Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 13 – 14, 2020 – 18 Adar 5780 – Parshas Ki Sisa/Parah
Light Candles by 6:55 – Havdalah 7:55
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Sandy and Melanie Karlin in commemoration of the third Yahrzeit of Sandy's father, Charles Karlin (Betzalel Reuven ben Rephael Shlomo).
* Ilana & Aaron Branda on the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Adira Bracha. Mazal Tov to Adira Bracha's siblings, grandparents, family and friends that are here to join in the celebration.
* Sarah & David Maslow of Jerusalem on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Yona Simcha, son of Dina & Adam Lancer of Passaic, NJ.
* Sima & Richard Soskin on the Aufruf of their son, Yonah, and his upcoming marriage to Sarah Taber. Mazal Tov to Nechama & Howie Taber and their extended family. Mazal Tov to Yonah's sister and brother-in-law, Eliana & Jesse Shkedy. Mazal Tov to Yonah's grandparents Esther Rosen and Joan & Philip Soskin.
As precautionary measures due to the COVID-19 situation, please note the following temporary changes to YISE events. Additional information will be sent by email and posted on www.yise.org as the situation evolves.
* All Kiddushes have been cancelled.
* All Shabbos Youth Groups and Tot Shabbat have been cancelled.
* The GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch & Learn is learning only, no brunch.
* Several special events sponsored by YISE and community events at YISE have been cancelled or postponed, including:
* Ashley Blaker, Comedian – Motzei Shabbos, March 14
* Misaskim of Greater Washington and the Teitelbaum family Hachnasas Sefer Torah, Sunday, March 15
* Supporting Children who are Struggling in School- Sunday, March 15 at KMS
* Senior Lunch – Wednesday, March 18
Minyan and Shiur schedules remain unchanged at this time. Please continue to be vigilant regarding matters of personal hygiene as previously advised. If you are unwell, please do not enter the Shul or other public places. We urge you to adhere to all medical advice you may receive regarding self-quarantine.
* Light Candles by 6:55
Ashkenazi: 6:55 Sephardi: 6:50 Nusach Sefard: 6:55
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 6:50 Sephardi: 6:35 Nusach Sefard: 6:50
* Shabbos ends: 7:55
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study, will not take place this week.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:05 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, will resume March 22.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. The bagel brunch has been cancelled at this time due to concerns about the spread of COVID-19. Classes from 9:30 AM – 10:15 AM, in the Large Social Hall. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, will resume after Pesach.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah,
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An indepth analysis
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Large Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for men and women, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, in the Social Hall at 7:50 PM.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash.
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruach Minyan – Friday night, March 20, at 7:00 PM sharp. There will be a special children's story program going on during part of the Davening. Bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information, contact email@example.com Pre-Pesach Class with Rabbi Rosenbaum – Monday, March 30, at 8:15 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
YISE Safety Initiative – In view of recent tragedies in our neighborhood in Baltimore, and in New Jersey, we encourage all members to wear reflector belts when walking home from Shul at night. We have a number of reflector belts available to encourage this safety initiative. We are ordering additional belts – 1 per YISE family If possible, please acquire additional reflector belts for your family's use. You can purchase reflector belts or vests online. If you do not currently own any reflector gear, please borrow and return belts that are available in the YISE lobbies.
YISE Membership Directory – YISE will be updating the Membership Directory this spring. Letters were mailed last week with the current information that the Shul has. The request is for each member to review the information and update and return with any corrections or acknowledge that it is correct. If you did not receive the letter, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org and a copy will be emailed to you.
Infant & Child CPR Class – Sunday, March 22, 12 Noon at YISE. This is a full certification class, administered by a trainer from NOVA Cert, LLC. If there is enough interest from teenagers, there will be a concurrent babysitting preparation class, including CPR certification and special training for new babysitters. This class will be infant & child CPR only – no adult CPR will be taught. The (subsidized) cost for the class is $35 per person. Payment may be made by cash, credit card, check, or PayPal. Estimated time is between 3 and 3.5 hours (slightly longer for the babysitting preparation class). Please sign up in advance by emailing LCypess@gmail.com Please specify if you are interested in babysitting preparation.
Camp Shomrai 2020 is open for registration! Programs for campers entering 2-year-old Preschool through 9th grade. Camp Dates: Monday, June 29 – Thursday, August 13. Register online at https://campshomrai.campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at email@example.com
Shomrai Preschool 2020-2021 – Online registration is now open for children ages 2 to 5 years old with customizable extended care options from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM. Visit preschool.yise.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to schedule a tour. Ask about our special, deeply reduced tuition for incoming 2-year-olds!
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Condolences to the family of former YISE member Larry Schindler. The funeral took place on Thursday in New York. Shiva is being observed at the home of Yehuda Schindler, 52 Reeve Pl., Apt. 3, Brooklyn, NY, 11218, phone 917-913-1003.
Tzurba M'Rabanan – text-based Halacha Sefer learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group Oneg at 4:15 PM, class at 4:30 PM, at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road. Each class is independent – drop-ins welcome.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos afternoons at 4:00 PM, will not take place this week.
Spring Boutique – Sunday, March 15, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM at KMS. This event has been postponed as a precautionary measure due to concerns about the spread of COVID-19.
Why are many Jews receptive to anti-Israel perspectives? – Postponed, new date TBD. Sunday, March 15, 7:30 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. Based on his latest book, Identity and Prejudice, Farrell Bloch offers explanations for this troubling development. Join him for discussion of this and related issues. This event has been postponed as a precautionary measure due to concerns about the spread of COVID-19.
Join Nefesh B'Nefesh and come hear from experts to learn what's involved in creating a realistic budget for Aliyah and living in Israel, managing your investments and understanding your taxation issues. Monday, March 16, 7:00 PM – 9:30 PM at DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore North – Pikesville. This event has been postponed as a precautionary measure due to concerns about the spread of COVID-19.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, March 18, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Joel's Women: Joel ben Simeon, the Washington Haggadah and the Ambivalent Feminine – Wednesday, March 18, 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM, with Marc Michael Epstein, professor of religion and visual culture, Vassar College. Inaugural lecture of the Lilian Cohen Solomon Lecture Series presented by the Hebraic Section of the African & Middle Eastern Division of the Library of Congress. Thomas Jefferson Building, Room 119. Passover Haggadot from the collections of the Library of Congress will be on display just before and after the lecture. Light Kosher refreshments will be served. For more information, contact Ann Brener, Hebraic Area Specialist firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-707-4186.
Free Webinars on Federal Jobs – Presented by Kathryn Troutman of Resume Place:
* "Add Leadership ECQs to Your Federal Resume" – Thursday, March 19, 12:00 Noon -12:45 PM, register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ 98806457775
* "10 Steps to a Federal Job" – Thursday, March 26, 12:00 Noon – 12:45 PM, register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/98813191917
* "Federal Resume Writing in the Outline Format" – Tuesday, March 31, register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/98818214941
Pirchei is coming! Calling all boys, first through sixth grade! Pirchei is starting next week, Parshas Vayakhel/Pekudei, March 21, in the classrooms at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. See you there! To join our email list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at email@example.com
Baltimore Shalom Singles Shabbaton in conjunction with Ner Tamid of Greenspring for ages 45+. March 20 – 22. 3 Shabbos meals, home hospitality, interactive fun activities, dating game, speed dating, exciting speakers, featuring Baila Sebrow, an internationally acclaimed motivational speaker, author, events producer, matchmaker and dating coach, Melave Malka, music and food. Sunday Breakfast. Location: Ner Tamid of Greenspring shul. Call Helayne 410-764-3209 or Steve 410-446-8330 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info or go to nertamid.net and click on events to register.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets at the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
The Clothing Exchange – We have a full showroom of children's, women's and men's clothing and coats, offered to the community free of charge. Run by dedicated volunteers, the Clothing Exchange is a place where everyone can feel comfortable shopping and donating new clothing. We're open every Sunday from 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM at the Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd. West, unless otherwise noted. We accept donations of new or like-new Shabbos or business casual clothing in current styles. We only stock items that are new or in pristine condition, as is befitting members of our community. We are not able to accept baby clothing, toys & stuffed animals, housewares, linens, undergarments or shoes.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; email@example.com
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at the YGW at 8:00 PM. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday March 15 Monday March 16 Tuesday March 17 Wednesday March 18 Thursday March 19 Friday March 20
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 7:05 7:05 7:05 7:05 7:05 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:27 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:12 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:48 PM
March 20 – 21, 2020 – 25 Adar 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 7:02 – Havdalah: 8:02
* Light Candles by 7:02
Ashkenazi: 7:05, 7:00 (Ruach) Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 6:55 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:48
Motzei Shabbos, March 14 Ashley Blaker, Comedian, 9:30 PM POSTPONED
Sunday, March 15 Supporting Children who are Struggling in School, 7:15 PM at KMS. POSTPONED
Wednesday, March 18 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon CANCELLED
Friday, March 20 Ruach Minyan, 5:45 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 18 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager