Included in the PDF are the Likutei Torah, Hamaayan and Israel Report, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 20 – 21, 2021 – 13 Elul 5781 – Ki Seitzei
Light Candles by 7:37 – Havdalah 8:37
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Rita Umlas in honor of her children, Jocey & Steve Thompson, Sophie, Sam & Oliver (& Geddi), making Aliyah. B'hatzlacha!
* Rabbi Harold Axelrod on the 65th anniversary of his Bar Mitzvah.
* Kitty Wertheimer on the birth of a great-grandson to Hilary & Jeremy DuBois and to their parents, Nancy & Jeffrey DuBois, Allison Glickman and Marc Bokoff and their siblings.
* Carole Silvermetz on the passing of her mother, Marilyn Zager. The funeral took place on Sunday.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. All Sephardi Minyanim take place in the Beit Medrash.
* Light Candles by 7:37, and not before 6:31
* Mincha: 6:40 (B), 7:40 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi)
For those who missed Parshas Zachor this past year but currently feel comfortable attending Minyanim, it would be advisable to have in mind the Mitzvah of Zachor when the relevant Pesukim are read at the end of Laining.
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:35 (B), 7:30 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:37
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* 9:15 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Yosef Kalinsky
* 8:45 and 9:15 Kiddush in a Bag is sponsored by Nancy and Bruce James to commemorate the 9th Yahrzeit of Nancy's mother, Mrs. Betty Baum and to celebrate their mutual 39th wedding anniversary with Simi & Sammy Franco – August 22, 1982. Simi Franco is cosponsoring in honor of her husband, Sammy. The cheesecake is dairy and Cholov Yisroel.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups will take place this week from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM, indoors. Masks required indoors for age 3+. Age 18-35 months will be located in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 3-5 years will meet in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Michal Merkin, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Pre-Rosh Hashana Family Apple Picking and Petting Zoo! – Sunday, August 29 – 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM at Homestead Farms. Admission $2 per person, age 1+. Produce is charged on a per pound basis at the end of your visit. RSVP strongly encouraged to email@example.com See flyer for details.
* Masks are required for ALL people in the YISE Arcola building, whether vaccinated or unvaccinated, with the exception of children under the age of 3.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building. There are no in-person Kiddushes at this time.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:00 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Megillas Eichah, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Hillel Shaps – Unraveling the Navi: Melachim Aleph
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361. .
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person (Social Hall) and on Zoom F.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 8:30 PM, Zoom D
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys, will resume after Sukkos.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 8:45 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, now taking place in person in the Social Hall. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com Registration required at gwckollel.org/scp
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, will resume August 24, learning concepts of Elul and Yamim Noraim, Zoom E.
* "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", will resume in the fall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 7th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 8:45 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
YISE Programs and Listings
Swimming on Sunday – Women, girls, and boys under age 5 are invited to splash around with YISE friends at the Parkland Pool on Sunday, August 22, from 10:00am – 11:00am. 1124 Arcola Ave. Entry: $8 per woman $6 per person if multiple people per family swimming, children under age 3 swim free. Children must be accompanied by a female adult. Masks to be worn when not in the pool. See flyer for details.
Let's cook (virtually) with Chef Yehuda Malka – Learn how to prepare tasty and healthy Yom Tov dishes and expand your culinary skills on Sunday, August 22, 7:30 PM. See flyer for menu and other details.
Understanding the 13 Attributes of Mercy – A 3-part series with Rabbi Postelnek, continues on August 22 & 29 at 8:45 PM on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
Order Lulavim and Esrogim from YISE – YISE is working this year with Josh Breitstein to bring you the finest quality Arba Minim sets. Aleph $80, Beis $65, Gimmel $55, Chinuch $36. Order deadline: Friday, September 3. Pickup will be on Sunday, September 19, 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM. Due to COVID-19 concerns, individual selection of Esrogim will not be possible. Order online at www.yise.org/lulav See flyer for details.
High Holiday Babysitting – YISE is pleased to offer High Holiday babysitting on Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. Details at https://wp.yise.org/babysitting Space is limited – first-come, first-served. If you have questions, please contact Michal Merkin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ask the Rabbi – Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring Halachos of Shabbos and holidays! This month's topic: Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Sukkos. Tuesday, August 24, 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM on Zoom A. The first 45 minutes are for Shailos submitted in advance and the last 15 minutes are for Q & A. Send in your questions to: AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, August 22. For more information or to submit questions anonymously, contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 or email@example.com To sponsor the Shiur, contact firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
YISE Regular Board Meeting will take place on Wednesday, August 25, at 8:30 PM on Zoom. For more information, contact email@example.com
Minyan Updates – Thanks to all those who responded to the Cyberbriefs informing us of their interest in restarting one of our minyanim. Unfortunately, at the current time there has not been a sufficient number of people who expressed similar interest. We look forward to the opportunity to resume these minyanim when sufficient interest is expressed. We hope you will be able to meet your needs with our current range of offerings.
Kiddush in a Bag! While we are not yet back to regular in-Shul Kiddushes, we are happy to now offer Kiddush in a Bag for the 8:45 and 9:15 Minyanim. To sponsor the Kiddush in a Bag, contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rabbi Koss's Jewish History Class will not take place in September. It will resume again in October. Shana Tova!
Registration for Shomrai Preschool 2021-2022 is now open! We are excited to be offering a Torah-rich, child-centered program for children entering 2 year-old Nursery – 4 year-old Pre-K. School day runs from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Extended care options available from 7:30 AM -8:30 AM and 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM. Register early for maximum savings! Visit our website for tuition rates and online registration at https://preschool.yise.org/registration For more information about the program email Sarah Dollman at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or PearlBassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
* Simi & Sammy Franco wish Jan Meisler a happy belated birthday and thank him for all of his amazing work on the Aliyah cards!
* Sahra & Yale Ginsburg on their twice Chai anniversary!
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Shabbos Drasha is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's weekday Shiurim did not take place this week as he was on vacation. We look forward to Shiurim, and sponsors, next week.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur
Community Programs & Listings
The Yad Yehuda Clothing Exchange has available hours for all members of the community to shop at no cost the next two Sundays, August 22 and 29, from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM at 1910 University Blvd. West. This is an opportunity for people to come and shop for beautiful, Tzanua clothing in our well-equipped showroom. Everyone must be in good health and not have been in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19. If you have any questions please contact: email@example.com
Open Beit Midrash for Women – Chavrusa style learning for women on Sunday nights at KMS, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the upstairs Beit Midrash. Questions? Contact Ellie Guberman at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Golden Network – Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Birkat Hamazon with Mrs. Esther Dziadek. Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information, call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com
Rosh Hashanah Shofar Blowing 5782/2021 – Do you, or someone you know, need to have the shofar blown this Rosh Hashanah because you can't get to Shul? To arrange for a Shofar blower to visit you at home in Kemp Mill, please call or text Aron Trombka at 301-385-9348 or email firstname.lastname@example.org We are also working with neighborhood shuls to possibly schedule a number of outdoor Shofar blowings in the neighborhood. We will monitor government health regulations and the effect of COVID-19 on the Kemp Mill community and will announce more details before Rosh Hashanah. Contact Aron Trombka if you are interested in volunteering to blow shofar at homes in the Kemp Mill community or at Holy Cross Hospital, if the hospital will allow visitors.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, August 25, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Ko-ach Sports Soccer – Registration is now open. The fun begins October 3with separate leagues for boys and girls K-3rd grade. All games and practices are on Sundays in Silver Spring. Sign up by September 1 to save on registration fees. Sibling discounts! Register and more info. at www.Ko-achSports.com
Yad Yehuda School Supplies Drive – Yad Yehuda is requesting school supply donations. Our fellow community members benefit so much from your donations. All supplies needed but we especially would like donations of new, high quality backpacks! Please donate funds at yadyehuda.org/donate Drop off supplies in Kemp Mill at 1212 North Belgrade Road or 11613 Fulham Street. If you have any questions contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Yad Yehuda Yomim Noraim Appeal – Between Rosh Hashanah and Sukkot, Yad Yehuda plans, B'ezrat Hashem, to distribute over $85,000 to provide Shabbos and Yom Tov meals and Lulav and Etrog sets as needed to households across our community who are struggling financially. These Yom Tov expenses are above and beyond the ongoing financial assistance we provide our recipient households every single month. Please help us bring Simchat Yom Tov to your fellow community members by donating generously at yadyehuda.org
Rosh Hashanah/Yom Kippur/Franco Foundation Appeal – More of our community, hurt by COVID-19, rely on the Foundation to cover basic needs, such as rent, mortgage and utilities. Your entire donations go to support this safety net. Please send today to: The Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring, MD 20902, or through Paypal, at email@example.com Tax ID: 52-2172267
Lulav and Etrog sets – The Franco Foundation will be offering to our local community Lulav and Etrog sets to those who are struggling financially. Please contact Allan Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org Your information will remain confidential.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more information.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? Izun is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Fundamentals of Prayer: High Holidays Edition – Wednesdays August 25 and September 1, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up.”
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:09 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:39 AM, Latest Netz: 6:34 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:49 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:45 PM, Earliest Shkia: 7:44 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 8:35 PM
August 27 – 28, 2021 – 20 Elul 5781
Parshas Ki Savo
Light Candles: 7:27
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 25 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM;
Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager