Included in the PDF are the Likutei Torah, Hamaayan, Israel Report and Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 27 – 28, 2021 – 20 Elul 5781 – Ki Savo
Light Candles by 7:27 – Havdalah 8:26
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Eva & Ben Bazian on the engagement of their daughter, Shira, to Jared Ebrahimoff, son of Alyssa & Ari Ebrahimoff of Scarsdale, NY. Mazal Tov to siblings, Shoshana & Doni Moskowitz, Zachary, Rebecca and Maya; Jessica & Sam Bazian, Rafi and Rena; Sara & Ben Baliti, and Gaby.
* Gigi & Jerry Kaminetzky on the engagement of their granddaughter, Daniella Kaminetzky, daughter of Jill & Noam Kaminetzky of Florida to Jacob Schulman, son of Drs. Randi & Jason Schulman of Hollywood, FL.
* Gigi & Jerry Kaminetzky on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Sam Kaminetzky, son of Anna & Shimon Kaminetzky of Atlanta, GA.
* Ruchie & Rabbi Eli Reingold on the birth of a grandson to their son and daughter in law, Batsheva & Elazar Reingold of Yerushalayim.
* Diana & Leonard Ruchelman on the engagement of their granddaughter, Ilana Ruchelman, to Akiva Mase. Mazal Tov to parents Cindy & Charles Ruchelman and Dana & Barry Mase.
* Marilyn & Don Schwartz on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Shira Batya. Mazal tov to the proud parents Ariella & Ari Pantiliat of Teaneck, NJ, to the new grandparents, Chaya & Joseph Schwartz, also of Teaneck, and to the entire Mishpacha.
* The family of Rebbetzin Myrna Klavan on her passing. The funeral took place on Friday. The burial is scheduled to take place at Eretz Hachaim cemetery in Beit Shemesh on Sunday evening. Shiva is being observed at 1006 Lamberton Drive through Thursday morning. Selichos followed by Shacharis, Sunday through Thursday: 7:00 AM. Mincha/Maariv, Sunday through Wednesday: 7:20 PM.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. All Sephardi Minyanim take place in the Beit Medrash.
* Light Candles by 7:27, and not before 6:23
* Mincha: 6:30 (B), 7:30 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:25 (B), 7:20 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:26
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 and 9:15 Kiddush in a Bag is sponsored by the 8:45 Haimish Kiddush Group.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will speak at 1:00 AM, followed by Selichos at 1:10 AM, in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups will take place this week from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM, indoors. Masks required indoors for age 3+. Age 18-35 months will be located in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 3-5 years will meet in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Michal Merkin, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Pre-Rosh Hashana Family Apple Picking and Petting Zoo! – Sunday, August 29 – 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM at Homestead Farms. Admission $2 per person, age 1+. Produce is charged on a per pound basis at the end of your visit. RSVP strongly encouraged to email@example.com See flyer for details.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday Monday through Friday 9:30 AM, Zoom A. Note new time. This Shiur will not meet on Monday, August 30.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:00 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Hillel Shaps – Unraveling the Navi: Melachim Aleph
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361. .
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person (Social Hall) and on Zoom F.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 8:30 PM, Zoom D
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys, will resume after Sukkos.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 8:45 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, now taking place in person in the Social Hall. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com Registration required at gwckollel.org/scp
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Monday – Parasha, Tuesday – Halachos, 8:45 AM, Zoom B. Note new time.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, will resume August 24, learning concepts of Elul and Yamim Noraim, Zoom E.
* "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", will resume in the fall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 7th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 8:45 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
* Masks are required for ALL people in the YISE Arcola building, whether vaccinated or unvaccinated, with the exception of children under the age of 3.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building. There are no in-person Kiddushes at this time.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Programs and Listings
Rosh Hashanah Gift Bags – Join YISE in wishing everyone a Shana Tova by sponsoring a gift bag for local members. Sponsorship opportunities available: Shofar $500, Platinum $250, Gold $180, Silver $100, Bronze $50, Greetings $36. All information must be received by Wednesday, September 1, at 10:00 AM. Pay via PayPal at https://wp.yise.org/giftbag or send a check to the YISE office. with wording of sponsorship to firstname.lastname@example.org A list of all sponsorships will be included with the gift bags. Please email email@example.com if you can help with delivery.
High Holiday Updates – Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we will not be able to offer an outdoor option for Davening for the High Holidays. For the High Holidays only, the Baal Tefilah will NOT be required to wear a mask. This is in accordance with the opinion of our medical adviser, as well as in accordance with the current Montgomery County restrictions. Appropriate precautions will be taken.
Selichos Schedule – On Motzei Shabbos, there will be a brief Shiur with Rabbi Rosenbaum at 1:00 AM, followed by Selichos at 1:10 AM. On Sunday morning, the first Ashkenazi Minyan will take place at 6:00 AM with Selichos followed immediately by Shacharis, the second Ashkenazi Minyan will take place at 7:00 AM with Selichos followed immediately by Shacharis, and the 8:45 AM will not include Selichos. Beginning Monday, all Ashkenazi morning Minyanim will have Selichos at the listed time, followed immediately by Shacharis.
Let's cook (virtually) with Chef Yehuda Malka – Learn how to prepare tasty and healthy Yom Tov dishes and expand your culinary skills. Video and recipes available at https://wp.yise.org/cooking
Understanding the 13 Attributes of Mercy – A 3-part series with Rabbi Postelnek, continues on August 29 at 8:45 PM on Zoom A. First two parts online at https://wp.yise.org/understanding-the-13-attributes-of-mercy See flyer for details.
Order Lulavim and Esrogim from YISE – YISE is working this year with Josh Breitstein to bring you the finest quality Arba Minim sets. Aleph $80, Beis $65, Gimmel $55, Chinuch $36. Order deadline: Friday, September 3. Pickup will be on Sunday, September 19, 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM. Due to COVID-19 concerns, individual selection of Esrogim will not be possible. Order online at www.yise.org/lulav See flyer for details.
Ask the Rabbi – Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring Halachos of Shabbos and holidays! This month's topic: Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Sukkos. Video available at https://wp.yise.org/ask-the-rabbi
Kiddush in a Bag! While we are not yet back to regular in-Shul Kiddushes, we are happy to now offer Kiddush in a Bag for the 8:45 and 9:15 Minyanim. To sponsor the Kiddush in a Bag, contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rabbi Koss's Jewish History Class will not take place in September. It will resume again in October. Shana Tova!
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
* Happy belated birthday to Shmueli Engel from his family!
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Bobbi & Jules Meisler in memory of Bobbi's father, Julius Altman, Yehudah ben Mordechai, whose Yahrzeit is 18 Elul.
* Leonard & Diana Ruchelman on the engagement of their granddaughter, Ilana Ruchelman, to Akiva Mase.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Shabbos Drasha
* Jacqueline & Rabbi Haim Arzouan in commemoration of the Yahrzeit of their son, Gavriel Yehuda ben HaRav Chaim, on the 19th of Elul.
Community Programs & Listings
Tefilah Mehalev – Those who would like to get into the High Holiday spirit are encouraged to listen to the beautiful tracks kindly recorded last year by Judd Lifschitz on his Tefilah Mehalev website www.yomtovnusach.com
The Yad Yehuda Clothing Exchange has available hours for all members of the community to shop at no cost the on Sunday, August 29, from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM at 1910 University Blvd. West. This is an opportunity for people to come and shop for beautiful, Tzanua clothing in our well-equipped showroom. Everyone must be in good health and not have been in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19. If you have any questions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington's Pre Yomtiv Pop Up – Sunday, August 29, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM in the KMS outdoor tent. Raffles, refreshments, hats/headwear, jewelry, accessories, kippas, shells, Judaica, art, gifts and more. A portion of the sales goes to BCGW.
Mikvah Emunah Society Call for Volunteers – MES is working to develop a safe plan for men to be able to use the Wallerstein Mikvah prior to the Yomim Noraim. In order to provide this service, MES must have a cadre of volunteers to staff the Mikvah on Erev Rosh Hashanah and Erev Yom Kippur. If there are not enough volunteers to help, we will be unable to open. To volunteer, contact Howie Schulman at email@example.com by August 30.
Mitzvos: Quantity vs. Quality – Pre-Rosh Hashanah Shiur for men and women from Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington – Tiferes Gedaliah. Tuesday, August 31, 8:00 PM with Rav Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh Hayeshiva. YGW Boys Campus, 1216 Arcola Ave.
The Golden Network – Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Birkat Hamazon with Mrs. Esther Dziadek. Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information, call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Rosh Hashanah Shofar Blowing 5782/2021 – Do you, or someone you know, need to have the shofar blown this Rosh Hashanah because you can't get to Shul? To arrange for a Shofar blower to visit you at home in Kemp Mill, please call or text Aron Trombka at 301-385-9348 or email email@example.com
Locations/times: Chabad of Silver Spring, 519 Lamberton Drive 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, 4:00, 5:00; KMS, 11910 Kemp Mill Road 6:30; YGW, 1216 Arcola Avenue 4:00; Cosgrave Court 5:00; Spring Mill MCPS Building, corner of Kemp Mill Rd. and Fulham St. 5:30; N. Belgrade Court 4:45; University Towers (grass field by pool, Warwick side) 5:00
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, September 1, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. Fall Evaluation Contest – winner will compete in the Area 71 contest. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Ko-ach Sports Soccer – Registration is now open. The fun begins October 3with separate leagues for boys and girls K-3rd grade. All games and practices are on Sundays in Silver Spring. Sign up by September 1 to save on registration fees. Sibling discounts! Register and more info. at www.Ko-achSports.com
Yad Yehuda Yomim Noraim Appeal – Between Rosh Hashanah and Sukkot, Yad Yehuda plans, B'ezrat Hashem, to distribute over $85,000 to provide Shabbos and Yom Tov meals and Lulav and Etrog sets as needed to households across our community who are struggling financially. These Yom Tov expenses are above and beyond the ongoing financial assistance we provide our recipient households every single month. Please help us bring Simchat Yom Tov to your fellow community members by donating generously at yadyehuda.org
Rosh Hashanah/Yom Kippur/Franco Foundation Appeal – More of our community, hurt by COVID-19, rely on the Foundation to cover basic needs, such as rent, mortgage and utilities. Your entire donations go to support this safety net. Please send today to: The Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring, MD 20902, or through Paypal, at email@example.com Tax ID: 52-2172267
Lulav and Etrog sets – The Franco Foundation will be offering to our local community Lulav and Etrog sets to those who are struggling financially. Please contact Allan Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org Your information will remain confidential.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more information.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? Izun is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Fundamentals of Prayer: High Holidays Edition – Wednesday September 1, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested mayemail Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up.”
Kemp Mill Village is merging into the larger, well-established Silver Spring Village (SSV) as of September 1. All current members will have several additional months to try out the many services offered by Silver Spring Village. Non-members will also be able to experience a trial period to decide if they want to join. To learn more about SSV's varied offerings, visit https://silverspringvillage.org
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:17 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:46 AM, Latest Netz: 6:40 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:51 AM,
Earliest Mincha: 1:42 PM, Earliest Shkia: 7:33 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 8:24 PM
September 3 – 4, 2021 – 27 Elul 5781
Light Candles: 7:17
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 1 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM;
Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager