Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hamaayan, Likutei Torah and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 24 – 25, 2020 – 4 Av 5780 – Parshas Devarim/Shabbos Chazon
Light Candles by 8:08 – Havdalah 9:12
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Marla & Marty Teichman in memory of their son Jeffrey's Yahrzeit.
* Aliza & Dov Chodoff on the birth of a son on Monday, July 20. Mazal Tov to big brothers Nati and Yishai, and to the extended Chodoff and Blumenfeld families.
* Esther Edeson on the engagement of her grandson, Ian Hillel Edeson, son of Helene & Nathan Edeson of Brooklyn, NY, to Miriam Zami, daughter of Rochelle & Abraham Zami of Brooklyn, NY. Mazal Tov also to the Edeson, Zami & Stern families.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on the birth of two great-grandchildren: a son, Yoel, to Chana & Menachem Guttmann of New York, (grandparents are R' Simmy & Miriam, Z”TL, Guttman of Milwaukee) and a daughter, Chaya Tehila, to Eliyahu & Tovy Koss of B'nai Brak (grandparents are Miri & R' Reuven Koss of Netivot).
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on their grandson (in-law), Netanel Lindell, receiving Semicha from the Rabbinical Seminary of America. Mazal Tov also to his brother, Yosef Lindell.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on the birth of a greatgranddaughter, Dena Breindel, daughter of their grandchildren, Shira (Lerner) & Shmuli Berglas of Yerushalayim. Mazal Tov to grandparents, Shoshanah & Ari Lerner of Baltimore and Robin & Shaya Berglas of Toronto. Mazal Tov to great-grandparents Carole & Morty Pancer.
* Lynn & Aron Trombka on the birth of a granddaughter, Adina Nechama, born to Sara & Dov Fink.
* Linda & Ed Zurndorfer on the birth of a granddaughter, Ziva Chaya, to their children Shira & Sruli Stein of Carmai Gat, Israel. Mazal Tov to big sisters, Hodaya and Tzofiya, and to the extended family.
* Jeffrey Elikan on the passing of his father, Harry Elikan. The funeral took place on Sunday in Florida.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
* Light Candles by 8:08, and not before Plag, 6:56
* Mincha: 6:45, 8:15
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (8:26 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (6:56 PM).
* Shacharis: 6:30,7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 10:35 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 5:00, 7:00
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 9:12
Tisha B'Av Schedule
Wednesday, July 29
* Fast Begins: 8:22 PM
* Eicha will not be read in Shul. Eicha will be read online on Zoom at 9:45 PM.
Thursday, July 30
* Chatzos: 1:15 PM
* Fast Ends: 9:06 PM
* Minyan scheduling is not yet complete, watch your email for details.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and updated times, go to https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:15 AM – Zoom A will not take place on Thursday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A, will not take place on Wednesday or Thursday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua,Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, will resume on August 12.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org Zoom B.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, will resume in Elul.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom H.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, will resume in Elul.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361. CLAS will resume in Elul.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver. For more information, please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom F.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 784 431 8176
Zoom F: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom H: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
* Shul reopening has begun! Go to https://wp.yise.org/planning-forshul- reopening/ for more details.
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register.
* All other activities at YISE are cancelled, including Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Programs and Listings
Closing the Circle – Tisha B'Av, Tu B'Av and our future festival, a YISE women's Shiur with Rebbetzin Atara Rosenbaum, Sunday, July 26 at 11:00 AM. See flyer for details.
Connecting in Sorrow – Join YISE for Tisha B'Av programming on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
* Reading of Megillas Eicha – Wednesday, July 29, 9:45 PM
* Rabbi Rosenbaum: Yearning for Redemption in Dark Times: Thursday, July 30, 3:00 PM
* Rabbi Silver: Appreciating the ¡§Moed¡¨ of Tisha B'Av, Thursday, July 30, 5:30 PM
Come join Rabbi Koss's monthly Jewish History class now on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, August 3, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Yizkor Guide – The Yizkor Guide is used in all Minyanim for four Yizkor services during the year (Yom Kippur, Shemini Atzeres, Pesach and Shavuos.) Since Yizkor may be said without a minyan, we are preparing to home-deliver copies of the Yizkor Guide to all Shul members who regularly say Yizkor. As before, an unlimited number of name listings are available in the new guide for a Yizkor Guide sponsorship of $180. Alternatively, individual name listings can be purchased for $18 each. The deadline for Yizkor Guide sponsorships or individual listings is August 21. To sign up online, go to www.yise.org/yizkor If you have questions, please contact Marc Katz at email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT¡¨L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Building Resilience in Stressful Times – A two-part Zoom program offering coping strategies for children, adolescents, young adults and older adults, featuring seven speakers from the community organized by KMS. Sunday, July 26, from 9:30 AM to 11:45 AM; and Monday, July 27, from 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM. Meeting ID: 969 661 019. For a schedule of speakers and topics, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Free Resume Workshops. – Andy LaCivita will provide free resume-writing workshops (one topic per session) on August 4, 6, 11, and 13. (Free replays will not be available.) For more information and to sign up, please visit https://www.milewalkacademy.com/andrew-lacivita-resumewriting-workshop
Taharas Hamishpacha Online Refresher Course – A free 4-part course for married women, taught by Chayie Chinn, Mikvah Manager at the Wallerstein Mikvah. Married women who are interested in this course should fill out the form at: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdtz0teb7OuTkyU_B0FE0vrLbRhoC8vmXRv2aZjBjh4nJD3wg/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1 The course will take place on 4 evenings in August and September (exact dates and times TBD, based on replies from the form). For more info, please email email@example.com
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, August 5, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password 3671.
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them Daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Community Website for COVID-19 www.covidgw.com In an effort to simplify access to the plethora of available resources for COVID-19 assistance and information, Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington has created a stand-alone website that includes a wide range of resources for the Greater Washington Jewish community. Please visit covidgw.com Information on the site is culled from many volunteers and sources from within our community. New information is being added regularly; please visit often to view updated information and resources. May we all merit Hashem's mercy during this challenging time.
Please note: If you need assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out by visiting covidgw.com If you are not currently experiencing financial challenges, please consider a donation to assist others who are struggling during this crisis.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up.”
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Thursday, July 30 – Tisha B'Av
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE. Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM; Monday/Tuesday/Friday 6:00 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM. Mincha and/or Maariv: Sunday – Tuesday: 7:00 PM/7:00 PM (Sephardi)/8:15 PM/9:30 PM. Tisha B'Av times will be sent via email.
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:10 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:39 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM
July 31 – August 1, 2020 – 11 Av 5780
Parshas Vaeschanan/Shabbos Nachamu
Light Candles: Friday by 8:02
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, July 29 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Monday – Wednesday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Closed Thursday (Tisha B'Av), Friday – 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org – Sponsor name, Birthday or anniversary date, Name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Chumash Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Silver's Tuesday Evening Parsha Shiur
* Rabbi Silver's Daily Chizuk Dose on WhatsApp
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor.
Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's morning and evening Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Steve Kalin for a Refuah Sheleima for Leah bat Risa.
* Yocheved & Rabbi Haim Arzouan on the Yahrzeit of Yocheved's father, David Lasry, Dovid ben Harav Moshe, on the 27th of Tammuz.
* Judy & Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum in memory of Judy's father, Jack Mann, Yaakov Moshe ben Yechiel HaLevi, Z¡¨L.
* The Meisler families in Kemp Mill and Baltimore to commemorate the recent Yahrzeit of ¡§Aunt¡¨ Helen Spector, Z¡¨L.
* Bobbi & Jules Meisler wishing a Mazal Tov to Esther Edeson on the marriage of her grandson, Max, to Sarah Barth, and also for her recent grandson's marriage in July and a 3rd one coming in early August!
* Bobbi & Jules Meisler on the Yahrzeit of Bobbi's mother, Ann Altman, Chana bas Chaim Yankel, on the 3rd of Av.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* Chani & Jay Parness in honor of Rabbi Hyatt.
* David Jaray for a Refuah Sheleima to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all who attend his shiur.
Rabbi Silver's Tuesday night Shiur
* Denise Behar & Adrian Magendzo in honor of Adrian's mother, Rut Esther bas Yitzchak.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Parsha Drasha
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars in honor of Rabbi Rosenbaum and Rabbi Silver.
* Bobbi Meisler in honor of Captain Jules Meisler having celebrated his 60th anniversary of entering federal health services as a Commissioned Officer in the U.S. Public Health Service at NIH on July 19, 1960.
He moved throughout the military Service Commissioned Corps for 32 years of varied assignments and continued his health and welfare services as a civilian creating a total of 54 years of active duty. Besides his medals and commendations, his longest and most recognized service was in the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research at FDA where he continues to be employed on a 3 day contract basis when not volunteering at our shul!
Observing his dedication as his wife of 55 years as a YISE member for about 40+ years, he has made Bobbi very proud watching his successes and seeing how he passed down his spirit of giving his time for their shuls to our sons and grandchildren!
* Judy & Stuart Rosenthal to commemorate the Yahrzeits of Stuart's mother, Arlene Rosenthal, Chaya bat Baruch, on the 8th of Av, and also Judy's sister, Sara Marjorie Katzoff, Sahra Masha bas Reuven David, on the 13th of Av.
* Renee & Josh Seidemann to commemorate the 80th anniversary of Josh's Dad's escape from Germany (Tisha B'Av 1940).