Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hamaayan, Likutei Torah and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 7 – 8, 2020 – 18 Av 5780 – Parshas Eikev
Light Candles by 7:54 – Havdalah 8:55
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Melanie & Sandy Karlin in honor of their 35th wedding anniversary, by Bobbi & Jules Meisler to honor Esther Edeson for her 36 years of work and dedication to our Shul, and by Florence & Larry Radkowsky to commemorate the Yahrzeits of their fathers, Emanuel Kramer, Menachem Nosson ben Mordechai HaKohen, and Aaron Radkowsky, Aharon ben Leib Zalman HaKohen.
* Jack Calman on the 60th anniversary of his Bar Mitzvah.
* Esther Edeson on the marriage of her grandson, Ian Hillel Edeson, son of Helene & Nathan Edeson of Brooklyn, NY, to Miriam Zami, daughter of Rochelle & Abraham Zami of Brooklyn, NY. Mazal Tov also to the Edeson, Zami & Stern families.
* Masha & Seth Katz on the marriage of their son, Yisrael Menachem, to Esther Yehudis, daughter of Naomi & Jan Meisler. Mazal Tov to grandparents Howard Katz, Bobbi & Jules Meisler, and Beverly Rosenstein. Mazal Tov also to Yisrael's brothers, Hershel and Meir, and Esther's siblings, Nossi and Chaya Malka, as well as to aunt & uncle Aliza & Manasseh Katz, and the extended Katz and Meisler families.
* Melissa & Chad Miller on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, David. Mazal Tov also to the siblings and grandparents Harriet & Ernie Brodsky and Jane & Stephen Miller.
* Hedy Peyser on the forthcoming marriage of her granddaughter, Ariana Brody, to Jonathan Silverman. Ariana's parents are Shoshana Peyser & Robert Brody of White Plains, NY. Jonathan is the son of Adrian & Lenny Silverman of Manhattan, NY. Mazal Tov also to Ariana on her graduation, Summa Cum Laude, from the University of PA School of Nursing.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County’s Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation.
If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
* Light Candles by 7:54, and not before Plag, 6:45
* Mincha: 6:35, 8:00
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (8:12 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (6:45 PM).
* Shacharis: 6:30,7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 10:35 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 5:00, 7:00
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:55
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and updated times, go to https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15- minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM (note new time) – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15- minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A. The Shiur will begin Sefer Daniel this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua,Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org Zoom B.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, will resume in Elul.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom H.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, will resume in Elul.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361. CLAS will resume in Elul.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver. For more information, please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom F.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 784 431 8176
Zoom F: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom H: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
* Shul reopening has begun! Go to https://wp.yise.org/planning-for-shulreopening/ for more details.
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register.
* All other activities at YISE are cancelled, including Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary. Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Programs and Listings
Yizkor Guide – The Yizkor Guide is used in all Minyanim for four Yizkor services during the year (Yom Kippur, Shemini Atzeres, Pesach and Shavuos.) Since Yizkor may be said without a minyan, we are preparing to home-deliver copies of the Yizkor Guide to all Shul members who regularly say Yizkor. As before, an unlimited number of name listings are available in the new guide for a Yizkor Guide sponsorship of $180. Alternatively, individual name listings can be purchased for $18 each.
The deadline for Yizkor Guide sponsorships or individual listings is August 21. To sign up online, go to www.yise.org/yizkor If you have questions, please contact Marc Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Navigating Emergencies in a Pandemic: Emergency Room or Not? When you should go and major differences when adults and children visit the ER. Avoiding repeat visits by following up with your primary care physicians, in-person and virtually. Some Halachic guidelines if you are in the ER over Shabbos or Yom Tov. Speakers: Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum, Young Israel Shomrai Emunah; Dr. Eva L. Moses, emergency medicine; Dr. Neil M. Siegel, family medicine.
Organized by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and Sulam School, co-sponsored by KMS, YISE, SSJC, Kehilas Ohr Hatorah, SEHC and Chabad of Silver Spring. Sunday, August 23, 10:45 AM – 11:45 AM on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Free Resume Workshops. – Andy LaCivita will provide free resume-writing workshops (one topic per session) on August 11, and 13. (Free replays will not be available.) For more information and to sign up, please visit https://www.milewalkacademy.com/andrew-lacivita-resumewriting-workshop
Taharas Hamishpacha Online Refresher Course – A free 4-part course for married women, taught by Chayie Chinn, Mikvah Manager at the Wallerstein Mikvah. Married women who are interested in this course should fill out the form at: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdtz0teb7OuTkyU_B0FE0vrLbRhoC8vmXRv2aZjBjh4nJD3wg/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1 The course will take place on 4 evenings in August and September (exact dates and times TBD, based on replies from the form). For more info, please email email@example.com
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, August 12, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them Daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Capital Kosher Pantry – Due to the closure of schools and shuls, the usual steady flow of food donations to the Capital Kosher Pantry has significantly decreased. We’re greatly in need of the following very popular food products: Canned white tuna and salmon, sardines, plastic bottles of grape juice, pizza sauce, Near East brand rice mixes, crackers, cereal, whole grain and regular pasta (not spaghetti), Nature's Bakery fig bars.
Please purchase these items from any store and then deposit them in one of our donation bin locations: in front of: YISE, KMS, Woodside Shul; in Shalom Kosher, at the front of the store, or in Moti's Market, near the store entrance; in front of the Capital Kosher Pantry – 1910 University Blvd., West, Silver Spring, MD 20902.
You can also purchase items online at Target, Amazon, Walmart and elsewhere and arrange shipment directly to Capital Kosher Pantry. Our online wishlist is at https://www.yadyehuda.org/pantry-wishlist.html Financial donations to Capital Kosher Pantry are always welcome too. We thank you for your continued generosity and Tizku L'Mitzvot! The Capital Kosher Pantry Team
Community Website for COVID-19 www.covidgw.com In an effort to simplify access to the plethora of available resources for COVID-19 assistance and information, Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington has created a stand-alone website that includes a wide range of resources for the Greater Washington Jewish community. Please visit covidgw.com Information on the site is culled from many volunteers and sources from within our community. New information is being added regularly; please visit often to view updated information and resources. May we all merit Hashem's mercy during this challenging time.
Please note: If you need assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out by visiting covidgw.com If you are not currently experiencing financial challenges, please consider a donation to assist others who are struggling during this crisis.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up.”
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE. Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM; Monday through Friday 6:00 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM. Mincha and/or Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 7:00 PM/6:45 PM (Sephardi)/7:55 PM/9:30 PM.
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:25 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:44 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:49 PM
August 14 – 15, 2020 – 25 Av 5780
Parshas Re’eh/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles: Friday by 7:45
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 12 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org – Sponsor name, Birthday or anniversary date, Name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Simi & Sammy Franco wish a very happy birthday to Norma Burdett!!!
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Chumash Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Silver's Tuesday Evening Parsha Shiur
* Rabbi Silver's Daily Chizuk Dose on WhatsApp
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support. Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's morning and evening Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Judy & Dr. David Marwick in memory of Mrs. Pet Perlmutter, Sarah Tovah bas Elchanon HaCohen, on the occasion of her Yahrzeit, 16 Av.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday morning Mussar Shiur
* Leah Covel
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* Margie & Michael Hourwitz in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend the Gemara shiur
* David Jaray for a Refuah Sheleima to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all who attend his shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday/Friday morning Gemara Shiur
* Debi & Max Rudmann for the Refuah Sheleima of Devorah Leah bas Chaya Rivka, Chana Fayga bas Nechama Yehudis, and the other Cholim of our community.
* Nomi & Jeremy Schnittman in memory of Rabbi Shaya Kilimnick, ZT"L.
Rabbi Silver's Erev Shabbos Parsha Drasha
* Nechama & Ted Goodman L'ilui Nishmat, Reuven ben Shmuel, Z"L, Nechama's father, Robert Stark, whose first Yahrzeit is today, 17 Menachem Av.
* Margie & Michael Hourwitz in honor of Rabbi Rosenbaum.
* Margie & Michael Hourwitz in honor of Seth and Manasseh Katz.
* Margie & Michael Hourwitz in honor of Sahra & Yale Ginsburg for all they do on behalf of YISE.
* Melanie & Sandy Karlin in honor of their 35th wedding anniversary.
* Fay Kasser in memory of her father, Avrahom ben Yitzchok Tzvi HaKohen.
Additional Tisha B'Av Shiurim Sponsor
* Janet Rottenberg