolnwood, Illinois.
* Sara Silver on the Bat Mitzvah of her granddaughter, Chani, daughter of Bessie Milch, in Pittsburgh this Shabbos. Mazal Tov to also to greatgrandmother Vivian Silver.
* Mindy and Shmuel Tolchinsky on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Avraham Asher, son of Sarah & Zvi Tolchinsky of Cleveland, OH. Mazal Tov to Avraham Asher's siblings, to grandparents Miriam & Sheldon Feinstein, to great-grandparents Janet Rottenberg and Yehuda Tolchinsky, and to all of the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Mindy and Shmuel Tolchinsky on the birth of a granddaughter, Tamar Naomi, born to Sarah & Zvi Tolchinsky of Cleveland, OH, on Shabbos, during her brother's Bar Mitzvah! Mazal Tov to Tamar Naomi's siblings, to grandparents Miriam & Sheldon Feinstein, to great-grandparents Janet Rottenberg and Yehuda Tolchinsky, and to all of the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Ari Mizel on the passing of his father, Monroe Mizel. The funeral took place on Thursday. Shiva visits may be made via Zoom (preferred), phone or email. Zoom Meeting ID: 933 603 8119, password: 2020. Phone 301-593-0402. Email email@example.com Shiva virtual visiting times: Motzei Shabbos: 8:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Sunday through Tuesday: 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM and 6:30 PM – 9:00 PM.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* Light Candles by 5:51
* Mincha: 6:00
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (6:09 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (5:02 PM).
* Shacharis: 7:30, 9:00, 9:30, 10:35 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 5:00
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 6:49
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and updated times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua,Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, will resume on Chanukah.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom C (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom B.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM
* For Women – Zoom D:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
Zoom C: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom E: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom F: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
YISE Youth Announcements
Mentalism Beyond Belief with David Jaison – Motzei Shabbos, November 21, 7:30 PM on Zoom A. For middle and high school students. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Kristallnacht Program on Zoom – Sunday, November 8. 7:00 PM – Virtual Video Presentation: Children Saved from the Nazis; The Story of Sir Nicholas Winton. 8:00 PM – Post-Video Discussion with Rabbi Rosenbaum and Rabbi Weinberg, "The Impact of our Actions in the Face of Challenges." Please join our community for this thought-provoking and meaningful commemoration. Zoom ID: 655 813 1022 Password: 365636
Preschool Director – YISE is seeking a warm and caring director for the 2021-2022 school year to help re-open our dynamic preschool, the starting point for an outstanding Jewish and General Studies education. (We are closed for the 2020-2021 school year due to COVID-19.) The position will begin part-time in January 2021 and become full time in July to enable the director to implement the return to a full learning program, which will include hiring staff, updating curriculum, and recruiting students. Early Childhood training and experience is required and previous director experience is an advantage. Please send your resume and at least two references before October 30 to Susan Koss at email@example.com
Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class – now on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, November 2, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom. Meeting ID – 871 7697 8136, password 329598. Call-in 301-715-8592. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Unity in the Community in Difficult Times – Join the Greater Washington community for words of inspiration with Rabbi Paysach Krohn. Sunday, November 15, 8:30 PM on Zoom. Meeting ID: 964 8488 1332, password 613613. See flyer for details.
Go Social! Want to reconnect with shul friends you lost touch with these past COVID-19 months? We're missing our Shul buddies as well! YISE's Social Committee to the rescue! We want your energy to help lead new (virtual, of course) programs. Sahra Ginsburg email@example.com Sharon Shimoff firstname.lastname@example.org and Max Rudmann email@example.com are waiting to hear from you. We already have something fun planned for Chanukah, so stay tuned. Details coming soon.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Free Outdoor Flu Shots for the Family – Sunday, November 1, 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM, at Berman Hebrew Academy, 13300 Arctic Avenue, and Sunday, November 8, 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM, at Torah School of Greater Washington, 2010 Linden Lane. Shots administered in your car. Ages 6-months and up. Brought to you by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington. Shots administered by Holy Cross Healthcare. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, November 4, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum's Shiur on ¡§Higher Biblical Criticism: A Popular – but Highly Flawed – Theory" for men & women, Thursdays at 10:15 AM on Zoom. Meeting ID: 970 1398 4837, Password: 613
Refuat Hanefesh Free Online Facilitated Peer Support Groups for COVID-19 Related Struggles
* Adults (18+) experiencing isolation or loneliness, led by Dr. Avi Muschel, Mondays, 8:00 PM, 11/9, 11/23, 12/7,12/21, 1/4, 1/18.
* Older adults (55+) experiencing isolation or loneliness, led by Dena Croog Cohen, Wednesdays, 7:30 PM, 11/4, 11/18, 12/2, 12/16, 12/30, 1/13.
* Grief and loss due to the loss of a loved one to COVID-19, led by Lauren Bahar, MSW, Tuesdays, 8:00 PM, 11/3, 11/17, 12/1, 12/15, 12/29, 1/12.
* Parents of children with specialized needs who feel impacted by the pandemic (This group is co-sponsored by Makor Disability Services.), Tuesdays, 8:00 PM, 11/3, 11/17, 12/1, 12/15, 12/29, 1/12.
For more information, contact Noam Stein at email@example.com or go to www.refuathanefesh.org
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Hope and Healing Gala – Event streaming on November 8, 10:00 AM, honoring BCGW volunteers Sid Diamond, Arlene Groner and Marcia Kerchner. Register online at https://www.bikurcholimgw.org
Journey to Virtue: Self-Development through Jewish Study – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Discover the great wisdom of the Jewish tradition to help you reach your full potential, enhance your relationships, and live life with greater meaning! Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. The journey continues. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click ¡§Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE. Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM; Monday through Friday 6:00 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 4:55 PM.
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:49 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:13 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:22 PM
November 6 – 7, 2020 – 20 Cheshvan 5781
Light Candles: 4:43
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 4 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager
* Outdoor Minyan – If you are interested in an outdoor Minyan without a tent, subject to weather conditions, please email Ari Elias-Bachrach at email@example.com
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original registration form, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with details.
* If you attend Minyanim at other locations during the week, you may not attend Minyanim at YISE the same week. The week starts fresh each Friday night.
* All other activities at YISE are cancelled, including Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Fall Back to Standard Time
Don't forget to change your clocks Motzei Shabbos.
At this time, we do not have a late Maariv scheduled. If you are interested in a late Maariv, please email email@example.com
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org – Sponsor name, Birthday or anniversary date, Name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Chumash Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54. Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha and Halacha Shiur
* Bill and Ruthie Konick in thanks to HaKodosh Baruch Hu for Chaim Oriel Yehuda's Bris. May it be a foretaste and a harbinger for Refuos for all who are in need.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Shiur
* Bill and Ruthie Konick in thanks to HaKodosh Baruch Hu for Chaim Oriel Yehuda's Bris. May it be a foretaste and a harbinger for Refuos for all who are in need.
* Louis and Judy Morris in memory of Judy's father, Akiva ben Harav Mordechai, Z"L, for the thirteenth Yahrtzeit.
* Debbie Rogal in commemoration of the Yahrzeit of her grandfather, Robert Feldman, Z"L.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Nach Shiur
* Marvin Konick, Mazal Tov to Ayelet and Yosef Konick on the Bris of their son, Chaim Oriel Yehuda. Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Parsha Drasha
* Rochelle Dimont and the Dimont, Ginsburg & Neuman families to commemorate the Yahrtzeit of their Bubbie and greatgrandmother, Chaya Sarah Tarshish, Z"L.
* Bev Morris in memory of her beloved father, Jacob (Jack) M. Morris, Yitzchak ben Shaya V'Malka, Z"L, on 16 Marcheshvan.
* Dolores & Len Schwartz and Melanie & Sandy Karlin to commemorate the 36th Yahrtzeit of their father and grandfather, Martin Choina, Mordechai Menachem ben Yisroel Yaakov, Z"L.