Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
September 16 – 17, 2022 – 21 Elul 5782 – Parshas Ki Savo
Light Candles by 6:56 – Havdalah 7:53
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss in memory of their fathers, Morris David Koss and Arthur Blumenthal, on their 55th and 25th Yahrzeits on the 25th of Elul,
and by Nancy Karkowsky in gratitude to all those that helped make a Minyan, set up the Minyan, arranged meals, contributed to food, paid a Shiva call and expressed their condolences during her Shiva for her mother, Beatrice Herskovitz, Z"L.
• Kitty Wertheimer on the birth of a great-granddaughter. Mazal Tov to parents Iris & Rafi Cohen, big sister Eve and to grandparents, Irene & Barry Wertheimer and Yvonne & David Cohen.
Minyan locations are B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Light Candles by 6:56, and not before 5:57
* Mincha: 5:40 (Plag, B), 7:00 (B), 7:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 6:55 (B), 6:50 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends: 7:53
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush Group.
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by the Shul Kiddush Group.
* Pre-Selichos Kumsitz in the Social Hall, 11:30 PM, See flyer for details.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will speak at 12:45 AM, followed by Selichos at 1:00 AM, in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
* Any person eligible for a fully FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine (16 years of age or older), but who chooses to not be vaccinated may attend YISE Minyanim and events with the following guidelines. Unvaccinated individuals must remain masked at all times while in the Shul building, including at Kiddushes and/or other events containing food. Masks may not be removed to eat or drink. Exceptions will be made for private functions being held at the Shul, but that are not Shul sponsored events.
* Anyone with any of the following symptoms should not come to shul: fever of 100.4 degrees or higher, chills, muscle aches, sore throat, severecough, headache, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose, or new loss of sense of taste or smell. If you have tested positive for COVID, you should follow the CDC guidelines.
* Masks are now optional for vaccinated adults and for children under 16.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Youth Announcements
YISE Teen Minyan Boys' Friday Night Oneg – Come spend time with friends, sing, and enjoy Shabbos together. Friday night, September 16, 9:30 PM at 912 Hyde Road. See flyer for details.
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan, led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, meets at 9:15 AM every Shabbos in The House next to the Shul. Kiddush is served after davening.
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, September 10, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Girls ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. The boys ages 6 – 9 group will not meet this Shabbos, September 17. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at at email@example.com
Shabbos Group for 5th and 6th Grade Girls will gather in the front yard of The House next to the Shul promptly at 10 am and go inside together. See flyer for details.
Junion Congregation – Jay Marcus, new YISE Youth Activities Director, is starting a Junior Congregation for boys in grades 4 – 6 this Shabbos. Meet in the Lower Lobby at 9:55 and walk to the Yeshiva at 10:00.
Calling All Rising 5th and 6th Grade Boys!! Rabbi Rosenbaum is learning weekly with rising 5th and 6th grade boys one hour before Mincha in the YISE Social Hall. Bring your hard questions! Refreshments will be served. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos morning. The Shiur will be given by Rabbi Rosenbaum this Shabbos. Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman will give the Gemara Shiur after the Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash.
High Holiday Seat Information – An email with seat information was sent this week to everyone that had requested/reserved High Holiday seats. If you did not receive the email and did reserve seats, please check your spam/junk/bulk folder. If it is not there, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org and a copy will be sent to you.
Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. If you have questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For other questions contact Seth Katz at email@example.com
Lessons from the Life and Death of Elisha Ben Avuyah, a Sage Turned Heretic – A two-part series by Rabbi Postelnek. Part two on Monday, September 19, at 8:30 PM. In person in the Sephardi Beit Medrash and on Zoom A. Recording at https://wp.yise.org/elishabenavuya See flyer for details.
Lulavim & Esrogim – Order online at www.yise.org/lulav Deadline September 25. See flyer for details.
Pruzbul – Rabbi Rosenbaum is organizing Bais Din sessions for people to arrange a Pruzbul, the document which allows someone to collect loans that were due after Rosh Hashanah this year. Sessions are scheduled for Sunday, September 18 following the 7:00 Minyan (approximately 8:30) and following the 8:45 Minyan (approximately 9:30), and at 12 noon, and Sunday, September 25 (Erev Rosh Hashanah) after the 7:00 and 8:00 Minyanim. Those unable to attend any of these sessions should please consult the Cyberbrief for a document that can be sent to the Bais Din.
Annual Teshuva Drasha with Rabbi Yissocher Frand, Monday, October 3, 8:30 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. See flyer for details.
Pre-Selichos Kumsitz – Join us for soulful singing and be inspired on the first night of Selichos. Music by local band Naaleh, with inspiring words by Rabbi Rosenbaum and Rabbi Postelnek. Motzei Shabbos, September 17, 11:30 PM – 12:45 AM in the Social Hall. Dairy and Pareve refreshments will be served. Sponsors welcome. See flyer for details.
Pre-Rosh Hashana Family Apple Picking – Sunday, September 18, 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM at Homestead Farms in Poolesville. $3 per person. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Living Shabbos – Join YISE young professionals for a series on the laws of Shabbos with Rabbi Postelnek. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman, 11611 Kemp Mill Road. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group contact Rabbi Postelnek at email@example.com Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/living-shabbos See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, October 3, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more info., contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Kiddush Volunteers Needed from ALL Minyanim to help set up and clean up for Kiddushes on Shabbos morning. Times vary. Let us know when you are available. Contact Barbara Price at 301-332-8181.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, has a current need at this time. Please sign to volunteer if you can. For more information or if you need help signing up, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Shiur
* Tenise & Joel Becker for the Aliyas Nishama of Liz Kruger, Chana Kayla Bas Yaakov Yehuda.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Yocheved & Rabbi Haim Arzouan in memory of their son, Gavriel Yehuda Ben HaRav Chaim, Z"L, on his 19th Yahrzeit.
* Miriam & Jeff Zuckerman in honor of the engagement of their son Eliezer Zuckerman to Rina Breger.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
4. Yom Tov Drasha Sponsorships are $72 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:45 PM (note new time), Zoom A, will not meet on Monday, September 19.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resume Sunday, October 2.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A, will resume Friday, October 7.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men -Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM Shiurim:
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – Zoom D.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter, is on summer break.
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Levy 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "Yamim Noraim and the Parsha", inperson in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom H.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Metzia. Wednesday evenings, 8:15 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Rachel Bassan Horowitz Memorial Fund
Rachel Bassan Horwitz, a 32-year-old mother of three small boys, came to the United States from Israel for a hoped-for, life-saving transplant. However, Rachel passed away in February 1994. She grew up in Silver Spring and the community set up a fund in her memory to be used to help individuals with MEDICAL needs. We have distributed thousands and thousands of dollars to individuals living in our area as well as in communities in both the US and Israel requiring financial assistance with medical needs. Our funds are depleting and in order for us to continue this much needed Medical Needs Fund, we need your financial assistance. We hope we can count on you. Your support is critical.
Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to Young Israel Shomrai Emunah (YISE) Charity SPECIAL Fund, mark for Bassan Fund. Send to: Howard Schulman, 707 Lamberton Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20902. For further information, call Howard Schulman at 301-213-2429. Norma Burdett and Pearl Bassan may also answer some questions about the Bassan Fund.
Community Programs & Listings
Kemp Mill Outdoor and At-Home Shofar Blowing – Monday, September 26 and Tuesday, September 27. See flyer for details.
Kidney Donation Needed – Mr. Gerry Segelman, father of Micah Segelman, is in need of a kidney transplant. If you would consider being a kidney donor, please contact Rabbi Chaim Steinmetz at Renewal for more information at email@example.com or 718-431-9831 ext 209.
It's Never Too Late to Change – An evening of Pre-Rosh Hashanah inspiration with Rabbi Yechiel Spero. Wednesday, September 21, at 8:00 PM at SEHC. 10900 Lockwood Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20901.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, September 21, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Erev Yom Tom Mikvah for Men – The Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington is pleased to offer use of the Wallerstein Mikvah in Kemp Mill to men, on Erev Rosh Hashanah and Erev Yom Kippur. Volunteers are needed as well. Please see https://mikvahemunah.com/men for all the info.
Sukkah Building – The YGW Boys' senior class of 2023 is building and taking down Sukkahs to raise money for their Israel trip. For times and prices, contact email@example.com or text (240)-381-1802.
Yad Yehuda Yamim Nora'im Appeal – Yad Yehuda plans to spend over $90,000 to feed hundreds of individuals in need across our community on Shabbat and Yom Tov between Rosh Hashanah and Sukkot, and provide Lulav & Esrog sets as needed. These expenditures are beyond the assistance we provide recipient households each month. You can help bring Simchas Yom Tov to your neighbors by donating generously at www.yadyehuda.org
Franco Foundation Rosh Hashanah/Yom Kippur Appeal – The Franco Foundation reaches individuals and families in our community unable to make ends meet. Over the years, and entirely with our local community's support, the Foundation has provided a safety net to cover their basic needs. The Foundation absorbs all administrative expenses, so your entire contribution goes to those in need. Please send your tax-deductible donation today to: The Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring, MD 20902 or through PayPal, at firstname.lastname@example.org Tax ID: 52-2172267. You can also email Allan at email@example.com
Yom Tov Food Drive – Please contribute food to the Capital Kosher Pantry's Pre-Rosh Hashanah Food Drive. Suggested items include honey bears, grape juice, soup mix, gefilte fish, pareve chocolate chips, canned olives, Yahrzeit candles, Shabbos candles, tea lights and Havdalah candles. Drop off at Shalom Kosher, Moti's Market, KMS, YISE or at the Capital Kosher Pantry, 1910 University Blvd. W., Silver Spring, MD 20902.
Alshich on the Parsha with Rabbi Levy – Shabbat afternoon between Mincha and Maariv in the Franco Beit Midrash.
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, which began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person 1-1/2 hours before the main YISE Mincha, at the Yeshiva.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
* Sunday Shacharis: 6:00 Selichos followed by 6:30 Shacharis; 7:00 Selichos followed by 7:30 Shacharis; 8:45 Shacharis only, no Selichos.
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:38 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:06 AM, Latest Netz: 6:58 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:57 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:33 PM, Earliest Shkia: 7:01 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 7:52 PM
September 23 – 24, 2022 – 28 Elul 5782, Parshas Nitzavim
* Light Candles by 6:45, but not before 5:47
* Mincha: 5:30 (Plag, B), 6:45 (B), 6:45 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 6:40 (B), 6:35 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 7:42
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 21 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager