Young Israel Shomrai Emunah -Shabbos Shorts
May 5 – 6, 2023 – 15 Iyar 5783 – Parshas Emor
Light Candles by 7:46 – Havdalah 8:50
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Bev Morris & Art Boyars in honor of Barbara Billauer Price, thanking her for her constant involvement and dedication to YISE in all aspects large and small, and
by the Franco Family to thank Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum, Rabbi Yehoshua Levy and Rabbi Berel Wolvovsky for their guidance and support and to thank the community for their Shiva visits, help with meals, Minyan participation, donations and their expressions of condolence.
* Sarah & Yaakov Idell on the birth of a son.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on the birth of a great-grandson to Esti & Levi Guttmann of New York, (R' Simmy and Miriam, ZT"L, Guttman of Milwaukee grandparents).
* Elaine Taragin on the birth of a great-grandson, Dov, son of Michal & Shua Leff, grandson of Deborah & Aiton Marizan, all of Baltimore.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the birth of a great-grandson. Mazal Tov to parents Miriam & Yaakov Yosef Feigenbaum and to grandparents Randee & Rabbi Manny Goldberger.
Minyan locations are B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Light Candles by 7:46, and not before 6:37
* Mincha: 6:20 (Plag, S), 6:50 (B), 7:50 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:30 (B), 7:25 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:50
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur before Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
Kiddush/Shalosh Seudos Sponsors:
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is co-sponsored by Barbara Price and Family to commemorate the 11th Yahrzeit of Dr. Clifton J. Price, Akiva Ben Avraham, beloved husband, father, grandfather, and friend on the 19th of Iyar and by Lisa & Joel Straus to commemorate the 2nd Yahrzeit of Joel's father, Walter Straus, Yitzchak Ben Chaim.
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by the Shul Kiddush Group.
* The Shalosh Seudos is sponsored by members of the Semichas Chaver Program in honor of the Siyum of Hilchos Niddah.
YISE Programs and Listings
Welcome new members voted in at the latest board meeting: Shana & Noam Feldman.
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Kedushas Levi's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos morning This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Postelnek.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Following the Hashkamah Minyan, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Rosenbaum.
Shabbos Afternoon Shiur – Rabbi Rosenbaum gives a text-based Parsha shiur 45 minutes before the last Mincha in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Kiddush to Honor Board and Committee Members – Please join us on Shabbos, May 13, at the Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush and Shul Kiddush to honor the YISE Board of Directors, YISE Committee Chairs, and Committee Members. To be a sponsor of this special Kiddush, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-593-4465×103.
Annual Election Meeting – Tuesday, May 23, 7:30 PM in the Social Hall. For details, go to www.yise.org/election-2023-letter-2.pdf
Seeing the Hand of Hashem in History: How Rashi Saved the Torah and Other Historical Wonders with Rabbi Brahm Weinberg on Sunday, May 7, 11:00 AM at YISE in the Belonofsky Sanctuary and on Zoom A, followed by refreshments in the Social Hall. Part of the Meaningful Tefilah Project at YISE, co-sponsored by KMS. See flyer for details.
The Art of Loving Your Neighbor – A Jewish perspective on the 5 Love Languages as they apply to marriage and other relationships with Rabbi Postelnek. Monday night, May 15, 8:45 PM, at the home of Goldie and Aharon Dovid Levy, 11205 Healy Street. See flyer for details.
Ask the Rabbi – Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring different Halachic topics! This month's topic, funerals, Shiva, and Halacha from a consoler's perspective, will take place on Tuesday, May 30, 7:00 PM – 8:00PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com or 301-754-1517. To sponsor the program, contact the YISE office. See flyer for details.
Coming Soon to a Lawn Near You: "Limud On Our Lawn" – a new YISE monthly summer learning project bringing Limud Torah to front lawns and backyards in our community. On the 2nd Shabbos of June, July, August and September, a different YISE family each month will host a 6:00 PM learning opportunity, exploring a different Torah luminary each month. The first program will take place on June 10. More information to follow soon.
Shavuot Food Drive – Please donate to the Capital Kosher Pantry's annual Shavuot food drive. All items should be factory sealed, well within the use-by date, and certified kosher. Drop boxes around the area including at YISE, or deliver or ship to: Capital Kosher Pantry (Note new address!), 9601 Colesville Road, Silver Spring, MD 20901. *To donate dairy items to the Capital Kosher Pantry, please contact Susan Koss, firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Shalosh Seudos – To sponsor, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, ext. 103, or email@example.com Volunteers are needed to set up and clean up. Contact Ethan Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org to be part of the rotation.
Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. For questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For other questions, contact Seth Katz at email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, provides assistance to families undergoing medical crises. If you do not have a Helping Hands account, or if you have any questions, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at https://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan, led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, meets at 9:15 AM every Shabbos in The House next to the Shul. Kiddush is served after Davening.
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, May 6, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shabbos Group for 5th and 6th Grade Girls will meet inside The House promptly at 10:00 AM.
Junior Congregation for boys in grades 4 – 6 with Jay Marcus. Meet in the Lower Lobby at 9:55 and walk to the Yeshiva at 10:00.
Boys Shiur – Rabbi Rosenbaum will resume his Shabbos afternoon shiur for 5th and 6th grade boys at 5:30 PM in the Social Hall. Bring your best questions! See flyer for details.
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Shiur
* Leah Paretzky in memory of her brother in law, Carl Paretzky, Kopel Alexander Ben HaRav Mordechai Aryeh, whose Yahrzeit was the 21st of Nissan.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur and in memory of parents, Avraham Ben Tzvi HaLevi & Ada Bas Menachem Aryeh, Z"L, and Rabbi Hillel & Mrs. Myrna Klavan, Z"L. Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Judy & Louis Morris in memory of Judy's brother, HaRav Rephael Ben Akiva, whose Yahrzeit was the 9th of Iyar.
* Louis & Judy Morris in memory of Judy's mother, Hinda Kayla Bas HaRav Yoel Yitzchak Zelig, whose Yahrzeit was the 12th of Iyar.
Rabbi Rosenbaums' Navi Shiur:
* Chanah & Joseph Hollander in memory of Chanah's grandfather, Yehuda Leib Levine.
8:45 Shabbos Drasha
* David Lerner in honor of his Bar Mitzvah Parsha.
* Bev Morris in honor of her beloved brother, Burton D. Morris, as he celebrates the anniversary of his Bar Mitzvah, Parshas Emor.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
YISE continues to offer a number of different in-person and virtual learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis. Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
4. Yom Tov Drashas are available for sponsorship of $72 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 6:30 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM. Shiurim:
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara, starting the 3rd Perek of Kiddushin.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys – Zoom D.
* SCP (Semichas Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM at YISE. New Semester begins Tuesday, May 2. See flyer for details.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:22 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Levy at 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 8:45 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", in-person in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom G.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning the 7th Perek of Maseches Bava Metzia. Wednesday evenings at 8:25 PM (note new time) on Zoom H.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 or 929-205-6099 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, passcode Winter (phone 667362)
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 849 3898 4989, passcode 161699
Community Programs & Listings
A Time for Unity – Special speaker series, Shabbos afternoons, 6:15 PM at Chabad of Silver Spring, 519 Lamberton Drive. This Shabbos, May 6, Rabbi Michoel Frank, Ohr HaTorah.
The Capital Closet will be open this Sunday, May 7, from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM. Come peruse our beautiful, curated selection of clothing for women, men, and children, as well as Torah School uniforms! Shop early for Shavuos and camp – we have an overabundance of clothing ready for you! Our new address is 9601 Colesville Road, Silver Spring, MD 20901. The Closet entrance is in the back of the building up a full flight of stairs. There is no charge for items in The Capital Closet, but financial donations to Yad Yehuda are always appreciated. We are unable to accept clothing donations at this time; thank you for your understanding. Please feel to reach out with any questions or for more information to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, May 10, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM, in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Using a 529 Plan to Help Pay Tuition – A webinar for parents and grandparents to learn how to save money on K-12 tuition and student loan payments. Wednesday, May 17, 8:30 PM, on Zoom. Meeting ID: 413 031 8744, Passcode: 529. Co-sponsored by Izun, Shomrai Preschool, KMS and TSGW.
Ishay Ribo Unity Concert – Sunday, May 21, at Beth Tfiloh in Baltimore. The concert will benefit Ahavas Yisrael, CHANA, The Tikva House, Baltimore Hatzalah, Baltimore Shomrim, and The Chesed Fund & Project Ezra. Purchase tickets at https://charity.pledgeit.org/riboconcert
Sulam Gala – Save the date! Sulam is celebrating 25 years of inclusion, honoring Denny and Debra Berman and Sharon Freundel. Monday, May 22 at the Rockville Hilton.
Golden Network Lunch and Learn – Wednesday, May 24, 11:45 AM – 1:00 PM at YISE. No charge, donations appreciated, sponsorships available. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-732-1773 by May 18.
The Chesed Fund & Project Ezra invite you nominate outstanding children, youth, or adults to receive our annual Community Safety & Service Award. Submission deadline is June 1. Send your submission with your contact info as well as your nominee's to email@example.com now!
The Mikvah Emunah Society Banquet and Annual Meeting will take place on Sunday, June 4, at 6:30 PM in the KMS Tents. Honorees are Arnie Sherman and Iris & Adam Bashein. Please visit www.mikvahemunah.com for registration and ad information.
Rays of Wisdom – Life Lessons From Pirkei Avos – Greater Washington Community Kollel invites women of the community to a weekday morning text-based Chaburah led by Mrs. Channah Cohen. Mondays at 9:30 AM at the home of Mrs. Aviva Werner, 815 Lamberton Drive. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-219-5397.
Pirkei Avos: Ethics for Everyday Living – presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps on Zoom. Wednesdays, 12:15 PM – 1:00 PM. For Zoom info and registration go to https://linksgw.org/classes
Please help our community complete these Siyumim:
* Mishnayos for the 1st Yahrzeit of Natalie Gabai, Nechama Naomi Bat Leib, December 21, 9 Tevet – https://www.lzechernishmas.com/signup.php?id=11044
* Mishnayos for the 1st Yahrzeit of Jerry Snyder, Yehoshua Ben Binyamin, December 21, 9 Tevet – https://hadranalach.com/2612
* Tanach for the 1st Yahrzeit of Marion Baras, Miriam Bas Menachem, January 1, 20 Tevet – https://hadranalach.com/2626
Alshich on the Parsha with Rabbi Levy – Shabbat afternoon between Mincha and Maariv in the Franco Beit Midrash.
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
In G-d We Trust – Exploring the relationship and balance between Relying on G-d/Bitachon & Human Endeavor/Hishtadlus, based on the teachings of 11th century scholar, Rabbeinu Bachya's Treatise on Trust – Shaar Habitachon. Wednesdays, 12:15 PM – 1:00 PM on Zoom, Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. To register, visit https://linksgw.org/classes
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, currently learning Bava Metzia. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner), about 2.5 Daf covered each week.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person, 1-1/2 hours before the latest YISE Mincha in the Yeshiva.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead Sunday
Tuesday, May 9 – Lag B'omer
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 4:32 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:05 AM, Latest Netz: 6:04 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:31 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM, Earliest Shkia: 8:06 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 8:58 PM
May 12 – 13, 2023 – 22 Iyar 5783
* Light Candles by 7:53, and not before 6:42
* Mincha: 6:25 (Plag, S), 6:55 (B), 7:55 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:50 (B), 7:45 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:58
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 10, at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager