Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 23 – 24, 2019 – 23 Av 5779 – Parshas Eikev/Shabbos Mevorchim
Light Candles by 7:34 – Havdalah 8:33
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Florence & Lawrence Radkowsky to commemorate the Yahrzeits of their fathers, Emanuel Kramer, Menachem Nosson ben Mordechai HaKohen, and Aaron Radkowsky, Aharon ben Leib Zalman HaKohen.
* Chana & Paul Berner on the marriage of their granddaughter, Hadassah Levi, to Avrohom Zvi Einhorn of Lakewood, NJ. Mazal Tov to parents, Yaelle & Rabbi Pesach Levi.
* Chana & Paul Berner on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Mati, born to Fraidy & Shragi Penfil of Lakewood, NJ. Mazal Tov to grandparents, Yaelle & Rabbi Pesach Levi.
* Debby & Rabbi Barry Greengart on the birth of a granddaughter, born to Chavi & Benjy Markowitz of Baltimore.
* Marsha & Yitz Kasdan and family on the birth of a grandson, born to Deena (Kasdan) & Moshe Lowinger of Passaic, NJ. Mazal Tov to greatgrandmother Evelyn (Wiener) Elbogen, and to grandparents Sorah & Avrohom Lowinger of Toronto, Canada, and to the extended Kasdan and Lowinger families.
* Melissa & Chad Miller and Revital & Armo Hayun on the marriage of their children, Allie & Lidor. Mazal Tov to all of the grandparents, siblings, aunts, and uncles, both local and visiting.
* Sima & Richard Soskin on the engagement of their son, Yonah, to Sarah Taber, daughter of Nechama & Howie Taber of West Hempstead, NY. Mazal Tov to Yonah, his sister Eliana & brother-in-law Jesse Shkedy. Mazal Tov to Yonah's Bubbie, Esther Rosen of Bayside, NY, and to grandparents Joan & Philip Soskin of Monsey, NY.
* Nechama Goodman, on the passing of her father, Robert Stark. Shiva is being observed at 714 South Belgrade Road through Sunday morning.
* Light Candles by 7:34, and not before 6:28
Ashkenazi: 6:10, 6:35, 7:35 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:30 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:30
* Shabbos ends: 8:33
* 8:00 Rabbi Silver
* 8:45 Main Minyan, 9:15 Rabbi Shay Schachter
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – The Zaghi family in honor of the Shloshim of Yehuda Zaghi, Yehuda ben Nissan; and by Revital & Armo Hayun in honor of the marriage of their son, Lidor, to Allie, daughter of Melissa & Chad Miller.
* 8:45 Main Minyan/9:15 Minyan – YISE in honor of our Scholar-in-Residence, Rabbi Shay Schachter.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Shay Schachter – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Social Hall, will resume on September 1.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings in the Social Hall, will resume in September.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE, will resume on September 2. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com or 347-869-9361.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall, will not take place on August 27.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume in the fall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, will begin learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings in the Social Hall, when it resumes September 4.
* "On The Same Page" – Greater Washington Community Kollel community-wide learning project! Join the movement and study an Amud (page) of Gemara each week with others across the community! On the Same Page recently completed Maseches Rosh Hashana and will begin Maseches Taanis on September 1. Now is the perfect time to join! Men's classes include Sundays, 9:45 AM at YISE (part of Brunch and Learn) and Mondays, 8:15 PM (part of CLAS).
* Study on-the-go with weekly audio/video lectures
* Learn with an individuallyselected study partner
* Explore illuminating insights on the Amud, delivered directly into your inbox
To register: gwckollel.org/onthesamepage For more info, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org or 347-869-9361.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly. Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
YISE Programs and Listings
The Man With The Truck – Mr. Rosenberg is coming to the YISE Social Hall, Monday, August 26, 6:15 PM – 9:30 PM.
Large Print Siddurim – There are several types of large print siddurim available in the leftmost book cabinet in the main lobby and in the balcony hallway bookshelf. Large print siddurim can easily be identified by the neon green sticker on the spine and front cover. Please reshelve large print siddurim only in those two designated locations.
YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project – Three pre-Yamim Noraim Programs, September 8, 15 and 21. See flyer for details.
Substitute Teachers – Shomrai Preschool is hiring substitute teachers for the 2019-2020 school year. Please contact Suri Kinzbrunner at email@example.com for more information.
High Holiday Seats – Rosh Hashanah is coming soon! Have you forgotten to reserve your seats? Blank forms are in the box outside the Belonofsky Sanctuary and the Beis Medrash. Forms are also available on the YISE website at www.yise.org/seats Please complete and forward to the Shul office as soon as possible.
Hashomer – The Rosh Hashanah Hashomer will be published soon. To include your Rosh Hashanah greetings, place an ad or submit an article, email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the YISE office as soon as possible.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a Jewish history topic, Monday, September 2, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Yizkor Guide – The Yizkor Guide is used in all Minyanim for four Yizkor services during the year (Yom Kippur, Shemini Atzeres, Pesach and Shavuos.) As before, an unlimited number of name listings are available in the new guide for a Yizkor Guide sponsorship of $180. Alternatively, individual name listings can be purchased for $18 each. The deadline for Yizkor Guide sponsorships or individual listings is September 1. To sign up online, go to www.yise.org/yizkor If you have questions, please contact Marc Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org or Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
What to Do When a Family Member Dies: A Practical and Halachic Guide – The following document was prepared for members of YISE, by Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum and Hedy Peyser, MSW, as a practical and halachic guide to deal with the death of a family member. It will hopefully answer time-]sensitive questions that may arise immediately following the loss of a family member. Please feel free to contact Rabbi Rosenbaum with any specific questions. Additionally, it would be very worthwhile to consult an attorney and or an accountant for practical advice regarding legal and financial matters before and after the death of a family member. This document will not be providing legal or financial advice. To download the document, go to wp.yise.org/community-resources/death/
Community Programs and Listings
Shabbos afternoon Shiur at University Towers – 1121 University Blvd W, Apt 516, on Shabbos, August 24 at 4:30 PM.
Tzurba M'Rabanan learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group at 4:45 PM at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road.
Genealogy in the Comics: A Kids' Lecture for Grownups – Daniel Horowitz, genealogy expert of MyHeritage, will speak at a JGSGW Special August Workshop, co-sponsored with Bender JCC, Sunday, August 25, at the Bender JCC, 6125 Montrose Road, Rockville, Maryland. 1:00 PM Schmooze and Mavens Tables, 1:30PM Meeting and Speaker.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday night, August 27, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. This week's Shiur will be given by Rabbi Mittelman.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, August 28, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Ovadia Hayat at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Kollel Zichron Amram Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men – Labor Day, Monday, September 2, at YGW Boys Campus, 1216 Arcola Avenue, Silver Spring. "Siri – Break His Stuff!"- Indirect Damage and Practical Applications with Technology with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel. Shacharis at 7:45 AM, breakfast at 9:00 AM, learning 9:30 AM, Shiur 10:45 -11:25 AM. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
MitzvahCycle 2019 – Sunday, September 8. MitzvahCycle is an outdoor ride for men and women along the C&O canal or a road option nearby. Start and end at Rileys Lock. MitzvahSpin is an indoor option at Biker Barre in Cabin John Maryland for women only. Support your friends and neighbors facing medical crises and have fun at the same time! Ride. Sponsor. Volunteer: www.MitzvahCycle.org People facing medical challenges count on BCGW and we count on you!
Census Bureau Is Hiring.- The Census Bureau will be hiring thousands of people for the 2020 Census. More information and apply at https://2020census.gov/en/jobs
Chai Rollers – Did you know that Chai Lifeline is changing the lives of our neighbors, community members, and friends right here in the Greater Washington, DC area? By providing support through professional social workers and case managers that coordinate critical support services for a growing number of sick children – and their families – right here in our community, Chai Lifeline Mid-Atlantic is making a difference in the lives of our neighbors, friends and community members. Help support this amazing work at our first Chai Lifeline Mid-Atlantic fundraiser in the GW area on Sunday September 8. Chai Rollers will be an amazing Casino Night, at the iconic Fillmore Silver Spring. There will be casino games, great food and drinks, and great prizes. Every dollar raised at this event directly impacts children in OUR community living with pediatric illness. Learn more or register at: www.chailifeline.org/chairollers
Inspiration in the New Year – Join AMIT Birah Chapter of Greater Washington, DC on Tuesday, September 17 at 7:30 PM for keynote speaker: Dr. Miryam Kiderman, PsyD. The event will take place at a private home in Silver Spring. The cost is $18. Light refreshments will be served. Contact: AMIT 410-484-2223 or Robbiep@amitchildren.org for more information or register online at www.amitchildren.org/events Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the YISE late Mincha.
13th Global Siyum Hashas – GWCK invites men and women of the community to join them for an inspiring trip to the 13th Global Siyum Hashas of Daf Yomi at Met Life Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ, January 1, 2020 – 1:00pm. GWCK will be arranging bus transportation to and from the Siyum Hashas. For more information and to reserve your seat on the bus www.gwckollel.org/siyumhashas
The Greater DC Diaper Bank empowers families and individuals in need throughout DC, Maryland, and Virginia by providing an adequate and reliable source for basic baby needs and personal hygiene products. You can donate diapers and other items in Kemp Mill at the Licht home, 11609 Yeatman Terrace. Leave your donation in the red bin by the front door. Include your contact information so the Diaper Bank can let you know how much your donation is appreciated. To find out more about the work DC Diaper Bank does, visit www.dcdiaperbank.org If you have questions, contact Panina Licht at email@example.com
Capital Kosher Pantry – The shelves at Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry need restocking. Please help us replenish the foods so very needed by your friends and neighbors. Items most needed at this time include: Almond or soy milk, apple juice, canned fruit, cereals, granola/snack bars, healthy grains (farro, rice mixes), juice packs, pancake syrup, pareve crackers, pasta sauce, pizza sauce, rice cakes and vegetarian baked beans.
Please DO NOT donate pasta or matzah. All items must be factory sealed in unbreakable containers, Kosher and well within the use-by date. Donation boxes are located in area shuls, Berman Hebrew Academy, Moti's Market, Shalom Kosher, Torah School, YGW Girls Division and in front of Yad Yehuda House at 1910 University Boulevard West. Please place only packaged food donations in the boxes. You may also visit yadyehuda.org/pantry to shop online and have products shipped directly to the Pantry. Our friends and neighbors in need rely on your generous assistance. Thank you so much for doing your part.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; firstname.lastname@example.org
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday August 25 Monday August 26 Tuesday August 27 Wednesday August 28 Thursday August 29 Friday August 30
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 7:30 7:30 7:30 7:30 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:25 7:25 7:25 7:25 7:25
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:42 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:50 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:44 PM
August 30 – 31, 2019 – 30 Av 5779
Parshas Re'eh/Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles: Friday by 7:24 – Havdalah: 8:22
* Light Candles by 7:24, and not before 6:20
Ashkenazi: 6:30, 7:25 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:20 Sephardi: 7:05 Nusach Sefard: 7:20
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:22
Shabbos, August 24 Scholar in Residence, Rabbi Shay Schachter
Monday, August 26 The Man With The Truck, 6:15 PM
Tuesday, August 27 Board of Directors Meeting, 8:00 PM
Sunday, September 8 "How to Prepare for Meaningful Prayer", 11:00 AM
Shabbos, September 14 Meat & Greet, 1:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 28 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager