Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hamaayan, Likutei Torah and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
September 4 – 5, 2020 – 16 Elul 5780 – Parshas Ki Savo
Light Candles by 7:15 – Havdalah 8:12
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on the birth of a greatgranddaughter, born to their grandchildren Chaya (Lerner) & Yeshayahu Pack. Mazal Tov to great-grandmother Dina Rosenbaum and to grandparents Devorah & Rabbi Ezra Lerner and Yocheved & Rabbi Yosef Pack.
* Yoni Mehlman, son of Nancy & Pesach Mehlman, on completing his PhD in electrical engineering at Princeton University.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the birth of a great-granddaughter. Mazel Tov to the parents, Chaya & Zevy Tendler, and the grandparents Debra & Reuven Meth.
* Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum on the marriage of their grandson, Barry Rosenblum, to Ruth Maouda of Los Angeles, CA.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
* Light Candles by 7:15, and not before Plag, 6:12
* Mincha: 6:00, 7:20, 6:20 (Sephardi)
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (7:33 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (6:12 PM).
* Shacharis: 6:30, 7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 10:35 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 4:30, 6:30, 6:30 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:12
* High Holiday Registration – The registration form is at https://www.yise.org/hhreg This is separate from (and more detailed than) the original survey. The form is interactive – you will not see the "Submit" button until all required fields, marked in red, are completed. If you have questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original registration form, please send an email to email@example.com with details.
* All other activities at YISE are cancelled, including Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary. Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and updated times, go to https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays andFridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua,Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, will resume September 23.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org Zoom B.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom C.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom H.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, Zoom G.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom D (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom C.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics, Zoom I
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 7:30 PM
* For Women – will resume after Sukkos.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver. For more information, please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom J.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 784 431 8176
Zoom C: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
Zoom F: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom G: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
Zoom H: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom I: ID: 977 463 8680, password GWCK
Zoom J: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
YISE Programs and Listings
* Order your Lulavim & Esrogim and support YISE – Order online at www.yise.org/lulav Order deadline: Wednesday, September 16. See flyer for details.
* Review of Hilchos Sukkah – Rabbi Rosenbaum will give a Shiur on Halachos of Sukkah construction on Sunday, September 6, at 11:00 AM on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
Come join Rabbi Koss's monthly Jewish History class now on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, September 7, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom. Connection Details: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87176978136?pwd=UCtwNGVSMHE3ckgrcktSWjJiZzk3QT09 Meeting ID – 871 7697 8136, password 329598 phone number: 301-715-8592. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rosh Hashanah Mussaf: Just You & Hashem – a shiur by Rabbi Rosenbaum, will take place on Sunday, September 13, from 11:00 AM to noon on Zoom A. For more info, contact email@example.com See flyer for details.
Save the date! Pre-Rosh Hashana Kumzitz with Simcha Leiner on Zoom, Wednesday, September 16. Sponsorships are available, please contact the YISE office at firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. See flyer for details.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Condolences to former member Rabbi Dovid Niman on the loss of his mother, Rebbetzin Shaindel Niman. Burial took place on Friday in Israel. Rabbi Niman will be observing Shiva through Wednesday morning, September 9, at 141-08 73rd Avenue, Flushing, NY. He can be reached during Shiva at 240-483-2343 or email@example.com
Tekias Shofar: Practical Halachos of Shofar Blowing – Kollel Zichron Amram Federal Holiday Learning Program – Labor Day, Monday, September 7, 9:45 AM – 10:45 AM. Shiur by Rabbi Eli Reingold, accompanied by live demonstrations from Rabbi Akiva Leiman. Zoom Meeting ID: 831 5035 7654, password 1216613.
Closing the Loop: Relating Daf Yomi to the Modern Urban Eruv – The Silver Spring Eruv Association presents an audiovisual presentation by Shlomo Katz, President of the SSEA and leader of the Daf Yomi group at SEHC. Monday, September 7, 8:00 PM. This program is open to anyone, but it is geared toward Daf Yomi participants studying Tractate Eruvin and, will assume some prior knowledge. A more general program will be offered at a later date, IY"H. Zoom Meeting ID: 829 557 5814, passcode: 613613. A recording of the program will be made available.
Journey to Virtue: Self-Development through Jewish Study – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Discover the great wisdom of the Jewish tradition to help you reach your full potential, enhance your relationships, and live life with greater meaning! Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. The journey continues. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Yom Tov Appeal Sustains Community Safety Net – The Franco Foundation needs your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests by individuals and families in our community unable to make ends meet, and hurt by the COVID plague's impact on our local economy. The Foundation helps with life essentials, like rent, mortgage, utilities and food. Over the years, The Franco Foundation has helped hundreds of families and individuals facing financial crisis and continues to do so with the help and commitment from our community. Mail donations to Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or send through PayPal at firstname.lastname@example.org
Kemp Mill Communal Shofar Blowing – For those who will not be able to attend a minyan on Rosh Hashanah, Kemp Mill's shuls are organizing Shofar blowings at outdoor locations throughout the community on Sunday, September 20, the second day of Rosh Hashanah. A list of times and locations are attached, along with procedures for making this experience safe. Shofar blowing will also be arranged for those unable to leave their home; please contact Aron Trombka at email@example.com or 301-385-9348 by September 13.
Silver Spring Eruv Association Annual Appeal – SSEA is now an IRS 501(c)(3) organization. Donations made directly to SSEA will now be tax deductible to the maximum extent permitted by law. Details of the appeal are on www.yise.org/eruv Donations may be made using the Eruv PayPal button on that page or by mail to SSEA, 707 Lamberton Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20902.
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, September 9, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them Daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up.”
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Monday, September 7 – Labor Day
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE. Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM; Monday through Friday 6:00 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM.
Mincha and/or Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 6:30 PM/6:45 PM (Sephardi Selichot)/7:15 PM/9:30 PM.
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:55 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:53 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:38 PM
September 11 – 12, 2020 – 23 Elul 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 7:04
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 9 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Closed Monday – Labor Day
Tuesday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager
Virtual High Holy Day Sponsorships
Help support YISE with Virtual High Holy Day Sponsorships:
* Virtual Rosh Hashanah/Yom Kippur Seats ($120)
* Virtual Appeal ($180)
* Virtual Kibud ($100)
Other donation amounts will be gratefully received. All "Virtual High Holiday Sponsorships" above $100 will be acknowledged both in a display in Shul and via an official YISE communication. Details at:
All submissions are due by September 11. Please contact the office with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org Virtual Seat Sponsorships are separate from registering for physical seats, which can be reserved at https://www.yise.org/hhreg
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com – Sponsor name, Birthday or anniversary date, Name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Chumash Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Silver's Tuesday Evening Parsha Shiur
* Rabbi Silver's Daily Chizuk Dose on WhatsApp
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Silver's Tuesday Night Shiur
* Jonathan and Marilyn Fine in honor of Rabbi Binyamin Silver and in gratitude for all the years of Shiurim that he gave.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray for a Refuah Sheleima to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all who attend the shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Parsha Drasha
* Simi and Sammy Franco in honor of Rabbi and Mrs. Binyamin and Estee Silver with much gratitude for all they have done for our Kehilla and community.
* Bobbi and Jules Meisler to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Bobbi's father, Julius Altman, Yehudah ben Mordechai, on the 18th of Elul.