Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 13 – 14, 2022 – 13 Iyar 5782 – Parshas Emor
Light Candles by 7:54 – Havdalah 8:59
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Barbara Price and Family to commemorate the 10th Yahrzeit of Dr. Clifton Price, Akiva Ben Avraham, Z"L, on the 19th of Iyar and by
Simi & Sammy Franco along with the entire YISE community wishing a Tzeischem Leshalom to Bertha & Jack Spiro and wishing them much Hatzlacha!
* Tzivia Bramson on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Gittel Weinstein, daughter of Rivki & Yosef Weinstein, and granddaughter of Renee & Mayer Weinstein.
* Aliza Eisenberg and Rachel & Dovid Shteierman on the birth of a grandson and son, Tzvi Meir.
* Shira & Nate Herzfeld on the birth of a boy. Mazal Tov to siblings Meital, Oren and Eitan and to the grandparents and extended family.
* Becca & Brett Kugler on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Boaz. Mazal Tov to grandparents Maddy & Sam Kugler, Nechama & Neal Jacobs and Phyllis & Ralph Mollerick, great-grandmothers Shonny Kugler and Lorraine Heller, and to siblings and extended family.
* Sima & Richard Soskin on the graduation of their son-in-law, Jesse Shkedy, from The Jones Graduate School of Business of Rice University where he earned a Master of Business Administration degree.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary,
S = Social Hall. LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Light Candles by 7:54, and not before 6:43
* Mincha: 6:25 (Plag, S), 6:55 (B), 7:55 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen Minyan, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:50 (B), 7:45 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:59
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Postelnek
* Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by The Zatman Family in commemoration of the 1st Yahrzeit of Michael's father, Merton Zatman, Shlomo Meyer Ben Perez, Z"L, on the 13th of Iyar, Lisa & Joel Straus in commemoration of the 1st Yahrzeit of Joel's father, Walter Straus, Yitzchak ben Chaim, Z"L, on the 16th of Iyar, and by Barbara Price and Family to commemorate the 10th Yahrzeit of Dr. Clifton Price, Akiva Ben Avraham, Z"L, on the 19th of Iyar.
* 8:45/9:15/Sephardic Minyan/Teen Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Becca & Brett Kugler in honor of Boaz's Bar Mitzvah.
* The YISE Board has mandated that everyone 16 and older who is medically eligible for an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to enter the Shul building.
* Anyone with any of the following symptoms should not come to shul: fever of 100.4 degrees or higher, chills, muscle aches, sore throat, severe cough, headache, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose, or new loss of sense of taste or smell. If you have tested positive for COVID, you should follow the CDC guidelines.
* Masks are now optional for adults and children.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Kiddush Volunteers Needed!
As we return to a regular schedule of Kiddushes, volunteers are needed from ALL Minyanim to help set up and clean up for Kiddushes on Shabbos morning. Times vary. Let us know when you are available.
Contact Barbara Price at 301-332-8181.
YISE Programs and Listings
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos mornings in the Social Hall. This Shiur will be given by Rabbi Postelnek.
Pesach Sheini Tisch – Join Rabbi Postelnek for an evening of Niggunim and learning, reflecting on Pesach Sheini. Sunday, May 15, following Mincha/Maariv, approximately 8:30 PM, in the Social Hall. Refreshments will be served. To sponsor, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Shabbos Gemara Shiur – YISE is pleased to announce that we will be resuming the Shabbos morning Gemara Shiur for men following the Hashkamah Minyan, to be given by Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. The shiur will begin next Shabbos, May 21, in the Small Beis Medrash.
Celebrate Service to Our Country – Why do Jews decide to serve? A virtual panel of present and past service members explain why they joined, how their lives changed, and how their lives as Jews were tested and strengthened. Monday, May 30, 6:30 PM on Zoom A. Organized by the YISE Social Committee. See flyer for details.
Ask the Rabbi – Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring different Halachic topics! This month's topic: Travel. The first 45 minutes is for Shailos submitted in advance and the last 15 minutes is for Q & A. Send in your questions about Travel to: AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, May 29. The program will take place on Tuesday, May 31, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information and to submit questions by phone or anonymously, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com To sponsor the program, please contact the YISE office. See flyer for details.
Shavuos Bakery Sale – 10" cheesecakes (caramel, marble, brownie and lotus – Cholov Yisroel) and 6 pound babka (chocolate, cinnamon, raspberry – Pareve) – $40 each. Order by May 25 at https://wp.yise.org/shavuos-bakery Delivery May 29 – June 2. Proceeds to benefit YISE and the YGW class of 2023. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Kashrus in the Kitchen – Learn the background and practical laws of Kashrus. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman: 11611 Kemp Mill Road. Given by Rabbi Postelnek. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group, contact Rabbi Postelnek at 571-340- 0227 or email@example.com Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/kashrus-kitchen
Rabbi Koss's Jewish History Class will not take place in June because of Shavuos.
12th Yahrzeit of Rav Anemer, ZT"L – Recording of Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mishnayos and remarks at https://wp.yise.org/rav-anemer-yahrzeit-12
Seeing the Hand of Hashem…In History – Presented by the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. Next lecture, "Seeing the Hand of Hashem in History," with Rabbi Yitzchak Breitowitz on Sunday, June 12, 10:30 AM on Zoom A. Recordings at wp.yise.org/hand-of-hashem See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Judy & Louis Morris in memory of Judy's brother, Rabbi Raphael Ostrovsky, Harav Rephael Ben Akiva, Z"L, whose Yahrzeit is the 9th of Iyar.
* Judy & David Marwick, in memory of Howard Katz, Z"L, on the occasion of his first Yahrzeit and in recognition of his many contributions, over many years, to YISE and the broader community.
* Jay Rogal and Debbie Rogal in memory of Jay's father and Debbie's grandfather, Amiel Rogal, whose Yahrzeit is 7th of Iyar.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
* Simi & Sammy Franco wishing a happy belated 60th birthday to their brother Jerry Rottenberg.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
4. Yom Tov Drasha Sponsorships are $72 each.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15- minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15- minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:00 PM, Zoom A, will not meet on Tuesday, May 17 or on Thursday, May 19.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resume Sunday, May 22.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM Shiurim. Sunday, May 15, grand breakfast buffet kickoff! See flyer for details.
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person in the Social Hall.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women – Zoom I
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys.
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 9th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 8:30 PM on Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom I: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, May 14, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bat Mitzvah Program – Create a seed mosaic picture. Discuss Ruth and Naomi and their impact on Jewish history. Sunday, May 15, 1:30 PM – 3:00 pm in the Social Hall. RSVP by 4/25 to email@example.com Cost: $10 or free if already paid $36. See flyer for details.
Community Programs & Listings
A Time for Unity! – Special speaker series at Chabad of Silver Spring, 519 Lamberton Drive, Shabbos afternoons at 6:30 PM. This week's speaker will be Rabbi Brahm Weinberg, Kemp Mill Synagogue.
Tzeischem L'Shalom to Bertha & Jack Spiro, who are moving to Monsey. Everyone is welcome to KMS on Sunday, May 15, after the 8:00 AM Minyan for some refreshments and a chance to wish Bertha & Jack well.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, May 18, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Zichron Menachem Annual Hair-Raising Event – Get a free haircut and do a Mitzvah at the same time. Thursday, May 19, Lag Ba'Omer, Susan at Style Salon, 5208 Nicholson Lane, Kensington, 10:00 AM – 1:30 PM. June 7, after Shavuos, Progressions Salon and Spa, 12211 Nebel Street, Rockville, 4:00 PM – 7:00 PM. Be a hero and donate 12 inches or more of your beautiful hair. To make an appointment, email "hair" to email@example.com For more information, go to www.zichron.org
Community-wide Hachnasas Sefer Torah – Sunday, May 22. Line up on the corner of Yeatman Terrace & Kemp Mill Road at 11:00 AM. Come celebrate the completion of a new Sefer Torah with Yossi & Laura Goldman and family in honor of the Bas Mitzvah of their daughter Kira! Join the parade and dance the Torah from the Goldman home to Kemp Mill Synagogue. Treats and flags, great music and lots of fun!
Women's Online Shiur with Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Free 1-hour shiur on Zoom on the first and third Sundays of each month at 8:30 PM (new time). Topic: Eishet Hayil, with principles from Mesilat Yesharim and weekly Sidra. In English. All levels of ability are welcome. You needn't attend every Shiur, but RSVPs are requested. Contact Shiur Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Michtav M'Eliyahu: Thought and Perspective of Rav Eliyahu Dessler – Join Rabbi Yosef Musicante as he begins to explore Rav Dessler's perspectives on Kabbalas Hatorah – Receiving the Torah! Mondays – 8:30 PM at SEHC, 10900 Lockwood Drive and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 279 256 7843 Password: Learn
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, which began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
Parsha Explorations with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Kemp Mill Synagogue, Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM at KMS and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. For men and women.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person 1-1/2 hours before the main YISE Mincha, at the Yeshiva.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Thursday, May 19 – Lag B'omer
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 4:20 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 4:55 AM, Latest Netz: 5:56 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:27 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:42 PM, Earliest Shkia: 8:14 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 9:06 PM
May 20 – 21, 2022 – 20 Iyar 5782
* Light Candles by 8:00, but not before 6:48
* Mincha: 6:30 (Plag, S), 7:00 (B), 8:00 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:55 (B), 7:50 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 9:06
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 18 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager