Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 19 – 20, 2022 – 23 Av 5782 – Parshas Eikev/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:39 – Havdalah 8:39
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Judy & David Marwick and Debi & Max Rudmann to commemorate the first Yahrzeit of Avi West, Z"L, on 26th of Menachem Av,
and by Yale Ginsburg in honor of his wife Sahra and their celebration of their 37th wedding anniversary.
* Lois & Sid Meyers on the birth of a great-grandson. Mazal Tov to parents Esther Perel & Mordechai Strauss of Lakewood, NJ, and to grandparents Jessica & Rabbi Yekusiel Strauss of Fallsburg, NY.
* Steven Bender on the passing of his father, Joseph Bender.
* Shaine Spolter on the passing of her son-in-law, Baruch Raczkowski, husband of Sarah Raczkowski. Shiva is being observed at 6304 Green Meadow Parkway, Baltimore, MD 21209.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash
* Light Candles by 7:39, and not before 6:32
* Mincha: 6:15 (Plag, S), 6:40 (B), 7:40 (B), 7:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:35 (B), 7:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends: 8:39
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Moshe Holzer
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Netanel Wiederblank
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored in honor of Sahra & Yale for being wonderful parents and for their wedding anniversary, by their kids: Elazar, Devora, Avi, Rachel, Naftali, Miryam, and Daniel.
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by Jorden Brinn on his retirement from a career with the federal government and by Nancy & Bruce James in honor of their 40th wedding anniversary.
* Any person eligible for a fully FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine (16 years of age or older), but who chooses to not be vaccinated may attend YISE Minyanim and events with the following guidelines. Unvaccinated individuals must remain masked at all times while in the Shul building, including at Kiddushes and/or other events containing food. Masks may not be removed to eat or drink. Exceptions will be made for private functions being held at the Shul, but that are not Shul sponsored events.
* Anyone with any of the following symptoms should not come to shul: fever of 100.4 degrees or higher, chills, muscle aches, sore throat, severe cough, headache, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose, or new loss of sense of taste or smell. If you have tested positive for COVID, you should follow the CDC guidelines.
* Masks are now optional for vaccinated adults and for children under 16.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, August 20, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years (girls only) will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer Shabbos Group Updates: Older boys summer Shabbos groups are canceled through August 27. Older girls and preschool summer Shabbos groups will continue as usual through August 27. There will be no Shabbos groups on Labor Day weekend, September 3. Our outstanding school year Shabbos groups begin again on September 10!!
Calling All Rising 5th and 6th Grade Boys!! Rabbi Rosenbaum is learning weekly with rising 5th and 6th grade boys one hour before Mincha in the YISE Social Hall. Bring your hard questions! Refreshments will be served.
Parsha in the Park – Meet up with your buddies in the park, hear some Parsha insights, and cool off with delicious treats! 4:00 PM in the Kemp Mill Urban Park (across from YISE) on August 20. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos morning. The Shiur will be given by Rabbi Moshe Holzer this Shabbos.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman will give the Gemara Shiur after the Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash.
Seeing the Hand of Hashem…In History – Presented by the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. Next lecture with Mrs. Channah Cohen on Sunday, August, 21, 10:30 AM in person at YISE and Zoom A. Recordings at wp.yise.org/hand-of-hashem See flyer for details.
Minyan Moves – All Ashkenazi Shacharis and Mincha/Maariv Minyanim on Tuesday, August 23, and Wednesday, August 24, will take place in the Social Hall in order to allow cleaning of the Belonofsky Sanctuary carpeting and pews.
Cheryl Stern Community Kelim Mikvah at YISE Cleaning – The Kelim Mikvah will be closed for cleaning from Tuesday, August 23, through Thursday, August 25.
Online YISE Cholim List – Our Cholim list is now automated. Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list will be used for the Mi Sheberach for Cholim made at the 8:45 Minyanim on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. If you have specific questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For any other questions about the Cholim list, contact Seth Katz at email@example.com
Protecting Our Children From Predators & Abusers – Presented by the Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington on Sunday, September 4, at 7:30 PM at YISE, featuring Dr. Norman Blumenthal, with Divrei Pesicha from Rabbi Aaron Lopiansky. See flyer for details.
High Holiday Mailing – The High Holiday mailing with information about seats, child care, Yizkor and Hashomer greetings has been sent to all members. You can also go to www.yise.org for more information, including downloadable seat forms, online registration for child care and online sponsorship of the Yizkor guide.
Living Shabbos – Join YISE young professionals for a new series on the laws of Shabbos with Rabbi Postelnek. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman, 11611 Kemp Mill Road. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group contact Rabbi Postelnek at firstname.lastname@example.org Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/living-shabbos See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, September 5, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Shabbos Groups Leader – Are you a teenage boy who wants to make a real difference? Be a Shabbos Groups leader. Lead Tefillah, Parsha and games for boys ages 6 to 9. For more information, contact Esti Thurman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in starting a new 5th-6th grade girls Shabbos group this fall? YISE Youth is looking for a creative, mature older teen or adult to create a Shabbos morning program for this important age group. This is a paid position. Please contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com to learn more about this position or to apply.
Kiddush Volunteers Needed! As we return to a regular schedule of Kiddushes, volunteers are needed from ALL Minyanim to help set up and clean up for Kiddushes on Shabbos morning. Times vary. Let us know when you are available. Contact Barbara Price at 301-332-8181.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, has a current need at this time. Please sign to volunteer if you can. For more information or if you need help signing up, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301- 754-1517, email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Jacqueline & Rabbi Haim Arzouan in memory of Jacqueline's mother, Messody Bat HaRav Yehuda Asseraff.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur
* Hannah & Robert Klein in memory of Mrs. Sarah Braun, Z"L, mother of Rebbetzin Atara Rosenbaum.
8:45 Minyan Dvar Torah
* Judy & David Marwick and Debi & Max Rudmann to commemorate the first Yahrzeit of Avi West, Z"L, on 26th of Menachem Av.
* Esther & Seth Kaplan in memory of Esther's father, Pesach Ben Gedaliah, Z"L, whose Yahrzeit is the 24th of Av.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
4. Yom Tov Drasha Sponsorships are $72 each.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:00 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:50 AM Shiurim, in the Social Hall, will resume in Elul.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361, will resume in Elul.
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Levy 240- 423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", is on summer break.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Metzia. Wednesday evenings, 7:30 PM, will resume in September.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
* Vivian wishes her husband Arnie Kirshenbaum a Happy 23rd Anniversary. May we celebrate to 120!
* Simi & Sammy Franco wish their fellow August 22nd wedding celebrators, Nancy & Bruce James and Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum, a Happy Anniversary!
Community Programs & Listings
The Capital Closet (formerly The Clothing Exchange) will be open to this community this Sunday, August 21, from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM. Come peruse our beautiful, curated selection of clothing for men, women and children, as well as Torah School uniforms! Our address is 1910 University Blvd, West in Silver Spring. We're in the brick house at the back of the parking lot. There is no charge for items in The Capital Closet, but donations to Yad Yehuda are always appreciated. We are unable to accept clothing donations at this time, with the exception of Torah School uniforms in pristine condition. For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kidney Donation Needed – Mr. Gerry Segelman, father of Micah Segelman, is in need of a kidney transplant. If you would consider being a kidney donor, please contact Rabbi Chaim Steinmetz at Renewal for more information at email@example.com or 718-431-9831 ext 209.
Men's Night Swim @ Parkland Pool – Monday evenings, 9:15 PM – 10:05 PM. August 22, 29 and September 5. $10/swimmer, $7 if 2 or more in a group.
Yahrzeit of Avi West – The family of Avi West, Z"L, is observing his Yahrzeit with a virtual Siyum Tanakh and memorial on Tuesday, August 23 at 10:00 AM. The Siyum will take place on Zoom, Meeting ID: 820 3484 8827, Passcode: 473695.
Ari Goldwag at SEHC – SEHC of White Oak invites all men, women and children to a night of inspiration and song with renowned singer Ari Goldwag. Wednesday night, August 24, 8:15 PM at Southeast Hebrew Congregation, 10900 Lockwood Drive. Suggested donation $10.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – The next meeting will take place on Wednesday, August 24, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM, in-person in the YISE Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Alshich on the Parsha with Rabbi Levy – Shabbat afternoon between Mincha and Maariv in the Franco Beit Midrash.
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
MitzvahCycle/MitzvahRun 2022 – Join Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington on Sunday, September 11, to bike, run or walk to support patients and their loved ones in our community. Fun, food and family-friendly activities. Register at www.mitzvahcycle.org Email email@example.com for more info.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, which began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person 1-1/2 hours before the main YISE Mincha, at the Yeshiva.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
* All Ashkenazi Shacharis and Mincha/Maariv Minyanim on Tuesday and Wednesday will take place in the Social Hall.
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:08 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:38 AM, Latest Netz: 6:33 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:49 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:45 PM, Earliest Shkia: 7:46 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 8:37 PM
August 26 – 27, 2022 – 30 Av 5782
Parshas Re'eh/Rosh Chodesh
* Light Candles by 7:29, but not before 6:24
* Mincha: 6:10 (Plag, B), 7:30 (B), 7:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:25 (B), 7:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:28
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 24 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager