Parshas Lech Lecha – November 8-9, 2019
Download the November 8-9, 2019 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 8 – 9, 2019 – 11 Cheshvan 5780 – Parshas Lech Lecha
Light Candles by 4:42 – Havdalah 5:41
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the Ginsburg Family in commemoration of the 1st Yahrzeit of Prof. Gilbert J. Ginsburg.
* Zahava & Gabe Bensimon and family on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Yedidya.
* Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum on the engagement of their grandson, Barry Rosenblum, to Ruth Maouda of Las Angeles. Mazal Tov to all of the extended family in Chicago, New York & Baltimore.
* Roz & Shmuel Shafner on the birth of a grandson born to their children, Sarah & Aaron Yevick of Kemp Mill. Mazal Tov to big brother Ben. The Shalom Zachor will take place Friday night at the Shafner home, 11605 Monticello Ave., from 8:00 PM – 10:00 PM. The Bris will take place this Sunday, November 10, after the 8:00 AM Shacharis Minyan at KMS.
* Light Candles by 4:42
Ashkenazi: 4:45 Sephardi: 4:40 Nusach Sefard: 4:45 *
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 * Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00 *
Ashkenazi: 2:30,4:40 Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
* Shabbos ends: 5:41
* Minyan moves: The Nusach Sefard Minyan will take place in the Large Social Hall on Friday night and Shabbos morning. The Youth Minyan will take place in the Yeshiva Small Beis Medrash.
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Ginsburg Family in commemoration of the 1st Yahrzeit of Prof. Gilbert J. Ginsburg.
* 9:15 Minyan – Tsipi & Jerry Hawk in memory of Jerry's father, Tzvi Elazar ben Harav Yeshaya.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:35 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Large Social Hall. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, in the Small Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women – new topic: A 2nd Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, in the Social Hall at 7:50 PM, will resume November 20.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Yeshiva Small Beis Medrash.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
YISE Programs and Listings
Stop the Bleed Training – YISE hosted training sessions last Sunday. Additional information about Stop the Bleed Training is available at www.yise.org/stopthebleed or email email@example.com for more information.
Dor l'Dor – Come join Dor l'Dor: the Family Chevrusah-style Learning In a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, November 9, 7:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. This Dor l'Dor is sponsored by Dov & Aliza Chodoff and family & Yonah and Teanna Mainzer and family. See flyer for details.
Protecting Yourself in an Age of Fraud – Sunday, November 10, 10:30 AM – noon in the Small Social Hall. Organized by Bikur Cholim and YISE. Learn about senior financial fraud and exploitation. Panel discussion including Rabbi Rosenbaum, Leslie Kessler, Leah Nichaman and Tovah Kasdin. See flyer for details.
Parkland Pool Property Public Meeting – YISE is in the process of acquiring a portion of the Parkland Pool parking lot to address our Shul's burgeoning needs. In the coming days, you may notice a sign posted on the Shul's grounds announcing a public meeting about the planned purchase and future development of that property. As part of the purchase and subdivision process, we are required to host a public meeting to inform the community about our long term plans to develop the property.
The meeting will take place on Thursday, November 21, at 8:00 PM in the Large Social Hall. YISE members are, of course, welcome and encouraged to attend. If you have any questions or concerns in advance of the meeting, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs and Listings
Tzurba M'Rabanan learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Eric & Suri Eric Kinzbrunner, 1151 Kersey Road. The women's group will not take place this Shabbos.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, November 9, 3:00 PM (NOTE NEW TIME) at 1121 University Blvd. West Apt. 516.
Monash – the Forgotten Anzac – The SSJC is excited to announce the return of our movie night with a special Veterans Day program, Motzei Shabbos, November 9 at 7:45 PM. General Sir John Monash is little known in the United States and we invite you to learn more about this multifaceted Jewish hero. $5 includes movie, popcorn and a drink. In honor of the Veterans weekend, all Veterans & current service members are free with presentation of valid ID.
Yad Yehuda's Clothing Exchange is a free clothing store for new or gently-used modest, up-to-date, clothing. We stock men's, women's, children's and infants' clothes and winter coats. We currently have an overabundance of beautiful clothing and are opening our doors to the general Jewish community. Please drop in to see our selection this Sunday, November 10. from 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM and on Sunday November 17 at 7:00 PM.
The Clothing Exchange is located at Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Boulevard West, Silver Spring, MD 20902. There is no charge for items in The Clothing Exchange.
Project Akiva – Please join us on Sunday, November 10, from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM at 615 Hyde Rd, for the launch of Project Akiva, L'ilui Nishmas Akiva Leib ben Ezra Meshulam Eliezer. Project Akiva is an organization that will help families heal after the unimaginable loss of a child.
There will be fun for the whole family (moonbounce, popcorn, face-painting and more) as a way to introduce Project Akiva and thank the community for the outpouring of love and support that was shown to our family during the life of our son, Akiva. This is an outdoor event, so please bring a jacket if it is chilly. The rain date will be Sunday, November 17. If you have any questions, please email Projectakiva@gmail.com or text 301-802-0558. Ezra and Yiscah Baldinger.
Get EGGcited About STEAM – Join Berman Hebrew Academy on Sunday, November 10, 10:00 AM – noon at Berman for an EGGciting STEAM event with hands-on activities allowing our youngest thinkers to create, problem-solve, innovate and invent. This event is open to the community and is geared towards preschoolers, kindergarteners and their siblings. To register, visit bit.ly/steamatberman or contact Ellie Levine at firstname.lastname@example.org
Federal Jobs.- Free webinar with Corliss Jackson, Monday, November 11, 7:00 PM to 7:30 PM. For more information and to register, please visit federaljobresults.com/events.htm
Post High School Girls Shiur – Wednesday night, November 13, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. This week's Shiur will be given by Rabbi Katz.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, November 13, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Ovadia Hayat at email@example.com for more information.
Great Challah Bake – Women and girls are invited to the annual Great Challah Bake 2019, Thursday, November 14, 7:00 PM at the Berman Hebrew Academy. Make Challah, make friends, get inspired. Free admission. Register at bit.ly/mocochallahbake or email ShabbatProjectMD@gmail.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Hope & Healing Gala – November 17, 10:00 AM at Beth Sholom Congregation. Honoring Betty Kramer, Judi Kranz, Max Rudmann and David Zierler. To register, go to www.bikurcholimgw.org For more information, call 202-331-4481 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
AMIT Birah Chapter Dinner Reception – Meet our student ambassadors on Monday, November 18, 7:00 PM, at the home of Sharona & Leo Rozmaryn, 801 Stonington Road. Light dairy supper. For additional information, contact Robbie Pearlstein at 410-484-2223 or email@example.com or go to amitchildren.org/event/amit-birah-chapter-dinner-reception
Taking Care of Ourselves…Body and Soul – The Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington presents a night of learning for women of all ages. Wednesday, November 20, 8:00 PM at Chabad of Silver Spring – 519 Lamberton Drive. Join us for an evening of questions and answers featuring a panel discussion with community Rebbetzins including Mrs. Rivkie Frank, Mrs. Rachie Reingold, Mrs. Atara Rosenbaum, Mrs. Estee Silver, Mrs. Elana Weinberg Mrs. Sara Malka Winter and Mrs. Chaya Wolvovsky.
Special tribute in honor of the shloshim of Robin Niman, A"H. Have a question for the Rebbetzins? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 18 (Not all questions will be used.)
Hachnasat Orchim Kemp Mill (H.O.K.M.), in partnership with Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington, is being launched to pair hosts with Kemp Mill individuals who wish to be hosted for Shabbat and Yom Tov meals, so everyone has the opportunity to share Seudot with others. To host or to be hosted, please create a login at SeudaFinder.com Registered hosts will be notified via email of guests available for hosting. Registered guests may request hosting by members of our community.
For information, visit SeudaFinder's FAQ page or contact email@example.com Serena Kalish, Miriam Levson, Chayie Chinn – Initiative Chairs (Please note that YISE will also continue its own Hospitality Program focused on out-oftown guests, newcomers, and coordinating Seudot for Sukkos and Pesach).
Capital Kosher Pantry – The shelves at Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry need restocking. Please help us replenish the foods so very needed by your friends and neighbors. Items most needed at this time include: Almond or soy milk, apple juice, canned fruit, cereals, granola/snack bars, healthy grains (farro, rice mixes), juice packs, pancake syrup, pareve crackers, pasta sauce, pizza sauce, rice cakes and vegetarian baked beans.
Please DO NOT donate pasta or matzah. All items must be factory sealed in unbreakable containers, Kosher and well within the use-by date. Donation boxes are located in area shuls, Berman Hebrew Academy, Moti's Market, Shalom Kosher, Torah School, YGW Girls Division and in front of Yad Yehuda House at 1910 University Boulevard West. Please place only packaged food donations in the boxes. You may also visit yadyehuda.org/pantry to shop online and have products shipped directly to the Pantry. Our friends and neighbors in need rely on your generous assistance. Thank you so much for doing your part.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; firstname.lastname@example.org
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday November 10 Monday November 11 Tuesday November 12 Wednesday November 13 Thursday November 14 Friday November 15
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 6:15, 7:15
Ashkenazi 4:40 4:40 / 7:30 4:40 / 7:30 4:40 / 7:30 4:40 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:57 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:18 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:23 PM
November 15 – 16, 2019 – 18 Cheshvan 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 4:36 – Havdalah: 5:36
* Light Candles by 4:36
Ashkenazi: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:35 Sephardi: 4:15 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:36
Shabbos, November 9 Bar Mitzvah of Yedidya Bensimon, 7:45 AM
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 9 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM
Sunday, November 10 Protecting Yourself in an Age of Fraud, 10:30 AM
Monday, November 11 The Man with the Truck, 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Shabbos, November 16 Bar Mitzvah of Shlomo Aaron Shinensky, 8:45 AM
Thursday, November 21 Parkland Pool Property Public Meeting, 8:00 PM
Sunday, November 24 Blood Drive, 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 13 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-55c61 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager