Parshas Ki Sisa/Parah – March 10 – 11, 2023
Download the Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah -Shabbos Shorts
March 10 – 11, 2023 – 18 Adar 5783 – Parshas Ki Sisa/Parah
Light Candles by 5:51 – Havdalah 6:51
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Melanie & Sandy Karlin in memory of Sandy's father, Charles R. Karlin, Betzalel Reuven Ben Rephael Shlomo, Z"L, on his 6th Yahrzeit, 22 Adar,
and by Ruthie & Bill Konick in honor of Marvin Konick's 100th birthday.
* Gigi & Jerry Kaminetzky on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Reva Baila (Bailey), daughter of Jessica & Yehuda Ordan of Far Rockaway, NY. Mazal Tov to grandparents Anna & Shimon Kaminetzky of Atlanta, GA.
* Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum on the birth of a great-grandson, Shalom Mordechai, to grandchildren Ayala & Dov Garfinkel of Beitar, Israel. Mazal Tov to the Garfinkel, Kirshenbaum and Rosenblum Families.
* Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Chaim Diamond, son of Rochel & Mordecai Diamond of Monsey, NY. Mazal Tov to all of the relatives.
* Ruchie & Rabbi Eli Reingold on the birth of a grandson to their son and daughter in law, Batsheva & Elazar Reingold of Yerushalayim.
* Dolores & Len Schwartz on their 65th wedding anniversary.
Minyan locations are B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Light Candles by 5:51
* Mincha: 5:55 (B), 5:45 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:50 (B), 5:45 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends: 6:51
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Postelnek
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Chaim Neustadter on the Yahrzeit of his father, Yisroel Reuven Ben Alexander Sender, Israel Neustadter, Z"L.
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by Ruthie & Bill Konick and family in honor of Marvin Konick's 100th birthday.
* The Sephardic Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Michelle & Yoni Goldstein, along with Ariela and Don Goldstein, in commemoration of the Hilula/Yahrzeit of Yoni's grandfather, Sol Goldstein.
Remember to change your clocks "Spring Forward" one hour on Motzei Shabbos.
* People experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or other transmissible illnesses should not attend prayer, learning, social or other events at the Shul.
* If you have tested positive for COVID-19, please follow CDC guidelines before returning to Shul.
YISE Youth Announcements
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan, led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, meets at 9:15 AM every Shabbos in The House next to the Shul. Kiddush is served after Davening.
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, March 11, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shabbos Group for 5th and 6th Grade Girls will meet inside The House promptly at 10:00 AM. Junior Congregation for boys in grades 4 – 6 with Jay Marcus. Meet in the Lower Lobby at 9:55 and walk to the Yeshiva at 10:00.
Dor L'Dor – The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment! The last session of the season will take place this Motzei Shabbos, March 11, 8:00 PM in the Social Hall. This Dor L'Dor is sponsored by Debi & Max Rudmann in honor of the Yahrzeits of Debi's mom, "Bubby" Irma Charles, Chaya Rivka Bas Leibel, and Debi's brother, Rabbi Moshe Baruch Charles, Moshe Baruch Ben Natan HaKohen. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura on the Parsha, now learning the Kedushas Levi. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Kedushas Levi's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos morning. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Postelnek.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Following the Hashkamah Minyan, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
Seeing the Hand of Hashem in Modern History with Rabbi Rosenbaum, presented by the Meaningful Tefilah Project. Recording available at https://wp.yise.org/hand-of-hashem
New Shabbos Shiur – Beginning next Shabbos, March 18, Rabbi Rosenbaum will give a text-based Parsha shiur 45 minutes before the late Mincha in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. Ask the Rabbi – Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring different Halachic topics! This month's topic, Pesach, will take place on Tuesday, March 21, 8:00 PM – 9:30PM on Zoom A. The first hour is for Shailos submitted in advance and the last 30 minutes is for Q&A. This month's Ask the Rabbi is sponsored by Delia Weiss and family and Miriam & Steve Friedman and family in loving memory of Dr. George Weiss, Gedalya Chaim Ben Avraham Moshe, Z"L, on the occasion of his 6th Yahrzeit. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Good Deeds Day Park Cleanup in the Kemp Mill Park. Do a Mitzvah! Join our park cleanup any time on Sunday, March 26, from12:00 Noon – 2:00 PM. Meet at the steps near CVS. Bags and gloves will be distributed. Great for all ages! Community Service hours available. Good Deeds Day 2023 is produced in partnership with The Jewish Federation. Volunteers will get 10% off at Ben Yehuda Pizza on March 26. Volunteers needed to hand out gloves and bags. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org Sponsored by YISE, KMS, Berman, YGW, Chabad of Silver Spring and Ben Yehuda Pizza in conjunction with Montgomery Parks. See flyer for details.
Monthly Shalosh Seudos – To sponsor, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, ext. 103, or email@example.com Volunteers are needed to set up and clean up. Contact Ethan Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org to be part of the rotation. See flyer for details. Rabbi Koss's Jewish History Class will NOT meet in the month of April this year. Chag Kasher Visameach.
Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. For questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For other questions, contact Seth Katz at email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, provides assistance to families undergoing medical crises. For information, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at https://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur and in memory of parents, Avraham Ben Tzvi HaLevi & Ada Bas Menachem Aryeh, Z"L, and Rabbi Hillel & Mrs. Myrna Klavan, Z"L.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Sheila Gaisin in commemoration of the recent Yahrzeits of her dear parents, Leon Millman & Nora Millman.
* Judy & David Marwick on the occasion of Marvin Konick's 100th birthday on March 11.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Shiur
* Leah Paretzky in commemoration of the Yahrzeit of her father-in-law, HaRav Mordechai Aryeh Ben Koppel.
8:45 AM Shabbos Drasha
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars in honor of Josh Breitstein, whose service to YISE goes way beyond professionalism.
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars in honor of Simi Franco, whose service to YISE goes way beyond professionalism.
* The Gimbel Family L'iluy Nishmas Yonah's grandparents, Yehuda Ben Chaim and Baila Yenta Bas Yitzchak Isaac, on their upcoming Yahrzeits on the 22nd and 26th of Adar.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss in honor of Marvin Konick's 100th birthday.
* Jeffrey & Sharon Augenbaum and family in memory of Jeff's father, Murray Augenbaum, Moshe Yosef Ben Aharon Yaakov, on the occasion of his first Yahrzeit on 16 Adar.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
YISE continues to offer a number of different in-person and virtual learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 6:30 PM (note new time), Zoom A, will not meet on Sunday, March 12, or on Thursday, March 16.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM. Shiurim:
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys – Zoom D.
* SCP (Semichas Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM at YISE. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Register online at https://thegreaterwashingtoncommunitykollel.com/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:22 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Levy at 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 8:45 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", in-person in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom G.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Metzia, Daf 3a.
Wednesday evenings at 8:00 PM on Zoom H.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 or 929-205-6099 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, passcode Winter (phone 667362)
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 849 3898 4989, passcode 161699
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Community Programs & Listings
Kidney Donation Needed – Mr. Gerry Segelman, father of Micah Segelman, is in need of a kidney transplant. If you would consider being a kidney donor, please contact Rabbi Chaim Steinmetza at Renewal for more information at email@example.com or 718-431-9831 ext 209.
TGN Lunch and Learn – Wednesday, March 22, 11:45 AM – 1:00 PM at YISE. For more information or to RSVP by March 15, contact Rabbi Shmuel Leigh: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Israeli Folk Dancing for Women – Wednesday at KMS. Beginners – 7:45 PM – 8:45 PM, Advanced Beginners/Intermediate – 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM. Fee: $5. For more information, contact email@example.com
Rays of Wisdom – Life Lessons From Pirkei Avos – Greater Washington Community Kollel invites women of the community to a weekday morning text-based Chaburah led by Mrs. Channah Cohen. Mondays at 9:30 AM in Kemp Mill. To be added to a list for information and weekly location, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-219-5397.
Please help our community complete these Siyumim:
* Mishnayos for the 1st Yahrzeit of Noah Roitman, Noach Ben Shalom Yaakov, January 4, 23 Tevet -https://www.lzechernishmas.com/signup.php?id=11081
* Mishnayos for the 1st Yahrzeit of Natalie Gabai, Nechama Naomi Bat Leib, December 21, 9 Tevet – https://www.lzechernishmas.com/signup.php?id=11044
* Mishnayos for the 1st Yahrzeit of Jerry Snyder, Yehoshua Ben Binyamin, December 21, 9 Tevet – https://hadranalach.com/2612
* Tanach for the 1st Yahrzeit of Marion Baras, Miriam Bas Menachem, January 1, 20 Tevet – http://hadranalach.com/2626
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, March 15, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Crisis Diplomacy and the Two-Minute Football Drill – Linda Silverman Kahan memorial lecture and brunch, Sunday, March 26, 10:00 AM at Kemp Mill Synagogue. Featuring guest speaker Ambassador Daniel C. Kurtzer. Couvert $54 per person. To register and for sponsorship information, visit https://www.sulam.org/lkm2023
Alshich on the Parsha with Rabbi Levy – Shabbat afternoon between Mincha and Maariv in the Franco Beit Midrash. Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
In G-d We Trust – Exploring the relationship and balance between Relying on G-d/Bitachon & Human Endeavor/Hishtadlus, based on the teachings of 11th century scholar, Rabbeinu Bachya's Treatise on Trust – Shaar Habitachon. Wednesdays, 12:15 PM – 1:00 PM on Zoom, Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. To register, visit https://linksgw.org/classes
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, currently learning Bava Metzia. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner), about 2.5 Daf covered each week.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person, 7:30 AM in the YISE Social Hall.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 6:05 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:33 AM, Latest Netz: 7:25 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 10:15 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:49 PM, Earliest Shkia: 7:11 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 7:58 PM
March 17 – 18, 2023 – 25 Adar 5783
* Light Candles by 6:58, and not before 6:02
* Mincha: 5:45 (Plag, B), 7:00 (B), 6:55 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 6:50 (B), 6:50 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 7:58
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 15, at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager