Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
September 20 – 21, 2019 – 21 Elul 5779 – Parshas Ki Savo
Light Candles by 6:50 – Havdalah 7:47
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Judy and Howard Wasserman in honor of the marriage of their son, Nathan, to Miriam Katz Mosbacher, daughter of Bruce Eli Mosbacher and Joan Katz of West Rogers Park, Chicago. Mazal Tov to brother Craig Wasserman and the extended Mosbacher – Katz families.
* Eva & Ben Bazian on the birth of Rafi's baby sister, Rena Miriam. Mazal Tov to parents Jessica & Sam Bazian of Baltimore, MD, and to grandparents Edna & Ervin Kowitz of Baltimore, MD. Rena is also welcomed by her aunts, uncles, cousins, and many more.
* Rosanne & Howard Benn on the engagement of their granddaughter, Yocheved, daughter of Miriam (Michelle Benn) & Rabbi Dovid Lipman of Beitar Illit, Israel to Ellie Teller, son of Aidel & Rabbi Hanoch Teller of Jerusalem, Israel.
* Yael & Rabbi Ranon Cortell on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Binyamin. Mazal Tov to grandparents Harriett Cortell, Cheryl Epstein, and Suri Rabinovici.
* Nechama & Ted Goodman on the birth of two grandchildren in Tammuz: Lehava Chaya to Sivan & Ephraim and Yoseph Leib to Rachel & Yoni. Mazal Tov to Yoseph Leib's silblings, to Uncle Eli Goodman and the rest of the family.
* Debi & Max Rudmann on the marriage of their daughter, Ateret, to Yosef Feldman, son of Leah & Eli Feldman of Baltimore. Mazal Tov also to siblings, Aaron Paine and Elyse Gabay and families. The wedding took place last Sunday, September 15, in Baltimore.
* Wendee & Dr. Jack Rutner on the engagement of their granddaughter Elana, daughter of Juliet & Dr. Torin Rutner of West Orange, NJ, to Evan, son of Shelley & Michael Lebor of Lawrence, NY. Mazal Tov to all of Elana's and Evan's siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Wendee & Dr. Jack Rutner on the selection of their daughter Bracha Rutner as Yoetzet Halacha for Greater Philadelphia and South Jersey.
* Judy & Howard Wasserman on the marriage of their son Nathan, to Miriam Katz Mosbacher, daughter of Joan Katz and Bruce Eli Mosbacher of West Rogers Park, Chicago. Mazal Tov to brother Craig Wasserman and to the extended Mosbacher – Katz families.
* Light Candles by 6:50
Ashkenazi: 6:50 Sephardi: 6:45 Nusach Sefard: 6:50
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 6:45 Sephardi: 6:30 Nusach Sefard: 6:45
* Shabbos ends: 7:47
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Shula and Popi Eloul in memory of Alis Bat Harav Elazar and Refael Ben Chasiba Knafo, and by Liora Dahan in memory of her father, Chaim Ben Avraham.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Yael & Rabbi Ranon Cortell in honor of Binyamin's Bar Mitzvah.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 5:45 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Social Hall.
Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women – new topic: A 2nd Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, in the Social Hall at 7:45 PM.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for Pre-Rosh Hashana groups: See flyer for details.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
Middle School Girls Pre-Rosh Hashana Baking – Sunday, September 22, 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM in the Social Hall. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project – Pre-Yamim Noraim Program, Motzei Shabbos, September 21, 10:30 PM. See flyer for details.
Selichos Schedule – On Motzei Shabbos, following the Pre-Selichos program and Kumsitz, there will be a brief Shiur with Rabbi Rosenbaum at 12:45 AM, followed by Selichos at 1:00 AM. On Sunday morning, the first Ashkenazi Minyan will take place at 6:00 AM with Selichos followed immediately by Shacharis, the second Ashkenazi Minyan will take place at 7:00 AM with Selichos followed by Shacharis no earlier than 7:35 AM, and the 8:45 AM will not include Selichos. Beginning Monday, all Ashkenazi morning Minyanim will have Selichos at the listed time, followed immediately by Shacharis.
Pre-Rosh Hashanah BMZG Community Shiur for men and women with Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky. Tuesday, September 24, 8:00 PM in the Social Hall. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Siddurim & Chumashim that are falling apart, missing pages, pages that are worn out and tear when you turn the page? Please place in the last row of the Belonofsky Sanctuary and in the last row in the Balcony.
Shomrai Preschool Presents Pre-Rosh Hashannah Shabbos Party! Friday, September 27, 9:45 AM – 10:45 AM at Shomrai Preschool 811 University Blvd W. Parents/caregivers and children up to age 3 are welcome to join us at Shomrai Preschool for music, singing, Challah dough shaping, and a special Shabbos snack! Please RSVP to Suri Kinzbrunner at email@example.com We look forward to seeing you there!
High Holiday Seating Information was mailed this week. If you do not receive the letter by the end of the week, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org and a copy will be emailed to you. If you have not reserved your seat, there is no better time than now. Send your request to email@example.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, October 7, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman for more information – 301-754-1517.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs and Listings
Hachnasat Orchim Kemp Mill (H.O.K.M.), in partnership with Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington, is being launched to pair hosts with Kemp Mill individuals who wish to be hosted for Shabbat and Yom Tov meals, so everyone has the opportunity to share Seudot with others. To host or to be hosted, please create a login at SeudaFinder.com Registered hosts will be notified via email of guests available for hosting. Registered guests may request hosting by members of our community. For information, visit SeudaFinder's FAQ page. Serena Kalish, Miriam Levson, Chayie Chinn – Initiative Chairs (Please note that YISE will also continue its own Hospitality Program focused on out-of-town guests, newcomers, and coordinating Seudot for Sukkos and Pesach).
Shabbos afternoon Shiur at University Towers – 1121 University Blvd W, Apt 516, on Shabbos, September 21, at 4:30 PM.
Tzurba M'Rabanan learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group at 4:45 PM at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road.
Pirchei – Calling all boys, first through sixth grade! Pirchei takes place every Shabbos at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. See you there! To join our email list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Pre-Selichos Leil Iyun – Motzei Shabbos, September 21, 9:15 PM – 11:00 PM at the YGW's Girls Campus, 2010 Linden Lane Silver Spring, MD 20910. Open to women, alumnae, and Talmidos in the community. To RSVP or for questions contact the YGW office 301-962-5111 ext. 1500 or email@example.com
LinkedIn Head Shots – In cooperation with Kemp Mill JobAssist, Dovid Fisher, local photographer and videographer, will take free LinkedIn head shots on Sunday, September 22, between 2:30 and 4:00 PM, in the Small Social Hall. To reserve your specific time slot, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, September 25, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Ovadia Hayat at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Wednesday night, September 25, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road.
In-Home Shofar Blowing – Do you, or someone you know, need to have the shofar blown this Rosh Hashanah because you can't get to Shul? To arrange for a Shofar blower to visit you at home, in Kemp Mill, please contact Aron Trombka at 301-681-3025, or email@example.com
Harvey Paretzky Memorial Scholarship Fund – The Paretzky family is proud to announce the inauguration of a scholarship fund, which will award merit-based scholarships for high school seniors who will study in Israel. Help make this initiative a success, L'ilui Nishmas our beloved Rafael Yisrael Chaim ben Harav Mordechai Aryeh, Z"L. Checks should be made out and mailed to: Congregation Ohr Torah, 48 Edgemount Road, Edison, NJ 08817, with a memo on the check for the "Harvey Paretzky Memorial Scholarship Fund". For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Phil Rosen 732-816-1616.
Eruv Appeal – The annual appeal to raise funds for the operation and maintenance of the White Oak-Northwood-Kemp Mill-Wheaton Eruv has been mailed. But, even if you did not receive the appeal in the mail, you can still support the Eruv. The requested donation is $54 per household (smaller or larger donations are gratefully accepted). Donations should be made only by check and mailed only to Eruv Fund, 707 Lamberton Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20902. To be tax deductible, the check should be payable to "YISE Eruv Fund." (Note that YISE makes 100% of these funds available to the Silver Spring Eruv Association for the Eruv.) Currently, we are not able to accept donations electronically. The annual appeal document is on the Eruv's web site www.yise.org/eruv Thank you for supporting the Eruv.
Need Help Building Your Sukkah? – Have no fear, the Berman Seniors are here! Prices vary based on size and material. To sign up or if you have any questions, contact email@example.com
Men's Mikvah for Erev Rosh Hashana and Erev Yom Kippur – The Mikvah Emunah Society is pleased to announce that the Wallerstein Mikvah, 913 Grays Lane, will be open for men's use on Erev Rosh Hashana, Sunday, September 29, and Erev Yom Kippur, Tuesday, October 8, from 7:30 AM – 2:30 PM. Please arrive no later than 2:15 PM. Please bring your own towel. Showering beforehand would be appreciated and helpful. Fees: $20 each time for men. $10 each time for children and full-time students. Cash or checks only. Full Members of MES ($360 or more per year) are entitled to free use. Additional contributions to support MES are appreciated. Our famous "bend and bow" kneeling cloths (V'anachnu Korim) to put on the floor to use during the High Holiday Davening will once again be for sale at the Mikvah for $18 each or 2 for $30. Volunteers are needed: If you can help out on either day at the Wallerstein Mikvah, please contact Howie Schulman – firstname.lastname@example.org
Yom Tov Appeal Sustains Community Safety Net – The Franco Foundation needs your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests. The Foundation helps with life essentials, like rent, mortgage, utilities and food. Over the years The Franco Foundation has helped hundreds of families and individuals facing financial crisis and continues to do so with the help and commitment from our community. The Foundation is a tax deductible charitable corporation. Mail donations to Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through Paypal to email@example.com
Sefer Torah for Misaskim of Greater Washington – Misaskim provides families with all that is necessary for Shiva. It does not, however, have its own Sefer Torah for use exclusively in Shiva homes. Providing a Sefer Torah has strained the resources of our shuls, especially when there are multiple Shiva homes. Rabbi Zvi and Mrs. Esti Teitelbaum have launched a campaign to raise funds for a Sefer Torah in memory of their daughter, Chayala,A"H., who was Nifteres several months ago. For more information and to donate, please visit SeferTorahForChayala.com
SEHC S'chach Sale – Southeast Hebrew Congregation presents its annual S'chach Sale. Fresh cut evergreen. Beautiful sukkah covering and natural bee repellent. Leafy evergreen, no pine needles. Pick-up locations in MD, DC and VA from Sunday October 6 until Sukkos. Cost: $26 per bale. Delivery for large orders only, $40 delivery charge. 8' x 8' Sukkah – 5 bales recommended. 8' x 12' sukkah – 7 bales recommended. To place your order, contact Charlie Ruchelman at 301-318-1545 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Zichron Amram and Mesorah Women's Learning Institute present: Discussions of Elul and Yamim Noraim from Michtav M'Eliyahu – the penetrating thoughts and practical perspectives of Rav Eliyahu Dessler, ZT"L. Experience how Rav Dessler's thoughts can provide us with a deeper look at Torah, life, and ourselves. For men: Thursdays at 8:00 PM at the Yeshiva of Greater Washington. For women: 8:00 PM on Mondays at the home of Mrs. Helene Goodman, 10711 Stoneyhill Drive.
Free 50+Expos – This year's 50+Expos will feature more than 75 government, non-profit and business exhibitors, health screenings (in MD: blood pressure, balance, bone density, glaucoma, skin cancer), flu, pneumonia, tetanus and Shingrix vaccines (bring your Medicare/insurance cards), keynote speaker, live entertainment, giveaways and door prizes. Attend either on Sunday, September 22, from noon to 4:00 PM at Springfield Town Center in Springfield, VA, or on Sunday, October 6, from noon to 4:00 PM at the Silver Spring Civic Center in downtown Silver Spring. For more information or to volunteer, email email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the YISE late Mincha.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; firstname.lastname@example.org
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday September 22 Monday September 23 Tuesday September 24 Wednesday September 25 Thursday September 26 Friday September 27
Ashkenazi 6:00, 7:00, 8:45 5:45, 6:15, 7:00, 8:15 6:00, 6:25, 7:05, 8:15 6:00, 6:25, 7:00, 8:15 5:45, 6:15, 7:00, 8:15 6:00, 6:25, 7:00, 8:15
Sephardi 7:30* 6:10*, 7:15 6:15*, 7:15 6:15*, 7:15 6:10*, 7:15 6:15*, 7:15
Ashkenazi 6:45 6:45 6:45 6:45 6:45 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 6:40* 6:40* 6:40* 6:40* 6:40*
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:09 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:58 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:31 PM
* Sephardi Selichot 50 minutes before 1st Shacharit, 50 minutes before Mincha
September 27 – 28, 2019 – 28 Elul 5779
Light Candles: Friday by 6:39 – Havdalah: 7:36
* Light Candles by 6:39
Ashkenazi: 6:40 Sephardi: 6:35 Nusach Sefard: 6:40
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 6:35 Sephardi: 6:20 Nusach Sefard: 6:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:36
Motzei Shabbos, Sept. 21 Pre-Selichos Program, 10:30 PM
Sunday, September 22 Middle School Girls Baking, 12:30 PM
Wednesday, September 25 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 8:00 PM
Monday, October 7 Rabbi Frand Annual Teshuva Drasha, 8:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 25 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-55c61 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager