Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Likutei Torah, Hamaayan and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 5 – 6, 2021 – 22 Adar 5781 – Parshas Ki Sisa/Parah
Light Candles by 5:47 – Havdalah 6:46
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Jennifer & Yitzhak Cohen in honor of the wedding of their son, Max, to Daria Karpova in Israel on March 1, and by Melanie & Sandy Karlin in memory of Sandy's father, Charles Karlin, Betzalel Reuven ben Rephael Shlomo, Z”L, on his 4th Yahrzeit.
* Tzivia Bramson on the Bar Mitzvah of her great-grandson, Shlomo, son of Devorah & Yaakov Ryp and grandson of Renee & Mayer Weinstein.
* Jennifer & Yitzhak Cohen on the marriage of their son, Max, to Daria Karpova in Netanya on March 1. Mazal Tov also to Max's qsiblings and to grandmother Grace Weiner.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
* Light Candles by 5:47
* Mincha: 5:55, 5:50 (Sephardi)
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (6:05 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (4:53 PM).
* Shacharis: 7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 8:30 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 4:30, 4:45 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 6:46
Purim Thank You
A hearty Yasher Koach to our members, Max Rudmann, Saul Singer, Aron Trombka and Raph Ginsburg, for their involvement with the Kemp Mill Community Megillah Reading Project. Hundreds of our neighbors were able to participate in this important Mitzvah due to their efforts.
* Outdoor Minyan – If you are interested in a Shabbos morning outdoor Minyan without a tent, subject to weather conditions, please email Ari Elias-Bachrach at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original registration form, please send an email to email@example.com with details.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings at 7:30 PM, Zoom I.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom C (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom B.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM.
* For Women – Zoom D:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look-Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom H.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom C: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom E: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom F: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom I: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
YISE Youth Announcements
Dor L'Dor – Motzei Shabbos, March 6, 8:00 PM. Parsha, pizza, prizes and more – but this year virtual! Register by 10:00 AM, Friday, March 5, at www.yise.org/dorldor If you have any questions or would like to sponsor, please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Camp Shomrai is back for another fun-filled summer with programming for children in preschool through ninth grade! Camp runs from July 5th through August 13th. For more info or to register online, visit our website at https://campshomrai.org See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Pesach Hashomer – Deadline for articles and ads is Friday, March 5. Email email@example.com or contact Simi in the YISE office.
Ask The Rabbi – This month's topic: Pesach. Tuesday, March 9, 8:00 PM on Zoom A. Send your Pesach questions to AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, March 7. For more information and to submit questions by phone, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org To sponsor the Shiur, contact email@example.com Recordings of Shiurim available at https://wp.yise.org/ask-the-rabbi
Pesach Gift Bags – Join YISE in wishing everyone a Chag Kasher V'sameach by sponsoring a gift bag for local members. We wish we could celebrate in person as usual, but instead, we will deliver a Pesach bag to your home before Pesach! The gift bags will be delivered to all YISE members in the local area, including Kemp Mill, White Oak, Woodside, and Rockville. There are several sponsorship opportunities available: Platinum – $500, Gold – $250, Silver – $180, Bronze – $100, Seder – $50, Afikomen – $36. All information must be received by Wednesday, March 10 at 10:00 AM for inclusion with the gift bag. Please pay your sponsorship via the PayPal button on https://wp.yise.org/pesach A list of all sponsorships will be included with the gift bag. If you have any questions, please contact the YISE office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration for Shomrai Preschool 2021-2022 is now open! We are excited to be offering a Torah-rich, child-centered program for children entering 2 year-old Nursery – 4 year-old Pre-K. School day runs from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Extended care options available from 7:30 AM -8:30 AM and 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM. Register early for maximum savings! Visit our website for tuition rates and online registration at https://preschool.yise.org/registration For more information about the program email Sarah Dollman at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha and Halacha Shiur
* Marvin Konick in memory of the Yahrzeit of his grandfather, Yehoshua ben Yehudah Leib, on the 19th of Adar.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray for a Refuah Sheleimah for Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend the Shiur.
Assistant Rabbi – Proba – Rabbi Avraham Wein
The YISE Assistant Rabbi Search is happy to introduce Rabbi Avraham Wein to the community. Complete details, including a video Drasha, is available online at: https://wp.yise.org/probawein
* Text of Rabbi Wein's Shabbos Dvar Torah, "The Surprisingly Empowering Message of the Cheit Ha-Egel" is on Parashas Ki Sisa is on page 4 of the Shabbos Shorts.
* Sunday, March 7 – 11:00 AM – Rabbi Avraham Wein will present a halachic, source-based exploration, "The 'Phoney' Blood Libel of the 1960s: A Historical, Halakhic, and Hashkafic Analysis." The shiur will last 30 minutes. There will be an opportunity for questions through the Zoom chat at the end of the session.
* Sunday, March 7 – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM – Questions and Answers. YISE members will have an opportunity to get to know our candidate, Rabbi Avraham Wein and his wife, Shira. Rabbi Wein and Shira will answer questions previously submitted by members. This session will be moderated by a member of the Assistant Rabbi Search Committee.
* All programs will take place on Zoom A.
* Direct link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/4169639000?pwd=Q1JKU2N2TVo1d0pnQ0lHQ2g0YXg2Zz09
* Meeting ID: 416 963 9000 Passcode: 492019
* Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID and passcode.
* Recordings of the programs will be available at: https://wp.yise.org/probawein
Community Programs & Listings
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, March 10, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
The Yad Yehuda Clothing Exchange has available hours for all members of the community to shop at no cost the next three Sundays from 10:00 AM – 12 Noon. This is an opportunity for people to come and shop for beautiful, Tzanua clothing in our well-equipped showroom, while wearing masks and maintaining social distancing. Everyone must be in good health and not have been in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19. Please sign up for a slot online by Motzei Shabbos at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fhBnGaaLIgwaEUT4rDFUwdVKGz1_U9CeOYD-f_A10iY/edit If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment for another day, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Passover Car Cleaning to Benefit MES – Shine My Ride by Empire www.shinemyride.com is offering special pricing on car detailing and a portion of the proceeds will benefit the Mikvah Emunah Society. Interior Spruce, $35 sedan/coupe, $55 SUV/wagon/crossover/minivan (2 car minimum for mobile service). Deluxe Interior Detail $100 sedan/coupe, $155 SUV/wagon/crossover/minivan. Child Car Seat Cleaning is $20 per seat. NEW Germ & bacteria steam sanitization $50 extra. We can come to you or you can come to us! 5006 Howard Ave. Beltsville, MD. Exterior wash/tire shine add $30, wash and wax add $75. Book your appointment for 3/9 through 3/26 by email email@example.com or call 240-965-6095. For further information (not to book appointments), contact Rhonda Lehman firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-351-1725
Penetrating Thoughts and Practical Perspectives – Thoughts on life, Torah and Middos. Based on Michtav M'Eliyahu, from Rav Eliyahu Dessler, Z”L. Mondays, 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Zoom – Meeting ID: 736 4190 7086, Passcode: torah. Presented by YGW Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
What Happened at Sinai: An Exploration of the Sinai Revelation and the Ten Commandments – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up.”
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE. Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM;
Monday through Friday 6:15 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 6:00 PM.
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:12 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:39 AM, Latest Netz: 6:32 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:20 AM,
Earliest Mincha: 12:50 PM, Earliest Shkia: 6:07 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 6:54 PM
March 12 – 13, 2021 – 29 Adar 5781
Light Candles: 5:54
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 10 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager