Young Israel Shomrai Emunah -Shabbos Shorts
November 4 – 5, 2022 – 11 Marcheshvan 5783 – Parshas Lech Lecha
Light Candles by 5:46 – Havdalah 6:45
YISE is proud to sponsor the Shorts to honor all of the Gabbaim, Ba'alei Tefilah, Ba'alei Kriah, and all of the many, many volunteers who made the High Holidays, Sukkos and Simchas Torah such wonderful and special events.
* Sharon & Jeff Augenbaum on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Sam Augenbaum, son of Dahlia & Dovid Augenbaum of Woodmere, NY. Mazal Tov to all of the siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Rabbi Sanford H. Shudnow on the inclusion of his artworks for the 19th year in the 19th Annual Healing Arts Exhibit at The America Pavilion, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, on display now through December 31.
* Marty Jacobs on the passing of his wife, Golda Jacobs. Shiva is being observed Saturday night and Sunday morning at the home of Zalmie and Tikva Jacobs, 29 Rensselaer Avenue, Atlantic Beach, NY 11509, and Sunday afternoon through Monday morning at the Jacob home, 10155 Collins Avenue, Apartment 1209, Bal Harbour, FL 33154.
* Arline & Irving Katz on the passing of their son, Daniel Katz, and Menashe Katz and Shlomo Katz on the passing of their brother. Shiva is being observed through Wednesday morning at 11913 Viewcrest Terrace. Shacharis: Sunday 7:30 AM, Monday 6:45 AM, Tuesday/Wednesday 7:00 AM. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday through Tuesday 4:40 PM. Visitors Motzei Shabbos 8:00 PM – 10:00 PM, Sunday through Tuesday Shacharis until 12 Noon, 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM.
* Eli Landy on the passing of his wife, Lisa Landy. Shiva will be observed at 715 North Belgrade Road from Monday morning through Wednesday morning. Shacharis: Monday 6:45 AM, Tuesday/Wednesday 7:00 AM. Mincha/Maariv: Monday/Tuesday 4:45 PM. Visitors are requested from Shacharis until 12 Noon, 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM and 7:00 PM – 9:30 PM.
Minyan locations are B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Light Candles by 5:46
* Mincha: 5:50 (B), 5:45 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:30 (B), 5:25 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends: 6:45
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Moshe Holzer
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Hashkamah Minyan Group.
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by "members of the Main Minyan" in honor of their Gabbaim, Seth Katz and Craig Simon, and their Ba'alei Kriah, Rabbi Barry Greengart, Ed Zurndorfer, Menashe Katz, Moshe Fischer, Yehuda Millen and Rafi Moses.
* The monthly Shalosh Seudos is sponsored by Jacob Frenkel for the Yahrzeits of Jacob's mother, Shulamis Bas Reb Mordechai HaLevi, A"H, on 16 Marcheshvan, and of Jacob's father, ZT"L, HaRav Mayer Azriel Zelig Ben Yaakov Elazar HaLevi, on 26 Marcheshvan. Fall Back to Standard Time – Don't forget to change your clocks Motzei Shabbos.
* Any person eligible for a fully FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine (16 years of age or older), but who chooses to not be vaccinated may attend YISE Minyanim and events with the following guidelines. Unvaccinated individuals must remain masked at all times while in the Shul building, including at Kiddushes and/or other events containing food. Masks may not be removed to eat or drink. Exceptions will be made for private functions being held at the Shul, but that are not Shul sponsored events.
* Anyone with any of the following symptoms should not come to shul: fever of 100.4 degrees or higher, chills, muscle aches, sore throat, severe cough, headache, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose, or new loss of sense of taste or smell. If you have tested positive for COVID, you should follow the CDC guidelines.
* Masks are now optional for vaccinated adults and for children under 16.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Youth Announcements
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan, led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, meets at 9:15 AM every Shabbos in The House next to the Shul. Kiddush is served after Davening.
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, November 5, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Shabbos Group for 5th and 6th Grade Girls will gather in the front yard of The House next to the Shul promptly at 10 am and go inside together. See flyer for details.
Junior Congregation for boys in grades 4 – 6 with Jay Marcus Meet in the Lower Lobby at 9:55 and walk to the Yeshiva at 10:00. See flyer for details.
Calling All Rising 5th and 6th Grade Boys!! Rabbi Rosenbaum is learning weekly with rising 5th and 6th grade boys one hour before Mincha in the YISE Social Hall. Bring your hard questions! Refreshments will be served.
Thank You to Ben Yehuda Pizza and Simi & Sammy Franco for sponsoring the Parshas Noach Animal Meet and Greet.
YISE Programs and Listings
Return of the Ruach Minyan! This Shabbos, Friday, November 4, led by R' Ozzie Burnham. Mincha in the Belonofsky Sanctuary, followed by Kabbalos Shabbos and Maariv in the Social Hall. There will be a special children's story program during part of Maariv with Mrs. Susan Koss! Bring your family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For questions, contact Adam Bashein: 301-943-4370 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Monthly Shalosh Seudos – First Shabbos of each month, starting this Shabbos. To sponsor, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, ext. 103, or email@example.com Volunteers are needed to set up and clean up. Contact Ethan Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org to be part of the rotation.
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos morning. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Following the Hashkamah Minyan, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
Late Weekday Maariv – Monday through Thursday, 7:30 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary, starting Monday, November 7.
Living Shabbos – Join YISE young professionals for a series on the laws of Shabbos with Rabbi Postelnek. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman, 11611 Kemp Mill Road. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group contact Rabbi Postelnek at email@example.com Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/living-shabbos
Kristallnacht Commemoration Program – Featuring Ruth Zimbler, presented by YISE and KMS on Sunday, October 30. Recording available at https://wp.yise.org/kristallnacht-commemoration A written transcript is available upon request – contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Hachnasat Sefer Torah Dedication by Feigy & Rabbi Tuvia Grauman, 10:00 AM on Sunday, November 20. Watch your email for details.
YISE Youth Shabbos Morning Groups Coordinator – You can make a real difference in our community and meet wonderful people at the same time. It's a lot of fun. Position requires 2 hours on Shabbos morning plus planning time during the week. Start date: November 19. Generous salary. For more information , contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com or Esti Thurman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Jewish War Veterans' Dining Out Banquet – Thursday, November 10, 6:30 PM at KMS. $55 per person. RSVP at https://diningout.kempmilljwv.com See flyer for details.
Bug Checking Seminar – Hands-on presentation with Rabbi Sholom Tendler of the Star-K has been postponed to Sunday, December 11. For more info, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee, Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, November 7 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. For questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For other questions, contact Seth Katz at email@example.com
Kiddush Volunteers Needed from ALL Minyanim to help set up and clean up for Kiddushes on Shabbos morning. Times vary. Let us know when you are available. Contact Barbara Price at 301-332-8181.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, provides assistance to families undergoing medical crises. We have a current need and more volunteers are required. For information, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at https://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsorsfor this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur and in memory of parents, Avraham Ben Tzvi HaLevi & Ada Bas Menachem Aryeh, Z"L, and Rabbi Hillel & Mrs. Myrna Klavan, Z"L.
* Tzvi Malin in gratitude to Rabbi Malka
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Judy & Louis Morris in memory of Judy's father, Akiva Ben HaRav Mordechai for his Yahrzeit on the 9th of Marcheshvan.
* Debbie Rogal in commemoration of her grandfather, Robert Feldman's, Yahrzeit.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all those who attend his Shiur.
8:45 Minyan Drasha
* Bev Morris in memory of her beloved father Jacob (Jack) M. Morris, A"H, Yitzchak Ben Yeshyahu V'Malka, on his Yahrzeit on 6 Marcheshvan. He left Russia as a young boy and never saw his mother or sisters again. He came to Pittsburgh, PA, and married Evelyn G. Butler, A"H, the daughter of Frank (Shraga Feivel Halevi), the first OU Mashgiach, and Mollie (Michla Reichel), the founder and 40-year president of the Pittsburgh Mikvah. With the love and encouragement of our uncles and aunts, Abraham & Sylvia (Gibber) Butler and Donald & Chantze (Bard) Butler, and dear cousins, they raised a family that is now in its 5th generation of committed and involved Yehudim. We thank Hashem for His goodness.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will not meet on Monday, November 7.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM, Zoom A, will not meet on Thursday, November 10.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM. Shiurim:
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C, will resume on Sunday, November 13.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter, Zoom D.
* SCP (Semichas Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM at YISE. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Register online at https://thegreaterwashingtoncommunitykollel.com/scp See flyer for details.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM For more information, contact Rabbi Levy 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", in-person in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom G.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Metzia, Daf 3a. Wednesday evenings at 8:00 PM on Zoom H.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 or 929-205-6099 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, passcode Winter (phone 667362)
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 849 3898 4989, passcode 161699
Community Programs & Listings
Kidney Donation Needed – Mr. Gerry Segelman, father of Micah Segelman, is in need of a kidney transplant. If you would consider being a kidney donor, please contact Rabbi Chaim Steinmetz at Renewal for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 718-431-9831 ext 209.
The Capital Closet will be open to this community this Sunday, November 6, 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM. Come peruse our beautiful, curated selection of clothing for women, men, and children, as well as Torah School uniforms! Our address is 1910 University Blvd, West in Silver Spring. We're in the brick house at the back of the parking lot. There is no charge for items in The Capital Closet, but donations to Yad Yehuda are always appreciated. We are unable to accept clothing donations at this time, with the exception of Torah School uniforms in pristine condition or new coats. For more information contact: email@example.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, November 9, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Jerusalem of the Balkans – The Sephardic Jewish Community of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sunday, November 6, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom. Register at https://shindc.org/JBalkans1 SHIN-DC Jewish Communities of the Balkans Series.
From Rhodes to Zimbabwe, Africa – Sephardic history, culture, language (Ladino), community and culinary traditions between the Zambezi and Limpopo Rivers. Sunday, November 13, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom. Register at https://shindc.org/JAfrica1 SHIN-DC Jewish Communities in Africa Series. Questions? Email Sephardic Heritage International (SHIN-DC): email@example.com
MES and The Robin Niman Mikvah Education Fund presents: "Understanding Menopause Through the Lens of Halacha, Medicine, and Intimacy," an educational evening for women via Zoom. Tuesday, November 8 at 8:30 PM EST. Meeting ID: 818 8834 3481. Passcode: 172732. See https://www.mikvahemunah.com for the full flyer.
Alshich on the Parsha with Rabbi Levy – Shabbat afternoon between Mincha and Maariv in the Franco Beit Midrash.
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, which began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org The class will resume on Wednesday, November 30.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person 1-1/2 hours before the main YISE Mincha, at the Yeshiva.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Friday, Nov. 11 – Veterans Day
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:25 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:53 AM, Latest Netz: 6:48 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:16 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:23 PM, Earliest Shkia: 4:56 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 5:44 PM
Next Shabbos – Parshas Vayeira
November 11 – 12, 2022 – 18 Marcheshvan 5783
* Light Candles by 4:39 EST
* Mincha: 4:40 (B), 4:35 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:35 (B), 4:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:39
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 9 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager