Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 17 – 18, 2019 – 13 Iyar 5779 – Parshas Emor
Light Candles by 7:57 – Havdalah 9:03
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Esther Edeson and family in honor of the birthdays of her grandson, Ian Hillel Edeson, and her son, Nathan Edeson.
* Terumah & Benzion Kugler on the engagement of their son, Shlomo, to Devora Rotkopf of Monsey. Mazal Tov to grandmother Shonny Kugler and to all of the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Bertha & Jack Spiro on the birth of a great-grandson, Ezra Chaim Spiro, born to their grandchildren, Leah & Benjy Spiro of Los Angeles.,CA. Proud grandparents are Helen & Joseph Spiro of Teaneck, NJ.
* Rochelle & Baruch Wertenteil on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Elchanan, son of Sarala & Peretz Wertenteil of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to Aunt & Uncle Ahuva & Aaron Orlofsky and cousins Avigail, Elana and Izzy.
* Miriam & Jeff Zuckerman on the birth of three grandchildren – a granddaughter and two grandsons – born to their children Dr. Batya Matla & Rabbi Daniel Zuckerman of Washington Heights, NY.
* Light Candles by 7:57, and not before 6:46
Ashkenazi: 6:30, 7:00, 8:00 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:55 Sephardi: 7:40 Nusach Sefard: 7:55
* Shabbos Ends: 9:03
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Marc Penner
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – by the Price Family to commemorate the 7th Yahrzeit (19 Iyar) of Dr. Clifton Price, Akiva ben Avraham, and by Miriam & Farrell Bloch in honor of the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Yossi.
* Sephardi Minyan – Michelle & Yoni Goldstein in honor of Ze'ev reading his first Haftarah.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – in honor of the Scholar-in-Residence, Rabbi Marc Penner.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:55 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Marc Penner – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Beis Medrash, will resume May 26.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 7:25 PM in the Social Hal.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah, will resume May 30.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:05 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
A Sundae on Monday! – Join YISE Youth for our annual Shavuos Ice Cream Social. 2nd day of Shavuos, Monday, June 10, 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Rebbetzin Anemer would like to express her heartfelt appreciation to all those involved in the Siyum & Shalosh Seudos L'zecher her husband, HaRav Gedaliah Anemer, Zichrono L'vracha. Special thanks to Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum and Bob Levi for organizing the learning and to all those that learned, sponsored and prepared the Shalosh Seudos. May it be a Zechus for his Neshama.
Thank you to Kumar of the Kemp Mill Beer and Wine Store for donating use of a 15 foot truck to store excess chairs in order to enhance our annual banquet.
Toddler Room Renovation – The toddler room is being renovated thanks to a generous donor. Due to the work in process, the room is not currently available for use.
"The Making of a Minhag: The Laws and Parameters of Jewish Customs – Part Two" – The Greater Washington Community Kollel in conjunction with YISE invites men and women of the community to a lecture by Rabbi Moshe Walter, Rabbi of Woodside Synagogue Ahavas Torah. Sunday, May 19 at 9:30 AM at YISE. See flyer for details.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, June 3, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Women's Learning Initiative presents Erev Shavuos learning for women, Shabbos, June 8 at 5:30 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. Renowned educator Mrs. Sharon Freundel will speak on "Aseres HaDibros in Poetry and Prose." For more information, contact Judy Rosenthal, email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Community Adult Education Project welcomes
Rabbi Marc Penner
* Max and Marion Grill Dean, Rabbi Isaac Elchanan Theological Seminary and the Men's Undergraduate Torah Studies Programs at Yeshiva University
* Rabbi Emeritus, Young Israel of Holliswood
Shabbos Emor – May 18, 2019
* After 8:45 AM Shacharis Minyan – "Finding Meaning in Shabbos Musaf" *Kiddush Follows*
* 7:00 PM Shabbos Afternoon – "Disabilities in the Jewish Community: One Family's Journey"
* Between Mincha and Maariv – "Of Lepers and Leaders: Understanding the Founding of the State of Israel"
Chometz after Pesach
Chometz may be purchased from the following stores immediately after Pesach 2019:
* All Capitol K establishments and caterers.
* National stores: Aldi, BJ's, Costco, CVS, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Kmart, Petco, PetSmart, Rite Aid, Royal Farms, Save-A-Lot, Sam's Club, Shoppers Food and Pharmacy, Trader Joe's, Walgreens, Walmart, Wegmans, Whole Foods Market, Winn-Dixie
* Stores in our community: H Mart, MOM's Organic Market, ShopRite of White Oak
Chometz may not be purchased from Snider's until four weeks after Pesach.
Due to possible Chometz distributed by a Jewish company, if one has an option of purchasing Chometz from other stores, it is commendable not to purchase Chometz from Giant, Safeway, and Target until four weeks after Pesach.
Community Programs and Listings
Tzurba M'Rabanan learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:30 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group at 4:45 PM at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, May 18, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:00 PM.
Yoetezet Halacha Bracha Rutner will be speaking after the 8am minyan at KMS this Shabbos, and for teenage girls only at 7:00 PM on Shabbos at KMS. If you would like to schedule a time to meet with Bracha privately when she is here, please email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
A Time for Unity! – Special Shabbos afternoon speaker series. As we look forward to Shavuos, let us come together and find inspiration in the words of the Torah. Chabad of Silver Spring will be hosting distinguished Rabbis during the weeks between Pesach and Shavuos. This Shabbos, May 18, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Yeshiva of Greater Washington. All Shiurim at Chabad, 519 Lamberton Drive, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM. Women and men are invited.
STEAM (Science/Technology/Engineering/Art/Math) Fair – YGW – Tiferes Gedaliah Boys Division, Sunday May 19, 1:30 PM – 3:30 PM at the YGW Girls Campus cafeteria, 2010 Linden Lane, Silver Spring, MD 20910. Recognition Ceremony, 3:15 PM. Open to the community. Please join us. For further info please contact Mrs. Jacquot, email@example.com or Rabbi Wiggins, firstname.lastname@example.org 301-649-7077 ext.1511.
Geula Gathering – There is so much pain in the world right now, with tragedy after tragedy happening to B'nei Yisrael (here in the U.S. and in Israel) and in the greater world around us.
We need to come together as women to unite in prayer and call directly to G-d for the Geula, to bring a flood of revealed goodness into our world. On Sunday, May 19, 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM, at the Shankman residence, 12312 Remington Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20902, we will be coming together for another Geula Gathering, following up on our highly inspirational February event.
This event will be in memory of Lori Kaye. We will screen a lecture by Rabbi YY Jacobson entitled "Empowering Women to Bring the Geula" and then join together in song led by Dahlia Topolosky, and in prayer to call for our Geula. (No instruments will be used in accordance with the Omer.) Unlike other memorial events, we will not be coming together in mourning, but rather we will call out to G-d from a place of unity, Emunah, hope, and love.
Escape with Berman PTO and enjoy a fun night of mystery and excitement! Monday, May 20, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM at Big Escape Rooms – 8505 Fenton Street, Suite 210, Silver Spring, MD 20910, 301-800-0295. Cost is $20 before 5/13, $25 afterward. Sign up at http://www.mjbha.org/Inside_Berman/PTO/Fundraising/Escape_Room_RSVP.cfm Limited Escape spots available so sign up soon.
"Hidden Face," a documentary movie about the founding Rabbi of the Sanz-Klausenburg dynasty, will be shown on Tuesday, May 21, 6:30 PM at Bethesda Row Cinema. Tickets available at the door and online at https://www.jxjdc.org/events/hiddenface For group discounts, contact Carolyn Hoehner at 1-202-777-3241 or CarolynH@edcjcc.org
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday nights, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, May 22, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Zichron Menachem Hair Drive – Donate 12" of your beautiful hair to a child with cancer! Choose an appointment for a free cut. Appointments available on Lag Ba'Omer, Thursday, May 23, at Style Salon, 5208 Nicholson Lane, Rockville – 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM and on the day after Shavuos, Tuesday, June 11, at Progressions, 12211 Nebel St., Rockville – 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM. To make an appointment, email "Hair" to firstname.lastname@example.org
Celebrate 20 years of Inclusion with Sulam – Tuesday, June 4, 6:00 PM at the Hilton Washington DC/Rockville Hotel and Executive Meeting Center. Celebrating our Educational Leadership Team; Dr. Debra Drang, Laura Hardy, Nancy Kohl, Dr. Rachel Ravin and Rachel Sushner, and our Young Leadership – Dan & Dr. Meredith Kapner, Dr. Edwin & Miriam Zaghi and David & Tamar Volosov. To RSVP or learn more: www.sulam.org/gala
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730. Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the YISE late Mincha.
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Beginning Monday, April 29, Dirshu Mishnah Brurah begins Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday May 19 Monday May 20 Tuesday May 21 Wednesday May 22 Thursday May 23 Friday May 24
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 8:05 8:05 8:05 8:05 8:05 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 4:51 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:26 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:42 PM
May 24 – 25, 2019 – 20 Iyar 5779
Light Candles: Friday by 8:03 – Havdalah: 9:10
* Light Candles by 8:03, and not before 6:50
Ashkenazi: 6:35, 7:05, 8:05 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 8:00 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 8:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:10
Shabbos, May 18 Rabbi Marc Penner, Scholar-in-Residence
Sunday, May 19 Rabbi Moshe Walter, "Making of a Minhag"
Shabbos, May 25 Bar Mitzvah of Tuvia Werner
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 22 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager